WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

$1400 For Radiator Hoses On A Duramax???

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
This morning I was driving to work in Perris and going up the grade before the 60/215 split around 6:05am and I heard a ding and noticed a LOW ENGINE COOLANT message on my dash.
I thought that I was just low on coolant in the bottle and continued to drive. I went another 2-3 miles and glanced down at the temp gauge and notice it way over past the center mark.
Dammit, I blew a hose. I pulled over, got out and lifted the hood and could smell coolant right away. I shined my flashlight and saw the orange splatter all over the passengers side by the firewall
and steam rising.

I got my truck towed to the job and got things going, I then called to get it towed to Mark Christopher Chevrolet where I've had good luck. I then told the service writer that my truck is going to be towed in with a blown radiator hose,
since the truck's got 92,000 miles on it, go ahead and change all the hoses - I figured about $500-$600. I wasn't even close, it's more like $1400! Just for replacing the hoses and refilling the coolant -
granted it is a Duramax and I wouldn't even know where to start, but come on, $1400? The service writer did say that there are like 7-9 hoses and some of them look like tree branches with multiple lines coming off the main hoses and those are the expensive ones.

I remember when it was just 4 sometimes 5 hoses - the upper and lower radiator hoses, the 2 heater hoses and if you had a Ford or a big block GM engine there was the bypass hose between the water pump and the block. Those days are gone.

I hope they at least they offer me a kiss when I go to pick it up.

TBulger

Reaction score
I've never heard anybody say change all the hoses, is it really necessary? Change the broken one and get out of there.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The high end DMax (blue silicone) hoses are usually about $300 /$340 for a complete set. That's everything heater in & out, upper / lower radiator.
2 hours labor max.
That quote is ridiculous.
It's actually quite easy:

[video=youtube;gPQNktIhgJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQNktIhgJE[/video]

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
had a dodge dealer in costa mesa try to charge me 1400 to change all the fluids in my ram 3500 diesel. told him he was out of his fuckin mind and left. :thumbsdown

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I've never heard anybody say change all the hoses, is it really necessary? Change the broken one and get out of there.

I usually go about 100,000 miles on my hoses before I replace them - I'd rather pay the money than be stuck in the middle of the desert with at boat in tow with a blown hose that's inaccessible to get at
to wrap with duct tape as a band aid. Do I need to replace all of them? Probably not, but it sure puts my mind at ease for another 100,000 miles. Am I sucker, yeah probably - I just need it done so I can get my truck back.
I'm just blown away at how much it could be.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
That is pretty costly for some hoses. TPC mentioned some silicone ones. Those might be a better option since they would last longer than 100K miles.

Aaron

Reaction score
Not sure if you have already got it done but if not, try Domestic diesel in Chino. Good guys, honest and very reasonably priced.
Ask for John. He has always helped me put.
I used to take mine to Mark Christopher as well it they are very expensive.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Gates lower hose assembly can be had for 62 plus coolant you can be out for 100. Upper hose 12-16. Heater hose is just bulk hose, plus the firewall plastic fittings.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If I was only doing hoses and the coolant flush I'd go with an independent guy with RDP recommendations, but since I'm going to have some warranty work done anyways and this caught me by surprise, I'll just take it in the shorts this time, but next time I'll go see someone other than the dealer.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I usually go about 100,000 miles on my hoses before I replace them - I'd rather pay the money than be stuck in the middle of the desert with at boat in tow with a blown hose that's inaccessible to get at
to wrap with duct tape as a band aid. Do I need to replace all of them? Probably not, but it sure puts my mind at ease for another 100,000 miles. Am I sucker, yeah probably - I just need it done so I can get my truck back.
I'm just blown away at how much it could be.

I do the same and keep the old hoses wrapped in plastic under the back seat of the truck with an old serpentine belt.