WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2016 Ford 6.7 Diesel fuel pump failure

wfowahoo

Reaction score
It has been common knowledge the 6.7 with the cp4 is a grenade. Why no class action suit against Bosch ?

I have three 7.3 diesel trucks, They have no emission devices on them from factory.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
It has been common knowledge the 6.7 with the cp4 is a grenade. Why no class action suit against Bosch ?

I have three 7.3 diesel trucks, They have no emission devices on them.
It’s known that that all 3 have injection pump issues.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
There is a class action it's almost se ttlsed is my understanding. I have 170k on mine. Wikes. I need to swap it now. I think my lift pump and filter ocd has helped me.

4Waters

Reaction score

I have three 7.3 diesel trucks, They have no emission devices on them from factory.
Bosch said the cp4 pump cannot be used with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel but the manufacturers didn't care and used it anyway

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
From what I have personally seen, and also what the local Ford dealer sees, the biggest issue with the 6.7's is contaminated fuel. Water or dirt kill the pumps, along with the lack of lubricisity of modern diesel. I haven't looked into much, but it seems like a FASS system and additive could be an option for guys out of warranty.

As of spring of this year, a "disaster kit", the crap you need to replace, was over 6k in parts. Ford was hit or miss at the time. It's a shit ton of work, and not for the faint of heart. If the truck has a big tune, and the injectors are swelled, it can get real ugly.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
From what I have personally seen, and also what the local Ford dealer sees, the biggest issue with the 6.7's is contaminated fuel. Water or dirt kill the pumps, along with the lack of lubricisity of modern diesel. I haven't looked into much, but it seems like a FASS system and additive could be an option for guys out of warranty.

As of spring of this year, a "disaster kit", the crap you need to replace, was over 6k in parts. Ford was hit or miss at the time. It's a shit ton of work, and not for the faint of heart. If the truck has a big tune, and the injectors are swelled, it can get real ugly.

I’m pretty sure all three of the manufacturers were using the Bosch CP3 & CP4. It’s not a Chevy, Ford, Dodge thing. They’re all susceptible to it to one degree or another.

You can see in this video how labor intensive it can be to upgrade but you won’t wipe-out your entire fuel system.

I agree that they don’t like contaminated fuel and additives will buy you some time but they’re all band-aids in my opinion. The aftermarket has better options that won’t be as costly down the road.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure all three of the manufacturers were using the Bosch CP3 & CP4. It’s not a Chevy, Ford, Dodge thing. They’re all susceptible to it to one degree or another.

You can see in this video how labor intensive it can be to upgrade but you won’t wipe-out your entire fuel system.

I agree that they don’t like contaminated fuel and additives will buy you some time but they’re all band-aids in my opinion. The aftermarket has better options that won’t be as costly down the road.

It's kind of odd. I've done more Fords than Chevy's, and no Dodges. I don't know if it's the factory tuning, or RPM, or what. In theory, they all used identical pumps, one fed 6 injectors, the others 8. I wonder if the excess fuel supply plays a role, as well as the return setups, as they may allow for more cooling.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
It's kind of odd. I've done more Fords than Chevy's, and no Dodges. I don't know if it's the factory tuning, or RPM, or what. In theory, they all used identical pumps, one fed 6 injectors, the others 8. I wonder if the excess fuel supply plays a role, as well as the return setups, as they may allow for more cooling.

It’s possible and makes sense to me what you’re saying but I think the pump(s) are prone to failures regardless of the motor. The internet is full of videos of them all.

I sold my 6.7 PS before I swapped it but had I kept it I would’ve done the update.

It’s a major failure on the manufacturers part not to address it. I was never comfortable knowing it was a ticking time bomb.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
One other thing to keep an eye on is running your tanks really low on fuel. It was known to starve the pumps causing slow damage when running them with just a couple of gallons left in your tank. I would recommend not letting your fuel levels get much lower then 1/4 tank if possible.

Lubrication additives and a Fass system will help the life span on these pumps if you do them early enough.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I always heard the lml was worse than the Ford. The theory on that was the ford came with a factory lift pump. Where as the chevy LML does not.

I need to change mine ASAP. But Kory said you can't just drop in a non tune carb approved cp3 kit if you have a tune. You need to have your tune update. Problem there, Kory was popped by the epa. He's not writing updates.

I have an air dog on mine. I use diesel kleen. I kept the factory filter location. I change the airdogs every other oil change and the primary yearly.

That's said. Pray for me. However gm is settling the law suit. Those who had to fix will get money those that sold will get money those that kept get 50% coverage warranty. That would actually be fine with me. But I read the warranty is 12 months from finalization of settlwment. So if yours fails after then you're screwd again.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I always heard the lml was worse than the Ford. The theory on that was the ford came with a factory lift pump. Where as the chevy LML does not.

I need to change mine ASAP. But Kory said you can't just drop in a non tune carb approved cp3 kit if you have a tune. You need to have your tune update. Problem there, Kory was popped by the epa. He's not writing updates.

I have an air dog on mine. I use diesel kleen. I kept the factory filter location. I change the airdogs every other oil change and the primary yearly.

