WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Falcon Heavy

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Falcon Heavy arrives at pad for fit checks ahead of maiden launch...

What will soon become the world’s most powerful rocket made its inaugural public appearance yesterday, December 28, when SpaceX rolled their Falcon Heavy to LC-39A.

While the rocket’s inaugural flight is still scheduled for January, integration and for checks must be performed to verify that the new vehicle’s systems correctly interface with the facilities at the launch complex. SpaceX will still need to perform a static fire of the three core’s combined 27 Merlin 1D engines before the stack is green lighted for flight.

tumblr_p1pf173sOJ1rvtk1ao2_540.png

This will be the most powerful rocket to launch off the historic LC-39A since the Saturn V moon rocket and, at 5.1 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, the most powerful rocket in the world when it enters service. Currently, this distinction is held by ULA’s Delta IV Heavy, which, at 2.1 million pounds of liftoff thrust, can place just under half of the Heavy’s payload capacity into orbit.

Falcon Heavy’s demo mission will launch Elon Musk’s own Tesla Roadster into a solar orbit at roughly the distance to Mars. Since the vehicle is performing a test flight, no commercial or government payloads are able to be carried, leaving SpaceX free to choose their own ballast.

tumblr_inline_p1qlb8rUL31romqng_540.jpg

27449864329_042d355dcc_k.jpg

The photos show off the massive rocket in all its glory, still under construction ahead of its maiden voyage skyward. The vehicle, which will be the most powerful working rocket on the planet if all goes according to plan, is built on the company’s Falcon 9 rocket platform. Two Falcon 9 rockets serve as first-stage boosters, and the central unit is also built on the same nine-engine configuration. All 27 of those engines need to light up in harmony for the Falcon Heavy to succeed.

Falcon-Heavy-at-LC39A-3-SpaceX.jpg

tumblr_p1pf173sOJ1rvtk1ao1_540.jpg

The Falcon Heavy’s first flight, which Musk himself claims will include one of his own personal Teslas as a mock payload, will really be an incredible test of SpaceX’s know-how. Musk has previously said that engineering the rocket was a massive challenge with many pitfalls and problems, and that the team didn’t really know what they were getting into when they began it.

Musk is, of course, hoping that the rockets light perfectly, sail skyward, and that the Falcon Heavy completes its ascent and descent without issue, but he’s also being as pragmatic as possible.

“There’s a lot of risk associated with the Falcon Heavy, a real good chance that vehicle does not make it to orbit,” Musk said earlier this year at the 2017 International Space Station Research and Development conference. “I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it doesn’t cause pad damage. I would consider even that a win, to be honest.”

That might sound a bit pessimistic, but SpaceX is no stranger to failure. The company has lost many, many of its vehicles in the past, and it’s clear that Musk is setting his own expectations accordingly.

Last edited:

WAAZ

Reaction score
That awesome stuff. Witnessing a rocket launch is on my bucket list.

fmo24

Reaction score
I worked a Boeing Hunt Bch when we were building the Delta 3 and 4 rockets before moving it all to Decatur AL. The size of the payload fairings and other parts of the assembly were incredible. All hand laid up composites

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That's so badass.

We toured SpaceX once, it was amazing. Some RDPers work there if I'm not mistaken.

We were told that Musk works with the designers and engineers. I'd really like to know if the PR is true, or if he just micro-manages/meddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spectras only

Reaction score
That's so badass.

We toured SpaceX once, it was amazing. Some RDPers work there if I'm not mistaken.

We were told that Musk works with the designers and engineers. I'd really like to know if the PR is true, or if he just micro-manages/meddles.
He's no rocket scientist if that's what you want to know.>
Who Is Elon Musk?
Elon Reeve Musk (born June 28, 1971) is a South African-born American entrepreneur and businessman who founded X.com in 1999 (which later became PayPal), SpaceX in 2002 and Tesla Motors in 2003. Musk became a multimillionaire in his late 20s when he sold his start-up company, Zip2, to a division of Compaq Computers.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Yah baby. Those are 2 of 5
my projects.

The Payload attached fitting and the payload fairings.

