WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Criticize please!!

parkerpowersports

Reaction score
Tell me if this is appropriate, i had a customer towed in sat mid day and he has called like 15 times already after i had advised him that the damage consists of major internal damage and that i was doing my best to get an accurate diagnosis . I am working on my business skills because thats not my best aspect, so constructive criticism is appreciated.

Name,

Due to my already overwhelming work load, and the urgency combined with the severity of the repair needed on your van, i'm recommending that you arrange for a different shop to complete these repairs. I apologize if i have caused any delay in having it completed, however no one was aware of the actual damage done. Had it been something more minor we could have got you going in a timely manner. I am prepared to wave any cost to you on my end, again my apologies, let me know if you would like a list of other local reputable shops.

Nathan Alexander

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Name,

Due to my already overwhelming work load, and the urgency combined with the severity of the repair needed on your van, i'm recommending that you arrange for a different shop to complete these repairs. I apologize if i have caused any delay in having it completed, however no one was aware of the actual damage done. Had it been something more minor we could have got you going in a timely manner. I am prepared to wave any cost to you on my end, again my apologies, let me know if you would like a list of other local reputable shops.

Nathan Alexander
:thumbsup. I like it. Free and polite. What can they be upset about?

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Tell me if this is appropriate, i had a customer towed in sat mid day and he has called like 15 times already after i had advised him that the damage consists of major internal damage and that i was doing my best to get an accurate diagnosis . I am working on my business skills because thats not my best aspect, so constructive criticism is appreciated.

Name,

Nathan Alexander

I think that is good enough, specially since you've only had the car for a couple of days and Sunday not being a business day. :thumbsup

Joker

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it any better.:thumbsup

Fltplan

Reaction score
Sounds good to me, but I guess it depends on the initial conversation. Hopefully, no promises were made. As long as you explained your intentions up front on major vs minor repairs and your ability to complete them, I don't see any issues.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Fuck that guy... Tell Him to eat a dick!! :D

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Have to respect a man that knows his limitations. You are being honest and he cant fault you for that. If he does just maintain your integrity and know you did the right thing

mbrown2

Reaction score
A couple tweaks...I personally think it is good...one thing you may want to say is you can assist with any tow he arranges to a different shop....ie: meet the tow guy and point out location and provide access...just not sure if he is remote or not.

Name,

Due to my current workload combined with the severity and urgency of your van repair, I am recommending that you arrange for a different shop to complete these repairs. I apologize if I have caused any delay in having it completed; however, we until we had time to diagnose we were unaware of the damage and work required to complete. Had it been something more minor we could have got you going in a timely manner. I am prepared to wave any cost to you on my end, again my apologies, let me know if you would like a list of other local reputable shops.

Nathan Alexander

rivergames

Reaction score
If he gets upset about your response, your next reply should be:

'Sir with all due respect, Come get your van and shove it up your ass"

:skull

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Seems you are learning quickly who you do and who you don't want as a customer.

PaPaG

Reaction score

Name,

Nathan Alexander

You are not a magician, according to the time line you had partial day Saturday and Monday to figure out what is wrong and repair...if it was major repair you are at the mercy of the clock and access to the parts and manpower. You have other work to complete as well as new business...Your letter was perfect...you went above and beyond what most shops would do. Now if you were messing around and took his van in said it would get done quickly no problem that is another story. :D

LomitaBob

Reaction score
what I would send:
please spell check though
Customer,

As you may know it is almost impossible to diagnose an internal engine problem from looking at the exterior. Your vehicle sustained major internal damage which required extensive and timely diagnostics.As you may also know it is our goal to provide the absolute best customer service possible to each and evry customer. Due to our current work load and prior commitments combined with the severity of the repairs needed to get your vehicle back ont the road, I would like extend the oppertunity for you to seek a shop that may complete the needed reapirs in a more timely manor, as I do not wish to inconvinence you with any more down time than absolutly nesessary. If you do wish to have your vehicle repaired elsewhere I would be more than happy to wave any and all charges incured at our shop. I would also like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience or delays thus far.

or

Customer,
do you think you are the only person who has a car that broke? do you think you are the only person that need their car? It is assholes like your self who give shops a bad name. if i was working on your car and some impatient assbag wanted me to drop everything to fix his POS would you like that? what makes you so special any ways? Assholes like you should just ride the fucking bus!!!!!!

maybe the 1st one???? just giving you some options

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Well said. :D

Name,

Nathan Alexander

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score

Name,

Nathan Alexander

Good work - here's a re-write of your draft...

