WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Delta

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score
I've never been and hear a lot of good things about boating up there.

Thinking of doing a trip up there this summer. Any recommendations of where to go, stay or what to avoid?

Thanks

milkmoney

Reaction score
I've never been and hear a lot of good things about boating up there.

Thinking of doing a trip up there this summer. Any recommendations of where to go, stay or what to avoid?

Thanks

this is what i would do--- go over to pb and go into the delta lunch bunch section and ask all ur ?'s. those guys all baot and live up there. i think grads, rogerthat99 and someone else arefrom that area that are on here..:thumbsup

HBCraig

Reaction score
We take the motorhomes and stay/launch out of Isleton. I would ask the norcal crew their take though.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Good advice there

this is what i would do--- go over to pb and go into the delta lunch bunch section and ask all ur ?'s. those guys all baot and live up there. i think grads, rogerthat99 and someone else arefrom that area that are on here..:thumbsup

I think I have heard of this place once or twice ;)

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
I've been there for the Big Cat Poker Run. And i will tell you to make sure you have someone to show you around in the Delta's if you don't want to get LOSE. P.S. Keep an eye on you sea strainer, water psi./temp there is alot of weeds in the water.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
GPS in the boat :thumbsup

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't go to the Delta that often, but it is a great place to hit the water. Tower Park is a good place to start. Your best bet is to post in the DLB section on PB. Some of the Delta boaters on RDP that come to mind are Hullshot, DeltaRat, NapaNut, NicePair.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Tower park is a nice big resort with a lot of RV spots but it's on the other side of the levee so can't see water from camp sites. We stayed at Windmill cove a couple weekends ago. It's more on the water. Nice bar over looking the river. They have a few cabins.
Oh and hand held GPS has helped me a lot out there.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Just take a GPS. You should be fine. They also sell Delta maps at West Marine. Most of the Delta has full cell srrvice too.

All you need to know is where the bars are located. ;). I think we can handle that. :p

I live within 50 miles of the delta. So does Napanut. If you got questions ask away....

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score
Cool, so i want to make a long weekend trip in Aug or July. Want to stay on the water with the boat in a slip if possible, no RV though. What would be the best or most central place (tower park and Windmill look cool)?

Also what are the must see bars/restaurants?

Anything I have to see?

Any riverboats/gambling?

Biggest things to be careful about? (getting lost seems one, GPS a given)

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Cool, so i want to make a long weekend trip in Aug or July. Want to stay on the water with the boat in a slip if possible, no RV though. What would be the best or most central place (tower park and Windmill look cool)?

Also what are the must see bars/restaurants?

Anything I have to see?

Any riverboats/gambling?

Biggest things to be careful about? (getting lost seems one, GPS a given)

Thanks guys.

Stay at Windmill COve because it is on the water and Kinda Central.
Must Do's
As Soon as you get there BUY A MAP
1-Drink alot ( watch for Leos ) They will be in the Deep Water Channel around Lost ISle and Fourteen Mile Slough
2-If a Leo has someone pulled over you Must pass them at Wakeless Speed or they will get You Too.
3-Go to Lost Isle and Drink a Mai Tai
4-Sugar Barge-Cool Upstairs Bar
5-Discovery Bay-Cool Bar and House Looking
6-Tower Park-Drink a TowerTini
7-Garlic Brothers at Village West Marina-Awesome Bar and Food
8-Spindrifts-Cool Bar
9- RIverboat Marina-More Drinks
10-Lighthouse-Another Drink
Most of all-Enjoy the adventure as it is one of the Coolest Places to Boat.
BTW-If you haven't noticed yet, you really don't need much of an Ice Chest as there are ALOT of places to Stop.
Most importantly-Take you wallet ( Because your gonna burn some fuel ) and buy your Gas before 3PM as alot of the Gas Docks Close Earlier than you would think.
:thumbsup

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I live in Sacramento and end up in the delta off and on. One last thing to think about is to watch out for the big boats. I do not mean the the 30 somthing foot cats. I mean the 50+ footers. The wake they throw can be in excess of 3'. I think a few of them find sinking small boats entertaining.

Overall a great place though.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I bought my Ultra from a guy in Walnut Creek that used to boat on the Delta. He sent me a lot of pics of the boat that he took on the Delta. Looks like a really cool place!

Here's one that I have

Attachments

• 427095_316006258445416_100001081321246_890274_438613025_n.jpg
    427095_316006258445416_100001081321246_890274_438613025_n.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 233

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Must Do's
1-Drink alot ( watch for Leos ) They will be in the Deep Water Channel around Lost ISle and Fourteen Mile Slough
2-If a Leo has someone pulled over you Must pass them at Wakeless Speed or they will get You Too.
8-Spindrifts-Cool Bar
BTW-If you haven't noticed yet, you really don't need much of an Ice Chest as there are ALOT of places to Stop.
Most importantly-Take you wallet ( Because your gonna burn some fuel ) and buy your Gas before 3PM as alot of the Gas Docks Close Earlier than you would think.

Jesus H Christ Jeff, Your quite the barfly :p

renodaytona

Reaction score
I bought my Ultra from a guy in Walnut Creek that used to boat on the Delta. He sent me a lot of pics of the boat that he took on the Delta. Looks like a really cool place!

Here's one that I have

That pic looks like Lake Shasta...