I deal with the entire composite structure, minus the tubing and avionics.

They wouldn't even tell me what the payload was till 3 weeks ago.
tapatalk_1514644280205.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Bummer that one is launching from CC, instead of Vandenberg, that last launch show was awesome !!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Will this be one of those rockets that will land itself in an upright position?

fmo24

Reaction score
Will this be one of those rockets that will land itself in an upright position?
This one does not appear to be. Won’t be much left of it once it leaves the launch pad. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 minutes it has or starts shedding external boosters and other parts.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
This one does not appear to be. Won’t be much left of it once it leaves the launch pad. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 minutes it has or starts shedding external boosters and other parts.
I think they want to land all 3 parts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
It is pretty badass what SpaceX is doing. Hope he's not really launching a Roadster after just asking California for more Tax Credits. He should load up the Chinese Tesla deal and send it somewhere into Black Matter.

jpf091959

Reaction score
The Saturn V is still the undisputed champ of Heavy Loads.

Saturn V: Falcon Heavy:
Height:
110.6 m (363 ft) 70 m (230 ft)
Diameter: 10.1 m (33 ft) 12.2 m (40 ft)
Weight: 2,970,000 kg (6,540,000 lbs) 1,420,788 kg (3,132,301 lb)
Payload (LEO): 140,000 kg (310,000 lbs) 54,400 kg (119,900 lbs)
Payload (TLI): 48,600 kg (107,100 lbs) 16,000 kg (35,000 lbs)

Don't get me wrong, TESLA has accomplished an incredible amount, but pre-super computer days were owned by NASA.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The Saturn V is still the undisputed champ of Heavy Loads.

Saturn V: Falcon Heavy:
Height:
110.6 m (363 ft) 70 m (230 ft)
Diameter: 10.1 m (33 ft) 12.2 m (40 ft)
Weight: 2,970,000 kg (6,540,000 lbs) 1,420,788 kg (3,132,301 lb)
Payload (LEO): 140,000 kg (310,000 lbs) 54,400 kg (119,900 lbs)
Payload (TLI): 48,600 kg (107,100 lbs) 16,000 kg (35,000 lbs)

Don't get me wrong, TESLA has accomplished an incredible amount, but pre-super computer days were owned by NASA.

True, the mighty Rocketdyne F1 engines 1.5M+ lb of thrust has never been equalled.
During a test they had it dialed up to about 1.7M.

Too bad we lost all the tooling, skills, and wherewithal to make them anymore.

Its 55,000 HP (yes) fuel pump ( turbo pump) would deliver over 10,000 LB of fuel per second. Per engine.

That's some big boy shit there.

UD

4Waters

Reaction score
I just watched a special on the Saturn V rocket that thing was a beast on steroids, at top speed of the first stage (over 7 million pounds of thrust) it was traveling 3mi yes 3mi a second that equates out to roughly 14,000mph. Wonder what kind of ticket that would be at Disneyland.

Tank

Reaction score
It baffles me that the failure rate is still so high with space launch. Musk's own quote is if it makes it away from the pad with-out blowing up, it'll be a win. WTF? I know it's crazy complex and a lot of moving parts, etc. It just seems every time anything gets launched there's a LOT of fingers crossed, winging it kind'a shit. In this day and age with how advanced a civilization we are, you would think they'd have this stuff down to a science, so to speak.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I know right. You had about a 1% chance of dying in a shuttle.
Sheer complexity in terms of moving parts, weight and speed combined - it really is " rocket science".
The classic .50 cent part failure means something totally different at 20,000 MPH

Satellite lifting charges and insurance are all about the platforms record doing the lifting.

Heres an interesting link

http://spacelaunchreport.com/log2017.html#stats

UD

Tank

Reaction score
I know right. You had about a 1% chance of dying in a shuttle.
Sheer complexity in terms of moving parts, weight and speed combined - it really is " rocket science".
The classic .50 cent part failure means something totally different at 20,000 MPH

Satellite lifting charges and insurance are all about the platforms record doing the lifting.

