WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Diesel engine upgrades?

Tank0088

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on what engine upgrades to do to 2500 diesels? My EGT’s have gotten hot enough to ruin two exhaust manifolds. I added an Edge CT3 programmer but it doesn’t give me the EGT I wanted so I may have to tap into the manifold to put a thermostat. I would like to delete the truck but I don’t want to deal with CHP and possibly getting State Ref’d. I’ve looked into registering my vehicle out of state as a “non resident” and that also seems to be a pain. I live in California so there is almost every restriction on Diesels as possible. Any suggestions or has anyone else have temp issues?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I believe there are still 6 counties in Cali that dont require the emissions testing, except on new registrations... Just as a delete option

Notice I said "Still"..

who knows how long they will hold out..

Check with Banks.... he seems to be the expert at quality diesel performance mods and keeping emissions intact...

Dunerking

Reaction score
Compounds should fix this.
Sounds like your towing heavy…and/or extremely long steep grades.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on what engine upgrades to do to 2500 diesels? My EGT’s have gotten hot enough to ruin two exhaust manifolds. I added an Edge CT3 programmer but it doesn’t give me the EGT I wanted so I may have to tap into the manifold to put a thermostat. I would like to delete the truck but I don’t want to deal with CHP and possibly getting State Ref’d. I’ve looked into registering my vehicle out of state as a “non resident” and that also seems to be a pain. I live in California so there is almost every restriction on Diesels as possible. Any suggestions or has anyone else have temp issues?
You have an underlying issue you are not addressing which needs to be figured out first…. Fueling or restriction is first thought. Sticky injector really on my mind bc I dealt with it

oldman

Reaction score
Info on the truck, Year make model, what mods have been done, and what are you towing (Weight wise)when you have issues would help.

And what and where are you monitoring EGT's at Also.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
You have an underlying issue you are not addressing which needs to be figured out first…. Fueling or restriction is first thought. Sticky injector really on my mind bc I dealt with it
I was thinking the same thing. And as stated above, what truck etc. What fuel pump? I’d do a good lift pump with filter and if it’s a CP4, look into that as well before going too much further.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Register it in Az and delete it.

Careful if considering this. I had to take mine to the GMC dealership in Tennessee where there are no smog checks. First thing they asked was “has it been deleted?” When I said no, they said good, because if it had been we could not touch it. Do your homework!

D19

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s getting too much fuel. I had one that did that, the EGT would climb, mostly on grades. When it did I would downshift and that would help cool it down a few hundred degrees. You got get the rpm’s up to cool it.

A lot of the DPF delete tunes out there push more fuel and create heat/ soot so that alone won’t solve your problem. Been there done that. There’s positives and negatives to deleting and as cool as it is to have a deleted truck I don’t know if I would do it again (and I’m registered in no smog az).

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I used these guys to get tunes on my non deleted 4th gen Cummings 2500, lots of options, they keep you legal (as far as I know) and provide tunes for whatever your building. I have the Ezlynk Auto Agent and just run everything off my iPhone.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Without knowing any details, damn hard to guestimate. A lot of guys up here put tuners on with different settings, then still tow with it turned up to 11. It hauls ass, until the egt's get out of hand. Once that happens, coolant temps start climbing trying to cool the heads, and it's tough to bring it down.
If it's an injector issue...don't know what motor...can go from high egt's to cutting torch. Can lose a head, block, piston...or all of the above.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Would help to know what animal you are talking about.

Tank0088

Reaction score
It’s a Dodge 6.7 Cummins. The edge tuner is the minimal programmer (it’s not the juice). I keep it on stock mode and the EGT’s still seem to climb even when I’m not towing. The last time I cracked the manifold I was towing a 36’ toy hauler with nothing in it up the hill going to Mammoth. After that is when I got the programmer to watch the EGT’s. I’ve learned to downshift to get the RPMs higher and the temps go down.

oldman

Reaction score
It’s a Dodge 6.7 Cummins. The edge tuner is the minimal programmer (it’s not the juice). I keep it on stock mode and the EGT’s still seem to climb even when I’m not towing. The last time I cracked the manifold I was towing a 36’ toy hauler with nothing in it up the hill going to Mammoth. After that is when I got the programmer to watch the EGT’s. I’ve learned to downshift to get the RPMs higher and the temps go down.
Where is it pulling EGT's from, and what are they?

Pre turbo or post? is it reading from the ECU? Just trying to get info to help. in stock form that should be pretty bulletproof

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Where is it pulling EGT's from, and what are they?

Pre turbo or post? is it reading from the ECU? Just trying to get info to help. in stock form that should be pretty bulletproof
In stock form, the dpf causes a bit higher egt's when towing. Not too familiar with the stock setup with an Edge though.

575cat

Reaction score
EGR creates a lot of heat also 1000 1300+ is not uncommon

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

First thing (and easiest) to check, is to make sure your not trying to pull heavy uphill down where peak torque is. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive.......but peak torque is usually peak EGT under sustained heavy load. Try downshifting a gear and letting it rev a bit higher. The newer trucks have more gears and better factory programming to make sure you are in the right gear, but the older trucks would often end up choosing to high of a gear and EGT's would get high unless you commanded a lower gear.

What truck / motor do you have, and what RPM are you pulling at when EGT's are getting high?

