WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Big cat questions for those in the know

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Ditto Deano spun out at 33 Daytona and got pretty Violent tossed peeps out of the boat when we broke a crankshaft & locked up a drive .
and they all get dual powersteering as well now :thumbsup

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drnkfr

We recently broke a crank and stuck the motor in a 42' outerlimits at around 105mph. Staggered 6 drives and it pulled pretty hard.

Cats with opposite keel lines under individual power dont like losing drives and not free wheeling.

Sent from my African American iPhone using Tapatalk

PokerRun388

Reaction score
So do the quad rams solve the problem? I can totally understand the overcorrecting could cause the spinout. I just would think all big cats with twins would have quad steering, seems like a given.

Yes, they do. Quad meaning each drive has 2 arms holding it = 4 arms

PokerRun388

Reaction score
So do the quad rams solve the problem? I can totally understand the overcorrecting could cause the spinout. I just would think all big cats with twins would have quad steering, seems like a given.

Yes, they do. Quad meaning each drive has 2 arms holding it = 4 arms.

Thats the sole purpose of the arms, and what they were/are designed to do on Bravo's/Imco's.....:thumbsup

Now the bigger drives, NXTS, #6s, or Indys I've never seen external arms on them, Someone tell us why?...What protects those boats from spinning out, if a failure occurs at high speeds?

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
We recently broke a crank and stuck the motor in a 42' outerlimits at around 105mph. Staggered 6 drives and it pulled pretty hard.

Cats with opposite keel lines under individual power dont like losing drives and not free wheeling.

thank you :thumbsup

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Yes, they do. Quad meaning each drive has 2 arms holding it = 4 arms.

Thats the sole purpose of the arms, and what they were/are designed to do on Bravo's/Imco's.....:thumbsup

Now the bigger drives, NXTS, #6s, or Indys I've never seen external arms on them, Someone tell us why?...What protects those boats from spinning out, if a failure occurs at high speeds?

#6 drives and NXTs have the steering rams integrated into them, so external rams aren't needed. Bravo drives with ITS also have the steering rams integrated. As someone noted in an eariler post, I dont see how having more steering rams will prevent a spinout unless there is a gibmal failure or something along those lines. If the drive locks up, a spinout can still happen even if the drives are straight.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
#6 drives and NXTs have the steering rams integrated into them, so external rams aren't needed. Bravo drives with ITS also have the steering rams integrated. As someone noted in an eariler post, I dont see how having more steering rams will prevent a spinout unless there is a gibmal failure or something along those lines. If the drive locks up, a spinout can still happen even if the drives are straight.

See I dont see how steering rams inside a drive helps at all?.. Then I could see how a drive would turn or spin... Im talking about quad rams, where each ram is bolted to the rear transom of the boat...I can't see one of those drives turning if a failure occurs....You would like those rams bolted to the rear transom would have enough strength to keep that boat straight.. Not sure about quad rams bolted to a standoff box, because often times you see that kind of setup...

But like you guys said, anythings possible....!!

Last edited:

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
See I dont see how steering rams inside a drive helps at all?.. Then I could see how a drive would turn or spin... Im talking about quad rams, where each ram is bolted to the rear transom of the boat...I can't see one of those drives turning if a failure occurs....You would like those rams bolted to the rear transom would have enough strength to keep that boat straight.. Not sure about quad rams bolted to a standoff box, because often times you see that kind of setup...

apparantly your not to familiar with the forces and how Violent things get when catastrophic failures happens at 100 + mph , go google some utube Vids :D call Pete at Skater you can prolly convince him to start putting these Quad rams on starting monday a.m.
carry on ... at least its good for POST COUNT !

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drnkfr

Tank

Reaction score

But like you guys said, anythings possible....!!

If the prop locks up because of a failure internally that forces the shaft to stop spinning (I.E. metal binding up the gears) the prop will stop spinning cause a significant amount of drag. I would say that alone wouldnt nec. be enough to hook and roll. Its the drivers reaction to that initial hook from the drag of the prop and driver over correcting pulling the boat back and hooking and rolling the opposite direction that I'd truly be worried about. Number of rams isn't going to fix drivers error.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
The 30 Daytona of which I originally spoke of, lost a prop shaft that currently resides somewhere at the bottom of Roosevelt lake, so drag from a locked drive was not the cause, in this specific case.

So based on what I'm reading the "hook" is NOT a function of pods vs no pods.

Good data, thanks to all.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
If the prop locks up because of a failure internally that forces the shaft to stop spinning (I.E. metal binding up the gears) the prop will stop spinning cause a significant amount of drag. I would say that alone wouldnt nec. be enough to hook and roll. Its the drivers reaction to that initial hook from the drag of the prop and driver over correcting pulling the boat back and hooking and rolling the opposite direction that I'd truly be worried about. Number of rams isn't going to fix drivers error.

Good points Tank. Also, I wonder why these twin cats aren't foot trottle boats, that why both hands stay on the wheel?...:grumble:

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
Good points Tank. Also, I wonder why these twin cats aren't foot trottle boats, that why both hands stay on the wheel?...:grumble:

and what do you see in your crystal ball that this is gunna do PR ??

PokerRun388

Reaction score
and what do you see in your crystal ball that this is gunna do PR ??

