WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dealer Markup on New Diesel Trucks

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Any dealers not doing dealer markup on new diesel trucks yet? Not interested in ordering one. Not in a hurry, but would buy a new one for MSRP.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Jason @ Selman Chevrolet said they sell at MSRP but doubt they have any in stock. I drive by all the time and not shit on the lot.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Selection is going to be very limited, might want to search out of state. What are you looking for, Ford, Chevy, Ram?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Go onto the forums if you wanna find a truck. For example for truck enthusiast website is huge and there’s always threads about the best places to buy trucks and order them

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Why not order if not in a hurry? Slim pickings out there. Why not get what you want?

I’d buy now for MSRP if it’s sitting on a dealership. If I have to wait, I have a box van I plan on using to take my son to Motocross in and I’ll dump my 12pm SUV for a hybrid.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I was looking at this. Then I noticed “in transit”. Which means screw you; you aint getting it now. 😀
186A4075-33EF-4C9D-8A93-0E4DC9D59F82.png

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Ordered the wife’s ride “in transit”. It will be here in a week.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Get on Autotrader, use new vehicle search function on the Ford/Chevrolet/Dodge manufacturer websites, and check dealer websites.

In transit is the best because it might still be available. You can usually see the window sticker once they're in transit. Call the dealership on one you want, put $500 down, wait for it to arrive. If it's actually on its way, it shouldn't take long.

I bought a 2021 F350 out of Salt Lake City last summer. It was already on the lot. No markup. Flew up early one morning and drove it back to SoCal same day.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Dutton in Riverside has a bunch of inventory on there lot as of last week.... worth a call.

Icky

Reaction score
Go onto the forums if you wanna find a truck. For example for truck enthusiast website is huge and there’s always threads about the best places to buy trucks and order them
This what I did, 2% under invoice in Az, some dealerships back east are offering even more if you want to drive or have it shipped. Everywhere else is a minimum MSRP, some are 10k +over msrp.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
There are dealers who don't do ADM. Late 21, I purchased a 22 F450 Full options. Lariat Ultimate 6.7. I paid 76406.00. Same truck was as much as 100K elsewhere. Gotta find a dealer you can trust, develop long standing relationships, preferably with fleet. Most fleet guys aren't emotional about the trucks. They're just widgets.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Get on Autotrader, use new vehicle search function on the Ford/Chevrolet/Dodge manufacturer websites, and check dealer websites.

In transit is the best because it might still be available. You can usually see the window sticker once they're in transit. Call the dealership on one you want, put $500 down, wait for it to arrive. If it's actually on its way, it shouldn't take long.

I bought a 2021 F350 out of Salt Lake City last summer. It was already on the lot. No markup. Flew up early one morning and drove it back to SoCal same day.

This worked out well....Thank You!!!! I also have one lined up at Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho. I guess I will have a new truck in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone. You all have been a great help!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I would call Jason at Selman (714) 863-3880

or

Dave Crane at Dutton +1 (951) 259-4404

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
We will take orders at MSRP for RDP members… Except for AT4 X and Escalade’s, they are hard to get.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
This worked out well....Thank You!!!! I also have one lined up at Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho. I guess I will have a new truck in a couple weeks. Thanks everyone. You all have been a great help!!!!
Did this back in May of 2019. Fly into Spokane and picked up, at the dealership by 2 pm, on the road by 4:30 pm. Everything was as they said, no games.
At the time I saved nearly $11k off sticker by buying a leftover. That word "leftover" has been erased from automotive history unfortunately.

I really enjoyed the drive back to the OC. Should have taken a few more days.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Would have liked to have purchased from Bradley, local dealer. But, when we bought our Suburban just a phone call to Courtesy Chev in Phoenix saved us 7K, and I wasn’t even trying.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Would have liked to have purchased from Bradley, local dealer. But, when we bought our Suburban just a phone call to Courtesy Chev in Phoenix saved us 7K, and I wasn’t even trying.
Did similar with the Tahoe. Findlay in Las Vegas was around 5k less than MSRP, they have actually been great with service etc. I deal with a fleet guy at Findlay...like Steve above said..they aren't emotional about the deal. It was cut and dry, done over the phone, gave him a cc deposit, and paid balance on delivery. It was the fastest I've ever gotten tags back as well..under 10 days including MT processing time. Will buy from them again.

Icky

Reaction score
Never thought I'd see the day someone purchase a $78,579.00 pick up and think it was a good price. . 👀
I ordered from a different dealer, but it was a 10k difference between ordering here in California at msrp versus AZ. The markups these days are ridiculous.

Icky

Reaction score
I’m going to call tomorrow. Wouldn’t mind buying in Louisiana, I could pick up an STV on my way home.
Happy reading

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
GM dealers around here have 3500 DRW DMAX's in number now.
Rumor is they're using a dumber chip so as a result a few features like heated steering wheel and the ass scratcher are deleted. Damfino it's the tale I hear so don't hold me to that. Jus' scuttlebutt.
My point is probably negotiable prices.

