WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bonneville live feed

Taboma

Reaction score
If you can't call it a "heavily modified flat head, with Ardun heads" - What CAN you call it?

Lol
If we could only find our way beyond the "What" and be enlightened on the "Why" 😁 For the nostalgic value, or to qualify for that particular class, or ? or ?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
If we could only find our way beyond the "What" and be enlightened on the "Why" 😁 For the nostalgic value, or to qualify for that particular class, or ? or ?

Its the epitomy of nostolgic flathead technology, but it converts the engine to OHV.

I'm GUESSING purists get upset when these run in a flathead class, even if the class allows for modifications. The whole premise of a flathead is that the valves are in the block, and the head is...well....flat! These change the entire architecture of the engine to an OHV design, leaving only the block and rotating assembly as flathead components.

Sexy as hell though!

1723819067760.png
1723819107358.png

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Its the epitomy of nostolgic flathead technology, but it converts the engine to OHV.

I'm GUESSING purists get upset when these run in a flathead class, even if the class allows for modifications. The whole premise of a flathead is that the valves are in the block, and the head is...well....flat! These change the entire architecture of the engine to an OHV design, leaving only the block and rotating assembly as flathead components.

Sexy as hell though!

View attachment 1417504 View attachment 1417505
I was raised in the world of working on 6 cylinder flathead marine engines and as dad used to say "If you want to water ski next summer, you best get on with lapping those valves son" 😁

By the looks of it, it seems to also offer a "Hemi-Head" bastardization as well. :eek:🤣

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Sexy as hell though!

View attachment 1417504 View attachment 1417505
Well here’s the deal.
It’s why the class is called XXF/ , and not F/ .
Further explanation would be, you are still limited to the flathead shortcomings. Three main bearings, limited stroke and bore, etc.. Can’t see any reason why 80 year old technology should have to run with a 302 Chevy, or Cleveland 302 ford Unless you just wanted to kill the class. Even though they’re both OHV.
It’s Part of the reason there’s a flathead powered Pinto.
In Land speed racing there is a class for just about anything.
How big is the engine? What type of engine? What type of fuel? What type of body is it going in? Is the body modified? Modified only in front of the firewall? Or modify overall?
That’s why it’s the last form of racing where an amateur can compete.
Does that about cover it?
That’s why this;
IMG_2119.jpeg

Will be running the same weekend as this
IMG_0929.jpeg

Next question; “But It’s not really racing…”🙃

Last edited:
Reactions: TBI

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Well here’s the deal.
It’s why the class is called XXF/ , and not F/ .
Further explanation would be, you are still limited to the flathead shortcomings. Three main bearings, limited stroke and bore, etc.. Can’t see any reason why 80 year old technology should have to run with a 302 Chevy, or Cleveland 302 ford Unless you just wanted to kill the class. Even though they’re both OHV.
It’s Part of the reason there’s a flathead powered Pinto.
In Land speed racing there is a class for just about anything.
How big is the engine? What type of engine? What type of fuel? What type of body is it going in? Is the body modified? Modified only in front of the firewall? Or modify overall?
That’s why it’s the last form of racing where an amateur can compete.
Does that about cover it?
That’s why this;
View attachment 1418548
Will be running the same weekend as this View attachment 1418549

Next question; “But It’s not really racing…”🙃
Haha, exactly!

I love listening to your group's stories and info when we are camping, the land speed guys have some serious cojones and understanding of physics

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Haha, exactly!

I love listening to your group's stories and info when we are camping, the land speed guys have some serious cojones and understanding of physics
Ya they do. Year before there was some serious speed there. 312 Petie and Rick Yacouchi been over 4.
Last year your group was more fun.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wrigley Field, Mt Rushmore, Glamis, Big Helen at Sherries Cherry Patch Ranch,, Bonneville and other places should be on every persons must see list.

• Haha

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I really love the movie “The World’s Fastest Indian” when he gets to Bonneville and how the veteran racers took Burt Munro under their wing to get the officials to allow him to race.

rrrr

Reaction score
Wrigley Field, Mt Rushmore, Glamis, Big Helen at Sherries Cherry Patch Ranch,, Bonneville and other places should be on every persons must see list.
I haven't been to Glamis.

😁

• Haha

poncho

Reaction score
I really love the movie “The World’s Fastest Indian” when he gets to Bonneville and how the veteran racers took Burt Munro under their wing to get the officials to allow him to race.
In my top 3 all time favorite movies. 👍 👍 👍