WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Auto club Speedway is converting to a short track?

sirbob

Reaction score
EA5A2193-50EE-4E9D-92A4-D94D74841FB8.png

DUN

Reaction score
The track desperately needs a repave - which would pretty much ensure destroying the racing product for a decade, and there is a large push among stock car fans to add more short tracks to the calender. Kind of two birds, one stone..

I've hit probably 15 Cup races at ACS and I'm excited about this news, especially when 90% of any NASCAR-related news is usually disappointing as hell.

X Hoser

Reaction score
The drivers actually like the traction of the old surface and can run any line they want. I think it would have been re-banked and resurfaced years ago if the drivers were behind it. Now for the Indy drivers, a different story!

Cdog

Reaction score
I’ll be there racing for the FE2 Scca championship November 14-15 if any of you would like to see some real racing. I’m currently in the lead by 8 points.

Maybe RDP can pitch in for a set of tires & I’ll run the RDP FE2??? Party at the track. Plenty of room for trailers

CED64FD9-A839-4E44-9637-1434183A2511.jpeg

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Wife and I have been to that track 4 times and never again. It's the most boring track on the circuit.

Come see a road race there from the infield November 14-15th.

77charger

Reaction score
Its actually had pretty good racing the past 4 years or so that old surface makes alot of lines for drivers and tears tires up too.Before it was boringand any track repave kills the racing til it wears.

BUt who knows the future of big events in ca IMO it will be years before they allow things to get semi normal there.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Went to a Bristol night race when we lived in Atl. IMO they should do a complete knock off of that track. It was a blast to be able to see the majority of the race. Best track I’ve been to.
Same here!!! We went to the night race maybe 12 years ago and took in ALL the festivities of the week. If it had ANYTHING to do with nascar we did it. I bought a TOTAL package, except air fare and could see once we got back there it was a very wise. What an experience!!!! We have never seen so many people in such a small space ever. Butt cheek to butt cheek but was worth every penny we spent. Carl Edwards won Sat. night. We liked Homestead also.

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
Same here!!! We went to the night race maybe 12 years ago and took in ALL the festivities of the week. If it had ANYTHING to do with nascar we did it. I bought a TOTAL package, except air fare and could see once we got back there it was a very wise. What an experience!!!! We have never seen so many people in such a small space ever. Butt cheek to butt cheek but was worth every penny we spent. Carl Edwards won Sat. night. We liked Homestead also.
Didn’t try Homestead. Did quite a few when my youngest was into it. Hit the West coast boring tracks and those within reasonable driving from Atl. Bristol was the only one I’d try to get back to. If they did something similar in Fontana I might check it out. That’s once all sports are back playing again that is.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’ll be there racing for the FE2 Scca championship November 14-15 if any of you would like to see some real racing. I’m currently in the lead by 8 points.

Maybe RDP can pitch in for a set of tires & I’ll run the RDP FE2??? Party at the track. Plenty of room for trailers

I’ll see if I can make that.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
make it a figure 8, and I’ll accept a free ticket

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I can always use a hand in the pits. More than welcome

Yea I can absolutely help. I can’t confirm attendance for sure yet, but I will be able to in a few weeks.

I’ll be lucky if I make it through the weekend without buying a car for myself.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I am all for it, nascar has gotten too far from "rubbin is racing" nothing like the beating and banging of a true short track. The winner should NOT have all his sheet-metal attached! One of the few tracks owned by nascar, they will either sell or lease about 600 extra acres of the property for development. Its a win/ win in my book.

Who remembers Terry Labonte getting the bumper from Dale earnhardt on the last lap at Bristol?

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I am all for it, nascar has gotten too far from "rubbin is racing" nothing like the beating and banging of a true short track. The winner should NOT have all his sheet-metal attached! One of the few tracks owned by nascar, they will either sell or lease about 600 extra acres of the property for development. Its a win/ win in my book.

