WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Custom Boat Builders...where are tomorrow's riggers going to come from?

shueman

Reaction score
Proposed curriculum...

Monday-fix the trim tabs on the principals boat
Tuesday-Straighten the prop for the principal
Wednesday-Lube the axles on the principals trailer
Thursday-take that gay pink stripe out of the principals gel coat
Friday-Special guest lecture "RD" will discuss test drives, how to balance your beer and keep your cigarette dry, and completing boat show reveiws in a timely manner...:D

:thumbup::D

bocco

Reaction score
It occurs to me as I read this thread that today's builders are building boats the same way that 18 foot jet boats were built in the 70s. They're bolting on a lot more stuff and using way more zip ties, but it's all done by hand with little to no automation. I understand that the boat business doesn't have the volume to automate like the auto industry but I think with more design work up front you could get the job done much more efficiently. Maybe use intermediate level assemblers and just one or two master riggers.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It occurs to me as I read this thread that today's builders are building boats the same way that 18 foot jet boats were built in the 70s. They're bolting on a lot more stuff and using way more zip ties, but it's all done by hand with little to no automation. I understand that the boat business doesn't have the volume to automate like the auto industry but I think with more design work up front you could get the job done much more efficiently. Maybe use intermediate level assemblers and just one or two master riggers.

Actually a lot of the boat builders are doing things to stream line things. I have been at a few shops lately where they have giant boards laid out to make wiring looms for different models. In the past (and present) The builders will put a little "dimple" in the mold to show riggers where to drill for cleats, or fuel fills etc.. The process is fairly streamlined, and only requires top riggers if you are truly building something custom / one off / or different then a standard installation.

RD

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Actually a lot of the boat builders are doing things to stream line things. I have been at a few shops lately where they have giant boards laid out to make wiring looms for different models. In the past (and present) The builders will put a little "dimple" in the mold to show riggers where to drill for cleats, or fuel fills etc.. The process is fairly streamlined, and only requires top riggers if you are truly building something custom / one off / or different then a standard installation.

RD

Dimples are one way,I know I have worked on a few molds that have a center mark lightly scribed in.
For the riggers though,some guys have splash templates,often more than one as one boat may get hardware another doesn't.
Works awesome,gives them a few holes for a drill or a shape to draw with a china marker which is consistent from boat to boat.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
So basically rigging has become a job like "assembling Ikea furniture" , and drilling the holes only requires 'a few dimples in the mold' to get someone to drill holes and install the custom parts there correctly, would be called 'custom rigging' .

PlowTown Missile

Reaction score
Alot of guys here really nailed it with the $$$ and stability.

Case in point, a kid I've known for 10 years since he was 16yrs old. He is a very skilled painter, can do body work, and is a hard worker. After working at a couple automotive shops while going through technical school, he was offered a job at a very large and popular offshore catamaran manufacturer. He was beyond excited to be there and looked forward to going to work daily. He didn't stay there a year... Low pay, long hours, and no benefits eventually took it's toll causing him to take an offer at another automotive shop. For the life of me, I can't understand how a boat builder that builds $600k-2million dollar boats STEADILY cannot afford to pay a decent wage and benefits? Especially considering the high level of talent they require of their painters. This kid isn't the only painter I know that's bailed out of there either.