WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Central California Boating

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
Hello RDP people,

I recently moved from Southern California up to Central California - Tulare/Visalia area
we are looking for some boating friends and good recommendations for places to go, we still boat Parker, AZ quite a bit, but there seems to be a lot of closer options we would like to explore.

We tried out Lake Kaweah which was great because its 25min from home, but there is ZERO shoreline to pull up to and actually park the boat.

This weekend Saturday 5/19 we are going to run the flat bottom to Millerton Lake and give it a shake down @ Meadows Campground - which was recommended to me by some friends.

If anyone else is in this general area and want to meet up or plan something feel free to shoot me a message or call/text.
Chris - (562) 277-3431

We have (2) boats right now....because that's necessary...haha
1995 Ski Centurion Falcon V-Drive (Family Boat)
1967 Sanger Flat Bottom V-Drive (The Toy)

Look forward to getting some feed back on some of the local lakes and RDP friends up here!

Attachments

• IMG_9857.JPG
    IMG_9857.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9596.JPG
    IMG_9596.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 376
  • Sanger12.jpg
    Sanger12.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Sanger14.jpg
    Sanger14.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 363

N of the rvr

Reaction score
Pine flat lake, good water, not much for sandy beaches. We will be there all weekend. Your not “the” Chris Lapoint are you? Welcome to RDP and to central cal.

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
Pine flat lake, good water, not much for sandy beaches. We will be there all weekend. Your not “the” Chris Lapoint are you? Welcome to RDP and to central cal.
If "the" Chris Lapoint you are referring to is the water skier, I am not "the" one.

oldschool

Reaction score
Welcome to the land of milk and honey. There are a few board member that live in the area. I live in Visalia and work in Reedley. Here's my take on the local lakes and river. Lake Kaweah is close and not a bad spot when it's full and not crowded. Don't leave anything out you don't want stolen and constantly have your head on a swivel, because dipshits are everywhere. Very few places to shore camp, not sure you want because you will either get bite by a rattle snake or step on glass. Lots of billy bad asses "bro" en it up back in greasy cove on the weekends. Pine Flat is much bigger and if the water is down there are more spots to shore camp, but still limited. Everyone is fairly friendly and, from my experience
, most of the boaters are more experienced. The Kings River is cool when there is water and if you know the river. I used to run my Hondo there a lot, but that was a long time ago. We try to go to Don Pedro as often as possible, it's north near Merced. A lot of place to shore camp and great campground, although they tend to have a bit of the south of the boarder flavor on holidays. I've only been to Millerton once and that was on a Hobie Cat. Whatever you do don't go to Lake Success.

707dog

Reaction score
Welcome to the land of milk and honey. There are a few board member that live in the area. I live in Visalia and work in Reedley. Here's my take on the local lakes and river. Lake Kaweah is close and not a bad spot when it's full and not crowded. Don't leave anything out you don't want stolen and constantly have your head on a swivel, because dipshits are everywhere. Very few places to shore camp, not sure you want because you will either get bite by a rattle snake or step on glass. Lots of billy bad asses "bro" en it up back in greasy cove on the weekends. Pine Flat is much bigger and if the water is down there are more spots to shore camp, but still limited. Everyone is fairly friendly and, from my experience
, most of the boaters are more experienced. The Kings River is cool when there is water and if you know the river. I used to run my Hondo there a lot, but that was a long time ago. We try to go to Don Pedro as often as possible, it's north near Merced. A lot of place to shore camp and great campground, although they tend to have a bit of the south of the boarder flavor on holidays. I've only been to Millerton once and that was on a Hobie Cat. Whatever you do don't go to Lake Success.
don Pedro is one of our favorite lakes we use Fleming meadow as a last resort spot but spend most of our trips at moccasin
point have done the boat in camping to plenty of places to get away from the BS on that lake

oldschool

Reaction score
don Pedro is one of our favorite lakes we use Fleming meadow as a last resort spot but spend most of our trips at moccasin
point
We actually prefer Blue Oak, camp spots are a bit bigger and spread out. But, I do love the Moccasin campgrounds. We actually spend most of our time on the lake up at that end.

707dog

Reaction score
We actually prefer Blue Oak, camp spots are a bit bigger and spread out. But, I do love the Moccasin campgrounds. We actually spend most of our till on the lake up at that end.
we did blue oak with another family when the lake was low shittin foks that was a long walk to the water:D:D

Meaney77

Reaction score

You guys arent terribly far from Shaver?

RCDave

Reaction score
Bass lake is fun during the week. Beautiful lake but a little small. Miller's landing has great food and ice cream.

There is a Sandy spot to chill at too. Kind of a small sand bar

707dog

Reaction score
Hello RDP people,

I recently moved from Southern California up to Central California - Tulare/Visalia area
we are looking for some boating friends and good recommendations for places to go, we still boat Parker, AZ quite a bit, but there seems to be a lot of closer options we would like to explore.

