WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anchors Aweigh !

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I'll stick with my stainless Box Anchor.:)

it looks good to go, but I have no need to change a good thing. Only time my box anchor it let me down was in powell. it sank and wasn't tied to boat, yet. headdown emoji here!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
it looks good to go, but I have no need to change a good thing. Only time my box anchor it let me down was in powell. it sank and wasn't tied to boat, yet. headdown emoji here!

There is one in copper cyn with no rope on it as well. Amazing how the clevis thingy can unwind and back out while sitting in the bilge of a boat. Im still not convinced it wasnt some sort of sabotage by the anchor manufacturers.

River Runnin

Captain Of Havasu’s Coolest Boat
Reaction score
Sorry to say not yet! Been moving, reorganizing, and pretty busy the past few days! Doing rescue next weekend, and will get in touch this week!

... was also thinking if doing a review/test, I’d launch on the strip vs. the lake! — As I been wanting to get on there for some time now! ;-)

milkmoney

Reaction score
Sorry to say not yet! Been moving, reorganizing, and pretty busy the past few days! Doing rescue next weekend, and will get in touch this week!

... was also thinking if doing a review/test, I’d launch on the strip vs. the lake! — As I been wanting to get on there for some time now! ;-)
How far you moving. Your close to the strip.

You coming up to desert storm ...[emoji41][emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The box works in sandy and muddy bottom perfectly, rocky no so much. When it’s rough I can’t get my box to stick either. The bow lifts it up and it moves two more feet.

Not to quote you only, but the issue most people have is letting out 12’ of rope in 10’ of water. On the river in 8-10’ water i let out 25-30’ of rope and have never so much as moved a foot. With current you need 3/1 rope to water and in the lake you need 2/1 from my experience. And I’ve anchored in tons of river areas specially when i was doing a lot of diving.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Danforth works best in sandy bottom with minimum length of chain equal to boat's length & good scope of line, to keep the shank flat on the bottom. Simply, because of its design, the fluke gets pulled deeper and deeper by the boat tugging it. However ,it might get stuck in rocky bottom, especially using it in the ocean. Mushroom type is better for rocky bottom.

Anchored in Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, BVI a few years ago, on a 50 foot Moorings Cat sailboat, with my girlfriend and my buddy and his wife, and the boat next to us had four hot girls on it, and they said their anchor was stuck and they had already lost one anchor and didn’t want to loose their only other anchor.

My buddy and I strapped on the scuba gear and followed their line down, and found it stuck on an old car in 50 feet of water. We freed the anchor and brought it up for them. We partied with them in the beach front bars in Cane Garden Bay for a few nights (Reggae Music and Steel Drums playing all night) and then they followed us around for a week, no more stuck anchors......but a lot of fun sailing the BVI. Danforths are the best “most” of the time.

Last edited:

240Hallett

Reaction score
Anchored in Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, BVI a few years ago, on a 50 foot Moorings Cat sailboat, with my girlfriend and my buddy and his wife, and the boat next to us had four hot girls on it, and they said their anchor was stuck and they had already lost one anchor and didn’t want to loose their only other anchor.

My buddy and I strapped on the scuba gear and followed their line down, and found it stuck on an old car in 50 feet of water. We freed the anchor and brought it up for them. We partied with them in the beach front bars in Cane Garden Bay for a few nights (Reggae Music and Steel Drums playing all night) and then they followed us around for a week, no more stuck anchors......but a lot of fun sailing the BVI. Danforths are the best “most” of the time.
Does Cane Garden Bay have mooring balls or just anchoring or both?

BajaMike

Reaction score

Cane Garden Bay does not have mooring balls last time I was there.....but it is one of the funnest places to stay with the beach bars and music floating through the Bay. It has a sandy bottom but we found out later that they used to dump old cars and trucks in the bay.

Most the places I go have mooring balls, you pay $5 to $10 a night, and they pick up your trash and will deliver supplies. The national (underwater) parks, like the wreck of the Rhône, have moorings for day use, they don’t want you throwing anchors and damaging the underwater life and wrecks.

At Peter Island (private island resort) you can get a slip or mooring ball, a little more expensive, but you will have access to all the restaurants and their really nice beach and other facilities.

On Virgin Gorda most of the resorts (like “Bitter End Yacht Club”) have mooring balls, and like the others, you pay a small fee and have full access to the resort, you charge everything to your boat name, they collect your trash and you pay before you leave. You can use the showers (after 5 days on the boat, you get in the shower on shore and it feels like its moving), beaches, pools and restaurants . Like Peter Island, its paradise.

