WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Carrera V-drive Syndicate

Snprhed

Reaction score
So Im on the hunt for a boat. I came across a Carrera Syndicate with a v-drive and was hoping to get some input. The ad is here

Its been for sale for more than a year, maybe 2. I know Carrera boats are pretty well built, but have no first hand knowledge of v-drives. How they change driving characteristics, are they as reliable etc.

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
So Im on the hunt for a boat. I came across a Carrera Syndicate with a v-drive and was hoping to get some input. The ad is here

Its been for sale for more than a year, maybe 2. I know Carrera boats are pretty well built, but have no first hand knowledge of v-drives. How they change driving characteristics, are they as reliable etc.
I don’t know about that boat but I agree with you they make a very solid boat. If you’re looking for a 25 foot, my sleekcraft v-drive is for sale and I can send you a bunch of pictures. It’s a bitchen boat and I’ve gone completely through it, I’m forced to get rid of it because of my father-in-law‘s health, I had to go buy a trI tune. DM if you’re interested.

Attachments

• 75F586B3-9163-4CFB-A7D7-71E57F161347.jpeg
    75F586B3-9163-4CFB-A7D7-71E57F161347.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

Snprhed

Reaction score
So nobody in the V-drive section has anything to say about v-drives (good or bad)?

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’m a v driver. I’ve got a 21rc, and had a 24xs. That is a huge boat for a single engine, v drive or not. It’ll depend on how well it’s rigged, for dependability. It’s not going to be fast. Even with 900 hp, it’s a ton of boat in the water. It’s gonna ride bitchen though.

Snprhed

Reaction score
Im not sure of any of this, but I think its a one off. I can not find any mention of a Carrera Syndicate except for ads for this boat. However if look at the back of a 27 cyclone the (Im not sure what they are called) trim tab equivalent chrome things look the same.

Snprhed

Reaction score
It says v-drive with a gm turbo 400 transmission

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
So nobody in the V-drive section has anything to say about v-drives (good or bad)?
You know man, there are many V drives out there. From 19 foot to 25 foot, you were asking about this Carrera. I’m sure there’s a ton of deals but nobody has never seen a Carrera V Dr... but we have all seen many other V drives to include ScHaida which is the hottest. At the end of today if you’ve never driven a v-drive with a big motor that is to say 900 hp…you’re in for a real treat. These don’t track the same as an inboard outboard definitely fucking not like a damn outboard blender motor. You need to realize you’re buying a piece of art, v-drives in those old school days are specialized most guys weren‘t looking for those. This is not a wakeboard boat, this isn‘t a family truckster, it’s unadulterated power that will kill you and everybody in it. So please… be ready for what you’re asking about, and if you don’t like this don’t get into a cyber war back-and-forth with me I’m just giving my opinion as you’ve asked form the forum. V-dives are awesome and the only way I would like to swing, I’m sure v-drive guys feel the same way. good lick with whatever buy you go for. 😎🤙🏽🇺🇸

Snprhed

Reaction score
I didnt feel like we were in any back and forth. You gave your impression and I pointed out what the ad says and a possible reason why. It was nothing more than that.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I had a conversation with Bob Teague years ago when I was building my 24xs, and he told me a little bit of how much time and money he put into that hull to try to get to 100mph. I don’t believe he was successful. A 27’ v drive single engine is not going to do 90 mph, unless on a trailer behind a dodge pickup, with the mirrors out, or an f150. Theres a few reasons why v drives are my choice of boat. I love how they ride in rough water, especially in a boat with a decent degree of angle, and steep entry on the bow. The 21 Rc is the modern trophy truck on rough water. Don’t ever ride in one, that’ll be it. You’ll be pulling a mortgage on your house. v drives are the safest boat to hang out behind weather skiing, swimming, drinking, fishing, fucking, peeing, you name it. The prop is three feet down, and two feet foreword, it’ll be a miracle to get a prop strike. another reason is you don’t have the silly looking apparatus strapped to the back in the form of an outboard. However, those ugly ass blenders with hurt your feelings big time if you try and race against them. V drives only back one way, and takes practice getting used to, like pulling out of a dock, and wanting to go the way that the boat doesn’t want to go. I usually walk mine out, and throw the nose where I want to go, then light it up and go. If you run aground with a v drive, it’s unbelievably expensive, or deadly depending how fast. Blow the strut and rudder off and out the back, will end up in a giant hole that takes your boat to Davey Jones locker. Oh yeah, depending on what prop, or the condition of your shaft or prop, they can shake like a som bitch getting up to speed. Cable steering like Morse command 2, or Calgo, you can have torque steer when you’re getting after it. Coming off the pipe at speed can get weird, you can change lanes in a hurry. Mine will prop walk coming on the pipe hard in the secondaries at 70-80, and she‘ll change lanes on you. Chine walk can get weird too if you’re not set up well, and have more engine than boat, like I got. I don’t think a 27 footer will ever come close to chine walking with out a prat and whitney jet turbine. I like a mechanical over ride for the cav plates, especially when a roller from a wave dozer is coming at you, you can punch the nose in quick, and be back carrying the nose nicely, unlike electric, that’ll take a while to come down, then back up. V driving is the equivalent of hot rodding. They are the muscle cars of boating, if you don’t like working on your own shit, don’t even think about it. You’ll get an estimate for repairs for a grand, and two week turn around, that turns into ten grand, and you’ll be lucky to launch by the end of summer. If you’re a sports car turn key guy, get a 240/ 270 Hallet, you’ll be so much happier. Hope this is the response that you wanted ;)

