WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bfg allterrain ko3 on duramax?

scubamike

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the bfg ko3 vs ko2? I need new tires for my duramax and discount tire recommended the ko3s but I'm open to other brands also. I'm looking at the 315/70/17 or 35/12.50/17

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
fuck BFG. My 6.0 gasser chunked a set of their shit A/T tires in 20K miles on the street...they offered me $12....then said they had a new compound out that could deal with the torque of a diesel better and recommended those.

I've been running Hankook AT-2s for 6 years and 45K miles and they look brand new and don't lose traction when I run over a manhole cover. That was the first and last set of BFGs I'll own.

MARCYTECH

CUTLESS Designs
Reaction score
I just switched from bfg ko2 to falken wild peak at3 on my duramax and I love them. I have a very steep driveway and my rv accrss side is all gravel. When backing the boat up and in The bfgs would slip and dig holes everytime to the point that I’d either have to haul ass in reverse or I can’t do it with just 2wd.
These Falkens grip so much better that it never slips. I can back in nice and slow in 2wd. They’re quiet and so far no cupping or anything weird. Highly recommend. But I will say they are WAY bigger than the bfg in the same size.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Put Toyo AT3's on my 2024 Duramax. Have always used the Toyo's on a 2500, AT3's on a 1/2 ton.
This is the last set of Toyo's I will ever buy. 30% tread left after 7000 miles. They have worn terribly, noisy, and traction is terrible. I don't know what changed in the last few years but these are not the same tire as before. I will gladly try a BFG again over the Toyo.
IMG_3177.jpg

eand28

Reaction score
I had a set of k02’s and they took a lot of weight to balance. Other than that didn’t really have any other complaints

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the bfg ko3 vs ko2? I need new tires for my duramax and discount tire recommended the ko3s but I'm open to other brands also. I'm looking at the 315/70/17 or 35/12.50/17
58000 on my 2020 duramax and still going bfg rotate every 5000.the other boys truck toyos lasted only 35000

DaveH

Reaction score
ran both on my 2500 mileage was maybe 30k. they got very noisy as they aged, even though tread wear was good.

running General's now and HATE them. sure i have one that is egg shaped or something based on how the truck shakes only from 70-75 maybe 10k on them. tring to resolve that now.

just put a set of BFG HD Terrain T/A on a duramax 3500 i have, heard good things about them. You wont find them at the big retailers ( i tried), had to order them from Tire Rack.

little noisier then i would have expected but not bad for a fairly aggressive tire, great ride though. have maybe 5000 on them so too soon to report mileage.

Riley1

Reaction score
I’ve always loved BFG AT’s. For my wheelin they work great. Mostly desert and rock. My main complaint with them is their sizing. I’ve got 37” at2’s on my jeep and the measure in at 35-1/2”. My buddies with Nitto and Toyo are much closer to 37. I went with BFG because they’re on the raptors, so if i loose a tire in Montana, the Ford dealership should have one.

oldman

Reaction score
10K on a set now, 06' 2500hd, 285/75/16 on stock wheels. rotated every 5k, no issues, I've been running BFG At's since new with no issues.

oldman

Reaction score
I thought everyone put Mud Terrain tires on their lifted brodozers?
I ran one set on my Excursion back in the day, worst thing I ever did, at about 10k they started howling, throwing weights and generally sucked.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have Nittos on our 2022 2500. 👍

Nosocks

Reaction score
Half the replies for this are gonna be:
“I had one bad experience, even after several good ones or a ton of evidence that my experience was exceptional, will never use x brand again”

Anyway, I was able to get about 50k with wiggle room on KO2s.

Got toyo RT trail tires on the new truck. Splits the difference between a mud terrain and AT. Also, they don’t pick up rocks and throw them at your truck like the KO2s tend to.

I’ve also noticed that they do much better on a wet launch ramp than other tires. This lines up with a review I watched on YouTube where the guy mentioned that they do well in rain.

If ordering, be sure you’re getting the “trail” variant as they’ve kept the normal RT around.

IMG_0437.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Half the replies for this are gonna be:
“I had one bad experience, even after several good ones or a ton of evidence that my experience was exceptional, will never use x brand again”

Anyway, I was able to get about 50k with wiggle room on KO2s.

