WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Annual reminder…if you ride a motorcycle…be careful

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
That's rough. I had a tibial plateau fracture about 6 weeks ago (mountain biking) and am still recovering. Another 7 weeks before I can put any weight on it. At least I have one good leg left...I can't imagine both of them being out of service along with the other injuries you mentioned.

Hopefully her knee joints weren't disturbed and the bones didn't break in a location where weight bearing after a regular healing time is a big concern. Where the breaks are might mean a shorter recovery time of around 8 weeks after surgery. My particular situation requires 12 and I hope she isn't in the same spot. It sucks.

She's definitely going to need a ton of help when she finally gets home and it's probably going to wear on you. I do everything I possibly can by myself because I'm stubborn but my wife still has to do a lot. Making all the meals, doing all the dishes, getting my wheelchair in and out of the car, helping me in and out of the shower, fixing stuff I would usually fix with me sitting there telling her how, general maintenance around the house, etc, etc, etc.

The good news for you is you can cash in all that help later for sexual favors when she's better. At least that's what my wife says her plan is when I'm better...😄

Lumpy

Reaction score
I live in Arroyo Grande…if anything I can do let me know.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
I'm curious how Kaiser handles out of network hospital / surgery? It has crossed my mind when on a Motorcycle trip in Oregon or out of socal.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I'm curious how Kaiser handles out of network hospital / surgery? It has crossed my mind when on a Motorcycle trip in Oregon or out of socal.
So far, very well.

ER god her stabilized without any sort of authorization that I’m aware of, then contacted Kaiser with their plan of action. The initial surgery went till about 2AM on Sunday….kaiser on Monday morning authorized them to perform the other 2 surgeries and start PT. There was no transfer request as of this morning, so they continued PT, got her in a wheelchair and outside for a bit…her first time out of bed in over a week. They’ll pay for everything, it’ll cost us our co-pay. ($350 or so)

When my toe got ripped off after I got hit by a car, they took me to Long Beach Memorial and Kaiser let them do everything, even though I could have literally driven myself to Kaiser, it cost me my copay.

The only thing that came back to me was a couple hundred dollars for the $2800 (2 mile) ambulance ride that I didn’t want in the first place…Kaiser handled about $2500 of that IIRC.

The followup copays are gonna add up for sure, but honestly, a fuckup like this shouldn’t be free. I have no problem with the way it’s being handled.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread until now. Those are awful injuries, and no doubt she is hurting. I hope that moderates soon and that you can handle this without too much stress. My best wishes to you both.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
She’s doing amazing….and I hate that word.

PT is going great, she’s off the morphine and the delaudid all together and waiting on the logistics to come together for a transfer closer to home.

Still a long road ahead.

Her goal is to be there for our son’s first day of school on the 19th. While i’m pretty sure that ain’t gonna happen, she’s proved me wrong before and I imagine she’ll do it again. I’m encouraging her as best I can. She’s busting her ass in PT.

Edit: She was able to get in a wheelchair on Monday and they took her outside for the first time in a week. I think that gave her a kick in the ass, and me too. I’ve actually slept the last few nights…and woke up rested this morning, which hasn’t happened in a week or so. Got some work done this week.

A few of her friends came over Monday to make sure none of her wine went bad…gave her a call and I think that helped immensely. If she fucks around too long, there will be no wine left when she gets home lol

It’s a relief to see her making headway rather than just laying there and trying to guess what’s gonna happen next, especially when I’m 180 miles away and can’t really do shit to help, even though I’m not sure what I’d do if I was there.

We’re on the good side now I think.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
She’s doing amazing….and I hate that word.

PT is going great, she’s off the morphine and the delaudid all together and waiting on the logistics to come together for a transfer closer to home.

Still a long road ahead.

Her goal is to be there for our son’s first day of school on the 19th. While i’m pretty sure that ain’t gonna happen, she’s proved me wrong before and I imagine she’ll do it again. I’m encouraging her as best I can. She’s busting her ass in PT.