Heres an interesting link

http://spacelaunchreport.com/log2017.html#stats

UD

That is a cool read. And it does appear the success rate is rather high. Guess we only hear about them when they blow up. A lot of stuff sent up this year!

4Waters

Reaction score
It baffles me that the failure rate is still so high with space launch. Musk's own quote is if it makes it away from the pad with-out blowing up, it'll be a win. WTF? I know it's crazy complex and a lot of moving parts, etc. It just seems every time anything gets launched there's a LOT of fingers crossed, winging it kind'a shit. In this day and age with how advanced a civilization we are, you would think they'd have this stuff down to a science, so to speak.

It's CARB they really put a lot of restrictions on the exhaust of rockets, no smoke on the snap test. LOL. I know what you mean, it does seem like there are a lot of failures, Elon has got a long time to go before putting a person in his rocket. That being said according to the show I watched NASA is building a new rocket for manned spaceflight, doesn't sound like they have a lot of confidence in SpaceX rockets.

If you guys are interested im sure you can find the episode on Netflix or Hulu. It was "America's Secret Space Heroes" "Saturn V" on the Smithsonian Channel.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It's CARB they really put a lot of restrictions on the exhaust of rockets, no smoke on the snap test. LOL. I know what you mean, it does seem like there are a lot of failures, Elon has got a long time to go before putting a person in his rocket. That being said according to the show I watched NASA is building a new rocket for manned spaceflight, doesn't sound like they have a lot of confidence in SpaceX rockets.

If you guys are interested im sure you can find the episode on Netflix or Hulu. It was "America's Secret Space Heroes" "Saturn V" on the Smithsonian Channel.

Actually Elons closing in on man safe ratings pretty quick.

Remember - hes been sending dragon capsules to the ISS a long time now - at any time if they were manned the missions all went as planned.

as the SOLE lifting system with a capsule escape safety system it will likely become the single safetest way for humans get to space - it will take a long time to match the records of the existing platforms - like the soyuz, but because of reusability he will get there quicker than anyone eve has.

UD

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Reaction score
If you needed a reminder that SpaceX is about to debut its huge new Falcon Heavy rocket, here you go.

The company just released some gorgeous photos and a spectacular video of the Falcon Heavy standing at Kennedy Space Center's fabled Pad 39A — the one-time jumping-off point for space shuttle and Apollo moon missions — ahead of its planned liftoff later this month. (SpaceX has not announced a target date yet.)

"With more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff — equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft at full power — Falcon Heavy will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two," SpaceX representatives wrote on Twitter and Instagram, where they posted the new video. [SpaceX's Falcon Heavy Rocket in Images]

That power comes from a whopping 27 first-stage Merlin engines — three times more than SpaceX's workhorse Falcon 9 rocket has. Indeed, the Falcon Heavy's first stage is essentially three Falcon 9 cores strapped together.

$

$

$

These three boosters are designed to be reusable; after liftoff, they will fly back down to Earth for pinpoint, vertical landings, as they do on most Falcon 9 flights.

Like the Falcon 9, the Heavy is a two-stage rocket. The second stage is powered by a single Merlin, which is identical to the one in the Falcon 9's upper stage.

If all goes according to plan, this month's shakeout cruise will send a red Roadster built by Tesla — the electric-car company Musk runs — into deep space.

"I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it does not cause pad damage. I would consider even that a win, to be honest," Musk said at a conference last July. "Major pucker factor, really; that's, like, the only way to describe it."

The Tesla Roadster inside will be playing David Bowie's Space Oddity "on a billion year elliptic Mars orbit"

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.24.26 AM.png

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I hope they pull it off. Hope they put lots of cameras on that roadster and capture it re-entering the atmosphere.

Last rocket engine I worked on was J-2X up at Rocketdyne. This is the second stage for the Constellation program.
This was taken at the test facility for some hot fire testing.

constellation-j-2x-engine-desk-1280.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
I hope they pull it off. Hope they put lots of cameras on that roadster and capture it re-entering the atmosphere.

Last rocket engine I worked on was J-2X up at Rocketdyne. This is the second stage for the Constellation program.
This was taken at the test facility for some hot fire testing.

