WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cooler Search

sonicss31

Reaction score
Probably been covered on here before but I’m looking for a consensus on which roto formed cooler is best for keeping ice the longest. Something about 45qt size or so. No wheels or soft sided interest. Yeti, Tropic or others? Tired of buying ice every day. Thank you. Would like to remain $300 or less.

Reactions: DLC

cofooter

Reaction score
Probably been covered on here before but I’m looking for a consensus on which roto formed cooler is best for keeping ice the longest. Something about 45qt size or so. No wheels or soft sided interest. Yeti, Tropic or others? Tired of buying ice every day. Thank you. Would like to remain $300 or less.
If you find a cooler you don't have to put ice in everyday during the summer, please share the model with the class........

evantwheeler

Reaction score
For the price of a Yeti, a 12v freezer/fridge wouldn't cost a whole lot more....

rightytighty

Reaction score
If you open /close a cooler ice melts. If you restock with drinks, ice melts.

We boat 4 days at a time. 3 families with friends. We have a giant hardsided AO cooler(yeti style with seals and rubber pull downs.)

We use as drink cooler for entire group. Leave it on the houseboat. Load it day 1.empty it day 4. Drinks for 25 people over the 4th.108-112 degree all weekend. Heavy as hell when loaded.

Reload drinks every morning and some stuff (beer and seltzers 😂) twice a day. . Mpossible not to need ice.

I dont know your answer but i do know we bought the largest soft sided AO cooler and use it as an ice runner each morning. That cooler holds 2-20’s and thats how much ice we needed each day. Absolute game changer not having to wrap bags of ice in towels or life jackets and haul for the houseboat.

Food cooler is easy peasy.load n the morning. Lasts all day.

CommanderLee

Reaction score
We have a Yeti and a WalMart Ozark Trail cooler. Side by side on the boat during the summer and most days the Ozark Trail has more ice in it at the end of the day. One was $300 and the other was $50. The Ozark Trail is the one usually filled with beers and sodas, so it is opened the most.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I have a Pelican, I did this search probably 5 years ago, and I landed on Pelican due to the built in handles, vs. rope or floppy plastic. I actually tie mine down for Baja runs with the handles. I also like the hinge design as it's a full length hinge with a stainless rod, vs. cheap hinges that could break. The latches are easier to use vs. the rubber pull downs, only down side is if someone uses the cooler and they let the lid drop, it can flip the latch buttons upside down.
I've had this cooler at least 5 years, and it works and looks as good as new.

All of these coolers work best, if you spend a day or so cooling it down before you start using it. The first day you use it, the ice will melt as fast as the cheapest cooler you can buy, but once it cools down, it'll hold ice for a weekend.

A little on the pricey side, but there is a Pelican outlet store in Gardena CA, where the savings is up to like 40% off.
www.foamerica.com. They also sell Pelican flashlights at a pretty good discount.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I'd buy a used Yeti off craigslist . . . save at least a hundo.
I think a lot of people buy them not realizing how heavy they are, and never use them.

wallnutz

Reaction score
I have 2 of the Wally World brand a 84qt I believe and a 48qt, they do real good in the summer heat as long as they don't stay open for long.
Just keep it away from ACE, he might have to shit...

PlanB

Reaction score
Our Yeti will hold ice for a weekend (3-4 days) in the summer heat of Havasu no problem as long as it's not opened constantly throughout the day. In the offseason It will hold ice for 10 days. I was watching a cooler shootout on YouTube years ago, and some of the knockoff's are not as thick and not as insulated as Yeti and other top brands. You get what you pay for.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
A friend of mine turned me onto the LifeTime ones they sell at Walmart because they are made in USA and he had great experiences. I have to admit, they work really well and hold ice just as long as my Yeti. I just bought a small Coho from Costco for taking my kid to the motocross track and I like the size, but it doesn't retain the ice like the LifeTime does.

77charger

Reaction score
I have a ozark trail 55 and a lifetime 28qt. Both do well and when I fill them on thurs with all the cold stuff they can last to Sunday. Helps adding chunks of ice too.

But if I fill with all drinks and go in it often it will be low ice on sat night and cold water sun morning. I try and use the bigger one for the food and waters then use the smaller for the beers. And at that rate I’m adding a bag of ice every 1.5 days in the summer.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
look at Blue coolers................imho just as good and less $$$$ than the others

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have a Pelican, I did this search probably 5 years ago, and I landed on Pelican due to the built in handles, vs. rope or floppy plastic. I actually tie mine down for Baja runs with the handles. I also like the hinge design as it's a full length hinge with a stainless rod, vs. cheap hinges that could break. The latches are easier to use vs. the rubber pull downs, only down side is if someone uses the cooler and they let the lid drop, it can flip the latch buttons upside down.