Who remembers Terry Labonte getting the bumper from Dale earnhardt on the last lap at Bristol?
I do, I Do. I was watching it from a hotel room in La Grande Or. We were over there from the Coast spotting Elk for the coming season. " Just wanted to rattle his cage"

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Wife and I have been to that track 4 times and never again. It's the most boring track on the circuit.
Exactly. When I used to watch NASCAR, that was one of, if not the, only race I had absolutely zero interest in watching.

wzuber

Reaction score
Yea I can absolutely help. I can’t confirm attendance for sure yet, but I will be able to in a few weeks.

I’ll be lucky if I make it through the weekend without buying a car for myself.
Sounds lika win-win deal to me.

rcmike

Reaction score
So, they are planning a high banked Martinsville.. It will be good for nothing after the first year when the racing sucks. Amazon will own the land in 2 years..

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 12.11.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 12.12.18 AM.png

rrrr

Reaction score
The drivers actually like the traction of the old surface and can run any line they want. I think it would have been re-banked and resurfaced years ago if the drivers were behind it. Now for the Indy drivers, a different story!

We last ran there in 2015, it was a helluva good race with lots of passing and some big clackers driving. I knew that was the end afterwards, and sure as shit IndyCar management said it was too dangerous to run there again.

I've watched the last couple of NASCAR races there, and the bumps have gotten so bad there's no way IndyCar could run the track even if they wanted to.

76sanger

Reaction score
I think it will make for some good racing! Banging and beating the crap out of the cars. Question I have is, what is happening with the other 600 acres? I've been saying for years that they should build a NHRA track up there. Shut down Pomona and run the winter nats and the finals there.
Pomona is a dilapidated old shit hole. Does it have history? Yes. But that's all that is there, the seating sucks, the pits are the pits.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
How about a track with some right turns too, and use real “stock” cars not these modified, tube frame, everybody’s car is the same BS.

HCP3

Reaction score
So, they are planning a high banked Martinsville.. It will be good for nothing after the first year when the racing sucks. Amazon will own the land in 2 years..

View attachment 920713

View attachment 920714

Judging by the new layout, they would be crazy not to develop the rest of the propery into an industrial/distribution complex. There will be a lot of open space.

Sandlord

Reaction score
The Roval has been pretty popular where they’ve tried it.
I would rather see Ontario turned in to a permanent Roval with wide lanes and banking.
Like those slot car tracks we all had as kids. It would be great for bikes as well.

wzuber

Reaction score
How about adding a drag race track as well...
They have one, it's on the north west end of the facility. It's a smaller space for local race type events, not NHRA type events. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Pomona shutting down and moving to this site. The residents local to Pomona complain constantly about the noise from the track. I can hear the fuelers faintly from my house in Diamond bar and I'm about 5 miles away and the sound is projected in the opposite direction from my locale.

Cdog

Reaction score
Just let me know what I need to do far as getting In the pits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoot me a pm with your name & number. When registration opens I’ll add you to my crew list

pixrthis

Reaction score
I don’t know why anybody building a track would build anything other than another Bristol Motor Speedway. It’s the most exciting paved track in history, they’ve converted it to dirt for sprint cars before, and they pack in the people in that place.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I don’t know why anybody building a track would build anything other than another Bristol Motor Speedway. It’s the most exciting paved track in history, they’ve converted it to dirt for sprint cars before, and they pack in the people in that place.

Night race at Bristol, top ten on my bucket list!

X Hoser

Reaction score
We last ran there in 2015, it was a helluva good race with lots of passing and some big clackers driving. I knew that was the end afterwards, and sure as shit IndyCar management said it was too dangerous to run there again.

