WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cajon Pass History

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
I love history videos like this. Thanks for posting!

I recently found a series of the history of the 395

outboardrick

Reaction score
Cool Video! I lived in that area for 35ish years, went to High School with Cecil Stevens' (who owns/owned the Summit Inn) kids. I remember traveling the road from San Bernardino to Hesperia before I15 was completed. Ya, I'm old :(

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Rode my YZ 125 all over that area.
Summit Inn was 15 minutes from my house, gassed up at the Chevron all the time. Used to ride to the scales and around Clehhorn area too.

Cool video, at first I thought it would be Huell Houser. :p

Dan'l

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I have spent 41 years in Phelan and have hiked, dirt biked or 4 wheeled almost every trail out here. My mom worked at the restaurant off the 15 fwy and 138 for many years until it was torn down. Thanks for the history video.

C-2

Reaction score
I love history videos like this. Thanks for posting!

I recently found a series of the history of the 395

Me too, I'm a local history buff and know everything there is to know about our local neighborhood. most people can care less, including wifey, but I enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing.

C-2

Reaction score
Thought this was pretty interesting. Too bad the Summit Inn burned down a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing :)

BadPoor313

Reaction score
Cool video never new about the old trail. A couple years ago I worked for the post office and my GPS took me down Summit Truck Trail which is just east of the road in the video. Makes the road in the video look like a kiddie trail. That day I did shit with the post office truck that I would hesitate to do in my 4x4. Made it down but didn't have the balls to try to go back so end up going up the 15 instead. I did get the truck stuck in sand one day but otherwise you can really mob those things.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I’m glad everybody’s learning something today. I love history especially local history concerning the southwest. I’ve stopped at that Chevron/McDonalds off the 15 and 138 about 1,000 times and never knew about the original route before the highway or 66.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Cool video, crazy they had a toll road way back then

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Cool video, crazy they had a toll road way back then

Many roads back then were toll as they traversed private land. The tolls were probably far less than your gas and registration taxes today lol :p

I always take 138 to Arrowhead, before the Ranchero exit was put in i would get off the 15 at the 138 halfway down Cajon, But now i go out Ranchero Rd to Summit Valley Rd and then hit the 138.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Everything is “toll” now in California

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I have spent 41 years in Phelan and have hiked, dirt biked or 4 wheeled almost every trail out here. My mom worked at the restaurant off the 15 fwy and 138 for many years until it was torn down. Thanks for the history video.

Tiffany's restaurant?

Used to have dinner there after boating on Silverwood, and head home to Artesia.
'77 or '78? A few years ago...

Dan'l

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Tiffany's restaurant?

Used to have dinner there after boating on Silverwood, and head home to Artesia.

Dan'l

We moved to Phelan in 1978, my mom didn't work there until a handful of years before it closed. I worked at Silverwood lake for a couple summers while I was in High School as a Dock Boy and a little bit in the 2 different fast food type places they had.

79howard

Reaction score
We call it the “Reality Ramp.” When you come home from Havasu and half to got back to work, you are coming back to reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zeke27G

Reaction score
Tiffany's restaurant?

Dan'l

We used to stop there on our way to El Mirage in the late 80's when I was a kid, I remember it being sort of rustic cabin style place, with stained glass windows or maybe it was lamp shades and the waitresses were older ladies who were sweet and a bit sassy. Being winter time, my folks would have me in a sweater to go riding, and I'd always find a way to get a big ol' drip of pancake syrup on it. I'd love to see a photo of that place, there seems to be absolutely nothing on the interwebs, and I know cause I've searched and searched over the years. It's like a ghost, can't even find an old book of matches from that place on eBay. It was located on Wagon Train Rd across from the McDonald's and I've always thought that Tiffany's demise was due to the building of that McDonald's location, so years ago I made a vow to never eat at that location, not that I eat that garbage anyhow. If any of you have a better memory of Tiffany's, including the year it was built, or know why they closed, or better yet, a photo or two, please do share!

timstoy

Reaction score
Stopped at the Summit Inn and the Outpost for breakfast many times on the way to Deadman’s Point to go riding when I was a kid.

