WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone Getting Dental Work In Mexico

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
I don't need any major work done, just a new denture and maybe some fillings. Looking for options.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The costs here in CA have come down a lot. The drive time and risk no longer worth it. Dad has a good friend whose Dentist is in Mexico. 10 years no problems until last trip. Got a infection that went to his heart. Still not recovered from it. They did not prescribe antibiotics like they should have.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes ...

Still on the fence, friends in Phoenix go to a place just south of Yuma and swear by it. Haven't crossed the border by vehicle yet, not sure what to expect.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
My mom and dad do not have dental insurance, they go to USC to get work done to there mouths. The dental work is done by 4 th year students.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Wasn't it BoatsnToys wife who had a lot of dental work done south of boarder with really nice results?
My B-I-L had work done in Los Algodones with no issues either.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Still on the fence, friends in Phoenix go to a place just south of Yuma and swear by it. Haven't crossed the border by vehicle yet, not sure what to expect.
Los Algodones

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Dad swore by it as well. At least 10 years going to same guy. His mutual friend Oscar's buddy he is another Doctor that works with my Dad here. They would carpool down and always telling me to go with them. Last trip got him. The difference in price is about half where it used to be a third.

I will ad I had some bad Dental work done here in CA years ago. Brother same deal from same Dentist. It could happen here or Mexico. Damn near killed me with a infection from a root canal. Fought His insurance for years and got nothing had to foot the bill myself. Now I have a great Dentist I have been going to last few years. I don't even ask for a price just pay as it is well worth whatever She charges me.

TCAL25

Reaction score
Both my mothers neighbors in Coronado, CA walk over the border for dental work. ( both have insurance through their US employers Wells/JP Morgan and choose to go to TJ)

They are happy with the work received, price paid, and end result. Both have nice smiles to boot.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Don't.

I have seen way too many people having too shell out 20k+ to fix thier mouths after they saved a grand.

bigdawgmini

Reaction score
I can think of a 100 ways to save money in life and Mexican Dentistry isn't on the list. :D

I check 200 ways and 300 ways and its not on those lists either
THIS^^^^^^^^^^

My girl works for an oral surgeon and has for decades, I cannot tell you how many stories I heard about this...sure some good most BAD...Had a close friend spend 10k plus down there recently, 20k here to fix..just my 02

Last edited:

MrsVP

Reaction score
I contemplated it, after visiting a dentist here in the desert and about had a damn heart attack at my estimate.

I ended up going to Parker Family Dental, seriously, they are the absolute best. I'd check them out first. Plus you can get a river trip out of it.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Some anti biotics are available over the counter in Mexico that are not available here in the States without a script. That could be one reason they don't prescribe them. But it doesn't hurt to ask the Dentist to write a script if you are worried about it.

My Veterinarian in Mexico is top notch!.. all the hunters in my group use her for the bird dogs at a fraction of the cost of US animal doctors...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My buddy goes across south of Tucson for dental and hair plugs or whatever he’s doing for his hair loss.
He’s always going on about how I need to go with him.
I don’t think so. I’ve got insurance and still have hair so...

I think he just goes for the hookers truthfully.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My buddy goes across south of Tucson for dental and hair plugs or whatever he’s doing for his hair loss.

LOL:D

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

If you are going to Algodones... no need to drive over. There is a huge parking lot on the USA side and all the Dr's are walking distance. Hit the taco stand on Av. B across from the Park if your teeth can handle it!

K-DOG

Reaction score
Algodones is very popular for dentists, optometrists and pharmacies. In the winter when the snowbirds are in town the place is packed with them getting stuff done.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Algodones is very popular for dentists, optometrists and pharmacies. In the winter when the snowbirds are in town the place is packed with them getting stuff done.

Plan carefully... I have literally seen the cars backup up 3-4 miles on to the I-8 during the winter time with all the snowbirds heading to Algondones. Probably best to avoid the early morning hours right after the Social Security checks clear on the first of the month.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Plan carefully... I have literally seen the cars backup up 3-4 miles on to the I-8 during the winter time with all the snowbirds heading to Algondones. Probably best to avoid the early morning hours right after the Social Security checks clear on the first of the month.

3rd of the month. ;)

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
0D749119-A390-462C-8C58-83849B841464.gif

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I have taken people to the dentists in Algodones, most buildings are top notch, clean and the dentists are usually white. Most are UCLA or USC grads. I would try to schedule soon, as once the snowbirds from Canada get here it is busy. According to my Canadian customers it takes so long for socialized medicine appointments in Canada they go to Mexico instead. Some of my employees children have gone to orthodontists their and have beautiful straight teeth.

