WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Droid X = impressive I must say, just a small comparison..

BigQ

Reaction score
So I have a perspective on these phones a little different then some may.I use a Blackberry 8830, Apple IPhone 3G and now the Motorola Droid X.

I Run a BES for work with various Blackberries on it and two service carriers, Sprint and Verizon. This allows incredible control over the phone and there is no alternative for enterprise access in my opinion for security, networking and mail Server integration.

On a personal side my wife runs a Blackberry Storm (V1). It has a lot of features even for personal use. Using mail, music, Facebook, App store etc. The phone has a lot of advanced features that the normal user just won't use and it still seems a little "business like".Performance is ok, but I know from experience the Storm II is quite a bit better phone all around.

We also run a few IPhone's at the enterprise level. I use a 3G (soon to be IPhone 4) and the phone is extremely user friendly, applications for almost everything, can use like an IPod for music, great screen, I really like the IPhone especially for reading emails (better then my BB8830).

But it is limited for enterprise email integration. I know they "make an app for that" for the inherent system shortfalls of the IPhone, but that really misses the point on a comparison to a BES and Blackberry client which is far superior. The IPhone is just "OK" as a phone and we haven't had to many compaints about the AT&T service. I may be a little bias since we use AT&T for out Internet and branch communications and the service has been outstanding.

On a personal level I really like the IPhone. The touchscreen is outstanding, applications are vast and the email is really easy to read and use as opposed to a BB phone. I like the fact of having all your pictures, music and communications on one device. It is a bit slow at times, but it is an older version. The interface is really getting tired also.

So I have never owned a smart phone for personal use, just a plain old phone that makes calls was all I needed. I do not do a lot of social networking (I work with computers all day, not exactly the social elite here) and was a little leary about paying the extra $30 a month for something I would probably not use much. I do however find it nice to be able to look crap up on the road and was really intrigued by the Android OS, so I caved.

Boy I am glad I did, I love this phone! The screen is HUGE and the touchscreen action is very smooth, I am very impressed when compared the touchscreen king (IPhone). The phone comes loaded with applications and the Android market expands daily. I used the built in navigation (not vznav) and it was incredible the way it works, really nice so far.I hooked it up to the computer and it loaded drivers no problem at all (using Win7 x64) and pulls up a nice little media manager that you can spec which app to use for music, pictures and folder access. Opened up windows media player , my personal choice, and right there was the DroidX, syncs no problem. Viewing and transferring files natively is very simple.

So we have not run an Android OS in the enterprise yet, but I assume it will be close to the IPhone and the Blackberry will still be the choice for business, can't beat BES, but with the Android so new to the phone market I can only guess what might might happen in the future. Apple had better expand the carriers or it might suffer the same dismal market share. And RIM needs to get on the ball with device design.

For personal use I think my friend said it best (who is an Apple fanboi) If you are a techno geek get the Droid, but get your wife the IPhone :D. Apple really has the end user use down to a science, but the Android OS really is more of a small computer in your hands and not being tied down by Steve Jobs gives it real potential.:thumbsup

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
What is enterprise and BES? You lost me. Thanks for the report though. I am looking to upgrade soon and thought the Droid looked like a good deal.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
BES = Blackberry Enterprise Server

It's Blackberry's crown jewel and it works very well.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I met a guy last week with one and he was showing me some of the features. Looks like I'm due for an upgrade. Just the speed of the internet alone over the blackberry is worth it to me. I'll miss the bbm, but it is what it is. It also had talk to text. Way cool feature, especially when your driving.

River Runner

Reaction score
I had a blackberry curve before now the droid x. It is certifiably bad ass. Super fast great video and picture, however i cannot figure out how to post pics on here from. Anyways great phone absolutely no complaints

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I haven't seen a phone yet that, for the average end-user, receives it's emails as instantly as blackberry's push email service. Not the Droid, and Not the iPhone...

I use Google Voice as my cell number, and have it forward all my SMS (txt for the laymen :D) to my gmail account which i have set-up on my blackberry, there is no delay in receiving messages, it's instant. My friends with iPhones, and Droids with Gmail/Google Voice only get instant messages about 25% of the time, and just by sheer luck at that, it usually takes the inbox update interval for the messages to show up, which can take minutes.... It sort of seems to be a known issue, as i've come across it in many cell and droid forums online. I have heard that the k-9 mail app for droid greatly improves email speed, but can't get a definitive answer and haven't used it in person....

I was looking at switching from blackberry to droid, but until i can be guaranteed email service as bitchin as blackberry i won't, since my email is my txt message service.

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
I haven't seen a phone yet that, for the average end-user, receives it's emails as instantly as blackberry's push email service. Not the Droid, and Not the iPhone...

I use Google Voice as my cell number, and have it forward all my SMS (txt for the laymen :D) to my gmail account which i have set-up on my blackberry, there is no delay in receiving messages, it's instant. My friends with iPhones, and Droids with Gmail/Google Voice only get instant messages about 25% of the time, and just by sheer luck at that, it usually takes the inbox update interval for the messages to show up, which can take minutes.... It sort of seems to be a known issue, as i've come across it in many cell and droid forums online. I have heard that the k-9 mail app for droid greatly improves email speed, but can't get a definitive answer and haven't used it in person....

I was looking at switching from blackberry to droid, but until i can be guaranteed email service as bitchin as blackberry i won't, since my email is my txt message service.
I have a Droid, you are correct the stock email app sucks ass. I would only receive my mail on the scheduled interval 50% of the time.

I am now using K-9 as a replacement for the stock app and it works great. The quikest you can set the poll interval for is 5 minutes, which is more than fine for me. It does get the mail every time.

Gmail works well also, that comes thru instantly every time.