WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2015/2016 Chevy Tahoe

Aaron

Reaction score
I am sure there are a few of you that have purchased a new Tahoe or Yukon lately. Trying to get some feedback on pros and cons you have experienced. We would mainly be using it for around town here at home and then to run out to the river. We would tow a 26 Eliminator back and forth from storage garage to launch ramp and possibly to Havasu from Needles a few times but would not tow the boat from CA.
I think it would be fine pulling the boat out of the water on the ramp but would like to hear feedback from any of you that have experienced this first hand.\
Also any feedback on the trims. I know the LTZ is top of the line and would be nice around town but I would hate to have the kids trash it on road trips. Is 4 wheel drive worth the extra expense? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Aaron

Singleton

Reaction score
We have a 15 GMC SLT Yukon. Built like a Denali without the extra cost. Have had zero issues and tows the boat (Ultra 26 deckboat) storage to ramp without issues.

We have a full system of weathertech floor mats to keep the kids from killing the interior. Have not experienced the interior road noise some have (test drive to verify your does not have it). We got 4x4 just in case and the smaller engine and it works great for us (average 16 city and over 26 highway when not towing).

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I had a 15 denali xl with 8 speed auto. Total junk. I buy one every year so I played the deal pretty hard for a trade. So my 16/has 8000 miles now. Tranny is still junk in my opinion. The mileage laws I blame alittle. But my wife's 8 speed Acura doesn't jerk bump,jump like mine. So maybe it is a GM thing. I love the truck. 6.2 has balls. And now they have the 2 wheel switch on the 4 wheel drive package. Love the adaptive cruise and lane departure. I have towed a 10,000 pound equipment load without any lack of power.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I had a 15 denali xl with 8 speed auto. Total junk. I buy one every year so I played the deal pretty hard for a trade. So my 16/has 8000 miles now. Tranny is still junk in my opinion. The mileage laws I blame alittle. But my wife's 8 speed Acura doesn't jerk bump,jump like mine. So maybe it is a GM thing. I love the truck. 6.2 has balls. And now they have the 2 wheel switch on the 4 wheel drive package. Love the adaptive cruise and lane departure. I have towed a 10,000 pound equipment load without any lack of power.

I even put a tune on my 6.2 and 8 speed and the tranny is still a POS! [emoji107]🏻

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
The 6 speed auto transmissions are known to gear hunt. I good tuner can make it alot better... but they are still known for it. My wifes 2010 tahoe wont down shift, so you give it more gas, then it down shifts like 3 gears.... 7 seconds later!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not sure what you guys expect, these things are set up to maximize fuel mileage at all costs. That includes hunting for gears and early up shifts to top gear, and resisting downshifts.

I think the throttle by wire on these things is the real problem. You can floor the pedal and let off and it does nothing. The pedal has a huge delay. Again that is done to maximize fuel mileage.

That said these are really good trucks.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The 6 speed auto transmissions are known to gear hunt. I good tuner can make it alot better... but they are still known for it. My wifes 2010 tahoe wont down shift, so you give it more gas, then it down shifts like 3 gears.... 7 seconds later!

Yep a good trans tuner can do a lot for driveability. 6l80etuning.com is a great resource. I have the same trans in my CTS-v.. It does not do any of the delayed downshift crap.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Yep a good trans tuner can do a lot for driveability. 6l80etuning.com is a great resource. I have the same trans in my CTS-v.. It does not do any of the delayed downshift crap.

I need to get my wifes hoe tuned. I can't stand driving it, i end up putting it in tow hail mode.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I need to get my wifes hoe tuned. I can't stand driving it, i end up putting it in tow hail mode.

I don't know what can be done with the throttle tuning.. that will help a bunch.

