WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1919 - BEVERLY HILLS SPEEDWAY

rivergames

Reaction score
Jack Prince and Art Pillsbury built the Beverly Hills Speedway in 1919 on 275 acres of land, at a cost of $500,000. The 1.25-mile wood oval, which featured 45-degree banked turns, was funded by a group of actors and others in the industry known as the Beverly Hills Speedway Syndicate.
The track was inaugurated on February 28, 1920, but after only four years the 70,000-seat stadium was disassembled to make room for other improvements in the newly incorporated city of Beverly Hills, holding its last race on February 24, 1924 before a crowd of 85,000. The Beverly Wilshire Hotel now occupies part of the former speedway track.
The developers eventually moved the racetrack to Culver City, and it was located at the intersection of Culver Blvd and Overland Blvd, right across the street from MGM Studios. It was at this "new" location and "new" track where Red Cariens was involved in a fatal crash on November 29, 1925. It was also at this location where Mickey Rooney's classic racing movie "The Big Wheel" (1949) was shot. This speedway was built at a time when car races were popular, so popular in fact, that there were radio broadcasts from the speedways. California had approximately six wooden track speedways, also known as "toothpick track" speedways.
Culver City Speedway operated from December 14, 1924 to March 6, 1927; it was eventually removed to make way for movie studios.
The Beverly Hills Speedway was notable for having only three fatalities, one of these, famously, was Gaston Chevrolet who was killed there in 1920, having just won the Indianapolis 500.
By now Gaston and his brothers Louis (founder of the Chevrolet company) and Arthur had established the Frontenac Motor Corporation, building, ironically, cylinder heads for the model T Ford.

1694637280164.png

Kinda cool we tiled the new Waldorf Astoria Hotel right on the Corner of Santa Monica Blvd & Wilshire Blvd. Also done a bunch of tile at the Beverly Hilton next door. Hell, If I pulled up a current map, there are a bunch of buildings and commercial projects that we have tiled in this area.

Brian

Reaction score
This reminds me of a site I visited. A few years ago I was able to hike around Paramount Ranch raceway in Malibu. It was open in the early 50's and some famous racers ran there. Similarly it was closed down due to a few fatalities. Some of the track is still there. If you do your homework before you go it makes visioning the track much easier. Coming from road racing, it was really cool for me. I have pictures, maybe I will post someday.

4Waters

Reaction score
This reminds me of a site I visited. A few years ago I was able to hike around Paramount Ranch raceway in Malibu. It was open in the early 50's and some famous racers ran there. Similarly it was closed down due to a few fatalities. Some of the track is still there. If you do your homework before you go it makes visioning the track much easier. Coming from road racing, it was really cool for me. I have pictures, maybe I will post someday.
art-mg-paramountranch1.jpg
paramount_ranch_mapcbL.jpg
paramount-ranch-002.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
Jack Prince and Art Pillsbury built the Beverly Hills Speedway in 1919 on 275 acres of land, at a cost of $500,000. The 1.25-mile wood oval, which featured 45-degree banked turns, was funded by a group of actors and others in the industry known as the Beverly Hills Speedway Syndicate.
The track was inaugurated on February 28, 1920, but after only four years the 70,000-seat stadium was disassembled to make room for other improvements in the newly incorporated city of Beverly Hills, holding its last race on February 24, 1924 before a crowd of 85,000. The Beverly Wilshire Hotel now occupies part of the former speedway track.
The developers eventually moved the racetrack to Culver City, and it was located at the intersection of Culver Blvd and Overland Blvd, right across the street from MGM Studios. It was at this "new" location and "new" track where Red Cariens was involved in a fatal crash on November 29, 1925. It was also at this location where Mickey Rooney's classic racing movie "The Big Wheel" (1949) was shot. This speedway was built at a time when car races were popular, so popular in fact, that there were radio broadcasts from the speedways. California had approximately six wooden track speedways, also known as "toothpick track" speedways.
Culver City Speedway operated from December 14, 1924 to March 6, 1927; it was eventually removed to make way for movie studios.
The Beverly Hills Speedway was notable for having only three fatalities, one of these, famously, was Gaston Chevrolet who was killed there in 1920, having just won the Indianapolis 500.
By now Gaston and his brothers Louis (founder of the Chevrolet company) and Arthur had established the Frontenac Motor Corporation, building, ironically, cylinder heads for the model T Ford.

View attachment 1277314

Kinda cool we tiled the new Waldorf Astoria Hotel right on the Corner of Santa Monica Blvd & Wilshire Blvd. Also done a bunch of tile at the Beverly Hilton next door. Hell, If I pulled up a current map, there are a bunch of buildings and commercial projects that we have tiled in this area.
Great post. Thanks.

Brian

Reaction score
Ok I found the pictures I took at Paramount. Stupidly I only took a few.

paramount.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is going in to turn 7.

paramount1.jpg

Further into turn 7

paramount2.jpg

This is looking into the turn 6 & 5 area. It's amazing how the earth has just slowly taken the track back over. The track just disappears.

paramount3.jpg

This is the back straight with my back towards the hills looking down to the main straight. That horse trailer down there is just about where the start/finish line was.

I should of taken more pictures. Maybe I'll go back and take more. There were other remnant pieces of guardrail and other things. I was really hoping that bridge/tunnel was still there between 3 & 4 but I read somewhere that it had collapsed years ago.

It was so cool to see but yet sad at the same time as a motorsports enthusiast. One day I'm sure it will be totally gone.

rivergames

Reaction score

View attachment 1277567

View attachment 1277568

Further into turn 7

View attachment 1277569

This is looking into the turn 6 & 5 area. It's amazing how the earth has just slowly taken the track back over. The track just disappears.

View attachment 1277570

This is the back straight with my back towards the hills looking down to the main straight. That horse trailer down there is just about where the start/finish line was.

I should of taken more pictures. Maybe I'll go back and take more. There were other remnant pieces of guardrail and other things. I was really hoping that bridge/tunnel was still there between 3 & 4 but I read somewhere that it had collapsed years ago.

It was so cool to see but yet sad at the same time as a motorsports enthusiast. One day I'm sure it will be totally gone.
Awesome shots of the old track! So many great tracks....GONE

rrrr

Reaction score

View attachment 1277567

View attachment 1277568

Further into turn 7

View attachment 1277569

View attachment 1277570

I didn't know of this track. It looks like turns 5-11 had some good elevation changes.

Thanks for posting the photos.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
When I was a kid I delivered news papers near the remains of the track in SLO , In Later years (70s) I worked a "side hack" at the Atascadero Speed way selling tickets and helping groom the track . I Once was the "trophy car" with a Trophy Hottie in my Black SS 409 Impala
https://localwiki.org/slo/Exposition_Park_Raceway