Since Obama care, I walk across the border for my prescriptions. Can buy medicine for less than my copay here in the U.S.

CoreyD

Reaction score
I correct and repair botched dentistry from everywhere, including the US, Germany, Switzerland, Canada, etc. but Mexico is the last place I would go for dentistry. The cost savings are not worth it, because you will need the work repaired or replaced soon after...if you can salvage the work or even save the teeth. You might feel like everything is good, but your health/dental situation could be a ticking time bomb with catastrophic consequences. Who wants to gamble?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have taken people to the dentists in Algodones, most buildings are top notch, clean and the dentists are usually white. Most are UCLA or USC grads. I would try to schedule soon, as once the snowbirds from Canada get here it is busy. According to my Canadian customers it takes so long for socialized medicine appointments in Canada they go to Mexico instead. Some of my employees children have gone to orthodontists their and have beautiful straight teeth.

Since Obama care, I walk across the border for my prescriptions. Can buy medicine for less than my copay here in the U.S.
So that begs the question, if you graduated from a big school, why are you not a dentist in America?

I can only come up with 3 reason.

1 you are not a citz/green card( then why the hell did you go to a big name school in the us?)
2 you lost your license
3 you have some criminal background that will not let you get a license.

Sure sounds like some one I want too go see.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
So that begs the question, if you graduated from a big school, why are you not a dentist in America?

1 you are not a citz/green card( then why the hell did you go to a big name school in the us?)
2 you lost your license

Taxes.... Regulations... politics
The oncologist that was treating my dad's cancer was based at the university of texas md anderson cancer center and would fly back and forth to Veracruz to do so.
That was after almost a year of having Kaiser LA giving him the run around about him being OK and nothing being wrong lol. Fucking fools.

There are more Dr's and dentists based in the US that practice in Mexico than you realize

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Taxes is not it( at least not legally), as soon as you bring any money back you have too pay taxes on them. Unless you are a foreign company, in Mexico that means having a Mexican business partner... seen that go south way too much.

The regulations I can understand, the politics is questionable in mexico.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Mexican-based physicians are also a cash business, no need to hire a staff of people to bill insurance companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Taxes is not it( at least not legally), as soon as you bring any money back you have too pay taxes on them. Unless you are a foreign company, in Mexico that means having a Mexican business partner... seen that go south way too much.

The regulations I can understand, the politics is questionable in mexico.

This isn't Pleasantville lol
It would be foolish to think medical professionals don't want to be taxed at the rate that they are. And it's technically not tax evasion if you don't bring it back in. I have a friend that's a crna that goes to Mexico and does this. Every couple of months, he heads down to Guadalajara and Mérida to provide his services. Gets paid in cash and uses that as travel money. Kid is on his way to Amsterdam as we speak.

The level of care is also personalized when cash is king. You don't have to deal with internal politics like you would here in the US. Politics and regulations or lack there of play a big part on why people go to Mexico to get stuff done.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score

2 you lost your license

US does not acknowledge all schooling, post grad, licensing, etc from all countries, for good reason. It varies per country. I Met a nice dentist who sought asylum here legally (maybe from el salvador?) None of his schooling was acknowledged here, he said he had the equivalent to HS diploma when arriving.

Turns out after speaking with him, all he really did was extractions. No restorations, whether direct or indirect. Just extract all day because of demand and economics. Nice guy, but fuck that.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score

So your saying I should go solo? :D

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I have taken multiple people to Los Algodones for dental work including my son, wife and self. Parents are all self employed and they even go. Way cheaper, and great work. Most of the dentists that work there actually live in Yuma AZ and commute. Great little community.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
First time I went was with my son. Local Yuma dentist said he had 12 cavities. They would cost between $75-150 each after insurance. So around $1200 out of pocket. We went to a recommended place and was told he had none. They went over his whole mouth and told me the other dentist was a crock. I couldn't even talk them into taking money we thought we were going to have to spend. Ended up enjoying tacos and beer and coming home. Later when we did go back got cavities filled, mouth guard done, and more and then submitted to insurance and the covered the entire bill. Really a no brainier.

boblins

Reaction score

Uhh, dental not covered in Canada by govt insurance and dental costs in Canada are way way higher than US.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
As a USC dentist, the only reason I would work in Mexico would be to volunteer and do FREE work on the poor kids and families that are in need.
If you're a USC dentist, the entire medical department at the school is questionable...not slighting you, but damn! That department is gonna cost the whole school $$$$$$$$$$$. It meant they couldn't fire the football staff lol

TCHB

Reaction score
I had a new crown put on and it went great. Lifetime warranty and about 30% the cost. I know a lot of people here in Havasu that use the same dentist.