Last edited:

Tooned Up

Reaction score
And here I thought this was a thread about that McDonald guy...

ColeTR2

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your interest. TriangleAnchor.com is selling the three claw anchors for 175. for boats up to 25' and the 4 claw anchors 200. for boats up to 30'. If you'd like a colored rope and bag +50. plus shipping. We make custom anchors too. The majority of our customers have custom boats and do not want an off the shelf anchor. Here is an anchor we just made for a customer that has a boat painted in an American Flag theme. I'm calling it the MAGA TriangleAnchor.

( Making Anchors Great Again )
IMG_2032.JPG
IMG_2033.JPG

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Here's some advice...put the box anchors away! While the boat was tied to dock for the night at BML(about 12 years ago this happened] We we doing after the day libations and I tripped and fell ass first on my open anchor. Well the pain went from my ass out my eyeballs. Lost my buzz I paid so much for.:D

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Your post reminds me of the time that Greg Fuller threw his brand new box anchor in the river without the line attached. :confused:

Too bad Tyro ain't here to tell the story. :D

View attachment 741381

I did that myself once with a bunch of people on the boat. I just went and grabbed the other one I had and nobody asked what I just did.....lol Friggin ridiculous.....

2Driver

Reaction score

In 2016 they had tons of mooring balls we spent the night. Irma wiped the place off the map. To what degree things have been rebuilt at CGB I don’t know. It’s probably hit and miss like most of BVI. Bitter end was also wiped off the map and I believe they bulldozed it under and are starting from scratch
25A7C806-C10E-4E7D-9A4F-60760707D115.jpeg

Last edited:

240Hallett

Reaction score
In 2016 they had tons of mooring balls we spent the night. Irma wiped the place off the map. To what degree things have been rebuilt at CGB I don’t know. It’s probably hit and miss like most of BVI. Bitter end was also wiped off the map and I believe they bulldozed it under and are starting from scratch
View attachment 748991
They have been rebuilding. One of the restaurants is now hooked up with Pussers. We are going to try to hit one of the full moon parties at one of the restaurant/bars.
Bitter end is still kinda dead…

Brobee

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new anchor. What makes these better than a standard box anchor. Seems like less surface area digging in for more money. Is it just storage size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been completely satisfied with any anchor, other than 3 coffee cans filled with concrete and a U-bolt, attached to a 3 foot chain and rope.. I add a can if the conditions get breezy or the current is strong. Very rarely do I need the 3rd can.

I've lost too many anchors to snags, and cutting the line of a $100-300 anchor would ruin a good boating trip.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I sketched this design out about 10 years ago. That's as far as I went with it.

think if there is a current or stable wind direction it would be great. If the wind shifts, the rig may flip over... But for a river boat, on the river....it should be fine.

ColeTR2

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new anchor. What makes these better than a standard box anchor. Seems like less surface area digging in for more money. Is it just storage size?

#1 There is no springs and pins to set-up which can be frustrating on a rocking boat.
#2 There is no set-up needed just throw it in the water
#3 Takes up 1/2 the space and has the same holding strength.
#4 This also comes with a 50ft rope a $50.00 value and better bag so the Anchor alone is less money.
#5 Made in the USA if that matters to you.

BUSTI

Reaction score
#1 There is no springs and pins to set-up which can be frustrating on a rocking boat.
#2 There is no set-up needed just throw it in the water
#3 Takes up 1/2 the space and has the same holding strength.
#4 This also comes with a 50ft rope a $50.00 value and better bag so the Anchor alone is less money.
#5 Made in the USA if that matters to you.

Does it come in stainless?

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I lost a nice rubber coated anchor years ago just south of the overhead lines near Parker Dam. Pissed me off. Tried everything to get that up.. still there probably. :(

BajaMike

Reaction score
Most lake/river boaters don’t use enough scope (ratio of depth to length of rode, or line plus chain) on their anchors. In the ocean the default rule is 7:1. 10 feet of water, 70 feet of rode.

In calm lakes obviously you can use less, but it should always be at least 3:1.

The concept is to have the boat tugging the anchor laterally (which is why even a few feet of chain helps) and digging deeper, instead of the boat pulling the anchor up, like it does if your boat is right over the anchor.