Name,

Thank you for bringing your van to my shop - I appreciate having the opportunity to serve you.

Unfortunately my workload is significant and, in light of the amount of work needed to repair your van, I recommend that you arrange for a different shop to do the repairs.

I don't think I have caused any delay but I apologize if I have as it took time to realize the magnitude of the repair work required. Had it been something more minor we could have gotten you going in a timely manner.

I am prepared to waive any cost to you on my end. Let me know if you would like a list of other, local reputable shops.

Thanks again,

-Me

sfury

Reaction score
If he gets upset about your response, your next reply should be:

'Sir with all due respect, Come get your van and shove it up your ass"

:skull

And it's $25.00 a day storage. :D

Reaction score

Name,

Nathan Alexander
Thats about the best you can do:thumbsup:thumbsup

Cigalert

Banned
Reaction score
Good work - here's a re-write of your draft...

Name,

Thank you for bringing your van to my shop - I appreciate having the opportunity to serve you.

Unfortunately my workload is significant and, in light of the amount of work needed to repair your van, I recommend that you arrange for a different shop to do the repairs.

I don't think I have caused any delay but I apologize if I have as it took time to realize the magnitude of the repair work required. Had it been something more minor we could have gotten you going in a timely manner.

I am prepared to waive any cost to you on my end. Let me know if you would like a list of other, local reputable shops.

Thanks again,

-Me

I like this and keeping "waving the cost" out of the initial solution is probably best if you can cover cost incurred it's better to use it as a bargaining chip later.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
what I would send:
please spell check though
Customer,

As you may know it is almost impossible to diagnose an internal engine problem from looking at the exterior. Your vehicle sustained major internal damage which required extensive and timely diagnostics.As you may also know it is our goal to provide the absolute best customer service possible to each and evry customer. Due to our current work load and prior commitments combined with the severity of the repairs needed to get your vehicle back ont the road, I would like extend the oppertunity for you to seek a shop that may complete the needed reapirs in a more timely manor, as I do not wish to inconvinence you with any more down time than absolutly nesessary. If you do wish to have your vehicle repaired elsewhere I would be more than happy to wave any and all charges incured at our shop. I would also like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience or delays thus far.

or

Customer,
do you think you are the only person who has a car that broke? do you think you are the only person that need their car? It is assholes like your self who give shops a bad name. if i was working on your car and some impatient assbag wanted me to drop everything to fix his POS would you like that? what makes you so special any ways? Assholes like you should just ride the fucking bus!!!!!!

For me personally, I like this one :D:thumbsup............................now, drop what you're doing and get the fuk back to work on MY truck ! :eek::D....................................I'll be in Parker tomorrow late, I'll stop by an bring you some money:cool:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
the guy wants his van back asap and you're going to send a letter snail mail?

just tell the dude when he called 15 times in one day. when he comes have everything ready to go sitting outside or hell even arrange for a tow truck to be there when he arrives. nothing wrong with being busy, just tell him that his timeframe is just not going to happen with the amount of work you have in the shop currently.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but If I were the customer, I would want a call not a letter/email. When he is on the phone he will probably ask you how long it might take and may agree to it hence saving the sale/service :thumbsup

2Driver

Reaction score
Fix my fucking van Nate!!!

RD

Thank you for your 16th correspondence about your Van.

I am happy to inform you that we have completed a full diagnosis on the repair and have concluded that you are not going to be in a van down by the river anytime soon.

Last edited:

parkerpowersports

Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but If I were the customer, I would want a call not a letter/email. When he is on the phone he will probably ask you how long it might take and may agree to it hence saving the sale/service :thumbsup

He emailed me at the end monday so i was simply responding to his email..