Got toyo RT trail tires on the new truck. Splits the difference between a mud terrain and AT. Also, they don’t pick up rocks and throw them at your truck like the KO2s tend to.

I’ve also noticed that they do much better on a wet launch ramp than other tires. This lines up with a review I watched on YouTube where the guy mentioned that they do well in rain.

If ordering, be sure you’re getting the “trail” variant as they’ve kept the normal RT around.

View attachment 1440521

That's like a 1/2 ton truck, yeah?

JFMFG

Reaction score
Put Toyo AT3's on my 2024 Duramax. Have always used the Toyo's on a 2500, AT3's on a 1/2 ton.
This is the last set of Toyo's I will ever buy. 30% tread left after 7000 miles. They have worn terribly, noisy, and traction is terrible. I don't know what changed in the last few years but these are not the same tire as before. I will gladly try a BFG again over the Toyo. View attachment 1440457
Great I just put those on our Yukon.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I have KO2s on my truck 35” on 20s. I have 45k on them with another 5-10k miles of tread left. Love them.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
I had good luck with the Cooper A/T on my Duramax. Solid tire and not noisy. I had problems with the Nitto’s which I believe are the parent company of Toyo. Separation issues and chunks flying off. Yoko Geolanders are also good

Fabhouse

Reaction score
Great I just put those on our Yukon.
They have been great on every truck i have had-Likely 5-6 sets?
Just this set has been horrible. 950lbs of torque and me driving doesn't help, but.....The fronts are similar wear without a rotation yet. ( I know-I'm a bit late on the rotation)

JFMFG

Reaction score
They have been great on every truck i have had-Likely 5-6 sets?
Just this set has been horrible. 950lbs of torque and me driving doesn't help, but.....The fronts are similar wear without a rotation yet. ( I know-I'm a bit late on the rotation)
If I get 30k out of them I’ll be happy but needing tires say 15k miles that’s gonna suck.

scubamike

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is the ko2s were on the truck when I got it and are c rated and 5 years old but in the time I've owned it I have maybe 5000 miles on them and have seen way more wear than I should have and they squeal like crazy turning. Didn't know if the ko3s are an improvement or is there something better out there. They are all pretty pricey so I want to make the right decision

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Indeed. They are E rated tires.

580 ft lbs behind the skinny pedal on this tundra though.

Family has run the KO2 on a dmax just fine.

I think the lighter trucks do ok with BFG's. Heavier trucks, not so much.

E rated should last a Long time on a half ton!

Nosocks

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is the ko2s were on the truck when I got it and are c rated and 5 years old but in the time I've owned it I have maybe 5000 miles on them and have seen way more wear than I should have and they squeal like crazy turning. Didn't know if the ko3s are an improvement or is there something better out there. They are all pretty pricey so I want to make the right decision
5 years old is pretty old.

Also I’m not sure why C rated tires are on a HD truck.

They probably just need to go.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I run XL load range tires on my 1500 Yukon. My father runs load range E on this Yukon because he is running oversize tires and they don't come in a C range. Mine rides nice, his rides like a dump truck.

No idea why people run E tires on half-ton platforms (Tundra imo is a 1/2 ton) unless the tire size they want isn't standard and doesn't come in the C range the vehicle came with. If you want a slightly beefier tire, go with XL load range and you can still run a stock size tire (if offered in XL range). It won't destroy the ride like a D or E range will.

We both run Toyo AT3's but I am switching to Nitto Nomad Grapplers. The Toyos do good on the snow but their ice traction is lacking, so I needed a tire with way more siping for ice. The Nitto Nomads seem to fit that bill (rated well on Tire Rack), while still being somewhat off-road to maintain regular snow traction. Technically its classified as an on-road AT tire vs Toyo AT3 which is an off-road AT tire.

We also have a Taco running BF Goodrich Trail Terrains which is supposed to be another good On-road AT tire (comes factory on the Taco). So we'll compare BFG and Nitto this winter.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think most people don't pay attention to All the details...

Lots of homework needs to be done when buying truck tires.