WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat trailer brake issue. Any ideas?

Dettom

Reaction score
This morning I had all new tires put on the boat trailer. As I'm heading home, I had to do a hard stop or I would've blown a light. As I took off, I noticed I was having a little trouble than usual building up speed. So I when I get back to the house, I noticed smoke coming from both front trailer tires. I knew I didn't fry a bearing and the spindles weren't hot. My brakes hubs however, were hot. Really hot.

So it looks like my front brakes engaged but didn't disengage when I started moving again. BTW they're surge brakes, drums on all four. Any ideas on how I get them unstuck? I'm gonna try and pull the front hubs and see how much damage is done. I did a couple little brake taps forward and backward before putting it in the garage just to see if that worked.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Do a complete brake job.
That's what I did with our drum brake trailers.

I order disc brakes on our trailers now.
Seem to have less issues.

If the drums lock up on the road you'll quickly blow tires.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
And switch to disc while you're at it ! I've had my Extreme trailer for 11 years now , oil bath hubs and disc brakes , tow to Havasu at least 5 times a year and , knock on wood ,
zero issues with the trailer ...

Dettom

Reaction score
Do a complete brake job.
That's what I did with our drum brake trailers.

I order disc brakes on our trailers now.
Seem to have less issues.

If the drums lock up on the road you'll quickly blow tires.

Copy. Spend more money. But I know you can't go cheap on stuff like brakes.

DaveH

Reaction score
if money is tight...you could get buy with as little as replacing the cylinders in the front drums...probably less than $20ea.

but for about $75 a wheel...just replace the whole backing plate assembly..........no big deal. drums work fine, they aren't as "cool" as disks.....but yeah...I would just do a complete replacement of all four backing plate assemblies and forget about it......would also recommend a complete replacement of your fluid.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Surge brakes suck. I've converted a couple of my boat trailers to electric brakes. Never looked back. I've never had any issues with water. Just unplug before going I the water. Had it this way for easy 15 years. I weld up the coupler so it can't move and replaces the drum and hub assembly with electric and run the power wire back.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Another vote for switching to discs. There are so many moving parts inside the drums, they should never be on a boat trailer. Even in fresh water, it traps water in there and seizes everything up.

Reaction score
Depending on which surge brake type you have, there is a release somewhere. Mine is on top.

I've been running drum brakes for 30 years and never a problem, but I don't tow in hill country.

Dettom

Reaction score
Depending on which surge brake type you have, there is a release somewhere. Mine is on top.

I've been running drum brakes for 30 years and never a problem, but I don't tow in hill country.

I broke loose the line going into the backing plate. There should be no pressure on shoes now but I can hardly budge it with a breaker bar. Gonna take a ride over to Adrenaline and pick their brains., Just want to get them unstuck. Don't want to miss the street party or raft up tomorrow.. Dammit.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
the slave cylinders are notorious for rusting up and freezing up etc.. I would check those. They most likely are jammed up. Replace for about 20 bucks each...

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have one slave cylinder here in my garage you come get should be what you need

shunter2005

Reaction score
I broke loose the line going into the backing plate. There should be no pressure on shoes now but I can hardly budge it with a breaker bar. Gonna take a ride over to Adrenaline and pick their brains., Just want to get them unstuck. Don't want to miss the street party or raft up tomorrow.. Dammit.

Have you tried to back it off at the adjustment wheel with a brake tool or screwdriver? If it's tight, you should only be able to move it one way to loosen, If it will move at all. In the old days, we use to hit the side of the drum with a big hammer to get tight drums off. Might be able to get it to budge enough to get the drum off. If you can get it release a little, you can work it back and forth to get it off.

Disc brakes are better, but drum brakes when properly working are ok. If you decide to go back with drum, new assemblies will run you about $40-$50 per wheel. Disc will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $125 per wheel (Kodiak). If you are freshwater only, electric would be an easy change if you are going with new assemblies anyway. Etrailer has electric brake assemblies discounted for $28.95 each for 10? ($38.95 for 12?) right now.

Dettom

Reaction score
Have you tried to back it off at the adjustment wheel with a brake tool or screwdriver? If it's tight, you should only be able to move it one way to loosen, If it will move at all. In the old days, we use to hit the side of the drum with a big hammer to get tight drums off. Might be able to get it to budge enough to get the drum off. If you can get it release a little, you can work it back and forth to get it off.

Disc brakes are better, but drum brakes when properly working are ok. If you decide to go back with drum, new assemblies will run you about $40-$50 per wheel. Disc will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $125 per wheel (Kodiak). If you are freshwater only, electric would be an easy change if you are going with new assemblies anyway. Etrailer has electric brake assemblies discounted for $28.95 each for 10? ($38.95 for 12?) right now.

Well I went over and talked to Frank at Adrenaline. He's always very helpful. He told me to back off the adjuster wheel too which I did and that freed them up. I also pulled them off and checked the bearings. They're ok but for the 60.00 each for the whole new backing plate assembly, that's the ticket. I just don't have time this weekend but I'll get back next week and do that. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm headed to the Street Fair.:)

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well I went over and talked to Frank at Adrenaline. He's always very helpful. He told me to back off the adjuster wheel too which I did and that freed them up. I also pulled them off and checked the bearings. They're ok but for the 60.00 each for the whole new backing plate assembly, that's the ticket. I just don't have time this weekend but I'll get back next week and do that. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm headed to the Street Fair.:)
Be sure to get free backing brake assemblies. No worries then.

jack14r

Reaction score
Also be sure to grease the zerk on the tongue,the tongue might have stuck after you braked hard.