Yeah prices are higher but your trade in is worth more too. Way more.
Our 2015 DRW Denali with 50K miles got us over $50K trade in.

We're interested in the 2023 Dmax with more power and stronger driveline when it's available. The super-chip shortage is supped to ease up then too.

I've driven the new RAM. Not for me. The GMC is so different. You should test drive both.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I am in the middle of buying a Honda CRV for the wife, I asked the dealer general manager when things will get back to "normal" with 100 cars on the lot.

He said never. His view was all manufacturers want to be on the Tesla model, build to order at full price.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I am in the middle of buying a Honda CRV for the wife, I asked the dealer general manager when things will get back to "normal" with 100 cars on the lot.

He said never. His view was all manufacturers want to be on the Tesla model, build to order at full price.
If that’s the case... what’s the point of all these “dealers”? The manufacturer would then just sell direct to consumer and eliminate 75% of the dealers.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score

I've heard that as well. I think it will hurt their industry in the long run as it will take away the spur of the moment consumer. Many people trade their cars in on a whim and that creates higher numbers and shorter periods of consumers to own cars. If you have to order a car, then the consumer will have more time to think about it and be more frugal in their life decisions.

I say this from experience. I will buy right now, but if I have to wait I would probably think more logically and keep my vehicle much longer.

hallett21

Reaction score
If that’s the case... what’s the point of all these “dealers”? The manufacturer would then just sell direct to consumer and eliminate 75% of the dealers.
Ford has said publicly they want to transition to a online sales format.

Dealers have been claiming they make their money on service, ceramic coatings, extended warranties etc. I’ve heard some claim they only “make” 500-2500 a unit.

Guess we will see how accurate that is.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Just reported in Dallas on the radio that average sales is 10% over MSRP.
They reported the Genesis SUV is selling at the highest markup locally at 31% over.

hallett21

Reaction score
I've heard that as well. I think it will hurt their industry in the long run as it will take away the spur of the moment consumer. Many people trade their cars in on a whim and that creates higher numbers and shorter periods of consumers to own cars. If you have to order a car, then the consumer will have more time to think about it and be more frugal in their life decisions.

I say this from experience. I will buy right now, but if I have to wait I would probably think more logically and keep my vehicle much longer.
Or they will have “inventory” but it will only be top of the line vehicles and packages. Something the dealer can make 5k on vs selling 10 bare bones cars at $500 a unit.

Nordie

Reaction score
There's a VW dealership by my work, they have 3 2021 broncos on the lot. They've been sitting there for months, my guess is the price is higher than giraffe pussy. The fully loaded one, big ecoboost with a 10 speed they're asking 72k.

The other 2 have the small ecoboost and manual Trans, 61k

hallett21

Reaction score
Also with everyone calling for a recession. Why would manufacturers want to saddle the dealers with inventory that will sit?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The pendulum will swing back , it always does …you guys just need to wait a bit . Quit trading in your 2 year old trucks and taking a beating on taxes , depreciation and insurance .

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Also with everyone calling for a recession. Why would manufacturers want to saddle the dealers with inventory that will sit?
Because the manufacturers get paid on delivery. They could care less if the products sell.

hallett21

Reaction score
Because the manufacturers get paid on delivery. They could care less if the products sell.
That’s a fine line though because if you put the dealer network out of business you’re screwed next year.

IMO the RDP buyer would be the biggest PITA to find a truck/car for. I want the big motor but medium level interior, it needs to be factory ready for 5th wheel towing, 4x4 but needs a specific gear ratio and also I’m not paying anywhere near sticker.

Vs having a 5-10 fully loaded trucks on the lot. If the trade in guy wants the vehicle that bad he can buy a 80-90k truck.

An optioned out picky buyer is going to order a new truck because 9 times out of 10 what they want doesn’t exist.

The dealer still makes the sale on the custom ordered unit and they make a killing on the fully optioned one.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I have spoken with five different Ford dealerships in and around Orange County. Ordering from them is the best option right now. They all are doing a $100.00 refundable deposit and will sell at MSRP. The wait is 3-4 months.

pkbullet

Reaction score

Never is a very long time. What a manufacturer wants doesn’t really matter. Once one manufacturer produces on ground stock they will gain market share over all others that are not niche companies. You don’t stay CEO with declining share. Tesla worked because it was first. What do you think will happen to Tesla once every brand competes in the segment with a dealer body that can help with real world customer economic situations. Walmart has a lot more customers than Central Market. In the real world where most people have no net worth live paycheck to paycheck with negative auto equity, how do the masses buy on the Tesla model? Watch Stellantis, I think they will be the first to produce and grow rapidly.

pkbullet

Reaction score
I have spoken with five different Ford dealerships in and around Orange County. Ordering from them is the best option right now. They all are doing a $100.00 refundable deposit and will sell at MSRP. The wait is 3-4 months.
Ford just mandated a minimum 750 order deposit to qualify for their certified order program.