WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Beef Ribs

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
What's the best way to make some tender beef ribs.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Crock pot. One bottle of BBQ sauce, shot of whiskey, cayenne pepper if you like spicy, cook on high for 5 ish hours. Bones completely fall out with no meat attached to them.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Indirect heat in the smoker. Maintain 225-250 degrees until tender to fork test.(5-6 hours usually, depends on pit as they all seem to be unique). Just don't dry them out by overcooking or take off too soon, as they will not be tender. I use dry rub of choice and will baste every hour with marinade of choice. Slather on some BBQ sauce over last 30 minutes, rest 20 minutes and get to eatin'.

Crock pots and braising make for tender ribs, but you don't get the smoked taste like a real pit or Traeger gives 'em. Plus I think the meat should be chewed off the bones as that's the purpose of using ribs in slab form.:thumbsup

HitIt

Reaction score
Crock pots and braising make for tender ribs, but you don't get the smoked taste like a real pit or Traeger gives 'em. Plus I think the meat should be chewed off the bones as that's the purpose of using ribs in slab form.:thumbsup

So true. Crock pot makes em mushy. A modified 3-2-1 method (2-2-0.5) works for beef ribs. 2 hours on the low smoke. 2 hours in foil on the low grill, 0.5 hours getting finished with sauce.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
So true. Crock pot makes em mushy. A modified 3-2-1 method (2-2-0.5) works for beef ribs. 2 hours on the low smoke. 2 hours in foil on the low grill, 0.5 hours getting finished with sauce.

i am going to give this one a shot is the last half hour un wrapped from the foil? Whats a good low smoke temp?

HitIt

Reaction score
i am going to give this one a shot is the last half hour un wrapped from the foil? Whats a good low smoke temp?

First two parts are 225 - 250. Last part (unwrapped. with sauce, optionally) you can increase the temp towards the end of the cook to get some char if you want. You don't really have to foil them during the second part but it provides a bit of insurance against drying out.

edit: make sure they are room temp when you start. Also, the cook times are going to very depending on the temp and how you like your ribs. The info I gave you is a good baseline. Keep notes (just post what you did here) and if you want to make em chewier or more tender next time, you can tweak the recipe.

OFFSHORE GINGER

Reaction score