All of these coolers work best, if you spend a day or so cooling it down before you start using it. The first day you use it, the ice will melt as fast as the cheapest cooler you can buy, but once it cools down, it'll hold ice for a weekend.

A little on the pricey side, but there is a Pelican outlet store in Gardena CA, where the savings is up to like 40% off.
www.foamerica.com. They also sell Pelican flashlights at a pretty good discount.
Going to stop by and check them out. Thanks for the link. Just drove through Gardena coming back from Contractors Warehouse. I like the 95 qt. Still 5 Billz with 132 off. Just want to see the size in person. Could use a big cooler.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
2AO bags since 08. Still kick ass. No crushed cans.

DLC

Reaction score

Better off using your existing coolers and buying an ice machine….

there is a lot of science in coolers & Ice

1-
ratio of ice to drinks, open close it all day, having it sit in direct sun for hours. Ice needs to last at least all day

2-
pre chill the cooler, pre chill all drinks Refrigerated overnight before loading cooler, adding drinks on day 2 or 3 etc

3-
drain the ice melt water or keep water in cooler after ice melts…. Hot Topic / discussion

4-
How many people are ya hydrating = bigger cooler & more ice

4.5 -
do you want ice in a cup - say in a bucket cup - Yeti style cup …. then you need to have an ice bag that doesn’t get touched while loading water bottles / beer / white claws etc …. All Those cans are dirty. Wife needs clean ice !

thats a lot of info - Rocket Science - to figure out

I could go on & on. Haven’t touched the snack cooler yet

Englewood

Reaction score

1-
ratio of ice to drinks, open close it all day, having it sit in direct sun for hours. Ice needs to last at least all day

2-
pre chill the cooler, pre chill all drinks Refrigerated overnight before loading cooler, adding drinks on day 2 or 3 etc

3-
drain the ice melt water or keep water in cooler after ice melts…. Hot Topic / discussion

4-

4.5 -
do you want ice in a cup - say in a bucket cup - Yeti style cup …. then you need to have an ice bag that doesn’t get touched while loading water bottles / beer / white claws etc …. All Those cans are dirty. Wife needs clean ice !

We don’t all have an ice machine in our garage like you!

PlanB

Reaction score

1-

2-

3-

4-

4.5 -

Don't drain the water. It is denser than air and if cold if will help keep the ice from melting as fast.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Yeti The quality and how long they last is better than the competition. 🤷🏼‍♂️
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1303.jpeg

Reactions: DWC

DLC

Reaction score
Don't drain the water. It is denser than air and if cold if will help keep the ice from melting as fast.
That is a hot topic for debate….

In Borrego / ocotillo 10 day trips we would drain the water into a dog bowl and ice lasted longer…

NicPaus

Reaction score
Pelican is made right down the street from me. But I no longer know anyone that works there. 20 years ago I got the back door pricing. Lol Now I gotta pay full price.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Try this . . . you might be surprised.

In your pre-chilled cooler . . . line the bottom of it with some frozen bottles of saltwater. (1/4 cup salt per 1/2 gallon of water ratio)
Then add a layer of regular ice.
Then pack your cooler normally and ice over it.

You can google the science behind it . . . but essentially, the saltwater Ice will melt first, lowering the temp of the ice around it . . . thus making it last longer.
Obviously it only works until the saltwater has melted all the way. and the temps equal out

You could just rock salt the ice . . . but you'll just get a SUPER cold-ass slush that'll freeze everything inside (including beers/ sodas) and the ice will melt fast . . . hence the water bottles which keep the salt separate.

Oh yeah . . . don't drink the saltwater bottles . . .LOL . . . I mark them with a sharpie now so I don't forget . . . again. 😉

Done-it-again

Reaction score

The Pelican coolers work better than yeti and RTC. Luckily I have a family member who works for them. Just heavy some bitches.

Have 2 70 qt ice chest and got the BX255 cargo case for traveling in the X7 when we need more cargo storage. Almost done with the custom hitch rack that will hold and be able to tilt down so we are able to open the back.

Get415

Reaction score
I've had great luck with Canyon Coolers. There is a bunch of online comparison test and they do great. More reasonably priced than some other roto forms

Roosky01

Reaction score
Whichever cooler you choose, I’ve had great luck in extending ice life when utilizing these in the cooler along with ice.

