WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can you spot what is wrong with this boat

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
It took me a minute to find it when my buddy sent it too me
826153D2-AAB7-470B-9F7C-CEE6115D3706.jpeg

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I guess it’s called a forward facing drive I have never heard of it or even seen one before

Taboma

Reaction score
I suppose the 'All-around' white navigation light might be considered as being obstructed to the rear due to the lip on the back of the bimini. 🤔

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I've noticed more this season at the launch ramp many people go boating with thier drives up in the tow position accompanied by the fashionable front loop dock line dragging in the water and fenders out while under way.

For that specific group of boaters I'm assuming this is the new hi performance tow position drive that prevents blasting water into the air.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
There are advantages to the prop pulling instead of pushing. One is clean water for the props and the other is that tucks the props under the boat like a v drive without some of the other shortcomings of a v drive. I don't know about strength but it supposedly is kind of a best of both worlds thing.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Wahweap launch ramp last Friday the same Cobalt (but white hull) launches next to me. I am tied to the dock waiting for my trailer. Guy with his cap on backwards is the captain and he has 3 ladies in their 20's in the boat. Captain yells at his driver to drive off as he backs out. I notice his bilge is running non stop. His driver is 1/4 way up the ramp when the Captain is screaming for his driver to come back. Driver backs in water and Captain quickly drives the boat back on the trailer. The trailer is not deep enough so the bow is 3 feet from the trailer stop. The boat is rocking as a good part of it is hanging off the end of his bunks. He tell the girls to go to the bow and this stops the rocking. He sits this way on the ramp for 5 minutes as both the bilge and drain plug are flowing. He had the forward facing outdrive up but man it looked too close to the ground. Got me wondering what you do at a sandbar. Guess you have to keep your boat out pretty deep.

StevieHops

Reaction score
QUOTE="Echo Lodge, post: 3785619, member: 3329"]
Wahweap launch ramp last Friday the same Cobalt (but white hull) launches next to me. I am tied to the dock waiting for my trailer. Guy with his cap on backwards is the captain and he has 3 ladies in their 20's in the boat. Captain yells at his driver to drive off as he backs out. I notice his bilge is running non stop. His driver is 1/4 way up the ramp when the Captain is screaming for his driver to come back. Driver backs in water and Captain quickly drives the boat back on the trailer. The trailer is not deep enough so the bow is 3 feet from the trailer stop. The boat is rocking as a good part of it is hanging off the end of his bunks. He tell the girls to go to the bow and this stops the rocking. He sits this way on the ramp for 5 minutes as both the bilge and drain plug are flowing. He had the forward facing outdrive up but man it looked too close to the ground. Got me wondering what you do at a sandbar. Guess you have to keep your boat out pretty deep.
[/QUOTE]
You definitely need to be aware of your depth, there is probably 8” more of draft compare to a standard I/O and your props are going to hit first.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The propshafts will actually go down for the first 1/4 of trim up. When these things hit underwater obstructions it gets really bad really fast. I just totalled one out a few months ago that was only 2 years old. Guy hit a stump in shallow water while on plane. The back of the boat got "polevolted" and it partially ripped the transom out.

These things drive extremely nice. But the risk and cost of damage when you hit something is 3+ fold to that of a traditional sterndrive.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have been using this technology for a while in big ocean yachts with quite a bit of success. On big yachts they are called pod drives and eliminate the need for struts, shafts and rudders. They make docking much easier. Volvo, Cummins, ZF and CAT make them. I saw the same Cobalt at Powell this year and that was the first one I saw as a stern drive.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
1595954841035.png
I've been on a big Formula almost ten yrs ago with one. It is meant for big boats for the blue or large lakes. The big boats have them on a pod and can turn around to make the boat maneuver using joy sticks, like no other drive system can. It's also designed to break away [ ins loves it :p ] in case hitting something real hard, instead of ripping the bottom of the boat out. Most Cobalts are still using the conventional system,like my friend's in this picture

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Those drives are almost meant to be able to wake surf behind them.

Last edited:

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
View attachment 903583 I've been on a big Formula almost ten yrs ago with one. It is meant for big boats for the blue or large lakes. The big boats have them on a pod and can turn around to make the boat maneuver using joy sticks, like no other drive system can. It's also designed to break away [ ins loves it :p ] in case hitting something real hard, instead of ripping the bottom of the boat out. Most Cobalts are still using the conventional system,like my friend's in this picture
Where is this?.