Englewood

Reaction score
Wife has a 2015 Tahoe and it's been great so far. Honest 20mpg to the river and launches the 28' boat no problem.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I got my wife a 2015 Tahoe LTZ. Has the 5.3 with the 6 speed. It seems ok to me. I rented a 2015 Escalade with the 6.2 and 8 speed and the tranny drove me nuts. I didn't think the extra power was worth it with how the tranny performed. My wife loves the car and since she drives it that's all I'm concerned with. I got the 2 wheel drive since my truck is 4 wheel. we won't take it where we might need the 4 wheel drive so I figured there was no need to spend the extra $6,500.

sloboat76

Reaction score
We have a 15 Tahoe LT but honestly its loaded with I think every option except lighted mirrors and fog lights. It has Nav, front/rear heat & air, sunroof, heated & cooled seats, front/rear tv/dvd, power gate, Leather, 2nd row bucket, blah blah blah. Compared to my LT 2500 Silverado its a spaceship on the inside. Its a 4x4 which is a necessity where we live and launch the boat, and it does a fine job with a 21' chaparral bowrider/ski boat and my small river boat. We have 17K on it now trouble free so far. The only thing I have done is added the fogs and it had Factory 20" Five spoke wheels and I had them broke down and powdercoated because lets face it she will run over every dam curb in the county and didn't want to do that to 2K aftermarket rims. I am honestly impressed with the power the direct injection brought to the table over her Yukon we traded in.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I am wondering what problem you guys are having with the transmission specifically?

I have the 2016 Vette with the same A8 transmission. But it has several different driving "modes" to select and I often go manual. Seems OK to me but I can get it to shift into a performance shift mode if I drive aggressive that doesn't hunt but that may not be available to other cars.

In normal mode it does hunt for the lowest possible RPM. And also shifts into DOD. I think I can turn off the DOD.

I am getting an tune anyway but I don't seem to be having to much trouble with it?

I will move it into touring mode to see if the transmission drives me crazy?

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I have a problem with my 1999 silverado 4l65e trans. It just does massive burn outs no matter how i drive it. :D

McKay

Reaction score
We have a 15 yukon denali with the 8 speed. Love it and have not noticed any tranny issues? But I rarely drive an automatic so maybe I don't know what to expect. I pulled my 28' Nordic Heat with it 5-6 times this past summer from SLC to Lake Powell and it performed wonderful.

AEA

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 1999 silverado 4l65e trans. It just does massive burn outs no matter how i drive it. :D

In a different thread someone suggested a wood block under the throttle pedal can be used to reduce excessive performance. :eek

welldigger00

Reaction score
Got my Olady a '15 Tahoe Ls. We love it so far. The only bad thing I would say about it at this point is that it doesn't hold back going down a grade like I would like it to. You drop it down a gear on the shifter, and it'll rev the engine up, but there isn't a whole lot of engine braking to it. I'm used to a stick shift dodge for towing though. That, and it gets the same mileage as my dually also!👎🏻

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am wondering what problem you guys are having with the transmission specifically?

I have the 2016 Vette with the same A8 transmission. But it has several different driving "modes" to select and I often go manual. Seems OK to me but I can get it to shift into a performance shift mode if I drive aggressive that doesn't hunt but that may not be available to other cars.

In normal mode it does hunt for the lowest possible RPM. And also shifts into DOD. I think I can turn off the DOD.

I am getting an tune anyway but I don't seem to be having to much trouble with it?

I will move it into touring mode to see if the transmission drives me crazy?

While the transmissions are very similar, the sports car transmission tune is much different than the truck/suv tunes. It is all about maximizing MPG in the SUVs.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I figured it was different too since I have so many different driving modes. I have only driven the Denalii once and it didn't have all these modes.

I drove it in "touring" at lunch and it did seek the lowest possible RPM at all time.

While the transmissions are very similar, the sports car transmission tune is much different than the truck/suv tunes. It is all about maximizing MPG in the SUVs.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you are able to tune the 6L80/90 the first recommendation is to flash in the 2012 CTS-v transmission tune to your truck or SUV for better performance and response.

Aaron

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The local dealer has a 2015 LTZ for 55K. It seems like a pretty good deal. I don't necessarily need the LTZ but that seems to be the price I have been seeing for the LT models. What are most people paying for these things?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. The local dealer has a 2015 LTZ for 55K. It seems like a pretty good deal. I don't necessarily need the LTZ but that seems to be the price I have been seeing for the LT models. What are most people paying for these things?

We bought a 2015 lt for just under 60k a few months ago. Great truck but expensive [emoji106]🏽

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
$63k OTD...55k is smokin