WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

496 HOA question

Aaron

Reaction score
boat pic.jpg
After a ton of searching we found a boat and closed the deal. Thanks for all the input from the members that had good advice. I really appreciate it.
One more question, well I am sure it's not going to be only one more but here it goes
The previous owner advises to take the "twist plug" out of the motor to drain all of the water in the motor after every use.
I assume this is standard procedure. The guy was very anal with the boat but that was the main reason I bought this boat and not another so I am not knocking him at all.
I am just curious if this is standard procedure because I have not read about it on any other thread.
Thanks again for the input

250Eagle

Reaction score
First off nice boat. Looks a lot like my 250 but I have a purple and grey one. If it's a 496 you shouldn't have to pull any plugs to drain the raw water from motor. There is a pump you can use to pressurize drain valves and let water drain then put pump away. The pump should be on a clip under the spark aerator and the fitting is right by the pump.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
I've got an HO in my boat. The motor is an '04 with +- 320 hours. I have never drained a thing. Pull the boat. Park it, lower the drive over night. Wipe it down and put it away.

I have ne of those pumps. Never used it.

For what it's worth.

Nice boat, btw.:thumbsup

cb5505

Reaction score
I don't think you want to drain it after every time u run it. I would say only during services. Just my 0.02

Aaron

Reaction score
thanks for the quick responses guys.
My understanding is the pump leave a bit of water in the motor. I assume it wont hurt to have the small amount in the motor.
The boat has about 280 hrs. on it and when I took it to Eliminator to have a compression test the compression was great with all cylinders being less than a 5% variation so it doesn't seem to hurt the motor. I thought it may have been a little anal but if it helps it is not a big deal to continue. I just thought other opinions would help.

cb5505

Reaction score
The 496's are pretty solid motors. Just keep up with your routine yearly service and that motor will last u at least 500 hours if not more

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score
Never heard of anything like that......I usually just pull it out, start it for a few seconds to get the rest of the water out and done deal! Never had any issues with it and still going strong with close to 300 hours.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you live where it frequently freezes, drain the system. Otherwise, don't sweat it!

nowski

Reaction score
Aaron, if the seller was really anal you should have pointed out that gas tanks need to be full before you close the deal...

Moody

Reaction score
Buying a boat from someone who is Anal is the best way. :D I had to type that out first to understand it.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Never had a merc 496 but my engine builder said once a year drain the block to get any sand out that wasn't caught by the strainer. That's it. Once a year. Every trip seems excessive.

Beautiful boat. Congrats

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Never heard of anything like that......I usually just pull it out, start it for a few seconds to get the rest of the water out and done deal! Never had any issues with it and still going strong with close to 300 hours.

this I would strongly suggest not doing

rubber impellers don't like dry starts
I would let motor cool down before you drain it --if need be--
- but in dry climate don't worry till done boating for the year
? did the previous owner have any service books or owners manual for it
if not get some worth the price lots of info for you

nice ride :thumbsup

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I've seen the pump and the valve on my boat, but never had any idea what the two were for. Now I know.

See, RDP is entertaining AND informative.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
.air line set up
.late model 2007+
look at item #5 that's your plug and also 2 on water pump
air lines.png

blackbart

Reaction score
View attachment 330170
After a ton of searching we found a boat and closed the deal. Thanks for all the input from the members that had good advice. I really appreciate it.
One more question, well I am sure it's not going to be only one more but here it goes
The previous owner advises to take the "twist plug" out of the motor to drain all of the water in the motor after every use.
I assume this is standard procedure. The guy was very anal with the boat but that was the main reason I bought this boat and not another so I am not knocking him at all.
I am just curious if this is standard procedure because I have not read about it on any other thread.
Thanks again for the input

nice boat Aaron im right above the bridge on AZ drain for freeze in the winter

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm no boat expert...but doesn't the Merc 496 have a closed cooling system? If so, then what "outside" water is getting into the engine?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm no boat expert...but doesn't the Merc 497 have a closed cooling system? If so, then what "outside" water is getting into the engine?

Closed cooling systems use raw water through a heat exchanger to cool the closed system fluid. I don't drain mine either. No issues. As someone mentioned earlier. Freezing climate is when it would be a must.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
^^^ exactly my point. Isn't "Draining water from the motor" just pulling coolant?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
^^^ exactly my point. Isn't "Draining water from the motor" just pulling coolant?

Good point. Could be. In the case here it would be draining the pump, raw water lines, manifolds, and heat exchanger.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
496's are closed cooling. The block has antifreeze in it. You are only draining the heat exchanger. Which really makes no sense to me.

Aaron

Reaction score
Glad, I asked the questions. I guess everyone has their own opinion and I appreciate the input so I can form one of my own. Thank you for the compliments guys. We have been really happy with his so far. We are in Needles at the Rio Buena Vista and I am storing the boat in Needles so I assume draining it at the end of the season would be good. I know there are a few days when the weather get below 30. I would assume the boat being in a garage the water would probably not freeze but not worth finding out I am wrong with that.
Thanks again