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Your always better off having someone mad at you for telling them the true!
Then having someone mad at you for lying and stringing them along.
You'll sleep better and will end up with good customers.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
He emailed me at the end monday so i was simply responding to his email..

so stop wasting the guys time and give him a phone call asking him what he would like to do. explain the sitation... first in last out priority. give a recomendation for what he should do, or maybe another shop he can take it to. you just simply dont have the time right now with his time constraints.

on another note can you tune a 454 with a demon carb? i got a high rpm bug and a little black on the transom, wondering if its something someone can look at when im in town this weekend. not sure if you're gonna be open or even have time.

parkerpowersports

Reaction score

Attachments

• Junk-van-300x225.jpg
    Junk-van-300x225.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 167

parkerpowersports

Reaction score
on another note can you tune a 454 with a demon carb? i got a high rpm bug and a little black on the transom, wondering if its something someone can look at when im in town this weekend. not sure if you're gonna be open or even have time.[/QUOTE]

i have an olg guy thats good with carb adjustment/fine tuning but idk if running it on the hose will help find a hi rpm problem due to lack of load etc..

OGShocker

Lion Hunter
Reaction score
I use this stamp on a weekly basis!

Attachments

• IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 142

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
BNAG!!! winning!!

Do you run a (successful) business or something? :headscratch::D;)

You just walked in to a no win situation and lost lol.

You wasted his time and yours.

Most people can appreciate an honest answer. If you had an inkling you could not do the repair, why not tell him so in the first place??

You can always preface it. I can look at it, but if it's "this" I probably can't fix it because we're buried right now. Do you still want me to look at it? (and charge you of course)

Giving you a little shit and some food for thought.

Good luck.

Can I borrow that please? I can use that right now ;)

I use this stamp on a weekly basis!

OGShocker

Lion Hunter
Reaction score
Can I borrow that please? I can use that right now ;)

You would not believe the trouble I went through to have five of them made. Took me five stamp shops before I found the right one.

Note: Never attempt to have a Fuck You stamp made by a company with a FISH on their business cards.

Essexive G's

Reaction score
I would leave out the severity part. It makes it sound like your shop can't handle much more than changing plugs, and plug wires. I would just stick with the fact that he is being impatient with the timeliness in which you are able to get to the more complicated problems.
Keep the problem of the work getting done on his shoulders, not yours.

parkerpowersports

Reaction score
I would leave out the severity part. It makes it sound like your shop can't handle much more than changing plugs, and plug wires. I would just stick with the fact that he is being impatient with the timeliness in which you are able to get to the more complicated problems.
Keep the problem of the work getting done on his shoulders, not yours.

more severe problems take longer to fix.. that says nothing about my abilities.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I think you handled it very well. You can never go wrong with telling the truth and being upfront about everything. :thumbsup

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I think that your original reply is in your own words and direct and to the point and well written. Well Done.
Send it.
If that doesn't work try this:
Dear sir'
Let me take this opportunity to clarify any confusion about my position regarding the needed repairs to your vehicle.
I won't do any repairs to your F****** Van. I don't want your F****** Money. I just want your Broke Down Piece of Shit out of MY Shop and YOUR Whiney Ass out of my Life.
I sincerely hope this clarify's any questions that you may have about my position.
Signed
Pissed off Shop Owner with a Match.:D

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
Here's my advice to all of you and anyonew who will listen...

no_good_deed_goes_unpunished_.jpg

Sold Honda bought Hondo

Reaction score
I think ya biffed it......poor communication skills...by the 3rd phone call you should have learned what language he actually understood.....

Evidently he did not understand:

Your workload

His place in line

Who was to call who when it was necessary

The optional additional charges that apply to those who wish, and can afford to purchase a priority one service agreement. aka cuts in line

The time necessary for a proper diagnosis, without which...'needs a motor for XX' applies.

The ability to 'guide' a conversation helps...a little small talk, say something
you know he will agree with, add a little humor...and tell him....you don't know anything right now....you don't guess at anything....give him a few possibilities, tell him..3 days you will know for sure...get an authorization for tear down/inspect and the charge for that labor.....and as soon as you are done, your cell rings....and very polity excuse yourself.

10..15 min. tops...if he calls back limit the conversation to... didn't we agree..3 days...

Unless it's a boat or motorcycle shop.....then you need to do the shoot the shit thing...a little bench racing...some humor...treat him like one of the guys. Make sure he knows you like and respect his ride..let him drive the conversation for a few...learn to tell when he has had enough and how to
polity get back to work.

Half owner of a m/c repair/custom shop almost 10 years...zero advertising..most of my work was referral...

any time a customer called it was because i asked him/her to..
I always had a progress report...my stuff was always done on time because
i always gave myself extra time....

And the number one most important thing to me anyway....when customer came for pickup he knew exactly what the bill was, exactly what was done and any other thing that might need attention...everything was test driven.....and if i had 2 comebacks a year..that was a lot....

