WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

496 service

fishing fool

Reaction score
After reading another thread about oil change I have been thinking about this.

I bought a 2007 boat 2 months ago with only 20 hours on it. Took it to Elminator to look at something else and ended up with a 20 hour service (nothing had been touched since new). The next service is at 40 hours which I am at now (took the boat out twice).
My question is do I really need the whole "40 hour service" or just change oil and impeller?

Boat 2007 Elminator 220 Eagle XP 406 mag

Thanks

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
One suggestion I have for you is to get the boat wet more :)

69 1/2

Reaction score
If they took the drive off at 20 hrs. to align it and service the gimble bearing you should be good with an oil change, impeller and drive oil change.

I am a big fan of pulling the drive at 20-40 hrs. Things settle in the boat and the alignment is often off. If you wipe out a coupler from the alignment being out you have to pull the motor to change it. I have also seen bellows leak on new drives and take out u-joints in short order.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Did not take the drive off at 20 houre service. I think the tech said that would come at the 100 hour service.
I may be cheap but can not see spending another $400.00 for service with only 20 more hours.

FLATS ONLY

Reaction score
After reading another thread about oil change I have been thinking about this.

I bought a 2007 boat 2 months ago with only 20 hours on it. Took it to Elminator to look at something else and ended up with a 20 hour service (nothing had been touched since new). The next service is at 40 hours which I am at now (took the boat out twice).
My question is do I really need the whole "40 hour service" or just change oil and impeller?

Boat 2007 Elminator 220 Eagle XP 406 mag

Thanks
engine oil gets very dirty in 20 hrs, they run rich, gear oil every 10 to 20 hrs. it sees more rpm than the engine. when the oil is changed you never get all of the oil out, if you do your oil every 20 it will stay clean. the drive should come off atleast every 2 seasons no matter what. pm me if you want to talk

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
20hr service should have checked drive alignment !!!!!!!!!!!
then again at 50hrs after that every 50hrs (per merc fac repair book)
oil service on the 496 is EASY if you are half mechanicly enclined it can be done..
I change my engine oil every 30hrs or 3 months and at the end and beginig of my boating season .
drive oil every 15hrs.........yea I may be crazy but cheaper than rebuilding.
impellar takes a little more skill but also can be done by DIY peeps..
pending water contaminates in your area ( sand,weeds,gravel ) every year is a good idea...mer reqamends lot longer service intervall :thumbsdown

rrrr

Reaction score
Did not take the drive off at 20 houre service. I think the tech said that would come at the 100 hour service.
I may be cheap but can not see spending another $400.00 for service with only 20 more hours.

The shop you took your boat to must not read the Merc service manual, because it says pull the drive and check the alignment at 20 hours......

The way I see it, you are risking thousands of dollars if you don't check it at 20 hours. Some underpaid flunky might have had a hangover that made his head pound every time he bent over to insert the alignment tool and said "Fuk it, good enough."

A boat I bought in 2004 with a 496 and B3 had a bellows leak that was discovered at the 20 hour check. The shop replaced the U-joints and all three bellows under warranty. If I had waited another 80 hours to check it who knows what kind of damage would have occurred.

By the way, my dealer charges $220 for the 20 hour drive inspection, $190 for two hours labor and $30 for consumables.

BajaMike

Reaction score
The shop you took your boat to must not read the Merc service manual, because it says pull the drive and check the alignment at 20 hours......

The way I see it, you are risking thousands of dollars if you don't check it at 20 hours. Some underpaid flunky might have had a hangover that made his head pound every time he bent over to insert the alignment tool and said "Fuk it, good enough."

A boat I bought in 2004 with a 496 and B3 had a bellows leak that was discovered at the 20 hour check. The shop replaced the U-joints and all three bellows under warranty. If I had waited another 80 hours to check it who knows what kind of damage would have occurred.

By the way, my dealer charges $220 for the 20 hour drive inspection, $190 for two hours labor and $30 for consumables.

I agree....the drive should always be pulled and checked for alignment at 20 hours......I would find a new shop.

I thought after that, the next recommended service was at 100 hours.

:blah:

fishing fool

Reaction score
I agree....the drive should always be pulled and checked for alignment at 20 hours......I would find a new shop.

I thought after that, the next recommended service was at 100 hours.

:blah:

Well the shop I took it to was.......... Eliminator...
I do understand that it is cheaper to service it then to rebuild it. I guess I will take it in for the 40 hour service and MAKE SURE THEY PULL THE DRIVE. I think they told me at 100 hours they check valves and other engine stuff.

Thanks

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
If you can do the work yourself its very cheep to serves

the drive alignment should be at the first 20hrs
then every 100 after that
for most boaters thats every 3 to 4 years
unless you hit something with it then have it checked as soon as possible

oil and filter change at 20hr
drive coupler grease yearly
fuel filter change yearly
drive oil change yearly could go two year but why
impeller change yearly

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I recommend pulling the drive on the first service. Then every hundred hours also. Impeller once a year, usually at the beginning of the season. Pulling the drive also lets you inspect the belows.

You can't do too many oil changes. 25 hours is what I recommend. Remember there is no filter in the drive, so any metal or contamination in a drive just gets circulated. It gives you a chance to catch a failure before it locks up and breaks your case. It also gives you a chance to see if there is water in the drive oil.