WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Stereo......

linus3

Reaction score
Plugged in my new IPod to the exterior cable (not the Aux.) and the face plate displays "not recognized". Plug in my wife and kids old IPod and its good to go. What do I need to do to have my "newer" stereo talk to my "new" IPod. Thanks in advanced...... :thumbsup

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Plugged in my new IPod to the exterior cable (not the Aux.) and the face plate displays "not recognized". Plug in my wife and kids old IPod and its good to go. What do I need to do to have my "newer" stereo talk to my "new" IPod. Thanks in advanced...... :thumbsup

Is this a newer Ipod? The newer ones are 5 volts and the older ones are 12 volts. You can get a converter plug.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
sounds like firmware in the radio needs to be upgraded, if it even can. when you plug in the ipod theres a handshake that happens.

radio: "someting got plugged into me..."
ipod: "OH HAI I AM AN IPOD VERSION 2.6338582.5325"
radio: "i dunno wtf 2.6 is, i only know up to 2.3 cause thats the latest that was out when i was made... im gonna display an error"

your best bet is to contact the manufacturer, they might be able to have you send it in for an upgrade or you might be stuck buying a newer unit to work with your newer ipod. i have the same error when plugging an iPAD into my alpine radio and my gf's mini cooper. it doesnt know wtf an ipad is, and there is no upgrade.

or if u have an amp, screw the radio and use some headphone to RCA adapter to plug directly into the amp.

Last edited:

Back2k5

Mind over Member
Reaction score
sounds like firmware in the radio needs to be upgraded, if it even can. when you plug in the ipod theres a handshake that happens.

radio: "someting got plugged into me..."
ipod: "OH HAI I AM AN IPOD VERSION 2.6338582.5325"
radio: "i dunno wtf 2.6 is, i only know up to 2.3 cause thats the latest that was out when i was made... im gonna display an error"

your best bet is to contact the manufacturer, they might be able to have you send it in for an upgrade or you might be stuck buying a newer unit to work with your newer ipod. i have the same error when plugging an iPAD into my alpine radio and my gf's mini cooper. it doesnt know wtf an ipad is, and there is no upgrade.

or if u have an amp, screw the radio and use some headphone to RCA adapter to plug directly into the amp.

:D Nice

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Mine did the same exact thing, bought my wife a new ipod last christmas, gives me the same message, plug in my old ipod and it works fine. Called Sony and they say "not our problem, must be apple" call apple "not our problem must be sony" had to buy a new head unit. The shitty part is the first head unit was less than a year old!

toon

Reaction score
Try resetting your ipod. My alpine head unit does this a few times a year with either my ipod or others we are using. Resetting the ipod has always worked.

linus3

Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping it was just a cable deal. I will try to reset. :thumbsup

BarryMac

An Adelanto 9...
Reaction score
I agree. At least the radio speaks to the ipod in English and not some digital BS like Brown speaks.

:D

Mine must've been made in Mexico, it always says press one for English, WTF... :D

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Tom, just use a 3.5 mil. cord out of the headphone jack and the other end into the front of the deck , it should have one. That way you can use the Ipod to scroll and choose songs, much faster.

djhartley2003

Reaction score
My Alpine head unit has a USB conection that the Ipod cable plugged into and when I got my new Ipod I had this problem. I took the Ipod cable that came with the head unit out and plugged the new one that came with the Ipod into the head unit and it was fine. It might be that simple unless the plug is proprietary to the head unit.

linus3

Reaction score
My Alpine head unit has a USB conection that the Ipod cable plugged into and when I got my new Ipod I had this problem. I took the Ipod cable that came with the head unit out and plugged the new one that came with the Ipod into the head unit and it was fine. It might be that simple unless the plug is proprietary to the head unit.

I'll have to try that. To get by, i plugged in the IPod with the provided cable into the Aux on the deck. This killed all control from the driver side. I would like to continue the ability to skip right over my kids Justin Bieber/ Hanna Montana crap. :D Mark, Ill buy your first beer at the Pirate if you can get it to work. Your the Echo Lodge audio/video guy. I still owe you for the 220 outlet. :D:thumbsup

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
We'll get er figured out. :thumbsup

Actually , the guy that owns " Wired for Sound" has a place on C row. He would know whats wrong.

Last edited: