WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cumberland River TN

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience boating the Cumberland? The distance you can travel is pretty epic.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Boated a lot of the lakes in TN growing up but never made it over to the Cumberland River. When we go back home to visit we fly into Nashville and stay a couple of days there and seem to be plenty of action on that river.

Isn't there a couple of inmates that moved back to that area?

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I am in the process of moving there to boat the Cumberland and Tennessee. They are connected just before the Dams and locks. Me and a buddy are planning a trip this summer from Chattanooga (Tennessee River) to Nashville (Cumberland River) about 700 miles by water and only 125 by land.
No backtracking on the trip. I keep my boat at the north end of Lake Barkley, part of the Cumberland. The marinas in the area, in season, have live bands every Fri and Sat nights. Some killer marinas there, I like Buzzard Rock and Hu-B's. Good luck.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Stupid inexpensive boating, covered docks (25') $20/night with electricity & water. Free launch trailer/truck parking. Everybody has recreational fuel 92/90 octane real gas no ethanol usually .50/gal more than at the truck-stop

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Wife has me looking at property in TN outside of Nashville. 1 requirement to move east is I get a dock. We will see.
Lots of rivers/lakes to boat on. I grew up on a rather small private lake (Arrowhead size) in small town TN but did a lot of boating on Watts Bar and Dale Hollow Lakes. Beautiful country and down to earth friendly people. Good luck in your endeavors.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Lots of rivers/lakes to boat on. I grew up on a rather small private lake (Arrowhead size) in small town TN but did a lot of boating on Watts Bar and Dale Hollow Lakes. Beautiful country and down to earth friendly people. Good luck in your endeavors.

Thanks! She is looking at Hendersonville right now. It will take some finagling but we will see.

Taboma

Reaction score
Wife has me looking at property in TN outside of Nashville. 1 requirement to move east is I get a dock. We will see.

What lakes, especially those with access to rivers or larger lakes, are worthy of consideration for lake front living ?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My older sister lives in Ashland City about 20 miles northwest of Nashville, there are some really nice river front homes in that area and you can boat to downtown Nashville for lunch/drinks.

upload_2019-1-31_14-38-51.png

Last edited:

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Kentucky lake 220 miles long, Barkley about 100 miles long, Pickwick about 45 miles long, Old Hickory, Lake Chippawa they are all connected. In fact Pittsburg, PA, Chicago, IL, Minneapolis, MN, Omaha, NE, Little Rock, Ar, Cincinnati, OH, St. Louis, MO, Great Lakes, Mobile, AL, Nashville, Tn, Knoxville, Tn, Memphis, Tn, Ohio River-Cumberland-Tennessee-Mississippi-Arkansas-Tombigbee-Alabama rivers ALL CONNECTED.
This place is the shitz for boating. Only drawback is they have a winter season.
Makes the Delta look like an 1/8 mile drag strip.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
What lakes, especially those with access to rivers or larger lakes, are worthy of consideration for lake front living ?

I want to preferrably be on the river itself there are lots of offshoots that provide sheltered harbors but have quick direct access to the main river. it's pretty crazy how far you can go. As @LOBOATOMY said the Cumberland drains into the Ohio. From there its the Tennessee river, the Mississippi, etc...

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Wait until you look at the real estate prices, you will not believe how low they are and taxes are dirt cheap.
Feel free to bring your MAGA hat and wear it with pride.

Enen

Reaction score
My Sister-in-law's father just retired and became a manager at a marina on Lake Cumberland. He talks about the boating they do back there. I'd like to experience it.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I've been eyeing waterfront Cumberland homes as a potential escape from CA. I need to make a trip out there.

Taboma

Reaction score
I want to preferrably be on the river itself there are lots of offshoots that provide sheltered harbors but have quick direct access to the main river. it's pretty crazy how far you can go. As @LOBOATOMY said the Cumberland drains into the Ohio. From there its the Tennessee river, the Mississippi, etc...

A friend who at the time (Now deceased) was living in Georgia and emailing me chatting up his desire to boat on those rivers and how far you could travel, once in the system.
Given the size of the area in topic, I'd imagine one might have to spend some time in the area and chatting it up with locals --- wearing your Lake Havasu AZ shirt !!
Wouldn't want to end up under water after a good rain :eek:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Last time it flooded was 2010 but most of the stuff we are looking at was above the high water mark. Most of the houses are pretty far up and they have a bunch of dams with locks (that will be an adventure) to control the waterflow.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Anybody else want to go on the "Journey" this summer. We are planning a 45/50 mph cruise speed and taking about 10 days. Lots of open play days.
That would be really cool! My summer this year is already packed otherwise I might take you up on that offer. There’s a group that does a run in October on the Tennessee River down to Chattanooga. They call it a fall color run with all the colorful trees.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I traveled extensively around TN when we lived in Atlanta. Never drug the boat up there, but had friends up there. A couple had live aboard cruisers in Chattanooga and Knoxville. Great state for boating and musky fishing. Season goes from late spring to Labor day. Fishing is year round.