Edit: She was able to get in a wheelchair on Monday and they took her outside for the first time in a week. I think that gave her a kick in the ass, and me too. I’ve actually slept the last few nights…and woke up rested this morning, which hasn’t happened in a week or so. Got some work done this week.

A few of her friends came over Monday to make sure none her wine went bad…gave her a call and I think that helped immensely. If she fucks around too long, there will be no wine left when she gets home lol

It’s a relief to see her making headway rather than just laying there and trying to guess what’s gonna happen next, especially when I’m 180 miles away and can’t really do shit to help, even though I’m not sure what I’d do if I was there.

We’re on the good side now I think.
Being off the Dilaudid or Morphine alone will help with her state of mind. Sure, it takes away the pain, but like living in a cotton ball, a weird funk. Getting outside is huge also. Just leaving the same four walls of the room, breaking that monotony, is a welcome thing. Feeling the sunlight makes you feel solar powered.

If her spirits rise, it helps things heal. I don't understand it, but it seems to be true. Also, if her spirits rise, so do yours, and that helps you get some rest and calm you as well.

Life sure as hell ain't easy. Nothing worthwhile comes easy either. I'm glad there is improvement, it's a start down the right path.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Also, was able to see a copy of the police report today. I reached out to the other party who’s truck is a bit fucked up…98is ram 2500, needs a drivers bedside and door maybe. I feel we’re responsible for handling that, so he’s gonna call me in the morning. Could left it alone but that’s kinda not right.

He also mentioned going through his trauma kit to see what supplies were used…which is a bit dickish, but that also means he grabbed it, knew what to do, and was the one to administer first aid within seconds….might have saved her life, so I’ll be working with him to make it as right as I can.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Also, was able to see a copy of the police report today. I reached out to the other party who’s truck is a bit fucked up…98is ram 2500, needs a drivers bedside and door maybe. I feel we’re responsible for handling that, so he’s gonna call me in the morning. Could left it alone but that’s kinda not right.

He also mentioned going through his trauma kit to see what supplies were used…which is a bit dickish, but that also means he grabbed it, knew what to do, and was the one to administer first aid within seconds….might have saved her life, so I’ll be working with him to make it as right as I can.
In the grand scheme of things, it's "only" money. I don't say that lightly. The past few years have taught me something about it though. Money comes and goes (really F'n fast), but your family, by blood, marriage or friendship, those you only get one chance with.

If you run into a bind, and need a door or bedskin, truck crap I can find. Let me know.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, it's "only" money. I don't say that lightly. The past few years have taught me something about it though. Money comes and goes (really F'n fast), but your family, by blood, marriage or friendship, those you only get one chance with.

If you run into a bind, and need a door or bedskin, truck crap I can find. Let me know.
It ain't about the money for me....I'll spend it until I run out making everyone whole and taking care of what needs to be taken care of....then I'll just have to make more.

That's what money is for.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
They will bite you in a hurry. Waiting for the day my 15 year old takes her digger on her Surron. Done the femur and 13 other broken bones in my motorcross days. My daughter gets it.

Hope your wife heals quick. Even dropping a deuce was a bitch when I broke mine. It’s a slow process.

View attachment 1409507
Hate to be that guy, but get the kid some fucking boots and gear. ATGATT is probably why I've managed not to get too fucked up.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Hate to be that guy, but get the kid some fucking boots and gear. ATGATT is probably why I've managed not to get too fucked up.

She has all the gear. We were just messing around in the campsite. That’s also when the injustices occur too I suppose lol

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
She has all the gear. We were just messing around in the campsite. That’s also when the injustices occur too I suppose lol
That’s exactly how this particular incident happened.

Just think… “hey Dad, can I ride around camp real quick without putting all my gear on?”

Sure honey…just take it easy

And then….

It would kick your ass.

I’m no saint and I’m guilty of it to….but I’ve learned that the more you prepare, the less bad will happen.

