WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Vacation You've ever taken

River Runner

Reaction score
Lets hear them, I am looking for ideas for my 5 year Anniversary in July.

RaceTec

Reaction score
The only vacation I have had in the last 6 years was a long weekend (4 day) Cancun trip... Just Becky and I all inclusive at the Omni... Best trip of my life, might have just been the company I had though!!!

RodnJen

Reaction score
Kaui, Cancun, Havasu, Avon CO, Sutter Creek CA - all good and all very different. We like to alternate driving vacations with Flying distinations. I actually prefer the "driving" ones and my wife likes the flying ones, go figure.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
For just the two of you? I vote for Kaui as well. Very remote. Very uncrowded. Very beautiful and relaxing at the same time.

We found a guy that ran a little bell jet ranger copter, and he took us all over the island. No doors on it, so you had the best view EVER! That, and the inflatable run out to an ocean cave, were two of the funner things we did there.

Great place to connect and relax. :thumbup:

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Been to Fiji twice...... Fricken AWESOME vacations......

Been to Jamaica twice...... Wouldn't go back again (not sure how I got roped into going back the first time)......

Other that that, the best vacation for us is every weekend at the River...... :thumbsup

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Manzanillo, Mexico, Private beach house

Lake Powell....7 days on a 60 ft. houseboat exploring the lake.

Yellowstone/Grand Teton Nat'l. Parks.

rvrmom

Reaction score
Some good ideas... but keep in mind July is high season.. read... kid's out of school so prices on airline tix are expensive AND alot of tropical places are friggen hot. I went to Jamaica years ago in August and thought I was gonna die. Humidity off the charts. Not to be a debbie downer just food for thought.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Dunton Hot Springs in Dunton, CO. Got married there a couple years ago. Way spendy but worth it and a little bit different.

Joker

Reaction score
Atlantis was good
Costa Rica was excellent
Dominican Republic was cheap but good
Hawaii is just like here
Jamaica, good but not great
New York, I'd do it again
Puerto Rico was so so
Germany was pretty cool

Warlock1

Reaction score
What is your dollar allowance for the vacation?

rampgirlll

Reaction score
Every single boat race I have been to in the last 16 years.....and a 3 month trip to Africa hitting Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa and Botswana.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
16 Day honeymoon in Belize, one week on a private island. Truly stunning. Look them up if you want http://www.turnefferesort.com/

Near as we could count there were only a half dozen to a dozen staff on the island, untill we asked. Almost 40, they make a art of not being seen or noticed, everything is just taken care of.

Not the cheapest place around but they do have some deals.

Eroc5150

Reaction score
Maui
Grand cayman
Lake Powell
Playa del Carmen
Kauai vacation is in the works but probably won't happen until October. I've heard great things though.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
2 week trip to France...

1st week in Paris
2nd week split between Bouerdeau, Monte Carlo and Nice
Wasn't an over the top party vacation but the historical significance was huge.

River Runner

Reaction score
I have a feeling it is going to go over, We are going over the week of the 4th. We've been to Cabo, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Italy, Hawaii, Costa Rica, St. Lucia, the river, Chicago, Napa, tahoe in the winter, vegas, Santa Barbra, San Diego and Cleveland (she has family there so we go every year) for Vacation. We were trying to do something different but she wants a beach (but she wont go in the ocean, i dont get it). We don't want to fly for 12 hours, I was just thinking of going to Carmel and staying at a nice hotel on the beach or something like that, She seems to want to fly somewhere so I told her I would consult RDP.

Thanks for all the suggestions and any future ones.

River Runner

Reaction score
I have a feeling it is going to go over, We are going over the week of the 4th. We've been to Cabo, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Italy, Hawaii, Costa Rica, St. Lucia, the river, Chicago, Napa, tahoe in the winter, vegas, Santa Barbra, San Diego and Cleveland (she has family there so we go every year) for Vacation. We were trying to do something different but she wants a beach (but she wont go in the ocean, i dont get it). We don't want to fly for 12 hours, I was just thinking of going to Carmel and staying at a nice hotel on the beach or something like that, She seems to want to fly somewhere so I told her I would consult RDP.

Thanks for all the suggestions and any future ones.

We are are looking to relax.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
7 day houseboat on Powell or 12 - 14 days on the Royal Star or Royal Polaris at Alijos Rocks.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Powell is right at the top for me. No BS - A week on a private yacht, just the two of us, at Catalina with an Avalon mooring is probably at the very top of both our lists. And we've done Europe, Carib., S. Pacific, Japan, Mex. & all the Hawaiian Islands etc. etc. . . .

