WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cumberland River TN

gqchris

Reaction score
HOLY SHIT, OK if I ever boat there I'm going downstream for sure :eek::eek::eek::eek:

My Grandparents live in Wallins Creek, KY, Harlan County. Beautiful Country. Water coming right out of the side of the rocks in the Holler. My Dad lives in Greeneville, TN.

Never thought of this area when I visit as a boating destination. But sounds awesome!

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Well house in Houston sold and in Escrow and Rent paid in Calvert City, KY. Got a lot to do to get ready for spring boating.
Wish me luck in my adventure and I hope to see some of you out here soon.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Well house in Houston sold and in Escrow and Rent paid in Calvert City, KY. Got a lot to do to get ready for spring boating.
Wish me luck in my adventure and I hope to see some of you out here soon.

Congrats! The wife and I are talking about flying out in late April to check things out. I will ping you when we are getting ready to go for some recommendations.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
We have been looking in Tennessee. Norris is beautiful, but it is hard to find a house there that does have 100 steps to go down to your dock.

This summer we are going to check out Kentucky Lake a Barkley Lake.

Kentucky and Barkley is where I am going. 2 lakes over 100 miles long each connected via canal at the north end and both continuing for 100's of navigable miles.
Shout out to me when you get in the area. Check out the cabins at Buzzard Rock Marina for lodging in the area.

Taboma

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, been enjoying spending some time checking out so many amazing lakes and waterfront homes in Ky and Tenn. Hard not to notice that around Nashville and Knoxville, most of the waterfront homes are not cheap, some quite expensive, but then huge mansions tend to be !!
Seems like Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are more reasonable, although many of the waterfront lack docks. At first I wondered why most all the waterfront homes on those two lakes were a bit of a distance from the water. Then read that due to possible extreme fluctuations of water level, all structures must be above 381'. Summer lake level is around 359', but in May of 2011 a record high level of 372.5' was recorded. Record low as 348', back in 1961. One home I was checking out had a pic of the waterfront bay filled with water, another pic, different season showed a mud flat. Not knocking anything, just something to be aware of, location could be important, as well as how the dock is setup for dealing with the water level changes. At least with the homes built higher up, you won't have to worry about your basement flooding.

Lake Barkley water levels for 17' and 18' and current.
Lake Barkley Ky level.JPG

MatthewCarney

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, been enjoying spending some time checking out so many amazing lakes and waterfront homes in Ky and Tenn. Hard not to notice that around Nashville and Knoxville, most of the waterfront homes are not cheap, some quite expensive, but then huge mansions tend to be !!
Seems like Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are more reasonable, although many of the waterfront lack docks. At first I wondered why most all the waterfront homes on those two lakes were a bit of a distance from the water. Then read that due to possible extreme fluctuations of water level, all structures must be above 381'. Summer lake level is around 359', but in May of 2011 a record high level of 372.5' was recorded. Record low as 348', back in 1961. One home I was checking out had a pic of the waterfront bay filled with water, another pic, different season showed a mud flat. Not knocking anything, just something to be aware of, location could be important, as well as how the dock is setup for dealing with the water level changes. At least with the homes built higher up, you won't have to worry about your basement flooding.

Lake Barkley water levels for 17' and 18' and current.
View attachment 726891

Taboma, a lot of them lack docks due to the "army corps of engineers" and TVA "tennessee valley authority" regulations for each individual lake. There are some "grandfathered in" on some lakes... many others are just not allowed. (example, Center Hill Lake has less then 15 private docks but 6 marina's) As to the real reasons why there are a lot of mixed opinions... Such as "limits the traffic", "controls erosion" and my favorite "Because they are the Army Corps & TVA". This makes the prices of these homes very pricey.

Taboma

Reaction score
Taboma, a lot of them lack docks due to the "army corps of engineers" and TVA "tennessee valley authority" regulations for each individual lake. There are some "grandfathered in" on some lakes... many others are just not allowed. (example, Center Hill Lake has less then 15 private docks but 6 marina's) As to the real reasons why there are a lot of mixed opinions... Such as "limits the traffic", "controls erosion" and my favorite "Because they are the Army Corps & TVA". This makes the prices of these homes very pricey.