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score

My kind of itinerary! Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the one trip a year my girlfriend is gonna get the privilege of driving me around for a change! :)

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score
Can you boat all the way to Sacramento? Would it be too far or even worth it?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Can you boat all the way to Sacramento? Would it be too far or even worth it?

You can boat all the way to Sac, but it is a long haul with all the 5MPH zones. Definitely watch out for the big cruisers. I have come across 3-5 of them in formation traveling together...all throwing out 3' rollers. It can be hairy getting over all of them. Have Fun!!

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
NGE first pic is definitely Shasta, second looks like the Delta.

Sts if you are coming this far north, Shasta is a consideration, too.
It is a very nice lake.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I think Instigator pretty much covered it.:thumbsup

Ditto. :D

Must Do's
8-Spindrifts-Cool Bar

As everyone said, just watch out for Large river cruisers, especially if they are in full water "plow" mode.:D We call them Delta Destroyers. :p Just slow down a bit when passing them and look for their wakes, then you should have no trouble.

Do get the Delta map from West Marine and use that with your GPS. It has the depths on the map so you can plan where to go and where to avoid. I have several photo copies in my boat. The only problem is that map doesn't show the locations of the bars. But you can google them (full cell service all over ;)) and find your way.

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Actually that is like the standard river trip for some of these guys. They try to hit them all in one day. :bowdown::champagne:

They like to burn gas.:p

Check out the DLB at PB.com and look at some of their trips. They don't post their intinerary anymore but they like to hit a minimum of 5-6 bars in one day. And they are not next to each other either. They tend to pick the one that is the farthest away from the one they are at. Half the fun in blasting to the next stop.

I carry extra gas cards with me for those trips. :D

Picture 40+ high performance boats blasting full speed in line to the next stop. Good times. :thumbsup I think the fisherman want to kill us. :cool:

I tend not to drink on these trips because I know the hot lap to the next stop is coming....

wildone

You're a member.
Reaction score
Go on vacation retal by owner and get a place in discovery bay. we have done dozens of trips up there. its the best place on the delta. nothing like skiing up there. you will be in aww of some of the homes on the water and the toys you see. plenty of condos and smaller places to rent with docks, pool hot tubs ect... at pretty reasonable prices as well.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Stay in Discovery Bay, go to the big cat poker run..

Good times!

Attachments

• 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_0020small.JPG
    100_0020small.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_0041small.JPG
    100_0041small.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0044small.JPG
    100_0044small.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 163

daveb1

Reaction score
i lived in fremont for years and we went to discovery bay almost every weekend in the summer. it is a great place to launch and you can cruise around the delta endlessly. although we live in socal now, we still make the trek to the delta a couple of times a year during the boating season. i just hope that the hyacinth weed level is down from last year.

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like renting a place in discovery bay is the ticket.

Pushnwood

Reaction score
Must Do's
8-Spindrifts-Cool Bar

What about Wimpy's? Not sure if it's still there, it's ben a long time since I have ben to the delta. When I was a kid we would do a week houseboat trip, the parents would be in the bar & us kids were jumping off the bridge near Wimpy's and float back to the houseboat tied up to the dock. Watch out for water snakes!:D

Reaction score
What about Wimpy's? Not sure if it's still there, it's ben a long time since I have ben to the delta. When I was a kid we would do a week houseboat trip, the parents would be in the bar & us kids were jumping off the bridge near Wimpy's and float back to the houseboat tied up to the dock. Watch out for water snakes!:D

Wimpys is still there, just has really bad current especially if the lock is open, and its extremely narrow getting there. Oh and yes you can go all the way to Frisco too from there and hey maybe go catch a home run ball in McCovey cove!!!:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
To clairify: Grads never ever boats on the delta, he is scared:D

There is not a lot of weeds in the water, only going through Franks Track which is where a levy once broke long long ago and flooded a farm, its one big body of water, I call it the lake of the Delta (cause ya the delta has it ALL) The overal boating is just unreal, hey I mean come on, why else did Bob Teague get a house in Discovery Bay!!!:champagne:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Discovery bay is nice. Probably the best out there. If you can rent a place there that would be the way to go

Looks like renting a place in discovery bay is the ticket.

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
To clairify: Grads never ever boats on the delta, he is scared:D

Easy now. I don't go to the Delta because I like to swim and that water is gross with all the shit floating in it. The bars are cool but not worth the hour drive for me when I have good clean water 5 minutes away at Folsom Lake. Oh BTW, if it wasn't for Folsom you'd be boating in salt water.;)

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Ya. Folsom is great. If you like cops and ever shrinking lake size until you end up with a mud puddle in July.;)

Other than that, you are correct. :p

Easy now. I don't go to the Delta because I like to swim and that water is gross with all the shit floating in it. The bars are cool but not worth the hour drive for me when I have good clean water 5 minutes away at Folsom Lake. Oh BTW, if it wasn't for Folsom you'd be boating in salt water.;)

LuauLounge

Reaction score
The issue with Folsom is that the main lake is 3 miles wide and 3 miles long.
The forks are another 5 or so miles long.

The Delta literally has thousands of miles of waterway. The scale on the map is 60 miles wide by 40 miles high.

Attachments

• sacramento-delta-map[1].jpg
    sacramento-delta-map[1].jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 77
Reaction score

You know im messin with you buddy:D, hey Ive been swimming in that delta for years, no problems yet, and no I still believe thanks to the American river we would still have fresh water.