Who knows, I just perfer driving a car w/ both hands, not sure why a boat would be any different...Just me..:)

dancudmore

Reaction score
Who knows, I just perfer driving a car w/ both hands, not sure why a boat would be any different...Just me..:)

Plenty of boats have foot throttles. For example PREDATOR.
Personally, much more comfortable with hand throttles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Heres a pic of how my 25 Daytona was rigged, foot throttle AND foot trim. Both hands all the time, I 10000% completely agree, you just cannot modulate the throttle in rough water as well with a hand stick either.

boat005.jpg

Steve

Letzgo

Reaction score
Heres a pic of how my 25 Daytona was rigged, foot throttle AND foot trim. Both hands all the time, I 10000% completely agree, you just cannot modulate the throttle in rough water as well with a hand stick either.

boat005.jpg

Steve

that must be why all the big offshore boats use foot throttles:rolleyes:

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score

:lmao MT! just placed a huge order this a.m.

Attachments

• PR 388 foot pedals.jpg
    PR 388 foot pedals.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 172

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
So, when a drive or motor locks up, and you have the push and drag deal occuring, is that enough to spin the boat out? Or does the spinout, ditch a sponson, rollover occur from overcorrecting?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

Letzgo,
You inadvertently made my point for me, thank you. The throttle management function in offshore race boats is so important that the driver can't do both optimally so a second guy is required. If sticks and driving with one hand were the hot set up, why would they not do that?

Since a throttle man is not an option for us mere mortals, a foot throttle I find adequate.

Anyway, since I'm a lowly jetboater as well, I kinda dig a big aluminum foot thinghy, kind like the 60's.

To each his own.

Steve

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
I like this thread, good convo, info. :thumbsup boating content..... :thumbsup

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Anyway, since I'm a lowly jetboater as well, I kinda dig a big aluminum foot thinghy, kind like the 60's.

Steve
I think that your just Over Compensating for something:D

hallett21

Reaction score
I love driving with a foot throttle except in rough water. While I can manage the throttle better (so much more adjustability/ fine tuning IMO) I can't take my ass outa the seat when the big kidney punchers come :skull

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
You know what they say about guys with big feet and big boats :rolleyes:

(your boats much larger than mine)[/QUOTE
My boat is bigger Right now it is but it is kinda hard to measure my foot with my Hand Throttle .:D

I would have a foot throttle too if my tub ran any faster.

prosthogod

Reaction score
Hey Bud!,
Whats up. Come by and see the project in the backyard. I traded a guy here on RDP for a 23 Edge with new Pedo power. about 600HP. Have not even put it in the water yet. I always liked the Edge, this was Billy's old boat.

I think he got the better end of the trade but I got to keep my power.

As far as business, it's not bad but I sold my other house.

Steve
I have a 30' magic septor with twin Peto motors if you want that

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
So, when a drive or motor locks up, and you have the push and drag deal occuring, is that enough to spin the boat out? Or does the spinout, ditch a sponson, rollover occur from overcorrecting?

Well, C-mon the thread is dying:grumble:

skater40

Reaction score
32 Skater with 6 drives and Stock Power. Turn key and as good or better resale value when you're ready to move on.

West Coast Drives (310-995-1670) has a 32 w850hp Keith Eickerts and #6 drives for around $85,000 that is gorgeus.

skater40

Reaction score
Letzgo you are 100% correct shutting down the motor will still allow the prop to free spin , on the other hand locking up a motor and drive she will hook to the side .

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drnkfr

I assume you are speaking from experience.:eek:

skater40

Reaction score

If you loose a port motor,drive or prop,the boat will turn to the port side gradually.I run a foot throttle with both hands on the wheel and the drive and tab trim buttons also on the wheel.The first thing you do is to get out of the throttle and steer right to counteract the boat turning left.Having power steering on each motor makes it safer and easier to control the failure.
I am talking from experience,because all of the above has happened to me before i put dual power steering on and all over 100mph.When a prop looses a blade,the boat vibrates so bad,you think you ripped the bottom out of the boat.When you feel that bad of a vibration,you mind as well have the drive and transmission disassembled and looked at because the damage transfered to both of them.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
If you loose a port motor,drive or prop,the boat will turn to the port side gradually.I run a foot throttle with both hands on the wheel and the drive and tab trim buttons also on the wheel.The first thing you do is to get out of the throttle and steer right to counteract the boat turning left.Having power steering on each motor makes it safer and easier to control the failure.
I am talking from experience,because all of the above has happened to me before i put dual power steering on and all over 100mph.When a prop looses a blade,the boat vibrates so bad,you think you ripped the bottom out of the boat.When you feel that bad of a vibration,you mind as well have the drive and transmission disassembled and looked at because the damage transfered to both of them.

Good Points Gary!:thumbsup, I can't wait to see Predator run at DS, i'll probably be up there the week before for the boat show, so I can get some great pics of Predator and Roths 388..:thumbsup

skater40

Reaction score
We will be there running around all week.Stop and say hello.Maybe even get you a ride.:D

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Agreed, lost a blade at desert storm last year, first time for me, at around 105, boat tracked just fine, but man all hell broke loose until I pulled the throttles back.

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

PokerRun388

Reaction score
We will be there running around all week.Stop and say hello.Maybe even get you a ride.:D

That would be the coolest thing I've ever done, if it happened:thumbsup... I've always wondered what that would be like...:D

Fltplan

Reaction score
I love the foot throttle on my outboard! I can't imagine driving my or any boat of any size without 2 hands on the wheel, just doesn't seem right.

Attachments

• 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 59

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I love the foot throttle on my outboard! I can't imagine driving my or any boat of any size without 2 hands on the wheel, just doesn't seem right.
Different animals.100% agree about that with alottle out board cat with lots of power.
On some of those bigger cats you see better,and absorb more shock standing,using seats with dropout bolsters.