WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Auto club Speedway is converting to a short track?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Cali-borin'-ya as a Nascar track needs a re-do. Either come up with a different configuration (I'd take figure 8 with a jump over the cross-over) or come up with a way to make the races more interesting.

As it is, I pay a small mint for good seats, pit pass, and a garage tour for both Xfinity and Cup because my girl is a die-hard fan of the 24 and now Chase Elliott. Meanwhile I want to take a nap in the seats because that race sucks.

Which is probably why I do NHRA yearly myself which is far cheaper, and in my opinion, far better than Nascar (at least in California). I would't pass up an opportunity to go to Bristol for Nascar (but really they fucked that track up too and its no longer what it once was - sell out crowds).

JayBreww

Reaction score
That was a black day, and now, 21 years later, Greg is still mourned by all who knew him and many who didn't.

While it's never been a public focus, I believe Greg's decision to race the day after a scooter crash in the garage area was the proximate cause of his death. He suffered a badly bruised hip, and more significantly, a deep cut to a finger on his right hand that required fourteen stitches. He was also given a large amount of Lidocaine by injection directly into his fingers just before the race began.

Wheeling an IndyCar requires much more effort than driving a Cup car. The open wheel cars don't have power steering, and the lock to lock range is shorter, meaning the steering is quicker than their NASCAR counterparts.

While no one will ever know for certain, I believe Greg's injury affected his ability to steer the car, and his normal reaction and instantaneous corrections to a loose condition in the car was compromised. His death on live TV was a horrible event.

As someone who has worked as a crewman at the pinnacle of motorsports that is open wheel racing, to this day I marvel at the strength displayed by his teammates when they lined up two by two and marched out onto the pit lane to tear down the pit after they knew Greg was gone. Surely that was the most difficult task those men had ever faced.

We all miss Greg.

Rest easy, Champ.

My parents have a spot along the back stretch. His car came to rest right behind their RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
It would be a bummer to lose the infield course. So much fun!
Here's a couple vids from back in the day when you had to mount the whole camcorder to your bike. :D

Jump to 3:10...

Top of the line retro bike circa 2002

zrx pp.jpg

Last edited:

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
I live in La Verne right by the drag strip and I love when the drags are in town 🤷‍♂️

X Hoser

Reaction score
It would be a bummer to lose the infield course. So much fun!
Here's a couple vids from back in the day when you had to mount the whole camcorder to your bike. :D

Jump to 3:10...

Top of the line retro bike circa 2002

View attachment 920966
Auto Club Speedway is one of the most utilized tracks NASCAR owns. I'm sure they will incorporate an auto road course and motorcycle road course in the design. It would be a big mistake not to! At least with the paperclip track there should be much more room for RV parking at the races.

wzuber

Reaction score
I agree, I live in Claremont....
howdy neighbor! you can probably tell which lane won from your house by the sound. haha
I'm sure for those residents that are just on the north side of arrow hwy. it gets tiresome pretty fast. I bet the vibration throughout the house when the alchi's and fuelers run off gets to be the most annoying aspect. I guess those haters will be thankful of covid this year, they just better not get used to it. lol