WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Barstow Del Taco vs the rest of the Del Tacos

Tank

Reaction score
If you enjoy Del Taco (we do) then it's cool to eat at one of the ones the original owner still owns and cares for. Pride in ownership and years of experience are noticeable. But like others said, it aint no magic food. Matter of fact, it's gringo mexican food / fast food. I don't think to myself, "I want some mexican food, lets go to Del Taco". I think, "I'm craving some Del Taco". The ones Ed owns are the absolute best though. Fresh, fresh, fresh food! Crispy shells, hot meat and beans and ice cold lettuce and cheese. It's tasty. But it's still Del Taco.

Last time we were there, Ed came over and BS'd with us for a while. Asked about my Key west shirt. Kids were kind'a trippin on his story.
Del Taco.png

Here is the original Del Taco in Yermo.

dt1.png

dt2.png

TeamGreene

Reaction score
If you enjoy Del Taco (we do) then it's cool to eat at one of the ones the original owner still owns and cares for. Pride in ownership and years of experience are noticeable. But like others said, it aint no magic food. Matter of fact, it's gringo mexican food / fast food. I don't think to myself, "I want some mexican food, lets go to Del Taco". I think, "I'm craving some Del Taco". The ones Ed owns are the absolute best though. Fresh, fresh, fresh food! Crispy shells, hot meat and beans and ice cold lettuce and cheese. It's tasty. But it's still Del Taco.

Last time we were there, Ed came over and BS'd with us for a while. Asked about my Key west shirt. Kids were kind'a trippin on his story.
View attachment 887279

View attachment 887280

View attachment 887281
Exactly! The food is always fresh. The burritos are full to the end, no burrito foreskin as you'll get at company stores.
This is as it was intended to be but corporations take over and profit takes priority over quality.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
The Barstow owner has a grandfathered in agreement with Del Taco so he can provide one of a kind menu items, larger portions, etc. The quality, size and variety is better than any of the other locations. I got this from an executive at DT a couple of years ago....

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The Barstow owner has a grandfathered in agreement with Del Taco so he can provide one of a kind menu items, larger portions, etc. The quality, size and variety is better than any of the other locations. I got this from an executive at DT a couple of years ago....
Yeah, part of the deal when he sold the franchise was he got to keep the 3 Barstow locations and run them his way. Which is MUCH better.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
The ones here in Riverside don’t

nope, thats not on the official menu anymore. I've heard of certain ones doing it, but its prob up to the person taking the order. I have gone to the Naugles in Fountain Valley a few times. They have all that old school shit.

C-2

Reaction score
Exactly! The food is always fresh. The burritos are full to the end, no burrito foreskin as you'll get at company stores.
This is as it was intended to be but corporations take over and profit takes priority over quality.

I once read Ed saying a customer should taste meat and cheese on the very first bite; that's how they should be properly made.

Another article from a couple of years back:

Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth makes appearance at grand opening of Corona location

0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-001.jpg

Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth, 84, was part of the fast food boom in the mid-20th century. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
By FIELDING BUCK | [email protected] | The Press-Enterprise
PUBLISHED: June 26, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. | UPDATED: June 28, 2018 at 9:56 a.m.

• Previous
    • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0012.jpg
    • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0041.jpg
    • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0021.jpg