Plenty of new upscale housing projects with reasonable prices throughput eastern TN

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So what's it like? Snakes? Gators? Or is it pretty laid back?

RD

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
That would be really cool! My summer this year is already packed otherwise I might take you up on that offer. There’s a group that does a run in October on the Tennessee River down to Chattanooga. They call it a fall color run with all the colorful trees.

Starting where?

Wavemaker

Reaction score
So what's it like? Snakes? Gators? Or is it pretty laid back?

RD
I have traveled around the Nashville area during a few summer vacations. My experiences on the river and nearby lakes were very enjoyable. Good weather, a bit humid at times, and some humidity and rain/thunder showers. Rain usually was just a short storm, some wind, thunder and lightning at times but it passed fairly quickly.

If you are traveling in the area of Nashville definitely take some time to check it out. Really nice waterfront homes, with docks, some with boat garages (some two boats wide with hydrohoists and roll up garage doors). Property prices are lower than California’s waterfront homes on Lake Tahoe or Balboa area in SoCal.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
I am moving from Houston, TX area, for reference, I found the humidity to be very tolerable, no gators, snakes and I did not use bug spray one time last year. I did sleep on the boat, 24' cuddy 3 trips 2-3 weeks each. The lawn grass is green and very soft to walk on barefoot. Chart plotter to keep you in channel is highly recommended.

Taboma

Reaction score
Just outside of Chattanooga on the Tennessee River is what they call "The Grand Canyon of the East" 30 miles of absolute beauty.
So where's the area one might look for waterfront living ? I should say, reasonable WF living :p
Wavemaker in a previous post mentioned Nashville area waterfront homes ---- "Property prices are lower than California’s waterfront homes on Lake Tahoe or Balboa area in SoCal." ----- Well, ummm, I friggin hope so :eek: About as close as I can get to Balboa Island living is Costa-Fucking-Mesa, lol :rolleyes: And forget lake front Tahoe :(

I was thinking more a few hundred thousand, not millions :eek::eek:

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
So where's the area one might look for waterfront living ? I should say, reasonable WF living :p
Wavemaker in a previous post mentioned Nashville area waterfront homes ---- "Property prices are lower than California’s waterfront homes on Lake Tahoe or Balboa area in SoCal." ----- Well, ummm, I friggin hope so :eek: About as close as I can get to Balboa Island living is Costa-Fucking-Mesa, lol :rolleyes: And forget lake front Tahoe :(

I was thinking more a few hundred thousand, not millions :eek::eek:

Check out on line, do an areal fly over, you can use my satellite, I have 2 Bing or Google, use either. Look at the prices around Kuttawa, KY.
You can get a furnished 2 bedroom condo water view about $ 150k or Green Turtle condos for as much as you want to spend.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I'd really like to do a trip with someone that knows the river but my jet boat would require gas about every 2 hours and my wake boat doesn't have the top end to keep up with you guys.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
East or west of Nashville has some neat riverfront properties on the water with docks. Land under 100k and houses from 300-3mm

MatthewCarney

Reaction score
I'm here in Nashville and keep my 26' Razor by Cobra Performance on J Percy Priest lake most of the time. There are several marina's on that lake and very few powerboats... Mainly Houseboats, cruisers, pontoons and lots of wake boarders. There are zero houses or docks on J Percy Priest and this is a "watershed" lake. If you are on the drunken rentable party pontoon the boat cops are close by but they don't mess with the other boaters if they are being respectful.

Old Hickory Lake is a dam'd part of the Cumberland River. Because it is a lake in the middle of the river some refer to it as "Ole Stickery" because of the logs and sticks you may encounter from a large rain storm. It's nice boating and if you understand the lock system you could technically travel all the way to New Orleans from Nashville. Old Hickory lake is where the "Old Hickory Fun Run" poker run is ran each year near the end of July and usually has over 150+ boat participants. (July 26th-27th in 2019).

One of our neatest and deeper lakes just one hour outside of Nashville is Center Hill Lake. It's way more beautiful than either of the above and way less traffic. There is the "Fishlipz Fun Run" poker run in mid august. It's a smaller run and usually has over 50+ boat participants but a good 100 mile run hitting 5 different marinas. There are several fingers on this lake that are deep and narrow. If like to hear your pipes sing off the canyon walls covered in trees this is a cool place.