We tried out Lake Kaweah which was great because its 25min from home, but there is ZERO shoreline to pull up to and actually park the boat.

This weekend Saturday 5/19 we are going to run the flat bottom to Millerton Lake and give it a shake down @ Meadows Campground - which was recommended to me by some friends.

If anyone else is in this general area and want to meet up or plan something feel free to shoot me a message or call/text.
Chris - (562) 277-3431

We have (2) boats right now....because that's necessary...haha
1995 Ski Centurion Falcon V-Drive (Family Boat)
1967 Sanger Flat Bottom V-Drive (The Toy)

Look forward to getting some feed back on some of the local lakes and RDP friends up here!
not sure how far out you want to venture but the California delta offers some great boating and there is quit a few us and v-drive guys from norcal who do beach and lunch runs all the time thru out the year. there is restaurant/ bars,camping and cabins in scattered around the region , there is a lot of water to boat it will take a few trips to get the hang of it. most of them hang out on another site i think we are the only ones who still post there but check out the events tab at the top of the page the vdrive get downs are posted on there

4Waters

Reaction score
Bass lake is fun during the week. Beautiful lake but a little small. Miller's landing has great food and ice cream.

There is a Sandy spot to chill at too. Kind of a small sand bar
Bass lake does a flattie regatta every year or at least they used to, they did last year a friend has been going for years.

oldschool

Reaction score
Doh. That's Mammoth Pools Reservoir, bitchin boat in camping.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Turlock lake is another to try up there.Went there for years.

sintax

Reaction score
Would love to see more flats on the King river.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Bob and Chris Lapoint were my favorite water-skiers .
I still have my Maharaja Lapoint waterski.

to bad your not the real Chris Lapoint:D
Same here. Went to events in nor cal to watch them compete.

Got any pics of ski and u want to sell ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

brgrcru

Reaction score

funny. i sold mine years ago to someone 30 + years ago. was 13th birthday gift to myself . fiberglass or honeycomb yellow top, black bottom. loved that ski.
talked to the guy a few years ago and he still had it. He gave it back to me. for a dollar.
now it sits. probably never sell it. hard to find.
ill get pictures tonight.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Sorry for the thread jack Chris Lapoint.
Ill add.
I grew up going to pine flats. Drift wood trailer park now called island park.
Lake McClure and don Pedro were always on my parents rotation. kings river a little. but the delta has been and will be always a great place to go. been going there for 50 years. Vieras resort. by Isleton. great skiing even on big weekends.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I love boating New Melones. Great lake with warm water and the cities of Angels Camp and Murphy's are awesome!

rightytighty

Reaction score
IMG_6789.JPG
We are Pine Flat boaters. Grew up in So Cal (Diamond Bar/Walnut) and drove to PF most weekends of the summer. Relocated to Fresno myself after College. Been boating with the same group every other weekend for the past 25+ years. Raised our kids there together. They still make the drive from Chino hills and Rancho Cuc, Huntington Beach and Lake Tahoe (drive to fresno for boating.. weird huh?). We've been to all the lakes mentioned above (really like don pedro, mammoth pools and Redinger), but were always drawn back to PF. Stay in touch if you head up to PF.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
As mentioned if you don't mind a little north, within couple hours you'll have lots of choices. We live 20 min from lake McClure, a bit smaller than don Pedro(appx 24 miles from river to dam if the waters up), less wind, less crowded. On a normal weekend maybe 50 boats on the lake. No shore camping but several campgrounds, if water is up bagby is a small campground with sites a few feet off water. It was closed during drought and had a wildfire and a flood this year so may not open. Horseshoe bend is nice but more "flat landers". Other wise we go to Pedro couple times a year, delta couple times, bass lake buetiful, bars next to water, but tiny(5 miles long, maybe). If headed this way let us know.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I went to Pine flat 2 or 3 times a month from the San Fernando Valley for 20+ years 60's 70's and early 80's. Then the lake ran out of water. We hung in there until mid 80's and then gave up and started going to Havasu more regularly (used to only go to Havasu for Spring break and Sept/Oct.). We used to have a pontoon boat that we kept at Trimmer Marina and later at Lake Ridge (I think that was the name) and had a 17'10" Sanger flat bottom for skiing. Fun times. I haven't been back to Pine flat since about 1985. I heard there is now a 35 mph speed limit on the lake. Is that correct?

rightytighty

Reaction score
I went to Pine flat 2 or 3 times a month from the San Fernando Valley for 20+ years 60's 70's and early 80's. Then the lake ran out of water. We hung in there until mid 80's and then gave up and started going to Havasu more regularly (used to only go to Havasu for Spring break and Sept/Oct.). We used to have a pontoon boat that we kept at Trimmer Marina and later at Lake Ridge (I think that was the name) and had a 17'10" Sanger flat bottom for skiing. Fun times. I haven't been back to Pine flat since about 1985. I heard there is now a 35 mph speed limit on the lake. Is that correct?

