WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Commander Boats Quality

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Commander Boats Business Update

2/1/2011

We are addressing this forum, as one of our valued customers just brought the reports on this thread to our attention.

It is important that we present this information to our loyal customers and interested patrons, whom we credit the Commander Boats' rise to the top of the custom boat industry.

At the present time, we are running a low-cost and low-profile operation, in keeping with the challenging economic times. We expect to emerge out this contracted mode of operation, once the economy affords better opportunities.

Following are the relevant facts in this context:
I. We did NOT go out of business.
More importantly, Commander Boats did not cease its operations even for a single
day.
We undertook a drastic downsizing of our operations, in keeping with the
economy.
II. We closed our sales showroom in Corona, off 91 FWY, before the start of the
year 2008 and we moved out of the Perris Factory location in April 2008.
III. Following are the relevant details, concerning our relocation and downsizing:
1. Our sales and business office is presently located at 1011 East 3rd Street,
Corona, CA 92505. We are also performing service work at this location.
2. We have an additional service and storage facility in Perris, at a different location.
3. We are storing our molds at another location, near the Corona showroom.
4. We are still contemplating to consolidate the operations at one location, when
we have the opportunity to do so.

Thus, we are trying to piece this puzzle together, as the economy would permit.

Thank you.

Sy

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
Nice find Mandy

IMO, so many of these companies share hulls, molds, materials and have the same Merc drive equipement, that its hard to tell that much of a diff. When your talking brands from Commander, Essesx, Ultra, Eliminator, Nordic, Magic, Conquest, Laveycraft, Warlock.....etc, they are all so close, its all about inspecting it, doing a suvery and really check that specific boat out to see how well it was rigged. Keep in mind that each company could have had a crappy employee the month your boat was made and build details suffered. Just check it out close to see if that hull, motor package and rigging have ever had serious issues and make a decision.
:thumbsup

I don't know If I can agree with that. I think that when you get into the caliber of boat that lavey hallett howard schiada and any other top quality brands, the boats are held to a higher standard. I don't think any of these company's presidents let sub par (par is defined by their personal standards) boats go out of their showroom. After all I'd bet that 80% of business comes from recommendations from previous owners.
Just because a boat looks good doesn't mean it was built well. That's the huge selling point of higher caliber boats is that they spend more time putting the boat together the way it should be done not the way everyone else is doing it. And I would be very surprised if work of crappy employes was not double if not triple checked from superiors.

With a few exceptions, I totaly disagree...

From about '99-04 boat builders couldn't hire enough quality people and build boats fast enogh, demand out weighed supply and boats were sold faster then they could be made. I have zero doubt in my mind that quality control was overwelmed. 3wheels4life hit the nail on the head.

Some manufacturers built super high quality boats which sold themselves. Some sold the lifestyle and many here drank their cool aid. Those boats are average, yet the fans still yell loudest. I've been boating and hanging around these forums for a while now. I know what the masses are saying. I have met many people with different brand boats from the same era with the same motors/props and our complaints are very similar, while we still love our boats.

All I can tell you is that my Commander is holding up well, while being stored outside for most of its life. It gets me to the sandbar and has never left me stranded. I have had no issues with floors delaminating or shit falling apart. In my book, Sy makes a quality product and for the price it is a extreme bargain. I would buy another one built by his era in a heartbeat..

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
A friend has an 04 28 Commander Cat, delamination in the floor.

That said, he runs the piss out of that boat harder than anyone else I know, and it' hasn't sank yet. He's not happy with Sy's response over the issue as he is on his second Commander. But the thing runs, regardless.

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
A friend has an 04 28 Commander Cat, delamination in the floor.

That said, he runs the piss out of that boat harder than anyone else I know, and it' hasn't sank yet. He's not happy with Sy's response over the issue as he is on his second Commander. But the thing runs, regardless.

There was an '02 Eliminator (23' Eagle) that I was looking at buying from a co-worker, but it was about $10K more than my Commander...and the Eliminator had about an extra hundred hours on it.

I ran into another co-worker who acyually did buy it and his has been a total money pit. Dropped $3K in repairing the delaminted floor (that's were I got that from).

I guess it happens...

JBS

Reaction score
Commander Boats Business Update

2/1/2011

We are addressing this forum, as one of our valued customers just brought the reports on this thread to our attention.

It is important that we present this information to our loyal customers and interested patrons, whom we credit the Commander Boats' rise to the top of the custom boat industry.

At the present time, we are running a low-cost and low-profile operation, in keeping with the challenging economic times. We expect to emerge out this contracted mode of operation, once the economy affords better opportunities.

Following are the relevant facts in this context:
I. We did NOT go out of business.
More importantly, Commander Boats did not cease its operations even for a single
day.
We undertook a drastic downsizing of our operations, in keeping with the
economy.
II. We closed our sales showroom in Corona, off 91 FWY, before the start of the
year 2008 and we moved out of the Perris Factory location in April 2008.
III. Following are the relevant details, concerning our relocation and downsizing:
1. Our sales and business office is presently located at 1011 East 3rd Street,
Corona, CA 92505. We are also performing service work at this location.
2. We have an additional service and storage facility in Perris, at a different location.
3. We are storing our molds at another location, near the Corona showroom.
4. We are still contemplating to consolidate the operations at one location, when
we have the opportunity to do so.

Thus, we are trying to piece this puzzle together, as the economy would permit.

Thank you.

