WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Calipers - 2020 Tahoe Popping Noise

SHEP

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Tahoe with 46xxx miles on it and the calipers started making a popping noise and low speeds when applying the brakes. Seems that this is a known issues with no real fix as they can lube them but the noise will come back in 1K miles. Seems ridiculous to spend that much money on a vehicle and have to listen to that noise every time you brake.

Anyone have experience with this and have a remedy? Wonder if I get them replaced if that will stop the noise as it drives me nuts hearing it.

Thanks,

SHEP

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Tahoe with 46xxx miles on it and the calipers started making a popping noise and low speeds when applying the brakes. Seems that this is a known issues with no real fix as they can lube them but the noise will come back in 1K miles. Seems ridiculous to spend that much money on a vehicle and have to listen to that noise every time you brake.

Anyone have experience with this and have a remedy? Wonder if I get them replaced if that will stop the noise as it drives me nuts hearing it.

Thanks,

SHEP
I think @lbhsbz is the resident caliper guy here. maybe has an idea. i had 2020 silverado and never noticed a noise when braking.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
This should be the last year of the old brake system that they've been using since 2005....simple 2 piston floating caliper. There was also a GM factory brembo 6 piston upgrade....which do you have?

Elaborate on the noise....Is it just one pop when you apply the brakes? If you get off the pedal and get back on it do you hear the pop the second time? Under what specific circumstances can you duplicate the noise?

SHEP

Reaction score
This should be the last year of the old brake system that they've been using since 2005....simple 2 piston floating caliper. There was also a GM factory brembo 6 piston upgrade....which do you have?

Elaborate on the noise....Is it just one pop when you apply the brakes? If you get off the pedal and get back on it do you hear the pop the second time? Under what specific circumstances can you duplicate the noise?

I'm not sure which model they are. Is there a way to look that up?

It's not just one pop but several popping/creaking noises when applying the brakes at low speeds. (drive through, parking, etc.) If I let off and reapply the noise happens again. Actually happens every time I apply the brake at lower speeds.

Is replacing the calipers an option?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I'm not sure which model they are. Is there a way to look that up?

It's not just one pop but several popping/creaking noises when applying the brakes at low speeds. (drive through, parking, etc.) If I let off and reapply the noise happens again. Actually happens every time I apply the brake at lower speeds.

Is replacing the calipers an option?
Snap a picture through the wheel.

SHEP

Reaction score
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Can you duplicate the noise by applying the brakes with varying levels of pressure while the vehicle is stopped? Does it do when you're going in a straight line or only when turning?

That is a basic 2 piston floating caliper that's been in use for 15 years with no real history of any sort of problems like you describe.

Any idea what they lube when you bring it in? When did the problem start? Did it coincide with any service work or modifications? Factory or aftermarket wheels?

SHEP

Reaction score
When it's stopped it doesn't make the noise, only at low speeds going straight or turning. Just starting a few weeks ago and no service has been done recently except an oil change a few months ago.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Loosen the lug nuts and retorque them to 130ft/lbs….see if that helps.

It’s not a caliper issue…the caliper doesn’t know if the truck is moving or stopped. It’s a clamp issue between the hub/rotor/wheel.

We’ve seen this on 2 piece rotors and even co-cast rotors (aluminum hats radially pinned to the iron disc)…and while I can’t come up with a single reason why, GM put out a bulletin on at least a Cadillac CTS-V (IIRC) to increase lug nut torque and the issue went away. M12 studs shouldn’t use that much torque, but people hit ‘em with impacts every day and they don’t break….its well within the “safe” range…

Last edited:

SHEP

Reaction score
I reset the lugs as you suggested but still getting the noise. If I put it in drive with the brakes applied then slightly pull back on the brakes, car is at a standstill while doing this, and reapply it will make the noise, even though the car isn't moving. If I am in park it doesn't make the noise as often, sometimes not at all. Still makes the noise at lower speeds also.

Would changing out the caliper assembly fix it? If I do that, would I need to do a entire brake pads and rotors?

Thanks for the help btw, don't think I thanked you yet. I appreciate it.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
As we discussed (for other people reading this)...I think this is a pad issue. He's gonna try a different compound pad and see what happens.

DaveH

Reaction score
there is a long history of this. my 08 2500hd rattles like crazy going over bumps etc unless on the brakes.

you can search GM/chevy forums and there are lots of people experiencing this. seem like new OEM brake pads resolves it.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
there is a long history of this. my 08 2500hd rattles like crazy going over bumps etc unless on the brakes.

you can search GM/chevy forums and there are lots of people experiencing this. seem like new OEM brake pads resolves it.
Completely different issue and different brake system.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Would it be related to the 2016-era Yukon that the front cross member pops doing lower speed turns and going over speed bumps?

I have to have my front cross member retorqued occasionally because it starts doing it more as I drive it.

As for the brakes, I've had the mechanic tell me to get my brakes slides lubed to help with uneven pad wear from inside to outside pads on the calipers.

I like this model year but quite a few odd issues with them that are wellk known.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Thanks,

SHEP

Wilwoods

Rennsport

Reaction score
feels like this noise from something loose like mentioned above a subframe component or worn ball joint / loose lower control arm. Noise when brake torque is applied through the system.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
As we discussed (for other people reading this)...I think this is a pad issue. He's gonna try a different compound pad and see what happens.

I agree with you.. I did a little digging on the interweb, I read that many times (popping) noises were eliminated by changing the pads.

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe and was hearing a similar noise in drive through lines with window down when applying and letting off the brakes. Had brakes replaced with new GM factory rotors/pads and it went away and haven't had it since.

Recently had another issue with the front end. In parking lots at slow speeds or pulling in and out of parking places I was hearing a popping noise. Took into my mechanic and he found the upper control arm slightly loose. He retorqued and the issue went away. I believe this was caused by the moron who did the alignment forgetting to torque the control arm.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Start with properly installed factory brake pads and see what happens.

Brakes make noise. sometimes they squeak, sometimes you can feel the pads shifting against the springs...

If they have been inspected and work properly just turn up the radio.