WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Directv, Azzholes.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Ok who know how to get around their upgrade fees? I have five recievers and only one is not high def and want to upgrade it to high def. Been with DTV for over 12 years and they are giving me the runaround, talked to a manager and the best they could do is a $50 fee, orignally $200, to upgrade the last reciever. I have a problem paying anything for something I am paying a monthly lease fee for, am I the only one with this issue?

BTW tried the "i will cancel the service" thing and was left on hold for over 5 minutes waiting to talk to them.

:grumble:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Not sure but I read somewhere you get one free upgrade per year....at least that was the offer I used to get mine.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
I've got three I would like to upgrade, havent found a way to get around that fee either. Dont understand why I pay a monthly lease fee, and they wanted $99 each to upgrade.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
One of the main reasons we cancelled our service last year. Loyalty means nothing to them. We were with Direct TV from the very beginning.

satellitemike

Reaction score
They also gave me the option to purchase for $499 but still have the monthly lease fee of $6 WTF? They did say the were going to change the "lease fee" to additional rec. fee.

Anyone have a HD DVR they want to sell? I would rather give to someone else other than the man at DTV!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Your name is "satellite mike" and if you can't get to the bottom it a situation with DirecTV, the #1 satellite TV provider, then we're all doomed :thumbsdown

In all seriousness, I was under the impression that you get one free upgrade per year as well. The only receivers I can recall ever paying for were DTV TIVO's a while back. My new stuff has been free, but I didn't upgrade them all at once.

retaocleg

Reaction score
i dropped direct tv after they started charging me for things i did not ask for, things they added to my account without approval.. ie, baby tv, and a warranty service fee, eventhough i owned my equip outright. i complained, and they refunded the money(on my statement), only to recharge me for other things i did not order that amounted to the same dollar amount(pay per view). every month, i complained about the charges that were just moved to the next month instead of deleting from my account. i did this for 4 months, with the same result, getting the money charged for things i did not recieve. after talking to the rep the last time(who said they were sorry everytime) upon recieving the next bill, sure enough, the dollar amount i was wrongfully charged was back on my statement, and i went apeshit. they said the fees associated were for not paying on (fraudulent) balance. i said fine, cancel my subscription and disconnect, which happened immediatly.............no tv for you! about a month later, i recieved a bill for not only the overages, but for 5 weeks of service after canceling. i told them i would not pay, and what they did in return was to send my account to a collection agency, with the fraudulent charges and for the late fee..........that was 3 years ago...........guess who didnt get paid....customer service is for shit, and i'd still be a customer who always paid his bill, if not for the highjinks........it was principle. i now have netflix and do not see any need for tv, it is just a bunch of crap anyways.......direct tv sux

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
My advice..... if you don't like what you're hearing from one person, hangup and try another. Ask for a Supervisor right away. Tell them you are considering other providers. I went back and forth alot. I ended up with 5 new HD boxes (1 DVR) AND 2 new dishes cuz I have a pool house out back. All for free. Was a long time customer too. I actually had AT&T Uverse hooked up at my house on a 30 day trial trial at the time. That may have helped. :D Gotta haggle baby.

soupersonic

Reaction score
Dish Network is the same shit. They want 200 to upgrade to hd receivers with dvr even tho you dont own the receiver and pay fees to have them. Shitty programming and crappy service.I guess if it wasnt for sports i would cancel TV all together.

pronstar

Reaction score
My advice..... if you don't like what you're hearing from one person, hangup and try another.

That's my biggest complaint with DirectTV - you never know if you're getting the straight-up answer from anyone you talk to.

It's like a kid asking mom if they can have desert.
If she says no...go ask dad. Just don't tell dad that your mom said no already.

Duffster

Reaction score
Just call them and say Dave Johnson gave his approval for the upgrade. :)

satellitemike

Reaction score
Your name is "satellite mike" and if you can't get to the bottom it a situation with DirecTV, the #1 satellite TV provider, then we're all doomed :thumbsdown

In all seriousness, I was under the impression that you get one free upgrade per year as well. The only receivers I can recall ever paying for were DTV TIVO's a while back. My new stuff has been free, but I didn't upgrade them all at once.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to realize the name? I was a DTV and dish dealer from the begining till about 2001. Life was good then had all programing excluding Pay per view for free for about 6 years.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
A few years ago I called up and cancelled my service and then signed back up in my wife's name and got all new hardware, used my office address. I also know the vendor who did the install so we weren't without t.v..

PLACECRAFT20

Reaction score
I had dish and had the same problem. I told them to cancel service in 30 days. My contract had been up for years. I went to the dish tv store got new and better shit with my wife's name on it. It took about a week for the whole deal went through signed another one year contract and was back in business.
Now I told them to fuck off and got cable.