Thanks, that essentially answers the question of --- buying one with lake frontage, no dock, then installing one --- more than likely ain't gonna happen.
One thing for sure, there's a lot of exploration, local knowledge and diligence required before making any purchasing decisions. These aren't just little recreational lakes, these are some serious waterways. I know before I bought, I'd rent.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Thanks, that essentially answers the question of --- buying one with lake frontage, no dock, then installing one --- more than likely ain't gonna happen.
One thing for sure, there's a lot of exploration, local knowledge and diligence required before making any purchasing decisions. These aren't just little recreational lakes, these are some serious waterways. I know before I bought, I'd rent.

That's our thought too. We are going to go scout it out and see what areas we want to be in schools etc and then are going to try and find a house within that area(s) to rent first before we buy. We might not like the state at all. Never know.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Kentucky and Barkley is where I am going. 2 lakes over 100 miles long each connected via canal at the north end and both continuing for 100's of navigable miles.
Shout out to me when you get in the area. Check out the cabins at Buzzard Rock Marina for lodging in the area.

I will let you know. We are traveling in our 5th wheel. We plan on spending a few years checking out and learning about different areas. We thought about buying sooner than that and then realized there is a lot to learn. We have some friends here in Florida that have a summer place near the Buchanan Resort. They dock their boat there. We would prefer a dock at what property we choose, but we are going to check out their set up.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Here are some local links.

One of many poker runs
https://www.facebook.com/TNPowerboatclub

Great video of the gorge
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...C1A9D28B5F55DF9A2346C1A9D28B5F55&&FORM=VDRVRV

These guys are crazy

How am I just now seeing this thread?

I was born and raised on Chickamauga Lake in Chattanooga, TN and have done the entire Tennessee 600 mile run before from Knoxville to Pickwick. The best part of the trip was definitely the 30 miles through the River Gorge just downstream of Chattanooga mentioned earlier, it is beautiful and mostly protected by a local non profit that has been buying up and moving the banjo players out.

Loboatomy, I'd love to meet up when you are in town, I don't have a boat fast enough to keep up with that kind of cruise speed but I'm sure you will have a great trip. It sounds like you have it well planned out but if I can do anything to help let me know. It has been a while since I did the 600 but it wasn't a bad trip even on a Sea Doo.

If anyone has any questions about the area let me know.

To answer a few I've seen:
There is commercial traffic but very little and they are easy to navigate around.

The ability to build a dock can vary from lake to lake and even lot to lot depending on when it was developed.

They lower the lakes every winter for spring flood control so there is some trash and logs in April and May but it isn't too bad. I've been through a few props but nothing to bad (knock on wood)

On my lake everyone owns property down to 685' but the lake can flood to 690'. Docks can usually be built with a permit but no part of a house or deck can be below 690' so your setback from the lake is determined by elevation. Our lake usually drops 6-7ft and we have year round deep water but some houses only have mud during the winter if they are in a shallow area.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

I was born and raised on Chickamauga Lake in Chattanooga, TN and have done the entire Tennessee 600 mile run before from Knoxville to Pickwick. The best part of the trip was definitely the 30 miles through the River Gorge just downstream of Chattanooga mentioned earlier, it is beautiful and mostly protected by a local non profit that has been buying up and moving the banjo players out.

Loboatomy, I'd love to meet up when you are in town, I don't have a boat fast enough to keep up with that kind of cruise speed but I'm sure you will have a great trip. It sounds like you have it well planned out but if I can do anything to help let me know. It has been a while since I did the 600 but it wasn't a bad trip even on a Sea Doo.

There is commercial traffic but very little and they are easy to navigate around.

The ability to build a dock can vary from lake to lake and even lot to lot depending on when it was developed.

They lower the lakes every winter for spring flood control so there is some trash and logs in April and May but it isn't too bad. I've been through a few props but nothing to bad (knock on wood)

On my lake everyone owns property down to 685' but the lake can flood to 690'. Docks can usually be built with a permit but no part of a house or deck can be below 690' so your setback from the lake is determined by elevation. Our lake usually drops 6-7ft and we have year round deep water but some houses only have mud during the winter if they are in a shallow area.

