WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm

hallett21

Reaction score
How much does it cost to enter. I have never done a poker run and from spectating last year it seemed like an awesome event to start with. How late can you sign up until?

nelsonlaptop

Reaction score
The entry is $425 and that includes enough for 2 people. $50 for each additional person. Go to www.lakeracerllc.com Click on Register Online and it will give you the pricing.

The run is fun, but the parties are great!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
thanks guys!

It is a lot of fun! I did it a few years back and had a blast.. One of these days I'll do it again. I'm always so busy with things surrounding the event now it makes it difficult. :(

Make sure you say hello to my wife at Card Stop # 1!

RD

hallett21

Reaction score
It is a lot of fun! I did it a few years back and had a blast.. One of these days I'll do it again. I'm always so busy with things surrounding the event now it makes it difficult. :(

Make sure you say hello to my wife at Card Stop # 1!

RD

be sure to do so. So I would be doing it in a Vector which has nothing on some of the stuff out there. Am I in over my head or do they let the little guys go first?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
be sure to do so. So I would be doing it in a Vector which has nothing on some of the stuff out there. Am I in over my head or do they let the little guys go first?

Last!

hallett21

Reaction score
is it like driving in a washing machine at that point?

hallett21

Reaction score
Cause it didn't look smooth from the sidelines lol

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Definately a great time. The boats are in classes by speed, but it still gets pretty crazy when the first wave comes back up the lake at 150 plus and your wave is heading down the lake. Its a rush with so many boats hauling ass, helicopters buzzing the place, lots of spectator boats, etc.

hallett21

Reaction score
Definately a great time. The boats are in classes by speed, but it still gets pretty crazy when the first wave comes back up the lake at 150 plus and your wave is heading down the lake. Its a rush with so many boats hauling ass, helicopters buzzing the place, lots of spectator boats, etc.

so just a rush of adrenaline?!?!?!? :D:D

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
You're gonna do the poker run in a 21' boat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

is it like driving in a washing machine at that point?

You don't have to do the stops in order.. When I did it, the 1st wave went south.. I went North. :D At one point though yes it was a washing machine, but it cleared up pretty quick as the boats spread out.

RD

hallett21

Reaction score
You're gonna do the poker run in a 21' boat?

i don't plan on breaking any records. Id just like to partake in DS. I figured at worst I'd move out of the way when the big boys come around the corner

hallett21

Reaction score
whats the average size? I saw a lot of baller boats but I did see normal boats as well by normal I mean 26-28 ft

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
i don't plan on breaking any records. Id just like to partake in DS. I figured at worst I'd move out of the way when the big boys come around the corner

You'll be fine.. When they are coming at you they are so spread out it's not an issue. On the way to the 1st card stop / 1st flight, is the only hair raising concern.. and you won't be in that group.

RD

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Go for it.........after the big dogs get back up the lake it really mellows out quite a bit, and they are already back up the lake and almost done with the run before the slower classes start. 26 miles up and back doesnt take long at 150 plus for some of these folks.

hallett21

Reaction score
im sure head to head with this will be fun lol

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpg
    IMG_4058.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 106

nelsonlaptop

Reaction score
It does get tense. I am in a 25' and I stand the whole time. I have a deep V, so I keep the tabs and trim down when I come head to head with the first wave. "Driving in a washing machine" is a good way to put it.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Ride your ride. First year I was in a group comparable to a speed i wanted to run. Next year I was in a fast group, I drove at a pace I was comfortable with. Most of the group left me but I didn't care. There was a guy with what seemed to be a 21-23 Schiada in our group, that guy had stone and was right there in the mix. On the entry form they ask what speed you want to run. They will put you with a comparable group, but it's all like a washing machine!

hallett21

Reaction score
im thinking Id run an honest 45. I can do high 60's low 70's with the right prop but something tells me I wont keep that up

C-2

Reaction score
We did the SCOPE poker run to Catalina a few years back with a)my drive stuck in full down, b)no VHF radio. All in the 21 Hallett.

Big was being stuck in blue troughs with the sound of big HP motors around you, but not in sight.

I'll admit, even though I had owned by boat for about 6-7 years, I learned how to drive it that day.

My body hurt for a week and after that jaunt I concluded even on its biggest days, Havasu isn't all that bad. :party2:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Its the helicopters that will get you :p

Last year we were moving along at pretty good pace, lots of traffic, lots of rooster tails, my wife and I were comminicating very well about traffic, etc., and then from behind us and not in our field of vision comes a chopper. The dude blasted over our heads at about 50 feet, never saw him coming since we were so focused on what was up ahead. Scared the crap out of us.

hallett21

Reaction score
haha sounds like something I have to do lol. Do I/passengers have to wear a Lifeline jacket or can we wear the vests we ski in?

nelsonlaptop

Reaction score
You need to look over your shoulder just as much as you look forward. If you are going 50ish like me, boats will be flying by you like you are standing still and they come out of nowhere.

Then you have the jackasses that don't know what's going on and will cut you off. Like I said, I stand the whole time.

hallett21

Reaction score
You need to look over your shoulder just as much as you look forward. If you are going 50ish like me, boats will be flying by you like you are standing still and they come out of nowhere.

Then you have the jackasses that don't know what's going on and will cut you off. Like I said, I stand the whole time.

im in a hallett vector I think Ill just have my head on a swivel. With a foot throttle my ass will be firmly in a seat.
Is it comparable to driving on the fourth of july weekend back when people got trashed at the sandbar and all drove home at once? More organized or less? I understand safety is a concern and that drivers won't be drinking and driving at 100mph (hopefully). But I don't believe that all of the boat owners with 100+ mph boats know how to drive them safely. Ive seen that just on everyday weekends. I assume you just drive defensively and you will be fine. And Im sure having a good co-pilot/spotter helps.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
im in a hallett vector I think Ill just have my head on a swivel. With a foot throttle my ass will be firmly in a seat.
Is it comparable to driving on the fourth of july weekend back when people got trashed at the sandbar and all drove home at once? More organized or less? I understand safety is a concern and that drivers won't be drinking and driving at 100mph (hopefully). But I don't believe that all of the boat owners with 100+ mph boats know how to drive them safely. Ive seen that just on everyday weekends. I assume you just drive defensively and you will be fine. And Im sure having a good co-pilot/spotter helps.

I would much rather run in desert storm than a holiday weekend, because alcohol isnt going to be a factor, plus everyone is more focused on the task at hand versus just a cruise down the lake. Don't worry, I was a wreck last year, my first year, we did it in a 26 foot cat, and we launched the boat a few times, but it was blast, and now I cant wait to do it again.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
from your experience Dave since you did it in a comparable boat, would you prop for top end or more of a ski prop?

Top end, but not for top end speed.. More for lower RPM mid range cruising. You will be covering a lot of ground if you do the whole run.

RD