Misslbhsbz

I approve this & lbhsbz message!
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thought I'd chime in on this since I'm the one laid up and don't have much else to do at 7:30 in the morning right now lol. Ignore the typos please I'm on my phone and don't feel like proof reading. As LBHSBZ said I fucked up, I was stupid and decided to take a quick ride up the street on an e dirt bike without gear and it was really fun....until it wasn't. You all know what came of that. I'm now currently in a rehab facility in Tustin, CA so lots closer to home which is great. Been here since Saturday and have 3 hours divided between OT and PT 5 days a week(6 if I can talk them into it). I'm keeping my spirits high and staying positive and smiling as much as I can through all this bc being angry and yelling and being a bitch isn't going to help anyone or anything. It's been proven that being happy helps with healing and honestly lbhsbz can vouche that I'm that annoying person who finds the silver lining in EVERY situation lol. I'm officially off all narcotics including the oxycodone I was taking here and now on RX ibuprofen, gabapentin, and a muscle relaxer for pain. The oxy wasn't giving me enough relief and I was just staying at a 7 or so on the pain scale but with the ibuprofen I'm at a 3 or so. I'm currently on 20lbs weight bearing on my right leg and my left leg needs to stay straight for another 6ish weeks to finish healing the fused together knee cap. Realistically were looking at at a minimum 4 months before I'm walking and at least 6ish I'm somewhat normal. As Pat mentioned as well my goal is to be at our son's first day of high school I've told that to everyone here and they say that a great goal so we'll see where it leads. But thanks to my high pain tolerance and will to bust my ass(figuratively since I'm already broken) in PT to at least get my right leg strong enough to help wheel me around I'm hoping I can make it.
Pat has been an awesome support through all this and I now it's hard for him bc he can't fix it but he's doing what he can and I love him for it!
With all that said I'm going to eat my blueberry waffles and Bacon that just showed up and gear myself up for some awesome PT pain and keep on being positive through it all. Always remember being negative won't help anyone! Keep on smiling everybody!!!

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thought I'd chime in on this since I'm the one laid up and don't have much else to do at 7:30 in the morning right now lol. Ignore the typos please I'm on my phone and don't feel like proof reading. As LBHSBZ said I fucked up, I was stupid and decided to take a quick ride up the street on an e dirt bike without gear and it was really fun....until it wasn't. You all know what came of that. I'm now currently in a rehab facility in Tustin, CA so lots closer to home which is great. Been here since Saturday and have 3 hours divided between OT and PT 5 days a week(6 if I can talk them into it). I'm keeping my spirits high and staying positive and smiling as much as I can through all this bc being angry and yelling and being a bitch isn't going to help anyone or anything. It's been proven that being happy helps with healing and honestly lbhsbz can vouche that I'm that annoying person who finds the silver lining in EVERY situation lol. I'm officially off all narcotics including the oxycodone I was taking here and now on RX ibuprofen, gabapentin, and a muscle relaxer for pain. The oxy wasn't giving me enough relief and I was just staying at a 7 or so on the pain scale but with the ibuprofen I'm at a 3 or so. I'm currently on 20lbs weight bearing on my right leg and my left leg needs to stay straight for another 6ish weeks to finish healing the fused together knee cap. Realistically were looking at at a minimum 4 months before I'm walking and at least 6ish I'm somewhat normal. As Pat mentioned as well my goal is to be at our son's first day of high school I've told that to everyone here and they say that a great goal so we'll see where it leads. But thanks to my high pain tolerance and will to bust my ass(figuratively since I'm already broken) in PT to at least get my right leg strong enough to help wheel me around I'm hoping I can make it.
Pat has been an awesome support through all this and I now it's hard for him bc he can't fix it but he's doing what he can and I love him for it!
With all that said I'm going to eat my blueberry waffles Bacon that just and gear myself up for some awesome PT pain and keep on being positive through it all. Always remember being negative won't help anyone! Keep on smiling everybody!!!
Mornin’ beautiful

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
Mornin’ beautiful
Morning Babe! We're going to make them all sick on here if we keep this up lol

And I should've said in my long post that I still don't have anything against motorcycles. They're LOTS of fun! Just definitely ALWAYS be careful and ALWAYS wear all of the gear before riding!!!

