WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2-door used Jeep for $20K - possible, or not?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
@Cole Trickle
Yet....
They still has that smug smile.
And it went away. :)

I will say a couple of the Mustang LX guys cleaned my clock. Lol.
There was a guy in Elsinore with a yellow Vette.
With the mighty 2bbl Rochester, the Jeep gapped him pretty good going up the Lake St. onramp to about 85-90ish, (the 4th gear shift) which is where my testicular fortitude ended in a CJ5.;)
Saw him a few weeks later at the circle K, he was floored when I told him it was a 2bbl 350 I pulled from a Monte Carlo:D

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
@Cole Trickle
Yet....
They still has that smug smile.
And it went away. :)

I will say a couple of the Mustang LX guys cleaned my clock. Lol.
There was a guy in Elsinore with a yellow Vette.
With the mighty 2bbl Rochester, the Jeep gapped him pretty good going up the Lake St. onramp to about 85-90ish, (the 4th gear shift) which is where my testicular fortitude ended in a CJ5.;)
Saw him a few weeks later at the circle K, he was floored when I told him it was a 2bbl 350 I pulled from a Monte Carlo:D

I did a show-n-shine Saturday night in the Chevelle. On the way home some ricer in a Civic pulled up next to me. He is probably still having red nightmares. He followed me to Jimmy Johns. :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I did a show-n-shine Saturday night in the Chevelle. On the way home some ricer in a Civic pulled up next to me. He is probably still having red nightmares. He followed me to Jimmy Johns. :D

That will happen when you have no traction at 80 mph and are still putting bus's on someone...haha

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Where is the Jeep located? I’m interested. I sold Bigbore500r my truck, Looking for a replacement.

It is a 2014 Rubicon with automatic trans. With just under 68,000 miles on it, loaded with every option we could get in 2014 including navigation and leather. Still under bumper to bumper warranty until 75000 miles with $100 deductible. Dealer offered me 24500 trade-in on the new truck. I just put 5 brand new BFG all terrains on it. 33 in

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I would recommend something other than a jeep. They are horrible to drive by modern standards, cost an arm and a leg and do nothing well.

She is 17, you want something safe, and does not have a lot of room... not my 1st choice, but i saw where the local toyota dealer was selling a 2019 camry with 14k miles for $16.8 if it had been any other color but metalic silver, i would have offeree them 16 otd

boatpi

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but most teen girls are dizzy, always thinking of social media, college, stresses of life, shopping, hormones, and onward. Get a vehicle that has all of the newer safety features, lane change warning, rear beepers, large window visibility, etc. See my previous post on a 2 year old Kia Sportage, no turbo, good power, HUGE windows, no blind sport and it has all of the electronics, under 20K loaded. Doe not have to be a Kia, but I looked for a vehicle that would have these features to save her from herself, and my insurance premiums. Now, if you live in country, not city, things may be different. I hope this insight helps other fathers.

I pay 1K per teenager per year extra for car insurance, why have it double of they crash. When they have more driving experience, say 20 or so, then switch to something different.

My older daughter is driving a 4 year old Prius, she loves it, no gas to pay for. Mom told her she will get her 2019 GLC350E in 2 years, so she is quite happy to drive that gas saver in college.

welldigger00

Reaction score
It’s funny how some of you have a totally different opinion on jeeps then I do. It must be where we live. A lot of kids grew up with jeeps up on the hill, and both my kids drove a Jeep for their first car. My 17 year old daughter is currently driving a jeep. Arrowhead is 5000’ in elevation, four wheel drive is a must. We don’t have the high speed situation like a freeway, so the safety features aren’t as important. Fuel economy is not as important either, it’s only a few miles from school to work, etc. I think one other factor is that a lot of people have jeeps as a mountain beater for wintertime, and it doubles duty as kid mobile, and snow berm smasher. Another huge factor for me is how east they are to work on, how plentiful parts are, and they’re mostly rubber and steel on all four sides, so fender benders are no big deal from a paint and body stand point. One downside is if you have a son. They’ll take that thing out on trail wheeling with their buddies on a Friday night, and roll it. This how they learn(the boy in my case) how to repair, or pay to repair what damage they’ve done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
== Thanks again everybody ==
Thanks SoCalCricket and DrRob for the kind offers.