Groper

Reaction score
I like it and get the forward facing drive but could you imagine hitting debris or something large in size and the drive catching ? 😲
Would it be a cartoon moment when the Boat stops and all its contents go flying forward including the occupants 😬

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
They have been using this technology for a while in big ocean yachts with quite a bit of success. On big yachts they are called pod drives and eliminate the need for struts, shafts and rudders. They make docking much easier. Volvo, Cummins, ZF and CAT make them. I saw the same Cobalt at Powell this year and that was the first one I saw as a stern drive.
Close but not quite. The pod drives mount on the bottom of the hull and most can rotate almost a full 360 degrees if I recall. on a multi-engine application this just about completely eliminates the need for bow thrusters.

These are meant for efficiency and and safety. By the prop being on the front of the drive it allows for very little, if any prop slip. Its also much safer as it keeps the props under the boat for wake sports and during ingress and egress of the boat from the rear. Unlike traditional V--drives where reverse steering is almost non-existent, this still turns the direction of thrust in both forward and reverse as well as allows for trimming of the boat by adjust the thrust angle, not just tabs.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
My 2018 R7 Surf. I love it. Top speed with 430 HP small block is 47mph. It goes 47 with only me and half a tank of gas. On Sunday at Powell I had 17 people in it and cruised from Friendship Cove to Rainbow and went 45mph the whole way there. That's flying for a boat that you can surf behind. Not the absolute "best" surf wave but better than some, it works and the kids love it. Yes there is a Port and Starboard ballast tank. I don't remember how much they hold. I like the drive. The boat is nimble and responsive. I will say with full load of 17 people I have to be careful carving the canyons of Powell, it leans into the corners a little too well. I hate how high it is on the trailer. I think Boatmate builds the trailer way higher than they need to be but maybe they'll adjust that after some experience.

Mine is and R7 at 27.5 feet. I think OP is an R5 which is 25.5 feet long.

IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
My 2018 R7 Surf. I love it. Top speed with 430 HP small block is 47mph. It goes 47 with only me and half a tank of gas. On Sunday at Powell I had 17 people in it and cruised from Friendship Cove to Rainbow and went 45mph the whole way there. That's flying for a boat that you can surf behind. Not the absolute "best" surf wave but better than some, it works and the kids love it. Yes there is a Port and Starboard ballast tank. I don't remember how much they hold. I like the drive. The boat is nimble and responsive. I will say with full load of 17 people I have to be careful carving the canyons of Powell, it leans into the corners a little too well. I hate how high it is on the trailer. I think Boatmate builds the trailer way higher than they need to be but maybe they'll adjust that after some experience.

View attachment 903795 View attachment 903796 View attachment 903797 View attachment 903798

Nice boat!!!

StevieHops

Reaction score

View attachment 903795 View attachment 903796 View attachment 903797 View attachment 903798

J Dunn, do you know what size props you are running? I'm hitting 42 with 50 gallons of fuel and for people in my 26" scarab with 260hp, but I'm probably 2000lbs lighter and a foot narrower.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
J Dunn, do you know what size props you are running? I'm hitting 42 with 50 gallons of fuel and for people in my 26" scarab with 260hp, but I'm probably 2000lbs lighter and a foot narrower.

I don't remember. I looked at one point but when I saw how pricey they were I realized it's not worth it for 5mph and to lose the low end.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Take some getting use to, you trim up in shallow water and tear prop off.

StevieHops

Reaction score
Props were fine but there was “extensive gear damage” according to the article. I guess they hit it while cruising at 25 knots.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Cummins Zeus pod drive

Lol, I know these as Mercruiser Zeus pods!

Not quite on the steering, both the Merc and Volvo versions have about a 90° lock to lock turning ability. The difference is that they are electronically controlled and can turn independent of eachother and with electronically activated alternating thrust, they can cause a boat to literally walk from side to side, and even turn on a dime. If any of you are familiar with Axius they operate the exact same way but are just slightly more efficient due to weight distribution and their position on the boat. Regular annual maintenance cost on them is 2-3 times that of a standard inboard setup.

The upside is easy driving and maneuverability to someone who doesn't really know how to drive a boat with multiple engines, the down side is your drivetrain goes from 2 ecms to 5+ and it's really easy to fry one of those computers and their really expensive

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
As said above, it's a unique system, designed for handling a big boat in adverse conditions. We had a 40+ boat tested with the pod system drives on the Fraser River with fast moving water in windy conditions. The auto system literally stopped the boat moving around in the water, keeping its positions dead on. Still. I wouldn't want the drive like the one this Cobalt has if you want to beach your boat in shallow waters, pulling up beaching it, the props sit deeper than the conventional drive does, no matter how high you trimmed it.. It's great for big boats in deep water.👍

wallnutz

Reaction score
I'm calling BS! Where are the pictures of said three ladies?