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
I stopped by last night to help come up with a bathroom plan. To try and help make life easier at your house. Hope you heal up quickly @Misslbhsbz .
Thanks for that Nic! I'm getting ready to call Pat now so I'm sure I'll hear all about it lol just need something that can accommodate my long ass leg(s) hamging off a wheelchair for awhile 😜

mbrown2

Reaction score
With all that said I'm going to eat my blueberry waffles and Bacon that just showed up and gear myself up for some awesome PT pain and keep on being positive through it all. Always remember being negative won't help anyone! Keep on smiling everybody!!!
Wish you the best in your recovery! positive energy is more powerful than most pain drugs..!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Man what a Great attitude. 👍🏼👍🏼

Best of luck to you, you got this!!!

💪👏💪

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I may have spoke too soon here…we’ll see.

She’s supposed to come home tomorrow or Wed, and her case manager ordered her a wheelchair last week through Kaiser. Evidently Kaiser denied it. The same brand/model chair can be had for $200 on Amazon, so I ordered one, but it just seems silly to skip out on a $200 chair after authorizing all the other stuff they have so far.

We’ll see how much of the rest of the bill they try and stick me with. At the end of the day, Kaiser were the ones to authorize everything except the first ambulance ride and the initial emergency surgery, not me, so I’m pretty sure they have no grounds to pin that stuff on me…but we shall see.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

All the best wishes for your recovery!!
With your great attitude and positivity you'll be back to full speed in no time 👍

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I may have spoke too soon here…we’ll see.

She’s supposed to come home tomorrow or Wed, and her case manager ordered her a wheelchair last week through Kaiser. Evidently Kaiser denied it. The same brand/model chair can be had for $200 on Amazon, so I ordered one, but it just seems silly to skip out on a $200 chair after authorizing all the other stuff they have so far.

We’ll see how much of the rest of the bill they try and stick me with. At the end of the day, Kaiser were the ones to authorize everything except the first ambulance ride and the initial emergency surgery, not me, so I’m pretty sure they have no grounds to pin that stuff on me…but we shall see.

Someone screwed up there. I have Kaiser and got a wheelchair approved no problem for my broken Tibia that I'm still recovering from. Even got a hospital bed delivered to the house as well. They have been quick to approve whatever has been requested. With your wife's injuries, there should be no question that a wheelchair is necessary.

If it's worth the follow up, I'd give that case manager a call and see what the deal is.

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
Someone screwed up there. I have Kaiser and got a wheelchair approved no problem for my broken Tibia that I'm still recovering from. Even got a hospital bed delivered to the house as well. They have been quick to approve whatever has been requested. With your wife's injuries, there should be no question that a wheelchair is necessary.

If it's worth the follow up, I'd give that case manager a call and see what the deal is.
I'm going to get in touch with my case manger today hopefully. We of course found out about the denied wheelchair after she was gone for the weekend. I'll have some extra time after 2 today to figure stuff out, before that I have my PT and OT discharge assessments.

And I hope your tibia heals up quick for you!

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I'm going to get in touch with my case manger today hopefully. We of course found out about the denied wheelchair after she was gone for the weekend. I'll have some extra time after 2 today to figure stuff out, before that I have my PT and OT discharge assessments.

And I hope your tibia heals up quick for you!

Yeah, there should be no question on the wheelchair situation. If you haven't already, have them fill out the form to give you a temporary handicap pass while you're still there too. Otherwise you'll have to go back in and get it. Digital signatures are not allowed. You can get the pass at AAA once you have the form.