Sy

Wow This must be news to the others who are producing Boats:D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

I knew someone would hang some shit on that statement.:rolleyes: As if every other boat manufacturer never claimed(s) to be at the top of their industry.
I had a rather in depth talk some years ago(2003) with the owner of one of the "premeir" builders that everyone loves on these forums. We talked about Sy and his boats among other things. He truly couldn't believe how people put commanders down, said it was unfair and unjust......all us boat makers have about the same failure rate. He thought perhaps some of the reactions were because Sy wasn't the type to just roll over and give in to some customers demands. He also felt Sy's boats were very good and even wished he had done some of the things Sy did with his models.
Its not a whole lot different then the Cheetah bashers or the mentality that lower cost always means lower quality. Maybe its just a lower profit margin.
For the average weekend boater that goes out with his family, he's going to be satisfied with just about any boat out there, production or custom. It will fit their needs.
Its the discerning nautical guys that will demand better than the best of everything(nuttin wrong with that).......or that yuk-yuk neighbor of yours that had to get a 38cat so your wife thinks his dick is bigger;):D

JBS

Reaction score

I knew someone would hang some shit on that statement.:rolleyes: As if every other boat manufacturer never claimed(s) to be at the top of their industry.

I had a rather in depth talk some years ago(2003) with the owner of one of the "premeir" builders that everyone loves on these forums. We talked about Sy and his boats among other things. He truly couldn't believe how people put commanders down, said it was unfair and unjust......all us boat makers have about the same failure rate. He thought perhaps some of the reactions were because Sy wasn't the type to just roll over and give in to some customers demands. He also felt Sy's boats were very good and even wished he had done some of the things Sy did with his models.
Its not a whole lot different then the Cheetah bashers or the mentality that lower cost always means lower quality. Maybe its just a lower profit margin.
For the average weekend boater that goes out with his family, he's going to be satisfied with just about any boat out there, production or custom. It will fit their needs.
Its the discerning nautical guys that will demand better than the best of everything(nuttin wrong with that).......or that yuk-yuk neighbor of yours that had to get a 38cat so your wife thinks his dick is bigger;):D

Actually I have nothing against Commander. From a design prospective they are actually good looking boats:thumbsup

I also don't know Sy but if he thinks he is at the top he may need a reality check:D

BTW I have not always had DCB. Went from a Chaparralel to a Kachina to a DCB and then another DCB.

Have had a couple of Jet boats for the river also:grumble:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Actually I have nothing against Commander. From a design prospective they are actually good looking boats:thumbsup

I also don't know Sy but if he thinks he is at the top he may need a reality check:D

BTW I have not always had DCB. Went from a Chaparralel to a Kachina to a DCB and then another DCB.

Have had a couple of Jet boats for the river also:grumble:
All I meant is that most every boat brochure I've ever read says their boats are the best, best in class, top of the line, :blah::blah::blah::blah:. All builders should rightfully talk their stuff up, if they aren't excited about their product who will be.
Well, I've admitted to owning a couple whackers, a jet and my current I/O.........always what worked for me at the time.:thumbsup

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Commander was the first to use hull aeration screws instead of a step. :p

D

Deleted Account

Commander was the first to use hull aeration screws instead of a step. :p

LOL... I have been in more than one shop over the years where the customer comes back from the lake and tells them he can't get the boat off the trailer... Interior was installed with the lag bolts through the hull and into the trailer pads... Oops.:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
LOL... I have been in more than one shop over the years where the customer comes back from the lake and tells them he can't get the boat off the trailer... Interior was installed with the lag bolts through the hull and into the trailer pads... Oops.:D

:fsakes :smackhead

westair

Reaction score

Might be easier at that point to keep the pads attached to your boat and not the trailer, so not to ruin your day;)

Chestah Cheetah

Extra Medium
Reaction score
Might be easier at that point to keep the pads attached to your boat and not the trailer, so not to ruin your day;)

Would that essentially make the boat a ModVP hull or a full hydroplane?

Commander Boats - Sharpening the cutting edge? :)

hallett21

Reaction score
Nice find Mandy

:thumbsup

With a few exceptions, I totaly disagree...

From about '99-04 boat builders couldn't hire enough quality people and build boats fast enogh, demand out weighed supply and boats were sold faster then they could be made. I have zero doubt in my mind that quality control was overwelmed. 3wheels4life hit the nail on the head.

Some manufacturers built super high quality boats which sold themselves. Some sold the lifestyle and many here drank their cool aid. Those boats are average, yet the fans still yell loudest. I've been boating and hanging around these forums for a while now. I know what the masses are saying. I have met many people with different brand boats from the same era with the same motors/props and our complaints are very similar, while we still love our boats.

All I can tell you is that my Commander is holding up well, while being stored outside for most of its life. It gets me to the sandbar and has never left me stranded. I have had no issues with floors delaminating or shit falling apart. In my book, Sy makes a quality product and for the price it is a extreme bargain. I would buy another one built by his era in a heartbeat..

Which part do you disagree with? I think that during that period (99-04) some companies did slip on their quality control however I think that was shown by companies going under as well. The companies I listed have been around forever and are still around today. Companies like DCB and the others I listed, hold themselves to a higher standard. We didn't see schiadas and howards skip on quality to make a fast buck. From talking with Mike willen at howard he told me they only have one mold for each hull design. He said he didn't have a desire to try to build multiple molds and push boats out to make quick money. I would assume hallett DCB Lavey and others are like howard in this thinking. I think that consistency is what makes a custom boat company survive and succeed.

Loren