That's said. Pray for me. However gm is settling the law suit. Those who had to fix will get money those that sold will get money those that kept get 50% coverage warranty. That would actually be fine with me. But I read the warranty is 12 months from finalization of settlwment. So if yours fails after then you're screwd again.
The problem is that they are replacing a substandard part with another substandard part, then if you update to a CP3 and retune to use that and leave everything stock, in California the smog guys will not pass you for having a non factory tune.
Defund CARB! ✊

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
The problem is that they are replacing a substandard part with another substandard part, then if you update to a CP3 and retune to use that and leave everything stock, in California the smog guys will not pass you for having a non factory tune.
Defund CARB! ✊
Know this all to well. It's already an issue. As said, need an update. Can't get the update. So annoying.

Justfishing

Reaction score
$9500 for a fuel pump !!!!! I had no idea.
When the pump goes it puts metal in the system. It requies new injectors and flushing the system. Its a lot of parts and a lot of work.

There is a youtube channel daves auto.

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
You said it in your prior post. Lubrication in the fuel for the pump. Every Cummings driver ALWAYS puts a quart of ATF in the fuel tank every time they fill up.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
You said it in your prior post. Lubrication in the fuel for the pump. Every Cummings driver ALWAYS puts a quart of ATF in the fuel tank every time they fill up.
I've only own old crap. My 24v I bought with 400k+ on the clock, and I put another 450 on it. The guys up here with CP4 pump setups, they aren't the atf types. Most of these AH's run 3k past an oil change. It really amazes me they survive at all.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

In that video from Daves Auto that was posted above, they mention that there's a particular year of Dodge where they spun the CP4 pump 2x faster than bosch recommended. I believe that was a full recall.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I have so many half bottles of ATF from different uses, can I just dump some in my 6.7 fuel tank here and there to help with lube?

Warlock1

Reaction score
They do make a filter that screws into the outlet of the CP4. I was going to get one for my Duramax before I sold it.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I have so many half bottles of ATF from different uses, can I just dump some in my 6.7 fuel tank here and there to help with lube?
Dont add AFT to your fuel as it may cause issues with the DPF. Back in the day it was the cool thing to put AFT in your fuel tank on your 12 valve. Now a days the cool Cummings thing to do is install 14" wide wheels and drive with the tow mirrors flipped up but not towing a trailer.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I've only own old crap. My 24v I bought with 400k+ on the clock, and I put another 450 on it. The guys up here with CP4 pump setups, they aren't the atf types. Most of these AH's run 3k past an oil change. It really amazes me they survive at all.
I was throwing the hook out there...

baja-chris

Reaction score
Is there a good diesel mechanic in Havasu that could replace the CP4 with a DCR pump?
If not, how about Vegas or Phoenix?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Is there a good diesel mechanic in Havasu that could replace the CP4 with a DCR pump?
If not, how about Vegas or Phoenix?

If you're willing to travel a bit, I would take it to Dave's Auto in Utah that has been referenced here a few times with videos. Seems like they do great work

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
One of the main reasons I bought a leftover 2018 Ram. I didn't want the CP4 or hydraulic lifters in a EGR engine. Ram got on the ban wagon and recalled the CP-4's and put them back to CP3's so anyone doing that on their own should check with the dealer for programming. If the truck is deleted then I haven't a clue how you rid that issue.

In 2025 Ram will have a New Cummins engine. Add in a new ZF-8 speed with pto options and able to handle 1200 lb ft of tq.
Single engine choice for both 2500 and 3500. It will not best the Ford's HP but possibly match the TQ though.

I'm not buying any more diesel trucks so none of this really affects me much except the enthusiast in me having owned many diesels. I will be driving my 2018 until its baked. My 2004 my son will likely own until you cant own them any longer. My total of current B series Cummins engines remain at 4.

TFL
"There is another unconfirmed report that Ram and Cummins are working on a larger displacement inline-6 engine that could measure 7.2-liters. The current power leader in the segment is Ford’s high-output 6.7L PowerStroke V8, which is rated at 500 horsepower and 1,200 lb-ft of torque. Ram’s new diesel may at least match Ford’s torque number, we will have to wait and see."

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I bought a leftover 2018 Ram. I didn't want the CP4 or hydraulic lifters in a EGR engine. Ram got on the ban wagon and recalled the CP-4's and put them back to CP3's so anyone doing that on their own should check with the dealer for programming. If the truck is deleted then I haven't a clue how you rid that issue.

In 2025 Ram will have a New Cummins engine. Add in a new ZF-8 speed with pto options and able to handle 1200 lb ft of tq.
Single engine choice for both 2500 and 3500. It will not best the Ford's HP but possibly match the TQ though.

I'm not buying any more diesel trucks so none of this really affects me much except the enthusiast in me having owned many diesels. I will be driving my 2018 until its baked. My 2004 my son will likely own until you cant own them any longer. My total of current B series Cummins engines remain at 4.

TFL
"There is another unconfirmed report that Ram and Cummins are working on a larger displacement inline-6 engine that could measure 7.2-liters. The current power leader in the segment is Ford’s high-output 6.7L PowerStroke V8, which is rated at 500 horsepower and 1,200 lb-ft of torque. Ram’s new diesel may at least match Ford’s torque number, we will have to wait and see."
Sounds like Rams version of the MegaMax. Larger displacement, more power, less emissions crap.