WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

$2000 catalytic converter

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Ever seen one? Me either. But apparently under the hood of my 2005 toyota tacoma, there is one.... That needs to be replaced :grumble:

Any one have a hookup on CA legal catalytic converters? if it were any other state, It's $300

I hate this focking state :grumble:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
are you sure its just one? I'm pretty sure its atleast 4 in a H pipe config.

Joker

Reaction score
Must be why they keep coming up missing from the Toyotas. I'm sure the people stealing them are selling em somewhere.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Isnt there a mandatory 7 year warrentee on smog/emissions stuff?

28Eliminator

Reaction score
are you sure its just one? I'm pretty sure its atleast 4 in a H pipe config.

It's 4 cylinder. It looks like just 1 cat, O2 sensors in front of it and behind it.. looks like maybe another one behind it?? but no sensors adjacent.

Reaction score
if its a v-6 it has 2.

Sucks for you cali folk, i can get um but there arent legal for sale and you wont get emmisions if you put it on.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Here's what "I've heard" because, you know, legally you have to use an OEM cat in CA:
CA-approved cats must pass more-stringent durability tests, so they basically have more precious metals in their substrates, plus some other minor design/engineering stuff.

A non-CA OBDII cat *should* work to get you past the sniffer. It's been a few years but "it might have worked" for my blown Expedition as late as 2007, when I sold it. And just browsing other forums, looks like it still works...er..."might work"

The cats will look the same, all the tech is going to do is look to see if it's there. If you draw attention to it (they appear brand-new, or you open your trap about them), then the tech will start looking for EO numbers. Then you're in trouble.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Here's what "I've heard" because, you know, legally you have to use an OEM cat in CA:
CA-approved cats must pass more-stringent durability tests, so they basically have more precious metals in their substrates, plus some other minor design/engineering stuff.

A non-CA OBDII cat *should* work to get you past the sniffer. It's been a few years but "it might have worked" for my blown Expedition as late as 2007, when I sold it. And just browsing other forums, looks like it still works...er..."might work"

The cats will look the same, all the tech is going to do is look to see if it's there. If you draw attention to it (they appear brand-new, or you open your trap about them), then the tech will start looking for EO numbers. Then you're in trouble.

by law they have to check the numbers. a new cat is going to stick out like a swore thumb on a 05. Now you could just find a dishonest tech, but thats another thread ;)

Reaction score
293.12 plus shipping

It will work and will probally get you threw smog. Now if you dont want the truck in 2 years then f it buy one. If im correct there are certian stickers that go on cats in cali. True or false?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
yep, a carb number and every thing... trust me they check.

Reaction score
Hey OC, how is that cat doing i sold ya;):D:thumbsup

pronstar

Reaction score
yep, a carb number and every thing... trust me they check.

They'll check if it's aftermarket.
If it's OEM, or looks OEM, then they aren't looking for anything.
At least, I've never had them crawling all over the cats under our cars.
They just see it, looks OEM, and check the box.

The trick is getting a brand-new cat to look identically old and dirty like the rest of your car's undersides. If it looks new, or non-OEM, then you're asking for them to start looking around.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Sounds like I'm screwed..

Thanks for all the input guys.

SPL2K

Reaction score

The trick is getting a brand-new cat to look identically old and dirty like the rest of your car's undersides. If it looks new, or non-OEM, then you're asking for them to start looking around.

Buy the one from 460 and then when you go to smog it, start ranting and raving about how you had to buy a $2000 pos stock one from the toyota dealer.

drew_built

Reaction score
Must be why they keep coming up missing from the Toyotas. I'm sure the people stealing them are selling em somewhere.

I believe there coming up missing because people know how to remove the platinum inside of them

pronstar

Reaction score
I believe there coming up missing because people know how to remove the platinum inside of them

Platinum...rhodium...palladium...all super expensive.

For some reason, Toyota trucks and SUV's report higher-than-normal theft rates. It's obviously easier to get to the cat on a raised vehicle, I wonder if they're easier to remove as well? e.g. bolt-in versus welded?

At any rate, any jackass with a hacksaw can make quick work of removing them, even if they're welded-in.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
carefully remove the heat shield around it... get a replacement, have it welded in by a friend or someone who doesnt care. then reweld the heatshield back on... that way it wont look all new and pretty.

i passed visual no problemo that way.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Platinum...rhodium...palladium...all super expensive.

For some reason, Toyota trucks and SUV's report higher-than-normal theft rates. It's obviously easier to get to the cat on a raised vehicle, I wonder if they're easier to remove as well? e.g. bolt-in versus welded?

At any rate, any jackass with a hacksaw can make quick work of removing them, even if they're welded-in.