View attachment 611511

Very cool, thanks for sharing !!
Thought I read that the roadster is being shot into a Mars like orbit around the Sun, assuming it gets there, don't think it's coming back. I can just picture some aliens finding it, thinking how does this thing fly and WTF is this doing up here ? lol

4Waters

Reaction score
Thought I read that the roadster is being shot into a Mars like orbit around the Sun, assuming it gets there, don't think it's coming back. I can just picture some aliens finding it, thinking how does this thing fly and WTF is this doing up here ? lol
Maybe they will reverse engineer it.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Maybe they will reverse engineer it.
Something tells me if they looking at it from Mars, reverse engineering it will be futile as they will likely consider it as simple as a hammer.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

No kidding, I'm wondering how they will boost it to that orbit. I'll have to read up on it.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I was at the Kennedy Space Center last week

Saw this ride on the pad (barley), still horizontal, from like 3 miles away

Was expecting to see a launch Thursday night but it got delayed, rescheduled for Sunday

I had to come home today.... one day I'll be there for a launch....

Incredible place, stainless steel everywhere! not only on the incredible machines but everything is made of stainless!

Highly recommended!!!

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Don't forget to watch it today!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Elon Musk has been setting everyone's expectations low. Listening to him you'd think it could (A) blow up on the launch pad, (B) separate during lift-off with the 3 massive boosters going in different directions having to be blown up, or (C) something else (not necessarily doing what is planned). The unknown result makes it really worth watching.

From the Orlando Sentinel newspaper today...

For today’s Space X Falcon Heavy launch, Playalinda Beach at Canaveral National Seashore is open to public and a popular place to watch a launch, but traffic was backed up over 4 miles to get in as of 8 a.m. For big launches when the park fills up, it often closes at some point.

A few miles away at the visitor center for Merritt Island National Refuge, staff called in all volunteers to work on Tuesday, expecting overflow from the beach.

Among those looking for the best place to watch the launch were Alma Lowry and Doris Meador, sisters from West Virginia. They were delighted to witness two SpaceX launches in their week on the Space Coast.

“I thought we’d head to the beach, but I don’t think we’d make it”, Lowry said around 8:45 a.m.

Peg DeTiberus of Titusville, a volunteer at the refuge, said she hadn’t realized the crowd would be so big until this morning.

“I’ve never seen so many planes and boats and cars out already,” DeTiberus said.

Launch set for 1:30 p.m. (10:30 AM Kalifornia time)
Today’s launch day for the Falcon Heavy rocket that’s key to the future goals of Elon Musk-founded SpaceX.

Launch time is set for 1:30 p.m. at Cape Canaveral, from Launch Pad 39A. Forecasters have expected an 80 percent chance of favorable conditions.

“I am sure we have done everything we could do to maximize the chances of success for this mission,” Musk said Monday during a prelaunch news conference. “Once you have done everything you can think of, if it still goes wrong, there is not much more you could have done. I feel at peace with that.”

Where to watch since KSC has sold out for Falcon Heavy launch »

The Falcon Heavy would be able to carry humans into space aboard SpaceX’s Dragon capsule, with destinations including the moon and Mars. The Hawthorne, Calif.-based company, for now, intends to carry one of Musk’s Tesla Roadsters into orbit, but it can also prove an ability to lift more than twice the payload of the Delta IV Heavy rocket flown by competitor United Launch Alliance.

Each of the Falcon Heavy’s three rocket boosters is similar in size and power to a reusable Falcon 9 rocket, which lands vertically.

SpaceX has not been without some notable challenges involving Falcon 9 rockets. Among them: a September 2016 explosion at Cape Canaveral that the company said likely was caused by a breach in the cryogenic helium system in the rocket's second-stage liquid-oxygen tank, and a June 2015 after launch from Florida that destroyed cargo headed for the International Space Station.

Reaction score
Upper atmosphere winds currently 20% above max allowable load. Holding for an hour to allow winds to diminish. #FalconHeavy

Delayed to 2:20 EST

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Side by side landing was awesome

Reactions: TBI

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Simultaneous landing of the side boosters was amazing! Waiting to hear about the center core