yz450mm

Reaction score
We used to stop there on our way to El Mirage in the late 80's when I was a kid, I remember it being sort of rustic cabin style place, with stained glass windows or maybe it was lamp shades and the waitresses were older ladies who were sweet and a bit sassy. Being winter time, my folks would have me in a sweater to go riding, and I'd always find a way to get a big ol' drip of pancake syrup on it. I'd love to see a photo of that place, there seems to be absolutely nothing on the interwebs, and I know cause I've searched and searched over the years. It's like a ghost, can't even find an old book of matches from that place on eBay. It was located on Wagon Train Rd across from the McDonald's and I've always thought that Tiffany's demise was due to the building of that McDonald's location, so years ago I made a vow to never eat at that location, not that I eat that garbage anyhow. If any of you have a better memory of Tiffany's, including the year it was built, or know why they closed, or better yet, a photo or two, please do share!
We were on a fire in the pass back in 2001
ish, I remember seeing the closed restaurant off to the north of that road when we pulled into the gas station for fuel and snacks. It was closed, but didn't look totally abandoned at that point.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I moved to Hesperia in 1987, I lived f of C street, when ever it snowed and the freeway could be stopped on pass, I would roll my Toyota tercel down the dirt road that exited next to silverwood general store onto 138 to and from my house, guess it was 3-4 miles. Nothing like roiling down a dirt road, sideways in every turn at 5am and giving the toyota all it had.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I moved to Hesperia in 1987, I lived f of C street, when ever it snowed and the freeway could be stopped on pass, I would roll my Toyota tercel down the dirt road that exited next to silverwood general store onto 138 to and from my house, guess it was 3-4 miles. Nothing like roiling down a dirt road, sideways in every turn at 5am and giving the toyota all it had.
They’ve since paved that road and it’s backed up for miles every morning.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
DAM! Use to be just me and the bushes.
My wife's daily drive, and there's 3 miles of the same behind her. All waiting their turn at the stop sign where cross traffic does not stop.
1667498802542.jpeg

Yeah it’s a shit show now. Lots of head on accidents.

I drove that road 4 times a week from 2008-2012
Oh, they fixed the head on situation. They made it a double yellow line the whole way just last week. I'm sure that will put a stop to it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My wife's daily drive, and there's 3 miles of the same behind her. All waiting their turn at the stop sign where cross traffic does not stop.
View attachment 1168956

Oh, they fixed the head on situation. They made it a double yellow line the whole way just last week. I'm sure that will put a stop to it.
I know that spot well lol.

DBL yellow don’t mean shit🤣

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I know that spot well lol.

DBL yellow don’t mean shit🤣
Especially considering it was already a double yellow on the blind curves where the head ons are happening. People are stupid. I go down that way in the afternoon and do Ranchero coming home at night.

boatnam2

Reaction score
View attachment 1168956

Thats crazy! i use to roll down that after 16 hours nightshift full tilt, not even see a coyote,

boatnam2

Reaction score
I feel for the people that bought houses out there 30 years ago.
I lived on Cactus and C, the whole block got washed away in rain, every house was gone except mine, google mapped it the other day, still empty field. Knd of reminds me of some the houses built in Havasu on washes, i learned my lesson.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
I lived on Cactus and C, the whole block got washed away in rain, every house was gone except mine, google mapped it the other day, still empty field. Knd of reminds me of some the houses built in Havasu on washes, i learned my lesson.
I remember seeing those images on TV shortly before A moved to the high desert. Then a few years later I move right up the street from that. I’m about half a block from that location. The very back edge of my backyard has a massive drain pipe under it to handle the storm water if we get those kinds of rains again. I saw pictures of it being put in and you couldn’t even see the crane because it was so deep.

outboardrick

Reaction score
View attachment 1168956

This isn't familiar to me, but it's been a while since I lived there. Where exactly is this, the only road I remember was the dirt road through Honda Valley?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
This isn't familiar to me, but it's been a while since I lived there. Where exactly is this, the only road I remember was the dirt road through Honda Valley?

That is the road. It is called Summit Valley Road. This is just after it would’ve turned into pavement back in the old days right before the fire station.

outboardrick

Reaction score
That is the road. It is called Summit Valley Road. This is just after it would’ve turned into pavement back in the old days right before the fire station.
Ok, or on the road to Silverwood. But not the dirt road through Honda Valley, from the Hesperia airport to Hwy 138?

boatnam2

Reaction score
I remember seeing those images on TV shortly before A moved to the high desert. Then a few years later I move right up the street from that. I’m about half a block from that location. The very back edge of my backyard has a massive drain pipe under it to handle the storm water if we get those kinds of rains again. I saw pictures of it being put in and you couldn’t even see the crane because it was so deep.P
Its was pretty crazy, had conan nolan in my front yard a few times, my spot got saved since my neighbor had a backjoe and keep water from spreading out, i was the pie shaped lot right at street. When i bought house it was maybe 4-6ft little river bed, probably 40-50ft in some spots after a few down pours, at one point before all the houses got washed away i could walked onto my neighbors rooftop from sand build up. quite a sight to see a house get washed away.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
About a mile or so north of that intersection.
Funny, but I know it for coming home from Havasu. I tried it a couple of times on a Sunday night. Gave up on that plan!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Tiffany’s! We used to stop there for breakfast when we used to go dirt bike riding before Phalen was built up, and in fact we rode our motorcycles on the track at Serrano High before the school was opened. We’d also stop there when we rode at El Mirage and went snow skiing at Mountain High back in the day. One time my friend found a pincher bug in his hash browns and that was it, no more Tiffany’s.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Funny, but I know it for coming home from Havasu. I tried it a couple of times on a Sunday night. Gave up on that plan!
You can thank Waze, Google maps, etc. for that. No more secret back roads for anyone.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I use to get up Sunday morning, tell my old lady i was going for a dirt bike ride, jam across Honda valley to bar next to fishing pound back way to silverwood, pound a few pitchers, watch some football and ride dirt bike back, she thought i was out riding my ass off.