WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dog seizures.....Need some HELP !!

Quick99

Reaction score
Well I decided to get my phat ass in some kinda shape this year so I been exercising. Walking the dogs and bike riding. I have two great dogs a Golden Retriever and the coolest dog ever a Lab/Sharpei mix. Well today was walk the trails day and both dogs were doing great. Almost made it home and my Lab mix starting having a seizure so I hold him till it kinda goes away but it took longer then usual this time. Scared the hell out of me. Hate to see it hes like one of my kids. Anyone have any luck with medications for seizures. Thanks for any input.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well I decided to get my phat ass in some kinda shape this year so I been exercising. Walking the dogs and bike riding. I have two great dogs a Golden Retriever and the coolest dog ever a Lab/Sharpei mix. Well today was walk the trails day and both dogs were doing great. Almost made it home and my Lab mix starting having a seizure so I hold him till it kinda goes away but it took longer then usual this time. Scared the hell out of me. Hate to see it hes like one of my kids. Anyone have any luck with medications for seizures. Thanks for any input.

I wish I had some advice for you man.. I know what it's like watching your dog and feeling helpless. :(

Where are you located?

RD

GoesTo11

Reaction score
We give ours Phenobarbital and Valium twice per day. Seems to help.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...There is a thread somewhere that gets into this in detail... ...Probably PB Open Water???... ...PM Rexone,...he either started it or had a lot of input on the subject...

Carrera Elite

Reaction score
I Had A Dog That Started Having Them. Took Her To The Vet, And They Put The Dog On Meds That Controlled It....

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I Had A Dog That Started Having Them. Took Her To The Vet, And They Put The Dog On Meds That Controlled It....

X2. I had a black lab that had them bad. Med's helped, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was they gave her. It was many years ago, and if it helps, she lived a long happy life :thumbsup

Quick99

Reaction score
I wish I had some advice for you man.. I know what it's like watching your dog and feeling helpless. :(

Where are you located?

RD

Fullerton Ca. I am off friday so off to the vett we go. Thanks everyone for the input. Mike

Last edited:

RiverRacerX

RRX Dude
Reaction score
We give ours Phenobarbital and Valium twice per day. Seems to help.

Same for us. I will say that the meds are very sensitive to weight. They make your dog get the munchies and my little dog was only 17ish lbs. He gained about 3 lbs and the meds needed to be increased. Make sure you stay on it. However, it may not be as crucial for a larger dog.

Hate to watch it though. He used to run straight into the wall full speed. Then seizure for about 45-60 seconds.

BigQ

Reaction score
Take her to the Vet, I had a female Akita that had that problem, put her on Phenobarbital and controlled it well.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Fullerton Ca. I am off friday so off to the vett we go. Thanks everyone for the input. Mike

i work with VCA Animal Hospitals doing their website. I'd urge you to go to their site and book a "free first exam" as pretty much any vet will require you to do their "first exam" where they take their weight, check teeth, etc before even talking about the seizures. A nice way to save a couple bucks and their doctors are top notch.

http://www.vcahospitals.com

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

epilepsy/seizure information:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...e/animal-health/seizures-epilepsy-in-dogs/757

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe...rticle/animal-health/testing-for-seizures/395

common meds:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/levetiracetam/771

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/phenobarbital/633

Last edited:

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
Our last dog used to have seizures. Vet put her on Phenowhatever as mentioned in this thread. It didn't totally stop them, but it definitely decreased the number and strength of them.

SloWhacker

Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit! Hope Bubbas gonna be ok.Take him to Cottage Pet Hospital in Anaheim.They are only 4-5 from u.Reasonable and they really good people.Bubba is the coolest funniest dog.Give me a call if I there's anything I can do to help...

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
My 4 year old beage had one about 6 weeks ago. He had just woke up in the morning and was outside. It lasted about 2 mins and he was drooling a lot. I took him to the vet and they asked if my gardeners put snail bait in the yard the day before. Well I asked them and no. So they said if they become frequent to bring him back and they would put him on meds. Im not a medicine person so I don't want to unless I really have to.

I just adopted him in December so I don't know anything about his health history. He is pretty heathly and normal. His only thing is separation anxiety. He follows me like a shadow all the time (of course I don't mind) and he cries anytime I leave. I can't walk out to the garage without letting him out. Also if he see's me grab my keys he know Im leaving.

So last Thursday night at the river he had another one. I called the vet again and she thinks he could've been stressed out going to a new place, being around new people and dogs. I told her I take him to the dog park and around other people all the time. He loves it. She again just thinks it was anxiety.

When I took him in they gave him a blood test and everything checked out fine. She aslo said as long as his drool isn't yellowish, not to worry. Dogs also can't swallow their tongues like humans can.

The first time he had one he was "out of it" all day. Last week his recovery was much quicker. He was back up and running around within ten minutes.

The vet said that only if it becomes consistent should I put him on meds. Im thinking of getting a 2nd opinion if he has another one. It's really sad seeing them go through this.

Quick99

Reaction score
Well today BUBBA is doing great but tomorrow hes going to the vett. I will feel better knowing I did everything I can do for him. He,s such a GREAT dog.

SloWhacker

Banned
Reaction score
Well today BUBBA is doing great but tomorrow hes going to the vett. I will feel better knowing I did everything I can do for him. He,s such a GREAT dog.
Cool.He's funny as fuk too...

edog

Reaction score
My dog "Mike" is a yellow lab, who is also my right hand man. He is 7 now, started to have seizures at 1-1/2 years old. They started him on Phenobarbital. The dose was based on his weight and blood reading of his liver. Then we lowered the dosage till we found a level that controlled his seizures. He maybe has had one in the past 6 years. The idea is too keep him on as low of a dosage as possible to control. As they get older they will require a higher dosage to control the seizures. Of course this is not good for their liver. There is another medication Sodium something. i can't remember the full name. After you get em under control you might think about switching. They say it is safer for the animal. I plan to switch, but you have to use both medications during the transition. you can't just stop pheno, once you start, or they risk having a siezure from that.

JMC

Reaction score
I have an mini aussie that has them as well. Vet put him on Pheno and the poor guy was just tranqed and in a daze all the time. I couldnt stand letting him be beyond stoned 24/7. I had him put on Kepra which is a anti seizure med for humans and isnt a tranquilizer. As long as he gets it in the morn and evening he never has them, AND he is his old self as far as personality goes.