Lets just say they don't want to let go on an LS motor. :swear That was not easy and bank one was melted. Stupid dumb ass fuel pressure regulator diaphragm.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
I think the Magnaflow cats are 50 states legal ! And a lot cheaper than OEM;)

ROZ

Reaction score
Oem only? Huh... I had one put on at RPM in Vista in 05 on a 98 taco. It was 250

Sent using yaba daba Tapatalk

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Is there a certain cutoff on the OEM only cats? My '87 Chevy truck has an aftermarket cat and the smog guy didn't say anything about it.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
by law they have to check the numbers. a new cat is going to stick out like a swore thumb on a 05. Now you could just find a dishonest tech, but thats another thread ;)

Ive used non ca approved cats and told them it was new. They didnt care as long as it passes.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
But if the truck is gonzo in lets say 2 years buy one aftermarket. :D;)

I don't know what your talking about. :p:p

I am not changing it again, that I am certain of. :thumbsdown

dribble

Reaction score
Before spending any money on a new cat find out why the old one failed. That cat should have lasted 300,000 miles. They usually fail from overheating caused by running too rich. The best way to test the efficiency of a cat is an intrusive test. I would make damn sure it's bad before replacing it.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
If your in cali, tell them it was stolen and that is why you have a new one on there, so what they are looking at is whatever the parts store sold you.

On another note, those don't generally go out unless something is changed or wrong with your engine with that few miles on them. Did you modify something on your engine cause they will look for that also.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I went through this last year with my 97 Tacoma 4-banger.
Son brought it home from Oklahoma when he discharged from the Army with a H-Flow Magnaflow Cat.
Passed smog with flying colors for two years..then the cat went bad.
Bought new Magnaflow.
Cali smog Nazis checked the next time around, "Not and approved cat, must have CARB # on it. Failed the visual.
Bought new Cat, Cali Approved.
Magnaflow. Same exact cat and had "CA Arpproved" on the casing.
Same exact cat, was almost 300 bucks as opposed to 145.
CARB is out of control. A bunch of unelected untouchable liberal enviro whackos accountable to no one screwing us at every opportunity.
Ain't gonna change unless/until we demand it.

77charger

Reaction score

splash some saltwater on the outside while still wet add a little bit of powdered cement to make it look like dried up mud hell maybe even add a touch of rust colored paint.

Winter time take a trip to the mountains when theres snow on the road too.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Find someone with the same truck with good cats, within the 80k mile fed emissions warranty, swap
Cats, then have the TSB for exhaust ticking noise performed on the other guys truck to get the bad cats replaced. Is yours a v6 or a 4 cyl?.

Last edited:

28Eliminator

Reaction score
If your in cali, tell them it was stolen and that is why you have a new one on there, so what they are looking at is whatever the parts store sold you.

On another note, those don't generally go out unless something is changed or wrong with your engine with that few miles on them. Did you modify something on your engine cause they will look for that also.

I haven't done anything to that truck. Bought it brand new just for running around the jobsite.. and that's about all it's ever done. No mods at all.. work truck only.

I'm gonna replace the 2 - O2 sensors, and see if that makes a difference. I agree it doesnt make sense that it's bad. Always been regularly maintained, and it runs great..

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
If you use a stock looking cat, ie not some super flow exhaust, nobody is going to be looking at the CARB numbers. The only time guys look for that is if something is modified. So, if your rig is all stock, meaning no K&N etc, you can get one from FoSitty (if you trust him) and not have an issue. I was a smog tech for 15 years, so I'm not talking out of my ass here.

I trust FoSitty 'bout as far as Tom Brown can throw him.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
If you use a stock looking cat, ie not some super flow exhaust, nobody is going to be looking at the CARB numbers. The only time guys look for that is if something is modified. So, if your rig is all stock, meaning no K&N etc, you can get one from FoSitty (if you trust him) and not have an issue. I was a smog tech for 15 years, so I'm not talking out of my ass here.

I trust FoSitty 'bout as far as Tom Brown can throw him.

Best customer service this side of the Mississippi. No free Fried Chicken with your order though and I had a freaking coupon dammit.

:D

bigmike58

Reaction score
Ever seen one? Me either. But apparently under the hood of my 2005 toyota tacoma, there is one.... That needs to be replaced :grumble:

Any one have a hookup on CA legal catalytic converters? if it were any other state, It's $300

I hate this focking state :grumble:

magnaflow makes a Carb legal "universal" converter, I just bought 2 for a 2006 in corona at Allied...The only problem is finding someone to weld it in..most shops won't or can't do it..I had a buddy do it....total for all was 750.00 ford wanted over 3000.00.

BTW..when looking for parts I found 49 state complete bolt in systems for 800.00.. no one could ship to cali because the manufactuer refused to pay the CARB extortion fee of 40k...

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
I haven't done anything to that truck. Bought it brand new just for running around the jobsite.. and that's about all it's ever done. No mods at all.. work truck only.

I'm gonna replace the 2 - O2 sensors, and see if that makes a difference. I agree it doesnt make sense that it's bad. Always been regularly maintained, and it runs great..