Are you still on Chickamauga lake? If so any insights into the school district?

My wife is a nurse and is looking at some hospitals out there for work in the Nashville area any recommendations there? Or closer to you?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Also any insight into the level of bugs and snakes? Got any gators?

Taboma

Reaction score

That's a cool looking body of water for sure. Some really nice lake homes there as well, for $ 500K you could be in one hell of a nice lake pad.
Given the elevations you stated (680+ feet) and the elevations I noticed up north of there yesterday (370') --- does the Tennessee river flow South to North ?
It would seem so, but then the dams seem to be on the South end of these lakes ???

OK, this area seems to have milder winters yet warmer and muggier summers --- correct, or not all that much different than Nashville or Knoxville ?

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Are you still on Chickamauga lake? If so any insights into the school district?

My wife is a nurse and is looking at some hospitals out there for work in the Nashville area any recommendations there? Or closer to you?

My parents live "on" the lake and I live about a mile from it so I can keep my boat at their house. Nashville is about 2 and a half hours from me and is growing like crazy. Brentwood has always been the nicest part of Nashville where all of the "rich people/old mone" live so I would imagine it has the best schools but Nashville 10 years ago was a different city from Nashville now with the rate it has been growing.

Prices in Nashville will be MUCH more than Chattanooga or Knoxville and the cost of living will be more as well, I like to say Nashville is the new Atlanta. Chattanooga and Knoxville are pretty similar and I spent a good bit of time on Lake Loudon in Knoxville during college. It is nice but I like Chattanooga (both on and off the water) better. The schools around me overall aren't the best, most of the people on the water around me send their kids to Private schools but there are a few school districts that are good, you just have to pick the right district (I can be more specific on districts or real estate agents if you are interested)

We do have bugs but I don't think it is nearly as bad as people think, the mosquito's definitely bite but the only time I put on bug spray is if I am camping. We have snakes too but they aren't bad at all, I might see one a year unless I go looking for them and most are glad to slither away in a different direction. I've honestly never run into a snake a shovel couldn't take care of and there are no gators in the area.

That's a cool looking body of water for sure. Some really nice lake homes there as well, for $ 500K you could be in one hell of a nice lake pad.
Given the elevations you stated (680+ feet) and the elevations I noticed up north of there yesterday (370') --- does the Tennessee river flow South to North ?
It would seem so, but then the dams seem to be on the South end of these lakes ???

OK, this area seems to have milder winters yet warmer and muggier summers --- correct, or not all that much different than Nashville or Knoxville ?

500K will definantly buy you a place on the lake in my area but it will probably need some work or will be a ways outside of town. Two houses on my road have sold for about 450k but both needed a little work and neither one has deep water in the winter. Off the water, 300K will get you a house on over acre within walking distance of a boat ramp right now.

The river flows South from Knoxville to Huntsville, AL and then it turns and flows northwest back up to Tennessee.

Winters are usually 30*-50* with a chance of snow every other year, summers are 75*-90* and very humid(all the more reason to be out on the water). People complain about humidity but get use to it pretty quick. The summers in Knoxville and Nashville will be very similar but both get a little bit more snow in the winter due to being a little further North. Tennessee has been getting more and more "half backs", snowbirds that moved to Florida and decided it was to hot/to far so they move halfway back home.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My parents live "on" the lake and I live about a mile from it so I can keep my boat at their house. Nashville is about 2 and a half hours from me and is growing like crazy. Brentwood has always been the nicest part of Nashville where all of the "rich people/old mone" live so I would imagine it has the best schools but Nashville 10 years ago was a different city from Nashville now with the rate it has been growing.

Prices in Nashville will be MUCH more than Chattanooga or Knoxville and the cost of living will be more as well, I like to say Nashville is the new Atlanta. Chattanooga and Knoxville are pretty similar and I spent a good bit of time on Lake Loudon in Knoxville during college. It is nice but I like Chattanooga (both on and off the water) better. The schools around me overall aren't the best, most of the people on the water around me send their kids to Private schools but there are a few school districts that are good, you just have to pick the right district (I can be more specific on districts or real estate agents if you are interested)

We do have bugs but I don't think it is nearly as bad as people think, the mosquito's definitely bite but the only time I put on bug spray is if I am camping. We have snakes too but they aren't bad at all, I might see one a year unless I go looking for them and most are glad to slither away in a different direction. I've honestly never run into a snake a shovel couldn't take care of and there are no gators in the area.