RVRKID

Reaction score
I loved Lake Powell, I would go there over Hawaii any day. You should look into it, you guys can find a cove and it would only be you 2 secluded.:boobeyes:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Fiji by far the best ever, friendliest natives, not very expensive.
Jamaica.......Got Irie and took a jungle tour with some locals on a panga up the river....we was da only white peoples:D:D
Grand Cayman..swam and fed the Stingrays at stingray island(basically a submerged sandbar in the middle of the ocean)
Germany...touring the many castles, well preserved and so well preserved. Seeing the East German side both before and after the wall came down. Salt Mine Tour in Saltzburg Austria was awesome too...and of course driving 240kph + legally on the autobahn is hard to beat.:thumbup:
Hawaii is a natural choice too. Love the Big Island, Maui and Kauai.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
fly back east to Virginia (starting point) and do the Colonial history tour up and down the coast. One of the most educational and fun trips I've been on and not something you would normally go out of your way to do. Sounds like you've done quite a bit of the normal vacation stuff. It's pretty cool to tour all of those old southern towns/cities too. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Big Crapolla

Lake Mead Bound
Reaction score
1 European river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.
2 Cook Islands cruise
3 Yellowstone

rvrmom

Reaction score
fly back east to Virginia (starting point) and do the Colonial history tour up and down the coast. One of the most educational and fun trips I've been on and not something you would normally go out of your way to do. Sounds like you've done quite a bit of the normal vacation stuff. It's pretty cool to tour all of those old southern towns/cities too. :thumbsup

:thumbup::thumbup: I've always wanted to do this

I wanna get the kiddo to DC too not in July though :p

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
We did Aspen in the summer a couple years ago. It was a nice change with all the trees. Rent a bicycle and cruise around the village. We've thought about doing it again. And it can be done with out spending a crap load of cash. Just depends how fancy a place you want to stay. Its their off season so rates are a little better.

Duffster

Reaction score
The best vacation for me has to be Bora Bora. And the most expensive.

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
If you like boating, you ain't gonna go wrong with the British Virgin Islands.
Been there 4 years running now, and although I was working, it wasn't really what I call work. :D

7289979174_76bb4834ac_o.jpg

7278511326_817887916e_o.jpg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I'm miserable on a relaxing vacation, toes in the sand. I love travel and would rather backpack, ride trains and explore different cultures..

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
One lap around the USA with our RV visiting historic locations.
Only thing we'll do different next time is a longer range diesel instead of gas truck so we're not always searching for a gas station, and more time in the South.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I'm miserable on a relaxing vacation, toes in the sand. I love travel and would rather backpack, ride trains and explore different cultures..

X2, I can only sit for so long before starting to go stir crazy....

Meaney77

Reaction score
Only thing we'll do different next time is a longer range diesel instead of gas truck so we're not always searching for a gas station, and more time in the South.

Would love to do this one day. I am not much of a history guy but would really enjoy doing a road trip and seeing what's out there. One day

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I enjoyed Key West as much as anyplace I have been

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The best vacation I very took was when the wife and I went lighthouse hunting on the west coast. Started at Can/Wash line and headed south. Took pictures of every one of them. Some we had to rent boats, planes and one time a helicopter. Made no plans, just went. Stayed at B&B as much as we could. One night we had to sleep in the car. Some wine festival that was going on and we where to drunk to drive, being at the festival all day. All the rooms were full 80 miles both direction. One night we stopped at a K-mart and bought a tent, sleeping bags, one burner cook stove and a few other things and stayed at a camp ground called Fort Stevens. Stayed for two nights and looked at all the sights. One day we bought kites and spent all day on the beach. It was the best vacation becaues it wasn't scripted. Going to do that again here soon but for three years long this time.:D

westair

Reaction score
Traveling the Ca coast and hitting all the great surf spots, have only done this once when I was probably about 19 with a couple other friends .... little money, no schedule and alot of surfing. Didn't even realize at the time what a great trip it was, and no way could never be duplicated.

E4L

Reaction score
The best vacation I have ever been on was to Treasure Cay Bahamas I really had the time of my life and so did the other 3 couples that went with us we always talk about it. It's in the abacos islands about a hour outside of ft lauderdale Florida. I can't wait to go back. It looks like this year we are going to Maui and I wanna go to the British Virgin Islands one day.

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
Thumbs up on the diesel.

When I sold the sign shop on that barrier island (NC), I used part of the proceeds to buy a 23ftr...
and took off to Key West for 14 days- was my first trip doing both. I took 17 down to A1A the entire route.
Love traveling in an RV, and have been thinking of another to get around to the events.
Wanna small cc to haul behind it next time. :thumbsup

stoker

Reaction score

We are doing the same thing in April. Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, River Walk San Antonio, New Orleans, Key West for a week. Outerbanks in N.C. for a few days, D.C. Then home.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Over here towards the right.:D I love the ocean in the summer. Cape Cod, MA., not bad. Wildwood, NJ., pretty good for kids. Myrtle beach, SC., Pretty nice. Ocean City, Md., Love it here!!! Always a good time here.:thumbsup Going to check out Virginia beach, VA. this year too.

Last edited:

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Hedonisim 2.....it was "all inclusive" and I mean "ALL INCLUSIVE":boobeyes::boobeyes:

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Two weeks in Costa Rica back in 1986, bachelor style. ;)

In the 90's Hawaii with just the wife and I for 5 days....awesome trip.

Any of the dozen or so week-10 day surfing trips down in Baja during the early 1980's!

My very first week long trip to the "zoo when we stayed at Havasu Springs with our first boat!

My first trip to Lake Powell back in 2006.

Yosemite always ranks right up there.