WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Exploding Pagers

oldman

Reaction score
A lot if places cell phones aren’t wanted because they have a camera in them. Pagers are “safe” and still allow a one way communication.
where?
no one has ever questioned my phone. and I'v been in prison's and places that demanded you took your shoes AND socks off.

gqchris

Reaction score
where?
no one has ever questioned my phone. and I'v been in prison's and places that demanded you took your shoes AND socks off.
One of my clients worked in a building with an FBI presence, we had to leave phones in a sealed shielded bag before entering. And also it didnt matter because they had jammers going as well. So the phone never had service anyways. Was pretty crazy.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
460503056_1980805869015541_4526745381551040962_n.jpg

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Slick. Creative. Genius. Frightening.

What Chinese products are in use in the US? Lenovo computers, almost every TV and radio? I hear lots of transformers for the power grid. Some have remote switches inside that can be remotely shut off. I don't expect they can blow up your laptop, but they could possible just kill it.

Secret “back doors” in transformers and generators imported from such adversaries as China and Russia could enable those countries to shut down the entire national electric grid, throwing the entire country into chaos.

Recognizing this threat, the Trump administration issued Executive Order 13929, declaring a national emergency with respect to the nation’s electric grid and prohibiting the acquisition or installation of “any bulk-power electric equipment designed, developed, manufactured, or supplied, by persons owned by, controlled by, or subject to the jurisdiction of such foreign adversaries.” In addition to China and Russia, the order identified North Korea, Iran, Cuba and Venezuela as “foreign adversaries.” -- Heritage Foundation Article

So at least we are aware of it.

oldman

Reaction score
One of my clients worked in a building with an FBI presence, we had to leave phones in a sealed shielded bag before entering. And also it didnt matter because they had jammers going as well. So the phone never had service anyways. Was pretty crazy.
I have been in buildings that I'm sure had jammers of some sort. no mention of it, but zero service.

JL95

Reaction score
I have been in buildings that I'm sure had jammers of some sort. no mention of it, but zero service.
My gym is next to our city hall, which is practically connected to it along with the Ace Hardware. They have to be running jammers during the week because on Saturday and Sunday the service is fine. Imagine being at Ace and not able to price check or look anything up along with no music/video service at the gym. I always have suspected jammers but for why...

Taboma

Reaction score
My gym is next to our city hall, which is practically connected to it along with the Ace Hardware. They have to be running jammers during the week because on Saturday and Sunday the service is fine. Imagine being at Ace and not able to price check or look anything up along with no music/video service at the gym. I always have suspected jammers but for why...
Remote weapons activation, electronic eavesdropping or hacking would be a couple of possible reasons ?? I've worked in DOD areas that were enclosed in a Faraday cage to prevent electronic intrusion rather than area signal jamming. There's a particular Navy building out on Pt Loma that this entire large building is essentially a Faraday cage to prevent Chinese and Russian Trawlers and aircraft from penetrating.

clarence

Reaction score
From an article yesterday:

In military matters, some tactics have effects far, far beyond the initial impact. The recent, sudden explosions of Hezbollah pagers is one such; no Hezbollah nutcase will ever again look at his pager or cellular phone again without seeing a grenade. . . .

Imagine the long-term implications of this. Hezbollah nutcases will never again feel comfortable carrying a pager or cellular phone.

DaveH

Reaction score
Remote weapons activation, electronic eavesdropping or hacking would be a couple of possible reasons ?? I've worked in DOD areas that were enclosed in a Faraday cage to prevent electronic intrusion rather than area signal jamming. There's a particular Navy building out on Pt Loma that this entire large building is essentially a Faraday cage to prevent Chinese and Russian Trawlers and aircraft from penetrating.
i highly doubt the city is using jammers as they are very illegal.

whats probably happening is there is a ton more traffic during the week compared to the weekend when the hall is empty. cell towers can only handle so much before they congest, making the service crappy for everyone. simply not enough lanes on the freeway.

and yes, nothing new with "RF proofing" of buildings to keep radio signals coming in or out. special materials are used, even in the windows, to shield the build or essentially create a faraday cage as you pointed out.

DaveH

Reaction score

In military matters, some tactics have effects far, far beyond the initial impact. The recent, sudden explosions of Hezbollah pagers is one such; no Hezbollah nutcase will ever again look at his pager or cellular phone again without seeing a grenade. . . .

Imagine the long-term implications of this. Hezbollah nutcases will never again feel comfortable carrying a pager or cellular phone.

maybe. a simple Xray of the device could show if its been tampered with. so while i agree this will disrupt their short term communications it isnt a permanent solution.

DaveH

Reaction score
often times the construction materials used, especially concrete and cinder block are natural RF barriers. get much cell service in an elevator? nope. even in modern building that have indoor cell antennas.

DaveH

Reaction score
That is why 5G was created. To be able to target the phone. 3G and 4G can ping you but 5G can actually target, seek and destroy...
3g and 4g phones had internal GPS. 2g phones didnt, but a triangulation network identified phone location. not as accurate as GPS but i believe the spec was to be within 80 feet. the tracking capabilities of 5g is no better then 3 or 4g.

clarence

Reaction score
a simple Xray of the device could show if its been tampered with.

Mossad agents reportedly placed Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN), a highly explosive material, inside the batteries of the pagers, sources told Sky News Arabia, according to a translation from the Times of Israel.

PETN could not be detected by X-ray screening.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I had to serve a bunch of individual FBI agents legal docs plus some dept heads. Yes, they made me leave my cell phone at the front.

Then a dept head met with me, looked them over and said we will take this one, that one, not these....oh ya...we will take those.

I was like WTF. Lol

poncho

Reaction score

There's some irony here, terrorists understanding what terror means in real life.

27Daytona

Reaction score
I’m just sitting here shaking my head that Pagers are still a thing, lol. I had one back in the 90’s before cell phones. Is this how terrorists communicate these days?. 🤦‍♀️

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
I’m just sitting here shaking my head that Pagers are still a thing, lol. I had one back in the 90’s before cell phones. Is this how terrorists communicate these days?. 🤦‍♀️

It's easier to replace batteries in a pager than to recharge a smartphone on the nightstand in your hidden cave.