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
bet the guy $10K off or onto the price if it does 70... that is big boat with a lot of wet area, interesting if you make a claim for that speed but don't show a single pic of the engine or rigging. would be interesting to see what gear box and gears he is running to claim that speed...

sintax

Reaction score
I cant imagine you're going to see anything close to 90, unless the river start flowing 30mph, then your gps might show 90mph. Theres lots of 21'er cruisers with 900 hp w/o dont hit 90 or much over it.

If you're getting into that size of boat, you really want something w/ twins I think.

Snprhed

Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks. Ive decided to move on. It is an interesting boat, but reliability is key and I dont want to be wrenching a bunch to keep it on the water.

Sleek Chode

Reaction score
I had a conversation with Bob Teague years ago when I was building my 24xs, and he told me a little bit of how much time and money he put into that hull to try to get to 100mph. I don’t believe he was successful. A 27’ v drive single engine is not going to do 90 mph, unless on a trailer behind a dodge pickup, with the mirrors out, or an f150. Theres a few reasons why v drives are my choice of boat. I love how they ride in rough water, especially in a boat with a decent degree of angle, and steep entry on the bow. The 21 Rc is the modern trophy truck on rough water. Don’t ever ride in one, that’ll be it. You’ll be pulling a mortgage on your house. v drives are the safest boat to hang out behind weather skiing, swimming, drinking, fishing, fucking, peeing, you name it. The prop is three feet down, and two feet foreword, it’ll be a miracle to get a prop strike. another reason is you don’t have the silly looking apparatus strapped to the back in the form of an outboard. However, those ugly ass blenders with hurt your feelings big time if you try and race against them. V drives only back one way, and takes practice getting used to, like pulling out of a dock, and wanting to go the way that the boat doesn’t want to go. I usually walk mine out, and throw the nose where I want to go, then light it up and go. If you run aground with a v drive, it’s unbelievably expensive, or deadly depending how fast. Blow the strut and rudder off and out the back, will end up in a giant hole that takes your boat to Davey Jones locker. Oh yeah, depending on what prop, or the condition of your shaft or prop, they can shake like a som bitch getting up to speed. Cable steering like Morse command 2, or Calgo, you can have torque steer when you’re getting after it. Coming off the pipe at speed can get weird, you can change lanes in a hurry. Mine will prop walk coming on the pipe hard in the secondaries at 70-80, and she‘ll change lanes on you. Chine walk can get weird too if you’re not set up well, and have more engine than boat, like I got. I don’t think a 27 footer will ever come close to chine walking with out a prat and whitney jet turbine. I like a mechanical over ride for the cav plates, especially when a roller from a wave dozer is coming at you, you can punch the nose in quick, and be back carrying the nose nicely, unlike electric, that’ll take a while to come down, then back up. V driving is the equivalent of hot rodding. They are the muscle cars of boating, if you don’t like working on your own shit, don’t even think about it. You’ll get an estimate for repairs for a grand, and two week turn around, that turns into ten grand, and you’ll be lucky to launch by the end of summer. If you’re a sports car turn key guy, get a 240/ 270 Hallet, you’ll be so much happier. Hope this is the response that you wanted ;)
Well said…. 😎🤙🏽🍻