I hope you heal up quick as well. Not sure if you've read about my deal, but it's been about 8 weeks since my injury happened and I'm another 5 weeks away from being able to start walking. Completely sucks. I got a video the other day of the CT scan that was taken before surgery. Shattered the Tibia at the knee joint. Here's a couple of screen shots...

IMG_6337.jpeg

IMG_6336.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Evidently we don't have the "DME suppliment" on our policy....I never even thought to ask. They've given me a boot/cast thing, and I think Krystal got one too when she screwed up her ankle a while back. No idea, but we'll dive into it later. problem is solved, for now

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Yeah, there should be no question on the wheelchair situation. If you haven't already, have them fill out the form to give you a temporary handicap pass while you're still there too. Otherwise you'll have to go back in and get it. Digital signatures are not allowed. You can get the pass at AAA once you have the form.

I hope you heal up quick as well. Not sure if you've read about my deal, but it's been about 8 weeks since my injury happened and I'm another 5 weeks away from being able to start walking. Completely sucks. I got a video the other day of the CT scan that was taken before surgery. Shattered the Tibia at the knee joint. Here's a couple of screen shots...

View attachment 1415767

View attachment 1415768
We should make arrangements to get you 2 together...you can have races

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
All the best wishes for your recovery!!
With your great attitude and positivity you'll be back to full speed in no time 👍

View attachment 1415767

View attachment 1415768
So lbhsbz already replied with the wheelchair issue. But DAMN that's a crazy break!!! I'll have to go back and try to find your story. I don't have the CT scan yet but here's the breaks in my femurs and you can see the break on the patella as well on the right(which is actually my left knee) and what they did to fix them. Rods, plates, screws if Home Depot ever goes out of business I've got enough hardware to get by for awhile lol
20240721_141228.jpg
3A432488-.jpg
ADB7E1AB-.jpg
Screenshot_20240727_120531_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240727_120508_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

bonesfab

Reaction score
How did you break both femurs?? I mean I sorta understand but damn that took some effort. Hope you get back on your feet soon.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Femurs are some big bones! Hope you heal up quick.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
We should make arrangements to get you 2 together...you can have races

Well, I've had a few weeks to build up my arms with wheelchair bullshit, so you're on. We're already comparing X-rays and hardware, so why not?

So lbhsbz already replied with the wheelchair issue. But DAMN that's a crazy break!!! I'll have to go back and try to find your story. I don't have the CT scan yet but here's the breaks in my femurs and you can see the break on the patella as well on the right(which is actually my left knee) and what they did to fix them. Rods, plates, screws if Home Depot ever goes out of business I've got enough hardware to get by for awhile lol View attachment 1415848 View attachment 1415849 View attachment 1415850 View attachment 1415851 View attachment 1415852

Damn. Both legs is rough. Being on one leg has been an absolute pain in the ass. I can't imagine having both of them out. Maybe the good news is it looks like those breaks might allow weight bearing sooner? I've been told a solid 12 weeks before I can even attempt it...5 weeks to go. How long are they telling you?

I also put a pretty big dent in the inventory on the hardware aisle. I haven't tested it with my metal detector yet, but I do wonder if I will set off the detectors at the airport...ha.

Here's my story if you are bored and want something to read...

One thing this has done is given me new perspective on what those who are permanently disabled have to deal with. It never sunk in for me before because I never had to live it. I will be much more mindful of that from now on.

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
How did you break both femurs?? I mean I sorta understand but damn that took some effort. Hope you get back on your feet soon.
The handle bars of the motorcycle I was riding caught me in the femurs and decided to snap them 😕 and thanks for the well wishes... I'm hanging in there and doing all I can to get back on my feet

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
Well, I've had a few weeks to build up my arms with wheelchair bullshit, so you're on. We're already comparing X-rays and hardware, so why not?

Damn. Both legs is rough. Being on one leg has been an absolute pain in the ass. I can't imagine having both of them out. Maybe the good news is it looks like those breaks might allow weight bearing sooner? I've been told a solid 12 weeks before I can even attempt it...5 weeks to go. How long are they telling you?