I've watched the last couple of NASCAR races there, and the bumps have gotten so bad there's no way IndyCar could run the track even if they wanted to.
Some of the highest lap speeds by Indy Cars were recorded on this track. Somewhere in the 240 mph mark I believe. The drivers claimed the bumps and the seam repairs made for a rough and slippery ride. Besides that it just didn't have the support of the Southern California (Inland Empire) crowd. They much preferred Long Beach to ACS.

parker guy

Reaction score
They have one, it's on the north west end of the facility. It's a smaller space for local race type events, not NHRA type events. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of Pomona shutting down and moving to this site. The residents local to Pomona complain constantly about the noise from the track. I can hear the fuelers faintly from my house in Diamond bar and I'm about 5 miles away and the sound is projected in the opposite direction from my locale.
I agree, I live in Claremont....

rrrr

Reaction score
Some of the highest lap speeds by Indy Cars were recorded on this track. Somewhere in the 240 mph mark I believe.

In 2000, Gil de Ferran put down a qualifying lap of 241.428 in a Honda powered Reynard. In 2003 I spoke with him about it after the race in the Honda hospitality garden. It was pretty cool listening to the man that held the all time closed course speed record tell the story.

Here's a video of the run:

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
In 2000, Gil de Ferran put down a qualifying lap of 241.428 in a Honda powered Reynard. In 2003 I spoke with him about it after the race in the Honda hospitality garden. It was pretty cool listening to the man that held the all time closed course speed record tell the story.

Here's a video of the run:

I was there for that. Awesome to see!

Cobalt232

Reaction score

Best race we ever saw there was an Indycar race. Worst race we ever saw there as well with Greg Moore's death.

rrrr

Reaction score
Best race we ever saw there was an Indycar race. Worst race we ever saw there as well with Greg Moore's death.

That was a black day, and now, 21 years later, Greg is still mourned by all who knew him and many who didn't.

While it's never been a public focus, I believe Greg's decision to race the day after a scooter crash in the garage area was the proximate cause of his death. He suffered a badly bruised hip, and more significantly, a deep cut to a finger on his right hand that required fourteen stitches. He was also given a large amount of Lidocaine by injection directly into his fingers just before the race began.

Wheeling an IndyCar requires much more effort than driving a Cup car. The open wheel cars don't have power steering, and the lock to lock range is shorter, meaning the steering is quicker than their NASCAR counterparts.

While no one will ever know for certain, I believe Greg's injury affected his ability to steer the car, and his normal reaction and instantaneous corrections to a loose condition in the car was compromised. His death on live TV was a horrible event.

As someone who has worked as a crewman at the pinnacle of motorsports that is open wheel racing, to this day I marvel at the strength displayed by his teammates when they lined up two by two and marched out onto the pit lane to tear down the pit after they knew Greg was gone. Surely that was the most difficult task those men had ever faced.

We all miss Greg.

Rest easy, Champ.

X Hoser

Reaction score
And for the years that followed the other drivers doing donuts in the run off area off the back straight in his honor/remeberance always brought a tear to my eye.

sirbob

Reaction score
That was a black day, and now, 21 years later, Greg is still mourned by all who knew him and many who didn't.

While it's never been a public focus, I believe Greg's decision to race the day after a scooter crash in the garage area was the proximate cause of his death. He suffered a badly bruised hip, and more significantly, a deep cut to a finger on his right hand that required fourteen stitches. He was also given a large amount of Lidocaine by injection directly into his fingers just before the race began.

Wheeling an IndyCar requires much more effort than driving a Cup car. The open wheel cars don't have power steering, and the lock to lock range is shorter, meaning the steering is quicker than their NASCAR counterparts.

While no one will ever know for certain, I believe Greg's injury affected his ability to steer the car, and his normal reaction and instantaneous corrections to a loose condition in the car was compromised. His death on live TV was a horrible event.

As someone who has worked as a crewman at the pinnacle of motorsports that is open wheel racing, to this day I marvel at the strength displayed by his teammates when they lined up two by two and marched out onto the pit lane to tear down the pit after they knew Greg was gone. Surely that was the most difficult task those men had ever faced.

We all miss Greg.

Rest easy, Champ.

Troy painted this one back in the day - I still run a version of his helmet...

68269BC1-0FDB-4399-B499-E6CB7874AB9D.jpeg