Bobby_329

Reaction score
Keep it above 2K rpm climbing that's what I've learned with my duramax. Box tuners are just going to add fuel at lower rpm's which is going to make EGT's worse.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

In the first post you said it doesnt have EGT and you want to add a thermocouple, but here it seems like you can watch EGT somehow?

How hot are you seeing EGT wise and what location is the reading coming from?

Lumpy

Reaction score
Just re read some of this. If you’re melting down manifolds you are melting your mill sir. I don’t care where the EGT’s are being read from…if your probe is in the manifold it’s melting down too.

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
I’d recommend the Fleece Coolant Bypass Kit to help cool the rear cylinders. Has its own 180* thermostat and I’ve installed a 180* main and it holds a steady 180‘s temp now. Remove the rear freeze plug (above the trans), replaces it with a billet aluminum thermostat housing. its a nice kit and CAN be installed without pulling the motor or trans.
Sounds like you‘re overfueling if you’re heating up that much.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I have an 03 5.9 I run a vivid lynq tuner and it would get hot until I upgraded to a bigger turbo. But as stated above is does sound like you have some other issue and anything you do that doesn't fix that is just going to mask the real problem

Tank0088

Reaction score
Sorry for not keeping up with all of the responses. So the Edge has EGT readings based off of the sensors it connects to in the stock location so I think the first EGT temp sensor is below the elbow of the exhaust. At that first sensor location I’m getting between 750-900 temp without towing. I was told that I don’t want EGT’s to get more then 1200-1250 at the manifold.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Sorry for not keeping up with all of the responses. So the Edge has EGT readings based off of the sensors it connects to in the stock location so I think the first EGT temp sensor is below the elbow of the exhaust. At that first sensor location I’m getting between 750-900 temp without towing. I was told that I don’t want EGT’s to get more then 1200-1250 at the manifold.
750-900 is too high cruising down the road not towing…something definitely going on. I pull some long hard grades with my 2003 7.3 PS and can hit that 1250 mark easily…I just back it off and drop a gear. Cummins is a great engine but something is going on. I would plug that thing into a big scanner and go from there. Do a lot of research…someone has to have seen this before.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Snow Performance Water Methanol should help. They can be set for power or for EGT’s or both.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Drive over to Parker, get Allstate insurance in Lake Havasu, register at the DMV in Parker, Save money and delete your truck.

The only reason I'm not doing it right now is I'm in the midst of a lemon law case. I did it on my last 3500 and would do it again in a flash.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Edge programmer leads me to believe it’s a 7.5-10 6.7, Pre-DEF. Are you sure the DPF is not clogged? Are you able to return to the stock tune to see if the problem persists? Is the EGR functioning properly? Has the truck thrown any codes?

wzuber

Reaction score
Are all you guys suggesting deleting the truck not aware of the feds cracking down on removing federal required emissions? Feds don't care what state your in. I hear the fines are quite hefty too. It's been talked about extensively on the diesel truck forums.

ChrisV

Reaction score
Get rid of the edge programmer and put efi live on it once you delete it.

adam909

Reaction score
Are all you guys suggesting deleting the truck not aware of the feds cracking down on removing federal required emissions? Feds don't care what state your in. I hear the fines are quite hefty too. It's been talked about extensively on the diesel truck forums.
I agree. Its not worth it. I have friends with deleted trucks at first they thought it was cool and helping the truck last(which it does) But now they are worried about getting caught. Deleted straight pipe Cummins just stand out due to the loudness it gives off.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I’d call Yup Boys in the Menifee area. They did a great job with the few small issues I had with my truck.

dribble

Reaction score

The feds typically don’t go after individuals. They go after companies that build and install the systems. They leave individual enforcement up to the states.

wzuber

Reaction score
The feds typically don’t go after individuals. They go after companies that build and install the systems. They leave individual enforcement up to the states.
That's been true In the past but from what I've read on DT forums and such they're (epa, aqmd) are starting to go after individuals and forcing them to roll.over on their tuners, suppliers etc. I've read it can be up to $10k/ violation so egr, cats, turbo mods, tuner could be up to $40k. Just relaying info here from what I've read etc. I don't care what people do to their trucks myself. I've seen the fed trucks (Forrest svc etc.) Don't comply with their own rules. They don't have egrs etc. Only us lowly masses are subjected to this shit....if parts weren't so difficult to get for my 04, LB7 I would've just fixed it and continued on. I bought a low miles 2008 instead.

dribble

Reaction score
That's been true In the past but from what I've read on DT forums and such they're (epa, aqmd) are starting to go after individuals and forcing them to roll.over on their tuners, suppliers etc. I've read it can be up to $10k/ violation so egr, cats, turbo mods, tuner could be up to $40k. Just relaying info here from what I've read etc. I don't care what people do to their trucks myself. I've seen the fed trucks (Forrest svc etc.) Don't comply with their own rules. They don't have egrs etc. Only us lowly masses are subjected to this shit....if parts weren't so difficult to get for my 04, LB7 I would've just fixed it and continued on. I bought a low miles 2008 instead.

I question all of that. I’m not aware of a single individual who’s been brought up on federal charges for deleting his personal pickup. Fleets yes. The only regulation I’m aware of regarding federal govt. is 40 CFR 85.1708 (vehicles built for the military and other tactical and national security purposes) In these cases the manufacturer receives an exemption from the federal agency they are building the vehicle for, ie. The US Army, FBI etc.