I also put a pretty big dent in the inventory on the hardware aisle. I haven't tested it with my metal detector yet, but I do wonder if I will set off the detectors at the airport...ha.

Here's my story if you are bored and want something to read...

One thing this has done is given me new perspective on what those who are permanently disabled have to deal with. It never sunk in for me before because I never had to live it. I will be much more mindful of that from now on.
Give me a little more time before the race since I've only been pushing around for a few days lol

And both legs have been a bitch for sure. I have non weight bearing on my left leg and it has to be kept straight bc of the knee cap fusing back together (that broke too) and 20 lbs on my right as of now so just enough where I can use a board to transfer from bed to wheelchair to whatever else I need to transfer to. I've got my first local Ortho on Thursday so we'll see where I'm at then with the healing stage. It'll be a long road(for us both) but I couldn't agree more about the new found understanding for those who are permanently disabled. This experience has been humbling since 90%of everything we do in life is now not possible or extremely hard.

I'll also get to reading your story here in just a little bit!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you! And hang in there and stay positive!!!

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Give me a little more time before the race since I've only been pushing around for a few days lol

And both legs had been a bitch for sure. I have non weight bearing on my left leg and it has ru be kept straight bc of the knee cap fusing back together (that broke too) and 20 lbs on my right as of now so just enough where I can use a board to transfer from bed to wheelchair to whatever else I need to transfer to. I've got my first local Ortho on Thursday so we'll see where I'm at then with the healing stage. It'll be a long road(for us both) but I couldn't agree more about the new found understanding for those who are permanently disabled. This experience has been humbling since 90%of everything we do in life is more not possible or extremely hard.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you! And hang in there and stay positive!!!
At least you’ve got a cool ramp…lol

IMG_2198.jpeg

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score

And both legs had been a bitch for sure. I have non weight bearing on my left leg and it has ru be kept straight bc of the knee cap fusing back together (that broke too) and 20 lbs on my right as of now so just enough where I can use a board to transfer from bed to wheelchair to whatever else I need to transfer to. I've got my first local Ortho on Thursday so we'll see where I'm at then with the healing stage. It'll be a long road(for us both) but I couldn't agree more about the new found understanding for those who are permanently disabled. This experience has been humbling since 90%of everything we do in life is more not possible or extremely hard.

Best wishes to you as well! Maybe one of these days we can compare scars too...ha.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Also…something I realized this morning as I tried to get outta bed…don’t get in a fight with someone who has spent time in a manual chair. I was wheeling around the house/yard yesterday making sure momma would be able to get everywhere she needed to be…probably spent 45 minutes total. My shoulders and pectoral’s muscles are on fire today. It’s definitely a workout. 3-4 months of that and I’d be able to knock down a block wall I imagine lol

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
Most recent update on my progress....
I'M GOING HOME TODAY!!!! It's been 1 month today since I've been home. The first week of that was great and fun the next 3 not so much lol. Here's to the next chapter of my healing and recovery!!

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Also…something I realized this morning as I tried to get outta bed…don’t get in a fight with someone who has spent time in a manual chair. I was wheeling around the house/yard yesterday making sure momma would be able to get everywhere she needed to be…probably spent 45 minutes total. My shoulders and pectoral’s muscles are on fire today. It’s definitely a workout. 3-4 months of that and I’d be able to knock down a block wall I imagine lol

This is RDP, ain't nobody owning a manual anything.

Milwaukee must have a M18 chair in their offerings.

Or:

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Or:
If I could make that remote controlled…just think of the possibilities.

Misslbhsbz

Reaction score
If I could make that remote controlled…just think of the possibilities.
Nothing with a remote and controlled by you will be going anywhere near my wheelchair! The possibilities do not sound nearly as fun to me as they do to you lol
But the actual power thing would make all this easier if I can keep my legs elevated around it lol

4Waters

Reaction score

Or:
tim-taylor-tool.gif