That vehicle uses an Air/Fuel sensor in the front and and O2 sensor in the rear. They are expensive and probably not needed. At least test them with a DVOM first. The rear sensor is that cat montor and should have thrown a cat efficiency code (if the cat is in fact dead). It serves no other purpose. I'm still questioning the need for a new cat. It it was not properly diagnosed with an intrusive test, do not spend the money on one.

Last edited:

Oldsquirt

Reaction score

28Eliminator, I am a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech. If you tell me EXACTLY why you think you need a new cat, or why someone told you that you do, I may be able to help you out. DO NOT go out and throw 2 new sensors at this problem!

Find someone with the same truck with good cats, within the 80k mile fed emissions warranty, swap
Cats, then have the TSB for exhaust ticking noise performed on the other guys truck to get the bad cats replaced. Is yours a v6 or a 4 cyl?.
The TSB for ticking noise is for 1GR-FE only. OP has the 2TR-FE 4-cylinder.

I went through this last year with my 97 Tacoma 4-banger.
Son brought it home from Oklahoma when he discharged from the Army with a H-Flow Magnaflow Cat.
Passed smog with flying colors for two years..then the cat went bad.
Bought new Magnaflow.
Cali smog Nazis checked the next time around, "Not and approved cat, must have CARB # on it. Failed the visual.
Bought new Cat, Cali Approved.
Magnaflow. Same exact cat and had "CA Arpproved" on the casing.
Same exact cat, was almost 300 bucks as opposed to 145.
CARB is out of control. A bunch of unelected untouchable liberal enviro whackos accountable to no one screwing us at every opportunity.
Ain't gonna change unless/until we demand it.

Jeff, the fact that the Magnaflow cat failed in such a short amount of time is the exact reason the state doesn't want that cheap stuff being used. What good does it do to put in a new cat, when it isn't going to last and will have the vehicle polluting your air, your kid's air, your grandkid's air and my air for two years before it gets caught in the next smog test and replaced again with another substandard part? I'll answer that for you. IT DOES NO GOOD AT ALL!!!!!

By the way, you can not "look" at a cat and tell it is the exact same part unless it had the exact same part number. The size and shape of the shell could be the same, yet the two could have a different substrate inside.

That vehicle uses an Air/Fuel sensor in the front and and O2 sensor in the rear. They are expensive and probably not needed. At least test them with a DVOM first. The rear sensor is that cat montor and should have thrown a cat efficiency code (if the cat is in fact dead). It serves no other purpose. I'm still questioning the need for a new cat. It it was not properly diagnosed with an intrusive test, do not spend the money on one.

Toyota has provided us with a very nice "active test" via our scan tool that allows us to test cats without using the old-school "intrusive test". Takes less time, too. :)

28Eliminator

Reaction score
28Eliminator, I am a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech. If you tell me EXACTLY why you think you need a new cat, or why someone told you that you do, I may be able to help you out. DO NOT go out and throw 2 new sensors at this problem!

Engine light came on and I took it to the local Mech that takes care of all our company vehicles. Diag said "P0420 Catalyst sytem efficiency below threshold" They told me the cat was bad and had to be replaced.

Thats as far as I've gotten.. Appreciate the help.

Toyota has provided us with a very nice "active test" via our scan tool that allows us to test cats without using the old-school "intrusive test". Takes less time, too. :)

Should I take it to Toyota and have them test it?

Oldsquirt

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the P0420 code on a Toyota is "generally" a pretty accurate indication of a weak(not necessarily 'failed') cat. If all the shop did was pull the code and condemn the cat, I would take it elsewhere. If this shop performs smog checks they should be well aware of proper test procedures and you should ask if they did so.

Whether you take it to a Toyota dealer for further testing is really your decision. I know not everyone has the same opinion of dealerships. Not all dealers are the same and not all will approach this diagnosis the same way. Where I am( at least 400 miles north of where I suspect you are), we are required to provide substantial documentation for any diagnosis of a weak/failed cat.

Assuming the cat does test bad, I'm not too sure about that $2000 estimate. I replaced this exact item a couple weeks ago(for a different reason) and I don't think the cat and the two gaskets were anywhere near that even with labor(about an hour to install and retest to confirm repair). Did this estimate include both the A/F sensor and the heated o2 sensor? They do sometimes seize in the pipes, which would obviously require replacement, but there is no reason to replace them otherwise.

A final thought. If this truck doesn't get driven at freeway speed fairly regularly or if it gets turned on and off a lot while only being driven short distances, you might consider clearing the code, giving the vehicle some good "exercise" and "monitoring" the situation for a while. If the code is going to return it will happen in a fairly short time.

By the way, truck doesn't have a knock or rattle coming from the exhaust does it?

pronstar

Reaction score
Soinds like a good ol' fashioned Italian Tuneup (AKA drive the piss out it) might be the fix :thumbsup