WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Craigslist Scam??? What do you think?

craiger88

Reaction score
OK RD Peeps, Here's the deal: I just listed my wife's quad on Craigslist last night and I get an email this morning asking if it is still for sale. I respond back saying it is still available and then I get this email:

Great. am glad to read from you ,will appreciate more pictures... i am a Adventure Traveler, i am on mission at the moment and i will be back at the end of next month.I am buying this for my son, so am willing to offer you the amount you required,you have to understand,my work is important,I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,i've decided to cover the PayPal 3% charges and you will get your exact asking price,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay and also get back to me with your best price on this. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.
Your phone number and the location of the item is Required so as to email to the Pick Up Agent
l will be waiting for your reply asap

I haven't responded because it seems like a scam to me. I'm trying to figure out how they can work the PayPal angle. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Thanks

drew_built

Reaction score
i just recently got somthing very similar in regards to a 70 dollar nitous bottle warmer i am selling, i didnt bother responding eaither id say its a scam

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I tend to buy and sell a fair amount of shit, historically here is how it works. The buyer shows up with money and leaves with item:D

Had a guy call about a car i was selling last week, told me he wanted it but could not make the drive out from LA until the weekend because of traffic:headscratch: So I tell him "yeah i know how that goes, you would have to get in your car and drive out here" didnt here from that one again LOL

Buyers are liars.

Wayne Zighter

B list Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to me, I just emailed them back saying cash only, never heard from them again

nelsonlaptop

Reaction score
Scam.

I had the one where they say they have a loan for $5k or so over what your price is. Would you be willing to send them the difference. He sends the check and let's you take it to the bank. It's fake of course. He hopes you will write the check for the $5k and send it back before your bank figuures out it is fake. I let the guy send me the check. When it came in the mail, my wife and I got a good laugh out of it. The guy never followed up with me to see if I got it.

A dead give away is the broken english in the email.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Any response that doesn't reference your item that you have for sale is a SCAM!

Tank

Reaction score
That's a well used scam on Craigs list. I'm not sure how they get away with it - using paypal - but obvisouly they have some way to use your paypal account against you.

C-2

Reaction score
That link to Paypal has a cookie stealing page stuffed between the link and the real paypal site. It brings up a blank page for only a second or so before it takes you on to the real paypal page. Once there, the script has already stolen your paypal cookie, assuming you have a paypal account.

If you don't have an existing paypal account then you're probably o.k. .

You didn't need to enter your password for your account to be compromised - it stole your cookie and you should strongly consider changing your Paypal password before the attacker does. Also clear out your cookies using CCleaner.

So who clicked on it?

To test it, i did, in a virtual machine on 3 different browsers - but I also changed my password shortly therafter. :thumbsup

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
With Craigslist I only do face to face and cash transactions.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
One important clue that hasn't been mentioned is that the buyer always uses generic terms about your asking price (ie "Amount You Require" and "Exact Asking Price") instead of stating the actual dollar amount...because this email is blasted out to many people.

craiger88

Reaction score
C-2, that is scary to hear how quick someone can get your info, needless to say, I never responded.