Dale Hollow Lake is another lake 2 hours outside of Nashville and i've only been on it via a houseboat. It's really deep and very beautiful. I plan to go do some discovery power boating up there.

This summer I am also going to put in at "Nickajack Lake" just west of Chattanooga, run up the Tennessee River to Downtown Chattanooga, Grab lunch and continue thru the locks to "chickamauga lake" on the west side of Chattanooga. Should be some fun beautiful times running those parts.

HERE IS SOME MORE INFO...
https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Locations/Lakes/

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I would LOVE to check out these waterways. My wife's cousin lives on the river outside of Nashville. 2016 we ran the 1000 miles of the Ohio River from the Mississippi to Pittsburgh, PA in our 25 Daytona and it was AWESOME.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Boated a lot of the lakes in TN growing up but never made it over to the Cumberland River. When we go back home to visit we fly into Nashville and stay a couple of days there and seem to be plenty of action on that river.

Isn't there a couple of inmates that moved back to that area?
I'm moving back to the area, if I ever get the old girl back together. I'll be on ky and Barkley every weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Kentucky lake 220 miles long, Barkley about 100 miles long, Pickwick about 45 miles long, Old Hickory, Lake Chippawa they are all connected. In fact Pittsburg, PA, Chicago, IL, Minneapolis, MN, Omaha, NE, Little Rock, Ar, Cincinnati, OH, St. Louis, MO, Great Lakes, Mobile, AL, Nashville, Tn, Knoxville, Tn, Memphis, Tn, Ohio River-Cumberland-Tennessee-Mississippi-Arkansas-Tombigbee-Alabama rivers ALL CONNECTED.
This place is the shitz for boating. Only drawback is they have a winter season.
Makes the Delta look like an 1/8 mile drag strip.
You forgot the Missouri River.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Last time it flooded was 2010 but most of the stuff we are looking at was above the high water mark. Most of the houses are pretty far up and they have a bunch of dams with locks (that will be an adventure) to control the waterflow.
Those locks don't mean anything when you get to the ohio. It will rise 50+ feet most winters. I grew up in paducah right on the Ohio 20 miles from the Mississippi. The foot of Broadway is 60 ft lower than the main road in downtown. We have flood walls and flood gates. It makes it up the flood gates every couple of years.

Taboma

Reaction score
I would LOVE to check out these waterways. My wife's cousin lives on the river outside of Nashville. 2016 we ran the 1000 miles of the Ohio River from the Mississippi to Pittsburgh, PA in our 25 Daytona and it was AWESOME.
I remember that trip and how you chronicled it here on RDP !!! It sure was awesome !!

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I'm here in Nashville and keep my 26' Razor by Cobra Performance on J Percy Priest lake most of the time. There are several marina's on that lake and very few powerboats... Mainly Houseboats, cruisers, pontoons and lots of wake boarders. There are zero houses or docks on J Percy Priest and this is a "watershed" lake. If you are on the drunken rentable party pontoon the boat cops are close by but they don't mess with the other boaters if they are being respectful.

Old Hickory Lake is a dam'd part of the Cumberland River. Because it is a lake in the middle of the river some refer to it as "Ole Stickery" because of the logs and sticks you may encounter from a large rain storm. It's nice boating and if you understand the lock system you could technically travel all the way to New Orleans from Nashville. Old Hickory lake is where the "Old Hickory Fun Run" poker run is ran each year near the end of July and usually has over 150+ boat participants. (July 26th-27th in 2019).

One of our neatest and deeper lakes just one hour outside of Nashville is Center Hill Lake. It's way more beautiful than either of the above and way less traffic. There is the "Fishlipz Fun Run" poker run in mid august. It's a smaller run and usually has over 50+ boat participants but a good 100 mile run hitting 5 different marinas. There are several fingers on this lake that are deep and narrow. If like to hear your pipes sing off the canyon walls covered in trees this is a cool place.

Dale Hollow Lake is another lake 2 hours outside of Nashville and i've only been on it via a houseboat. It's really deep and very beautiful. I plan to go do some discovery power boating up there.

This summer I am also going to put in at "Nickajack Lake" just west of Chattanooga, run up the Tennessee River to Downtown Chattanooga, Grab lunch and continue thru the locks to "chickamauga lake" on the west side of Chattanooga. Should be some fun beautiful times running those parts.

HERE IS SOME MORE INFO...
https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Locations/Lakes/

When traveling the river how worried are you about logs and other obstacles?

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
How much commercial traffic is on the river? Does that become an issue at all?