500K will definantly buy you a place on the lake in my area but it will probably need some work or will be a ways outside of town. Two houses on my road have sold for about 450k but both needed a little work and neither one has deep water in the winter. Off the water, 300K will get you a house on over acre within walking distance of a boat ramp right now.

The river flows South from Knoxville to Huntsville, AL and then it turns and flows northwest back up to Tennessee.

Winters are usually 30*-50* with a chance of snow every other year, summers are 75*-90* and very humid(all the more reason to be out on the water). People complain about humidity but get use to it pretty quick. The summers in Knoxville and Nashville will be very similar but both get a little bit more snow in the winter due to being a little further North. Tennessee has been getting more and more "half backs", snowbirds that moved to Florida and decided it was to hot/to far so they move halfway back home.

Thanks for the info. I would definitely appreciate any additional info you could share. Feel free to shoot me a pm.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Alright wife and I are headed out from the 10th to the 17th of April. Anyone know a good real estate agent in and around Nashville? Looking for waterfront or damn close to it.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I moved to Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley 2 weeks ago, just started financing on my new home today. I like this area as it is the hub for the waterway system. Chattanooga and Nashville are at the end, or should I say the beginning, of the rivers and I like the diversity of the four rivers. Good luck with your venture.

Taboma

Reaction score
I moved to Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley 2 weeks ago, just started financing on my new home today. I like this area as it is the hub for the waterway system. Chattanooga and Nashville are at the end, or should I say the beginning, of the rivers and I like the diversity of the four rivers. Good luck with your venture.

Thought I heard on the news about some flooding recently in Tenn, any concerns around the Kentucky Lake area ? If I recall, Kentucky Lake is actually down stream of Nashville, even though it's more northern in the state ?

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Tennessee river downstream from the Kentucky Lake Dam is starting to recede, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers will exit flood stage at the end of the week. Water was very high in both lakes as they regulate the river depths very carefully.
PS the Kentucky Lake Dam is actually in northern KY. Tennessee portions of the river I have no knowledge of.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
I found this thread and wanted to bump it to the top with some questions.

We just got back from a recon trip to the Nashville area where a few of our non boater friends moved. Took a little drive aground and saw a couple lakes. Such a beautiful part of the country.

When does the weather usually get warm enough to run the boat without a sweatshirt on? We are thinking of heading back and want to possibly grab a rental boat for a day and explore Old Hickory a bit.

Also for those with nice boats, what do you guys do about boat storage? Are there issues with humidity and things not drying out? Do they have reasonable indoor storage around the area?

Down south I see the water is pretty dark and wondered if the soil or whatever is in the water gets on your seats or interior ?

cheezpanel

Reaction score

We just got back from a recon trip to the Nashville area where a few of our non boater friends moved. Took a little drive aground and saw a couple lakes. Such a beautiful part of the country.

When does the weather usually get warm enough to run the boat without a sweatshirt on? We are thinking of heading back and want to possibly grab a rental boat for a day and explore Old Hickory a bit.

Also for those with nice boats, what do you guys do about boat storage? Are there issues with humidity and things not drying out? Do they have reasonable indoor storage around the area?

Down south I see the water is pretty dark and wondered if the soil or whatever is in the water gets on your seats or interior ?
Us too (several recon trips as my daughter lives there and we are moving next year). Good questions. We're just not sure WHERE in TN we want to settle. Not really in a big city, but close enough to access the necessities (airport/healthcare etc). We'd like to be close enough to water for easy day trips, as well as the outdoor stuff like UTV exploring, shooting, etc. For those that live there, suggestions would be appreciated.
THX

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

May June time frame will get you out of the sweatshirts during the day. Might need them in the morning or afternoon.

My boat is in the back yard and yes you have to be careful of mold. Keep enough ventilation or use the disicate to remove the moisture. If it's at your house you can open up the cover for a few days and let it air out. You do not want it sealed up tight as it will mold on you.