I might work on 250 bikes a year, never remember a customers name (way bad habit) but i remember every face, every bike and usually all the repairs on the bike.

I hate talking on the phone..i can't read people...i like looking people in the eyes...auto repair is a little more.....formal.....14 years GM service tech and a year writing service.....the one thing i truly hated about writing service,
techs who can't get their diagnostics right the first time...it really sucks selling a $1500 repair...and have to call back and say opps..it's worse that we thought.. another thou please.

Everybody likes a little freebie...a little something extra for nothing.
The customer is your employer..but you are the boss in your shop.....

And yep, there are pita ass customers out there.....part of the job....unless you are fat cat..deal with it......your original note sounds like a polite..gtfo

As for pissing a customer off...i've done it...some people are butt heads...
And i doesn't matter how many people he might bad mouth me to....they know he is a butt head too....

Fury25

Reaction score
I think ya biffed it......poor communication skills...by the 3rd phone call you should have learned what language he actually understood.....

Evidently he did not understand:

Your workload

His place in line

Who was to call who when it was necessary

The optional additional charges that apply to those who wish, and can afford to purchase a priority one service agreement. aka cuts in line

The time necessary for a proper diagnosis, without which...'needs a motor for XX' applies.

The ability to 'guide' a conversation helps...a little small talk, say something
you know he will agree with, add a little humor...and tell him....you don't know anything right now....you don't guess at anything....give him a few possibilities, tell him..3 days you will know for sure...get an authorization for tear down/inspect and the charge for that labor.....and as soon as you are done, your cell rings....and very polity excuse yourself.

10..15 min. tops...if he calls back limit the conversation to... didn't we agree..3 days...

Unless it's a boat or motorcycle shop.....then you need to do the shoot the shit thing...a little bench racing...some humor...treat him like one of the guys. Make sure he knows you like and respect his ride..let him drive the conversation for a few...learn to tell when he has had enough and how to
polity get back to work.

Half owner of a m/c repair/custom shop almost 10 years...zero advertising..most of my work was referral...

any time a customer called it was because i asked him/her to..
I always had a progress report...my stuff was always done on time because
i always gave myself extra time....

And the number one most important thing to me anyway....when customer came for pickup he knew exactly what the bill was, exactly what was done and any other thing that might need attention...everything was test driven.....and if i had 2 comebacks a year..that was a lot....

I might work on 250 bikes a year, never remember a customers name (way bad habit) but i remember every face, every bike and usually all the repairs on the bike.

I hate talking on the phone..i can't read people...i like looking people in the eyes...auto repair is a little more.....formal.....14 years GM service tech and a year writing service.....the one thing i truly hated about writing service,
techs who can't get their diagnostics right the first time...it really sucks selling a $1500 repair...and have to call back and say opps..it's worse that we thought.. another thou please.

Everybody likes a little freebie...a little something extra for nothing.
The customer is your employer..but you are the boss in your shop.....

And yep, there are pita ass customers out there.....part of the job....unless you are fat cat..deal with it......your original note sounds like a polite..gtfo

As for pissing a customer off...i've done it...some people are butt heads...
And i doesn't matter how many people he might bad mouth me to....they know he is a butt head too....

Well said!!

I worked in the Automotive industry for many years as a tech and a service adviser and this will happen! when it happened to me it was mostly my fault of over promising and under delivering. Not to be rude but there are only so many things major that can go wrong with the drive train and the conversation from the start should be set at minor = quick, major = long. if you promised the guy you would look at it i would think by Monday afternoon a major or minor diag. is in line (its your business stay late to make it happen) and report back to him on some type of timeline ie. i pulled the starter and its free and i still cant manually turn the engine over, i think there is something wrong internally in the engine but i to start disassembling the engine to find out what is wrong with it. then quote a price and time it will take to get there. if you tell him 4 days im sure this guy will call in 2 or 3 but bull shit for a min tell him your working on it and will call him as soon as you know. he will respect that.

like said earlier this is when you need to decide to grow your business and maybe hire someone to answer the phone if its taking you away from working or hire someone to do the grunt jobs so you can answer the phone and do the quick ones!

keeping the customer informed in the timeline set will make you way more productive and the phone ring less in a negative way.

just my .02

(RD I hope this gets you a answer about your van) :D