I hear ya guys on getting a different car other than a Jeep. But, her two best friends have Jeeps and she is a great kid; she's doing really good at school and hasn't asked for much else during her 17-years. And, she is an only child (Lucky!)

So, we'll gladly take one for the team on this one.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Get her what she wants [emoji106]

Jeeps aren’t terrible, there are hundreds of thousands of folks who drive them everyday and love them. - that’s why their resale is so strong.

Reading just the replies, I’d have thought the thread was titled “talk me out of a Jeep” LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That will happen when you have no traction at 80 mph and are still putting bus's on someone...haha

He disappeared into the night behind me like he was going the other direction. He actually jumped me when we left a bit. Third gear disposed of him quickly. :D

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
He disappeared into the night behind me like he was going the other direction. He actually jumped me when we left a bit. Third gear disposed of him quickly. :D

Soon after getting my 6 bbl Road Runner I lined up with a buddy who had just built a huge motored Baja bug. Thru first and second gear I was sweating a bit, but once into third I passed him and added a couple car lengths before grabbing fourth. Learned something about weight that night.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Soon after getting my 6 bbl Road Runner I lined up with a buddy who had just built a huge motored Baja bug. Thru first and second gear I was sweating a bit, but once into third I passed him and added a couple car lengths before grabbing fourth. Learned something about weight that night.

Third gear in my Chevelle is absolutely a beast. Wheel-spin, violence and copious amounts of noise. Fourth is just icing on the third gear cake. :cool:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
With a 4.33 geared Dana I saw 4th a lot.
With BFG Street slicks and 10" wide rims traction was good by 3rd.
With 1100 cfm wide open Holleys pushing air thru 4 Hemi muffs, that is most all you hear. Loved that car.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
With a 4.33 geared Dana I saw 4th a lot.
With BFG Street slicks and 10" wide rims traction was good by 3rd.
With 1100 cfm wide open Holleys pushing air thru 4 Hemi muffs, that is most all you hear. Loved that car.

Mine is a Moser "Big 9" with 35 Spline axles, 4:30 gear. Trans is a Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed. Tremec's gearing seems on the high side, not sure what 3rd is. Same Trans in my Viper. 6th gear on the freeway at 80 is like ~1200 RPM.

I've got 325-45R-17 M&H Drag Radials, their really light and busting them into smoke isn't a difficult task. Midway through 3rd, they hook and send your opponent into sleeplessness.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Mine is a Moser "Big 9" with 35 Spline axles, 4:30 gear. Trans is a Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed. Tremec's gearing seems on the high side, not sure what 3rd is. Same Trans in my Viper. 6th gear on the freeway at 80 is like ~1200 RPM.

I've got 325-45R-17 M&H Drag Radials, their really light and busting them into smoke isn't a difficult task. Midway through 3rd, they hook and send your opponent into sleeplessness.

Thats a ton of gear for that combo.... 3:55 would have probably been more usable.

I would imagine you couldn't pull 4th in the 1/4 you would need an extra shift into 5th

Don't vipers have like a 3:08 and half the power of the chevelle...lol

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Thats a ton of gear for that combo.... 3:55 would have probably been more usable.

I would imagine you couldn't pull 4th in the 1/4 you would need an extra shift into 5th

Don't vipers have like a 3:08 and half the power of the chevelle...lol

The car had a 3:73 in it when we built it. The car didn't like it. Just getting going in 1st required some clutching. I don't know what my Viper has in it for rear gear buts its geared to the moon. With this 4:30, 3rd and 4th really match the power curve of the car. Mid range punch is explosive.Peak torque is 799@5200.

And yes, My Viper is 500HP, the Chevelle is 903.

Anyway, I suspect the Tremec has pretty high ratios'

And I apologize to the OP for thread drift.

c_land

Reaction score
My daughter wants a 2-dr Jeep Wrangler. Our budget is $20K. The only caveat is we don't want to buy something too old, so we're talking about a model year 2015 and newer. An older year with decent mileage is also possible.

The Jeeps we've seen offered for sale by private parties seem priced too high. My opinion is based on seeing comparable models at dealers for less. How is that possible?

I thought going private party was the answer, but it doesn't look like it. Wifey and daughter keep throwing dealer Jeeps at me and it's frustrating; I have nothing, lol.

What are your thoughts?

Posted here on RDP for 20k. check it out:

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/2013-jeep-jk-2dr.206345/

20170904_184025-jpg.799293

Reactions: DWC