No it’s not a 35 mph speed limit.
My Sanger approaches 80 and I’ve passed the Ranger at speed. I run most Saturday/Sunday’s and have never heard a word.
There’s a member here that runs a 120+ mph 2-speed hydro with zoomies throughout the summer. He runs the lake like a boss. (He must have a damm big tank for a hydro) He is not afraid of 1/4 mile squirts for sure. There probably is some speed limit but I have no clue what it is. But I know it’s not 35.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Boated in Central Calif once. Was most impressed by the outstanding condition of some of the older boats. Pretty depressing that you have to be concerned about thugs and theft while you're just trying to enjoy boating. Just another reason I don't miss Calif.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’m in Sanger. Usually boat at Pine Flat and Millerton. The east end of Millerton has a nice wide area where people float and have a good time. Pine Flat, you get to the east end and it’s usually very peaceful.

If you haven’t boated King’s River, you owe it to yourself to take the Sanger flatty there for a spin. You can launch free in Reedley at Cricket Hollow Park. Boat south (north is no wake only). It’s only open for boating Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend.

There’s so many lakes and a few rivers, a slough, and The Delta, to boat in Cental Valley, you could spend each summer weekend at a different one and still not see all of them. Not to mention Lake Naciemento and a few others near the Central Coast.

With the reservoirs filled with plenty of water, the boating will be great this summer.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Originally from Merced and love boating on Don Pedro, McClure, Barryessa the Delta etc.
I also have a Falcon V drive I picked up cheap as a family truckster, what type of speeds are you seeing out of yours? Fairly rare boat in a v drive not much info out there
IMG_20180509_202835706.jpg

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Lake New Hogan in Valley Springs is really cool. It's managed by ACE so rules are more lax than most Cali lakes. The Banderlog guys do a few trips there every year starting the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
Originally from Merced and love boating on Don Pedro, McClure, Barryessa the Delta etc.
I also have a Falcon V drive I picked up cheap as a family truckster, what type of speeds are you seeing out of yours? Fairly rare boat in a v drive not much info out there View attachment 644798

Hey!
it's got an ACME 541 3 Blade 13" x 12" Prop and it will top out just a tick over 40-42mph(ish)
this boat was optioned with the "Pro Boss" package Ford 351W - from the info I was able to turn up it has GT40 heads and a small factory ford cam and mine is still carbureted and has a holley on it and to be honest I've never even checked the list number because it runs perfect, it also has an updated MSD ignition. I was able to call Ski Centurion and talk to someone there in "Tech" who was able to confirm the boat has a 25gal fuel tank (my gauge doesn't work), so now at least I can gauge how much I am using.

Attachments

• Ski Centurion(Engine).jpg
    Ski Centurion(Engine).jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 97

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
I’m in Sanger. Usually boat at Pine Flat and Millerton. The east end of Millerton has a nice wide area where people float and have a good time. Pine Flat, you get to the east end and it’s usually very peaceful.

If you haven’t boated King’s River, you owe it to yourself to take the Sanger flatty there for a spin. You can launch free in Reedley at Cricket Hollow Park. Boat south (north is no wake only). It’s only open for boating Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend.

There’s so many lakes and a few rivers, a slough, and The Delta, to boat in Cental Valley, you could spend each summer weekend at a different one and still not see all of them. Not to mention Lake Naciemento and a few others near the Central Coast.

With the reservoirs filled with plenty of water, the boating will be great this summer.

Sounds good, I plan on trying to hit a few of the "good boating" spots this summer in between the couple of Parker, AZ trips we have.
One main question I did have was in regards to the speed limits & noise (dry headers) for the flat bottom, obviously it's a purpose built boat and I don't cruise a ton in it, because of the small 8 gal tank and the cost of 110 race gas (haha), when I take it somewhere I need to be able to get shore close enough to where I parked to re-fuel and hang out.

Boating in new water ways and lakes is always nerve racking especially since neither boat can adjust the trim like an I/O - so just curios of the common things to "watch" out for - Logs/Snags/Rocks, Shallow Spots, etc... I'm sure over time I will figure it out but I'd rather not lose a couple of $400 props/shafts/rudders and so on.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Sounds good, I plan on trying to hit a few of the "good boating" spots this summer in between the couple of Parker, AZ trips we have.
One main question I did have was in regards to the speed limits & noise (dry headers) for the flat bottom, obviously it's a purpose built boat and I don't cruise a ton in it, because of the small 8 gal tank and the cost of 110 race gas (haha), when I take it somewhere I need to be able to get shore close enough to where I parked to re-fuel and hang out.

