WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Edd China to leave Wheeler Dealers

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looks like the new host will be Ant Anstead

https://mobile.twitter.com/DiscoveryUK?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

rvrrun

Reaction score
I hope he is on to bigger and better, he seems like a great guy.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... he is tall enough to play pro basketball in Italy maybe that's where he is going???...

sirbob

Reaction score
Hmm I wonder if the format will change - I liked Ed

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I read an article that said this was the only car show with no scripted drama. That is probably why everyone likes the show. I almost can't stand to watch any of the other shows. I don't get why the Producers think that Drama sells to a Male audience. :thumbsdown

[video=youtube;8IB15T1LYiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY[/video]

RCDave

Reaction score
That was my favorite car related show, mostly because of Ed. Sad its came to an end

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Edd leaving is a bummer. See if it stays engaging with Ant or not.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Guess that Edd was not liking the idea that they wanted branding, which means that he has to use the sponsors tools, rather than what he wants and promote them. We see that on the Sunday shows like Xtreme 4x4, etc. In addition, he says they did not want to document the detail he provided.....heck, that was one of the great things about this show. I will miss him and maybe not be such a fan in the future.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I read an article that said this was the only car show with no scripted drama. That is probably why everyone likes the show. I almost can't stand to watch any of the other shows. I don't get why the Producers think that Drama sells to a Male audience. :thumbsdown

There was no more realistic "motor show" than Rock the Boat. ;)

[video=youtube;GzMeFfmbwb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzMeFfmbwb8[/video]

westair

Reaction score
Edd sure made it look easy ....... best of luck to him:thumbsup

Cray Paper

Reaction score
The show as a whole was kinda lame, but I really liked it because they didn't push scripted drama to far (Gas Monkey, Boyd Coddingtons show, West Coast Choppers, OverHaulin, Diesel Bro's etc.) and actually showed a guy performing the tedious work and actually showing how some of it was done. I also found it refreshing that he really likes to work on cars, but knew which ones were pieces of S, like the Pinto.

I think the network gambled big time on what attracted viewers to this show, and the end result will show that it suffers tremendously.

I really like Ed China and he nailed it in the his farewell video above. He didn't toss anyone under the bus, articulated his reasoning for leaving (which I completely agree with) and wished his replacement the best. Class act all the way. reminds me of Aaron Kaufman of Gas Monkey. Guess it's a sign of the times, the Kardashioan syndrome of TV viewer's. The people pulling the strings in the network have no fucking clue how to repair or build anything themselves and think it can be done with a snap of the fingers, canned and sold in an instant.

It would be cool to see him and Aaron Kaufman hook up to build something in Australia.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
The only car shows worth watching now are Chasing Classic Cars and that Canadian guy from Legendary Motor Cars. Counts Kustoms isn't to bad yet, but they offer little detail as to the work they perform.

westair

Reaction score
The show as a whole was kinda lame, but I really liked it because they didn't push scripted drama to far (Gas Monkey, Boyd Coddingtons show, West Coast Choppers, OverHaulin, Diesel Bro's etc.) and actually showed a guy performing the tedious work and actually showing how some of it was done. I also found it refreshing that he really likes to work on cars, but knew which ones were pieces of S, like the Pinto.

I think the network gambled big time on what attracted viewers to this show, and the end result will show that it suffers tremendously.

I really like Ed China and he nailed it in the his farewell video above. He didn't toss anyone under the bus, articulated his reasoning for leaving (which I completely agree with) and wished his replacement the best. Class act all the way. reminds me of Aaron Kaufman of Gas Monkey. Guess it's a sign of the times, the Kardashioan syndrome of TV viewer's. The people pulling the strings in the network have no fucking clue how to repair or build anything themselves and think it can be done with a snap of the fingers, canned and sold in an instant.

It would be cool to see him and Aaron Kaufman hook up to build something in Australia.

I always thought Aaron was a class act also but he sure screwed Richard leaving with no notice in the middle of ongoing projects ..... ...must of been more to the story

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
The only car shows worth watching now are Chasing Classic Cars and that Canadian guy from Legendary Motor Cars. Counts Kustoms isn't to bad yet, but they offer little detail as to the work they perform.

I really only watch Wheeler Dealers and Legendary. Both are good shows without all the fake drama. I had to stop watching Gas Monkey, Graveyard Carz, Counting Cars, etc... because they are unwatchable. :thumbsdown

rrrr

Reaction score

When Wheeler Dealers moved to CA for a couple of seasons I didn't like it at all. I think their shop was the same one used by All Girls Garage or another couple of guys whose name I can't remember.

The product placement crap started, and I think the show suffered with it being in America. It lost that British cool it had, like when Edd would brew up a tea.

rrrr

Reaction score
I always thought Aaron was a class act also but he sure screwed Richard leaving with no notice in the middle of ongoing projects ..... ...must of been more to the story

When did this happen? I quit watching those hammer and rattle can nitwits long ago.

westair

Reaction score
When did this happen? I quit watching those hammer and rattle can nitwits long ago.

Current episodes so probably in Dec. .. I actually quit watching it also awhile back but just happen to see part of the new one when he told Richard he wasn't coming back.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Edd and Aaron Kaufman?????

As I posed, that would be a great show to watch. I didn't like Aaron at first because he was playing along, but from what I understand, he never liked the Gas Monkey mexican overhaul quick flip deal and always wanted to do custom high quality builds like the Eco Boost Pantera. That is the problem with these shows, networks and producers think no one will watch a detailed build that takes a year or two from start to finish. Maybe the money isn't there, but I know the audience is if it is technical and they have enough material. A majority of US citizens are introverts, that means a majority of TV viewers who are interested in real car building shows are interested in the product and how it was crafted, not the type A ++ extravert dipshit that knows nothing about what they speak and rely on the lowly introvert perfectionist to build their brand and who is always the loudest voice on these types of shows.