• 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0031.jpg

Next

1 of 6
Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth talks with media as he attends a grand opening of a new Dell Taco in Corona on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
The Tuesday grand opening of a Del Taco in Corona was more like a reunion.
While the family that owns the franchise was out front getting pictures taken with the Corona Chamber of Commerce, Del Taco’s founder was sitting in the dining room with members of his family.
Ed Hackbarth, 85, was a player in the fast food revolution that started in San Bernardino in the 1950s. His story is intertwined with Taco Bell, Naugles, Wienerschintzel, and Bakers Drive-Thru. And it’s still unfolding.
Hackbarth who lives in Dana Point, said that on Monday he was cleaning tables at Barstow No. 1, one of three Del Tacos in the desert town that he kept when he sold off the chain in the 1970s. The chain got its start in nearby Yermo in 1964, serving travelers on the way to Nevada.
“When I opened my first Del Taco in Yermo, I called it my slot machine because everybody went to Vegas. Now I call all three of them slot machines. I’ve got to keep them going.”
Hackbarth got his start working for Glen Bell, of Taco Bell fame. He bought Bell’s restaurants to start Del Taco.
Hackbarth went on to mentor one of his Yermo employees, Dick Naugle, who went on to found the Naugles chain.
Naugle copied his menu, Hackbarth said.
“I had the foundation, but it was OK,” he said. “I don’t care about competition. It’s just every customer. How do you wait on him?”
In the 1980s, Hackbarth mentored Linda Oldfield, who has known him for 38 years and calls him a humble man. Oldfield heads CJR Restaurants, which owns the Corona franchise.
Oldfield said he has recently been checking on the Corona restaurant nearly every day.
Although Oldfield’s company has five other restaurants in Los Angeles and Orange counties, this one on 2260 Frontage Road was a big deal.
Until four years ago, Oldfield had a Del Taco on the site. It was torn down in the belief that the land would be needed for the 91 Freeway expansion that was completed last year. But the family was able to rebuild five feet from the original footprint.
The new Del Taco is state-of-the-art, said Oldfield’s daughter Janice Vanderwheel, with a longer drive-through, expanded parking lot, bigger dining room, and display case for fresh, hand-prepared produce behind the cash registers.
Del Taco has a long history in Corona. Hackbarth partnered with Naugle on the chain’s first drive-through, built in 1964 on Third Street land owned by Dave Jameson, a member of a local citrus-growing family. Because of Jameson, Del Taco headquarters were in Corona for awhile.
Hackbarth was joined at Corona with sons Jerry and Eugene and Eugene’s wife Priscilla, who all have history with Del Taco. Priscilla brought a yellow headscarf that was part of her uniform as an employee.
“That was my first job,” she said. “When I was 16 I got hired in Montebello. 1978. We wore white pants. We wore a yellow apron, the same color as the headscarf.
“Shortly thereafter my husband started working there, and the rest is history.”
“I’ve got five boys, and three of them married Taco girls,” said Hackbarth. “My story is, were they working, or were they dating?”
Hackbarth lives in Dana Point and commutes two hours when he visits Barstow. He said he kept the area restaurants because it was “a good situation.”
On Monday, he was working the noon hour.
“My first store yesterday had a record hour,” he said. That translates to “a lot of money.”
Fast food history
McDonald’s:
First store opened in 1948 at 14th and E streets, San Bernardino.
Taco Bell: Founded in Downey in 1962 by Glen Bell after a number of ventures in San Bernardino, including a hot dog restaurant that branched into tacos.
Del Taco: Founded in Yermo by Ed Hackbarth, who started working for Bell in 1954 and later bought out his restaurants.
Baker’s Drive-Thru: Started by Neal Baker, a friend of Bell’s, and wife Carol in 1952.
Wienerschnitzel: Founded by John Galardi, a protege of Bell, in Wilmington in 1961.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I once read Ed saying a customer should taste meat and cheese on the very first bite; that's how they should be properly made.

Another article from a couple of years back:

Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth makes appearance at grand opening of Corona location

0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-001.jpg

Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth, 84, was part of the fast food boom in the mid-20th century. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
By FIELDING BUCK | [email protected] | The Press-Enterprise
PUBLISHED: June 26, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. | UPDATED: June 28, 2018 at 9:56 a.m.

• Previous
    • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0012.jpg
    • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0021.jpg