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
Verizon fios has been awesome. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

SBjet

El Presidente for Life
Reaction score
I signed up for direct tv a few months ago. Part of the deal was "free HD for life." Which sounds great, then you realize everything is going to be HD soon anyway.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I have heard good things about Fios but I have DTV at both places and only one bill, thats the only reason I still have it.

37 boat

Reaction score
I just went through this, wanted to upgrade the last standard definition receiver in my house, I registered on directv website and the price for a hidef dvr was 200.00. I added to my shopping cart and it showed up in the cart as free as long as I agreed to a two year contract extension. I ordered it and it showed up on my door step next day. It was a refurb, but I understand thats what everyone gets anyways because all receivers are leased now. You might want to register on the website and try this.

JMC

Reaction score
I have a 4 digit account number with DTV. Got in the 1st week they started up so you would think they liked me, but no. Anyway, I go through the same crap with them about every 4 or 5 years. Dish is always after me so I just take the deal that dish offers and tell DTV to beat it, and they always do. I have 5 receivers and I had to pay $75 on one of them for the full receiver upgrade when I moved houses last year. They dont care as much about the equipment as they do that service bill each month. Kinda like cell phones are now.

Struv

Reaction score
Call this # 1 (800) 531-5000. I have spoken with them a few times and have been told by them that have alot more flexability in giving discounts and free services to keep the customers happy. I have been able to get alot farther with this group then the general customer service that has their hands tied on what they can do... Let us know how it works out.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Call this # 1 (800) 531-5000. I have spoken with them a few times and have been told by them that have alot more flexability in giving discounts and free services to keep the customers happy. I have been able to get alot farther with this group then the general customer service that has their hands tied on what they can do... Let us know how it works out.

According to my billing statement, this IS the general customer service line. It's the one I always call.

pronstar

Reaction score
According to my billing statement, this IS the general customer service line. It's the one I always call.

LMAO

double-facepalm.jpg

Struv

Reaction score
Haha... Ok, had to go back and look at my notes on this. Forgot to mention what you need to say when you call that number.

1) Call 1-800-531-5000
2) At the prompt say "Cancel"
3) At the next prompt "Cancel" again
4) You will now be connected to a retention rep (No need to threaten to cancel)

When I did this a while back I got the RedZone for free and $40 off my bill for a year. So did a ton of other people

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I switched to Fios and for the same programming I saved about $70.00 per month. I like DirecTv better; however, I like saving the extra $70.00 per month more and they (Fios) offered me a $500 visa gift card to switch

pronstar

Reaction score
I switched to Fios and for the same programming I saved about $70.00 per month. I like DirecTv better; however, I like saving the extra $70.00 per month more and they (Fios) offered me a $500 visa gift card to switch

Are you under the trial period with a discounted monthly rate?

When I looked to switch, FIOS cost more than my DirecTV after the trial period ended. Programming and equipment rentals we're a bit higher than DirecTV.

This Tapatalk post was created on an overpriced Apple product and is approved by RDP Nation

Patyacht

Reaction score
How much to cancel if you're still under contract? I put my account in suspension for 6 months. I wanted an extension --- They said no --- I asked for a supervisor and threatened to stop and they gave me 3 more months. But I figure they will play hard ball if I ask again so I just might tell them to F off.

As a side note, I know several states who have sued DTV for deceptive practices so they are trying to keep their customers happy now.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Are you under the trial period with a discounted monthly rate?

When I looked to switch, FIOS cost more than my DirecTV after the trial period ended. Programming and equipment rentals we're a bit higher than DirecTV.

This Tapatalk post was created on an overpriced Apple product and is approved by RDP Nation

Yes we are; however, with our rate it's going to go up after the first year $10.00 which still makes it quite a savings from DirecTv, plus the gift card. One thing that my wife likes is the ability to record two shows at once and watch a third "live" tv which we couldn't do with DirecTv. I will say I don't like the guide as much as I do with Direct, but like I said it's not worth the extra 60-70 per month for the guide.

pronstar

Reaction score
Yes we are; however, with our rate it's going to go up after the first year $10.00 which still makes it quite a savings from DirecTv, plus the gift card. One thing that my wife likes is the ability to record two shows at once and watch a third "live" tv which we couldn't do with DirecTv. I will say I don't like the guide as much as I do with Direct, but like I said it's not worth the extra 60-70 per month for the guide.

I think you get used to the guides as they become familiar with use. I hated DirecTV's guide compared to TiVo's but soon forgot all about the TiVO guide.

You can record more than two shows while watching another with DirecTV but only if you have their whole home networking setup and multiple DVRs. Definitely more complicated than FiOS.