For me, I want to see the detail, leave the fake, artificially forced personal drama out of the equation. Show me how it was done.

slowride

Reaction score
I'm starting my own reality car show....
"One guy, two car garage and no money"

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
China should have moved on awhile ago.
He's the franchise.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

West Coast Customs has returned with new episodes that seem pretty interesting but more scripted with lame drama.
Mostly commercial projects that are pretty cool.
Probably so expensive the project needs a commercial sponsor.

The Germany shows sucked and they lost me when they took a nice, plumb vintage Corvette, tore it to pieces and it seems like all they used was one remaining lug nut, scrapping the rest.
Didn't make sense.

Bitchen Rides was good but seems to have lost that mega-result, dope project theme.

I still like Motorweek. Used to be called "Last Chance Garage" on PBS.
My dad had a Ford with the Variable Venturi Carb.
Bought it at the annual Ford White Sale in Ojai.
What a pos running car it was.
My dad wrote the show and Goss did a episode on it.
They had a V venturi Ford on the set, pulled off the carb, threw it in the trash and put on a 4 BBl Holly.
Problem solved.

rrrr

Reaction score

The new West Coast Customs shows are really bad. They have set up a separate niche in the shop and the build car is put together by purchasing stuff from product sponsors. They don't show much of the build, just boxes and pallets showing up and being unboxed while they talk about how cool the shit is.

You don't see any other builds, just the one vehicle all by itself. You can see what Edd is talking about by watching WCC, the show is just a friggin' advertisement.

Wheeler Dealers went to shit quickly when the show was moved to CA for a season. Watching this season you can see the abandonment of the shows original focus.

I think End didn't like doing things like spending $10K on crap that he bolted into a 60's Land Rover. A water pump with a hose to be dropped in a stream, water triple filtered and stored in poly water tanks. WTF?

The old French Citroen van Edd fixed up was cool, but an inverter and big batteries, LED strip lights, and again thousands spent on stupid shit. I thought that stuff just fucked up a really cool old vehicle. Edd did great work fitting the van with a Ford 2.2L engine, the bodywork and paint looked great. But all that extraneous shit was ridiculous.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

When Wheeler Dealers moved to CA for a couple of seasons I didn't like it at all. I think their shop was the same one used by All Girls Garage or another couple of guys whose name I can't remember.

The product placement crap started, and I think the show suffered with it being in America. It lost that British cool it had, like when Edd would brew up a tea.

It's my understanding that Rich Evans rented them shop space at his HB facility.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It's my understanding that Rich Evans rented them shop space at his HB facility.
I read in an article in which Edd said they moved to California so they could produce more episodes due to better weather.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If you guys haven't yet...check out Project Binky on you tube...good, technical, long term build.

jones performance

Reaction score
saw on jesse james instagram a week ago that hes doing a show on PBS. he pitched a show called american craftsman or someething like that, but it didnt go anywhere since it didnt show any drama or bullshit, it showed guys making stuff.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Road Kill :fighting:

Look I remember when there were no "automotive" shows on TV... Well maybe Motor Week.

I watch them all. Good and bad.

You boys keep pissing in your cheerios... I say any car show is better than watching Law and Order. :point

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... I will follow Ed all the way to China :eek

jones performance

Reaction score
Road Kill :fighting:

Look I remember when there were no "automotive" shows on TV... Well maybe Motor Week.

I watch them all. Good and bad.

You boys keep pissing in your cheerios... I say any car show is better than watching Law and Order. :point

even roadkill has turned to shit in my opinion. it started out great with low budget, adventure, just having fun to corporate sponsors, other people doing the work at times, etc. it doesnt feel as spontaneous and adventurous as when they started and product placement and shit, feels like any other show trying to pitch products now.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
even roadkill has turned to shit in my opinion. it started out great with low budget, adventure, just having fun to corporate sponsors, other people doing the work at times, etc. it doesnt feel as spontaneous and adventurous as when they started and product placement and shit, feels like any other show trying to pitch products now.

I have never met anyone that enjoys long hours and busing there ass for free....

Build an audience and then sell out....that's the key to life:D:skull

ltbaney1

Reaction score
this sucks to hear. I really enjoy the show, and it is because of him. that other guy drives me nuts.

jones performance

Reaction score
I have never met anyone that enjoys long hours and busing there ass for free....

Build an audience and then sell out....that's the key to life:D:skull

yup pretty much.. i watch it still but i dont pay for their motortrend on demand shit, but i also dont make it a point to watch it..

rrrr

Reaction score
I read in an article in which Edd said they moved to California so they could produce more episodes due to better weather.

That doesn't make much sense. Buy the car, put it in the shop. Who cares if it rains?

But the weather in GB can be trying. It can stay grey and rainy for weeks on end. If you pay attention to their test drives, I bet more than 80% are on wet roads.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
That doesn't make much sense. Buy the car, put it in the shop. Who cares if it rains?

But the weather in GB can be trying. It can stay grey and rainy for weeks on end. If you pay attention to their test drives, I bet more than 80% are on wet roads.

Weather-wise GB must suck, if you watched any of the Grand Tour episodes, the majority of the runs at the Eboladrome track were in wet weather.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
An update:

[video=youtube;umWmzN1MqWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umWmzN1MqWs&lc=z22ahdga4zyggn11iacdp4330ky3skqltaqgp3ec1klw03c 010c.1490633165149648[/video]