Never had an issue with the water staining or discoloring the seats. Its murky but is not so much dirt always as it warm water and a lot of algea. But none of that fucked up algea, just high consentrations in the water.

I grew up on ky lake as a kid. I don't really know about the Tennessee end of the lake and river. I've forgotten a shitload about the ky end. It is beautiful and large

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread. We are in the Tennessee end of the lake. We put the boat in about mid may and have never had a sweatshirt or jacket on the boat. As far as storage we have a 1 slip covered dock, but still put the cover on. It is a pontoon so it gets plenty of ventilation.

They do have indoor storage north of us. Have no idea or cost or availability. Ben Malone of Malone's Marine owns it. Yes water is murky as it is a mud bottom lake. Never stained seat, but you don't want to wear a white tee shirt. I wear the colored dry-fit and have no problems. You do not want to leave the boat in the water all summer. We have the last 2 years and had to acid wash them when we take it out each year. Next summer I am putting in a boat lift to solve that problem.

Tennessee has 3 very distinct areas. West, middle and east. From our experience and travels. West is more rural and redneck. Middle is more yuppie with Nashville and Murfreesboro. East has more mountains and has both redneck and yuppie areas. These are just generalities and not one is better than the other. Again just my opinion of our experience's. We liked the east and west areas. We really liked Douglas Lake, but was too close to Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for us. Too busy for what we were looking for.

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @CarolynandBob & @spectra3279 it sounds like a good long boating season down there.

and after looking in to it more it looks like some of these bigger marinas around have rack storage available which would probably be pretty nice to have in the winter months.
Check out my East TN build down below.....I don't live out there yet but did a bunch of scouting until I decided on Watts Bar. CarolynandBob would know more about the water ways as I have yet to get wet out there.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I'm up at the north end of Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley area. Nice Marina with covered slip and boat lift, life is good. Real nice boating and surprisingly nobody boats from 3:30 PM Sunday to 9:00 AM Saturday. All week it is completely void of boats. Lots of places/bars/restaurants to visit and as long of runs as you like. Beautiful scenery and incredible civil war history everywhere.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We ended up not moving out there for a couple of reasons but it is still very high on the when we retire list.

We put 750 miles on our rental car over the week we were there exploring. Nashville and it's suburbs are growing faster than the infastructure can handle. When we were there in 2019 everything was under construction.

We absolutely loved Hendersonville and the Mt Juliet areas. West of Nashville had some amazing properties on the water that were extremely affordable. Franklin is an amazing historical area off the water. The problem for us was schools and prices.

Most of the people we talked to who lived on the water sent their kids to private schools and the bill wasn't cheap. We were definitely losing income in terms of wages, we were leaving all of our family behind and our expenses with child care, private school, etc... Weren't taking the the dive we hoped once we pencilled it all out.

Once the kids are out of the house this area of the country begins to make alot more sense. For now the grind continues.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I'm up at the north end of Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley area. Nice Marina with covered slip and boat lift, life is good. Real nice boating and surprisingly nobody boats from 3:30 PM Sunday to 9:00 AM Saturday. All week it is completely void of boats. Lots of places/bars/restaurants to visit and as long of runs as you like. Beautiful scenery and incredible civil war history everywhere.
Yep one of the jokes my wife and I say when we boat on Saturday is " Who invited all these people to our lake" LOL

Went 4 wheeling back in Sept. The guy leading stops and says "have you heard of Jack Hinson One man War"? I had not and he explained how back in the civil war a guy lived in a cave and shot a Kentucky long rifle at union officers on boats going down the TN river. Well I climbed up the hill and went into the cave. Very cool. I have the book coming, so I can read about it.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
We're heading back in a couple weeks to the Nashville area and from there will branch out and keep looking. Anybody have any experience/input/advice about Cleveland? It's a little northeast of Chattanooga...the location looks good on the map.
Thanks
Bill

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We're heading back in a couple weeks to the Nashville area and from there will branch out and keep looking. Anybody have any experience/input/advice about Cleveland? It's a little northeast of Chattanooga...the location looks good on the map.
Thanks
Bill
I have a niece and ex SIL that have been there for about 15 years, they seem to like it, but I can't tell you much about it.