Boating in new water ways and lakes is always nerve racking especially since neither boat can adjust the trim like an I/O - so just curios of the common things to "watch" out for - Logs/Snags/Rocks, Shallow Spots, etc... I'm sure over time I will figure it out but I'd rather not lose a couple of $400 props/shafts/rudders and so on.

From what I've gathered over the years, wet headers are required (or noise suppression to point where Rangers won't take a close look at you). Now, you could run dry until you spot a Ranger, then turn on the water. That's what I always did when I owned a '71 Sanger flat and my cousin still does. Rangers at both Kings River and Millerton have chased my cousin in his Sanger flat to give a talking to about having to run water through headers.

Speed Limits: Not aware of any at Millerton in main area. When it narrows there are floating buoys that state 35 mph. Kings River between Reedley and just south of Highway 99 is mostly 35 (if I remember correctly), with two 5mph zones (sometimes a 3rd zone in front of Riverland Resort going East. But, north of Lindy's Landing, there's a nice straight spot that is perfect for speed passes. The Sheriff will patrol Kings River, so you need to pay attention to his location if you want to turn it up a bit :D . Sometimes, there are two Sheriff boats patrolling. Pine Flat: 50mph according to this http://www.spk.usace.army.mil/Locations/Sacramento-District-Parks/Pine-Flat-Lake/ , I had though it was "safe for the conditions" before I looked it up just now.

Hazards: should be minimal this year with water level up. Kings is almost all sand, but you do need to watch for floating debris (especially early in boating season - this goes for any of the lakes in the Sierra foothills). It's been a number of years since boating on Kings, and last year they flooded that area due to Pine Flat reaching 100% of capacity and water still rushing in. Maybe someone that boated on Kings late last summer can provide an update on conditions. Most major hazards are marked in the boating waters in the Fresno area.

RACER J

Reaction score
Nice boats! Welcome to the neighborhood. I have a welding and machine shop in Exeter, so I'm also a local. As said before the local lake is ok to drop the boat in and cruise around for the afternoon, just look out for Billy bad ass that has no experience driving a boat. If you want to run the flat bottom all out and do some testing, I'd go to mendota slough. Probably the best water around for skiing and running a boat all out. Hit me up if you head that way and I'll meet you there.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
DSCF0068.JPG
DSCF5407.JPG
Hey Chris, I am in Long Beach but have been going to Kings River since I was a year old. We go every summer, use to be a week in June, July and if there was Water August but now we are down to just a single week as family commitments and work keep us away. It's cold, current is fast, small and you need to know the river but its not hard to figure out of you just take your time and it very pretty as the entire river is tree lined. We stay at Lindys Landing now in Reedley, over the last 45+ years we have bounced back and forth between Royal Oaks, River Land and Lindys with the majority of time being at Lindy's. We have a group of friends that are at Lindys every other week from mid June thru Mid August. I keep my Flat Bottom in Visalia at my Dad's farm and it a quick 30 minute pull to the river. We will be at Lindy's Monday afternoon June 18 thru Friday afternoon June 22. Going to be a pretty quiet trip as not everyone from my family can make it. This is usually what it looks like when we camp. View attachment 646841 View attachment 646842 View attachment 646841 View attachment 646842 View attachment 646841 View attachment 646841

brgrcru

Reaction score

here it is. need bindings for it.

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 145

Chris Lapoint

Reaction score
Well, I tried out Millerton Lake this past weekend and it was awesome! We launched at Meadows Campground and everything was great - a huge positive was that I was able to launch the boat and walk it on and off the trailer since it's a bit more difficult with the flat bottom.
I can't wait to bring the wakeboat boat and do some more exploring of the lake.

Here's a few pictures of the boat.
Millerton.jpg
Millerton2.jpg
Millerton3.jpg
Millerton4.jpg
Millerton5.jpg
Millerton6.jpg

JJK94

Reaction score
Nice boats! Welcome to the neighborhood. I have a welding and machine shop in Exeter, so I'm also a local. As said before the local lake is ok to drop the boat in and cruise around for the afternoon, just look out for Billy bad ass that has no experience driving a boat. If you want to run the flat bottom all out and do some testing, I'd go to mendota slough. Probably the best water around for skiing and running a boat all out. Hit me up if you head that way and I'll meet you there.
The mendota Slough -- Is that still Jack's Bayou Resort .. was there 30 years ago when it was a secret.

RACER J

Reaction score
The mendota Slough -- Is that still Jack's Bayou Resort .. was there 30 years ago when it was a secret.
Yep. Same place, still pretty empty during the week so still must be a pretty good secret!! Not much has changed in the last 30 years, the bait shop looks just like it did back then.