• 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0031.jpg

• Next

1 of 6
Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth talks with media as he attends a grand opening of a new Dell Taco in Corona on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)
The Tuesday grand opening of a Del Taco in Corona was more like a reunion.
While the family that owns the franchise was out front getting pictures taken with the Corona Chamber of Commerce, Del Taco’s founder was sitting in the dining room with members of his family.
Ed Hackbarth, 85, was a player in the fast food revolution that started in San Bernardino in the 1950s. His story is intertwined with Taco Bell, Naugles, Wienerschintzel, and Bakers Drive-Thru. And it’s still unfolding.
Hackbarth who lives in Dana Point, said that on Monday he was cleaning tables at Barstow No. 1, one of three Del Tacos in the desert town that he kept when he sold off the chain in the 1970s. The chain got its start in nearby Yermo in 1964, serving travelers on the way to Nevada.
“When I opened my first Del Taco in Yermo, I called it my slot machine because everybody went to Vegas. Now I call all three of them slot machines. I’ve got to keep them going.”
Hackbarth got his start working for Glen Bell, of Taco Bell fame. He bought Bell’s restaurants to start Del Taco.
Hackbarth went on to mentor one of his Yermo employees, Dick Naugle, who went on to found the Naugles chain.
Naugle copied his menu, Hackbarth said.
“I had the foundation, but it was OK,” he said. “I don’t care about competition. It’s just every customer. How do you wait on him?”
In the 1980s, Hackbarth mentored Linda Oldfield, who has known him for 38 years and calls him a humble man. Oldfield heads CJR Restaurants, which owns the Corona franchise.
Oldfield said he has recently been checking on the Corona restaurant nearly every day.
Although Oldfield’s company has five other restaurants in Los Angeles and Orange counties, this one on 2260 Frontage Road was a big deal.
Until four years ago, Oldfield had a Del Taco on the site. It was torn down in the belief that the land would be needed for the 91 Freeway expansion that was completed last year. But the family was able to rebuild five feet from the original footprint.
The new Del Taco is state-of-the-art, said Oldfield’s daughter Janice Vanderwheel, with a longer drive-through, expanded parking lot, bigger dining room, and display case for fresh, hand-prepared produce behind the cash registers.
Del Taco has a long history in Corona. Hackbarth partnered with Naugle on the chain’s first drive-through, built in 1964 on Third Street land owned by Dave Jameson, a member of a local citrus-growing family. Because of Jameson, Del Taco headquarters were in Corona for awhile.
Hackbarth was joined at Corona with sons Jerry and Eugene and Eugene’s wife Priscilla, who all have history with Del Taco. Priscilla brought a yellow headscarf that was part of her uniform as an employee.
“That was my first job,” she said. “When I was 16 I got hired in Montebello. 1978. We wore white pants. We wore a yellow apron, the same color as the headscarf.
“Shortly thereafter my husband started working there, and the rest is history.”
“I’ve got five boys, and three of them married Taco girls,” said Hackbarth. “My story is, were they working, or were they dating?”
Hackbarth lives in Dana Point and commutes two hours when he visits Barstow. He said he kept the area restaurants because it was “a good situation.”
On Monday, he was working the noon hour.
“My first store yesterday had a record hour,” he said. That translates to “a lot of money.”
Fast food history
McDonald’s:
First store opened in 1948 at 14th and E streets, San Bernardino.
Taco Bell: Founded in Downey in 1962 by Glen Bell after a number of ventures in San Bernardino, including a hot dog restaurant that branched into tacos.
Del Taco: Founded in Yermo by Ed Hackbarth, who started working for Bell in 1954 and later bought out his restaurants.
Baker’s Drive-Thru: Started by Neal Baker, a friend of Bell’s, and wife Carol in 1952.
Wienerschnitzel: Founded by John Galardi, a protege of Bell, in Wilmington in 1961.
Being from S.B. I kind of watched some of this unfold, there was another connection in there too with Taco Tia, not sure how it plays though.

Just wanted to add, I met Neil Baker a few times, what a nice guy.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

View attachment 887279

View attachment 887280

View attachment 887281

This place is awesome, great tacos and burgers Maritas Burger Den or something is what it's called now

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Did you get the actual street carne tacos or you were a bozo and ordered the National del taco menu crap?

Also

Lolas Mexican food by the Vons has some of the best Chile verda I’ve ever had

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
The place is called Diablos Micheladas and is in Jurupa Valley (near Riverside), CA. The meat is a braised beef cooked in a broth. The tortillas are dipped in the broth before frying giving them the red color. The tacos are served with a side of the broth for dipping. It’s not spicy at all. More of a tomato/beef broth flavor with a small kick.

MagicMan

Reaction score
The place is called Diablos Micheladas and is in Jurupa Valley (near Riverside), CA. The meat is a braised beef cooked in a broth. The tortillas are dipped in the broth before frying giving them the red color. The tacos are served with a side of the broth for dipping. It’s not spicy at all. More of a tomato/beef broth flavor with a small kick.
Bro thats not 5 mins away from Barstow, but im still hitting up since its close to chino 👍🏽

Reactions: BTR

Ol Man

Reaction score
We stop there every trip we take around lunch time. It is fast food, but good fast food; plus it is cool if Ed is there. Always a big crowd.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

View attachment 887279

View attachment 887280

View attachment 887281

Stopped in for lunch but no Ed in sight. I did see this guy though. He looks an Awful lot like that Milk Money guy. 🤔
20200625_123931.jpg