They help immensely, IMO, and we never run out of ice.😎

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I've had great luck with Canyon Coolers. There is a bunch of online comparison test and they do great. More reasonably priced than some other roto forms
Also a Az local Flagstaff company, FYI

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I got a Coho roto molded cooler at Costco, first roto cooler i have owned, other that its a heavy SOB im happy with it.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I have 2 igloo. One is a thick wall that’s just for ice , meat, vodka. Normal chest for drinks etc. a weekend in th e desert and I always bring ice home. All in under a hundy.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have a canyon 103 and a ultralight RTIC 52.

The Canyon is huge and built like a tank. The RTIC is good and i like it for jeep rides because its smaller and lighter.

Build quality and customer support goes to the Canyon.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Outdrive1

Reaction score
We have one of those Yeti soft sided ones like your grey one. I hate the zipper. The AO is way easier to use.
Headed to Powell on Saturday. Hoping to find some block ice in Havasu. I've never looked before.

I’ve literally had 10 AO coolers. They leak eventually. The straps break off, if they turn on their side the zipper leaks, plus they don’t keep ice half as long as a Yeti. I’ll never buy another one. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I’ve literally had 10 AO coolers. They leak eventually. The straps break off, if they turn on their side the zipper leaks, plus they don’t keep ice half as long as a Yeti. I’ll never buy another one. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm only on my second AO. My first blew out of the boat one day on a solo run. If it leaks, can't I just put a dab of silicone on the hole?
I've posted this before, but my son had this painted, etc. to match my wife's new Bronco. She just keeps stuff in it in the back of the Bronco.

IMG_1885.jpg

cofooter

Reaction score
I'm only on my second AO. My first blew out of the boat one day on a solo run. If it leaks, can't I just put a dab of silicone on the hole?
I've posted this before, but my son had this painted, etc. to match my wife's new Bronco. She just keeps stuff in it in the back of the Bronco.

View attachment 1404199
Call AO, they will fix it for life! For REALS! I think you pay $15 for return shipping. I've had a few liners and one zipper replaced on my two. Or if you're in the IE drop it off and pick it up!

renodaytona

Reaction score
I have a yeti 45 that I got on market place years ago for cheap. It works great once its cold. I have two 52 quart ultralight RTIC's that I got on a memorial day sale 50% off a few years back, they work good, once again once they are cold they hold ice and keep things cold. I used the RITC in Havasu during my 4th of July trip and it had Ice in it from the day before each day and I left it in the boat overnight.

sonicss31

Reaction score
Call AO, they will fix it for life! For REALS! I think you pay $15 for return shipping. I've had a few liners and one zipper replaced on my two. Or if you're in the IE drop it off and pick it up!
Correct. I just sent mine back with $15 inside and about 2 weeks later it came back good as new.

Outdrive1

Reaction score

I had a carbon fiber one that was literally coming apart. The straps had broken off, they wouldn’t warranty it or repair. They really don’t warranty the cooler for life. They will fix leaky ones and charge you for it.

After they told me to pound sand I replaced all their crappy coolers with Yeti’s.

djhartley2003

Reaction score
I used to work down the street from AO. I had a cooler that was less than a year old that I bought at Campbells in Havasu. The liner ripped, the rest of the cooler wasn't beat up. They told me that they wouldn't warrant it because I didn't have a receipt to prove where I bought it.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I used to work down the street from AO. I had a cooler that was less than a year old that I bought at Campbells in Havasu. The liner ripped, the rest of the cooler wasn't beat up. They told me that they wouldn't warrant it because I didn't have a receipt to prove where I bought it.
Last year I sent them 2 AO cooler bags that I bought 10+ years ago and no questions asked they put new liners in them and shipped them back for $15 each.

djhartley2003

Reaction score
Last year I sent them 2 AO cooler bags that I bought 10+ years ago and no questions asked they put new liners in them and shipped them back for $15 each.
Maybe its who you talk too, I don't know. I have 3 large AO coolers hanging in my garage because they leak. I now have Yeti 45 and 2 of the Yeti Roadie 24's. I love them.

77charger

Reaction score
I had a carbon fiber one that was literally coming apart. The straps had broken off, they wouldn’t warranty it or repair. They really don’t warranty the cooler for life. They will fix leaky ones and charge you for it.

After they told me to pound sand I replaced all their crappy coolers with Yeti’s.
yup same experience with mine that zipper was bad.Cooler was a few years old at most ended up using my lifetime 28qt as my boat cooler.still have an AO 6 pack carbon cooler does fine for buggy or jet ski actually too.