WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Really sad

I bet every academy is going to screening this video hard now to make the spidey sense tingle when a dude says he needs to check himself first.

Dana757

Reaction score
I would say killing the dude = not putting up with it.

Husqy510

Reaction score
What a bummer. They gave him narcan, which woke him up from his Heroin induced coma. We just talked about this yesterday at my station. Nothing pisses off a user more than waisting his high, so we give just enough narcan to support their respiratory drive. Currently we deal with this on a daily basis

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Right or wrong, hurt feelers or not we should just sit back and let nature take it's course. Yes inhumane for someone in a bad spot in their life but we are literally saving the same people multiple times a week in some circumstances and they walk away debt/consequence free. Then they rob, hurt, go on terror's to feed their habit, breed and nothing happens. I speed, roll a stop sign etc. and get it up the ass. Less customers means less dealers means less crime means less innocent people hurt. I have family members on drugs,I am raising their kids and mine, I come from druggy worthless parent's and was raised by family members. I may be a cold mother fucker but many lives would be better off and many many less victims if we just let nature fix nature. This firefighter would be coming home to his family tonight if we just stepped back. I am sure in some twisted fucked way his family will have much more pain than just his loss. We hold zero accountability to bad people and they manage to twist shit racially or spin their wage earning bracket or lack there of and come after the people that are there saving their worthless lives. Rant over but videos like that make me sick I'm glad the POS died in the end. RIP life saving first responder RIP

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I never understood bringing these guys back.

I understand wanting too safe people, and I am for that when possible, but you can not change people. Only they can change themselves. This guy clearly was not you g to change

Husqy510

Reaction score
I never understood bringing these guys back.

I understand wanting too safe people, and I am for that when possible, but you can not change people. Only they can change themselves. This guy clearly was not you g to change
A lot of valid points.

The first rule of medicine is do no harm, so as long as we have the means to save a life we will.

The second point about patting down a patient is critical. We must have an officer pat down patients before we wake them up from their heroin induced coma. Unfortunately their aren't nearly enough cops do that, so we should only give enough Narcan to keep them breathing.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
new law pat down then treat...done
Many agency's already have that policy. What happens if they find something? Do they remove it or wait until Leo arives too secure it? What happens if the guy dies in the time it takes for them to arrive? Sadly lawyers get envoleved and all that does is cost money and make policy worse.

This really is one of those deals, your damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sadly in this case the do cost some one thier life.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
A lot of valid points.

The first rule of medicine is do no harm, so as long as we have the means to save a life we will.

The second point about patting down a patient is critical. We must have an officer pat down patients before we wake them up from their heroin induced coma. Unfortunately their aren't nearly enough cops do that, so we should only give enough Narcan to keep them breathing.

Not knowing about narcan dosing. Is that something that is easy to do or is it a guessing game based on how much you think is in thier system?

Both ways seem like a losing deal. No win all the way around.

Tank

Reaction score
You notice how absolutely polite and almost meek the officer is during the contact? Don't want to offend anyone, don't want to get sued for grabbing this guy and patting him down which is what should have been done. It's that second guessing, intimidation over lawsuits and complaints that caused this. I can 100% guarantee the officer is thinking, "ok, something is up here, but is this guy just being a dick because he is a dick and maybe wants to provoke me to sue or is he being a dick because he has a weapon?" Then the officer is thinking, "If I grab this guy, the fights on and he and/or I am going to get injured and then it's going to for sure be a lawsuit, especially if that is just a phone....." Etc. etc. Here's another huge problem...In Ca. (this is NY but I would venture to guess they have the same law) you can't be arrested for narcotic offenses if you're being aided medically (Narcan / treated for an OD). So now, does the officer even have a legal standing to search this guy? No crime has been committed. But I bet the Fire guys asked the police to search him before he's transported. The laws and lawsuits and entangled issues there-in are the undoing of a lot of safety out there. Common sense has been thrown out the window.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
A lot of valid points.

First rule of EMS is scene safety.

I think I would have done a full body scan prior to administering the narcan. Once a weapon is discovered we would clear the scene and let LE take over and disarm. But it's easy to armchair quarterback this one. I'll be sending this video to our EMS training director.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Not knowing about narcan dosing. Is that something that is easy to do or is it a guessing game based on how much you think is in thier system?

Both ways seem like a losing deal. No win all the way around.

Most EMS policies state that you titrate to respiratory drive, which basically means you give a little at a time until they are breathing enough to support life.

The problem is that doesn't always happen, for various reasons.

Husqy510

Reaction score
First rule of EMS is scene safety.

I think I would have done a full body scan prior to administering the narcan. Once a weapon is discovered we would clear the scene and let LE take over and disarm. But it's easy to armchair quarterback this one. I'll be sending this video to our EMS training director.

The first rule of medicine, and the first rule of EMS are different.

However, if you only give enough meds to keep them breathing, you don't have to worry about weapons. Additionally, most EMS and Fire personnel are not trained to do a proper search, which could result in a needle stick.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Ok so it is a simple thing. So can I ask what the average response time is for Leo? I live down a country road. The local sheriff is about 2 miles further down. Calling him at home would get him here in under 5 mins. A deputy is on average 20 mins. That is assuming one is free. Not many out there in this part of the county as it's pretty crime free. I think a lot of that is do to every one is armed at all times. When I hear a rifle go off, I wait for the " got um" or " damn it" I always know rather they got they coyote or not.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

However, if you only give enough meds to keep them breathing, you don't have to worry about weapons. Additionally, most EMS and Fire personnel are not trained to do a proper search, which could result in a needle stick.
Or worse, now needing to treat a gun shot wound... then again cops are not better at handling firearms..

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score

We don't train on searching patients for weapons. But as they say, the best patient is a naked patient! We'll just cut all his clothes off! :eek::D

I'm going to discuss this with our EMS training director but how do you determine what the correct dosage is to just keep them breathing?

Husqy510

Reaction score
Ok so it is a simple thing. So can I ask what the average response time is for Leo? I live down a country road. The local sheriff is about 2 miles further down. Calling him at home would get him here in under 5 mins. A deputy is on average 20 mins. That is assuming one is free. Not many out there in this part of the county as it's pretty crime free. I think a lot of that is do to every one is armed at all times. When I hear a rifle go off, I wait for the " got um" or " damn it" I always know rather they got they coyote or not.
Where I work the average response time for Fire/EMS is about 5min, LEO can vary drastically. If we put out a "help call" they get there quickly, which I appreciate. If we add PD for an overdose, I'll rarely see them, because they don't have the time or resources.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
So in other words you have to lie too them to get them too show up. Which I get is a staffing issue, but still sad

Husqy510

Reaction score
So in other words you have to lie too them to get them too show up. Which I get is a staffing issue, but still sad
Not at all, PD is stretched thin, so we only put out a help call when we need help. I never lie. That's not to say they couldn't use additional staffing

Yellowboat

Reaction score
You said if you add pd to an od call you early see them, but if you ask for help they show. Didn't you ask for help she you added pd for an od?

4Waters

Reaction score
Shit goes sideways quick, I've had secured scenes become unsecured in seconds with rounds going over my head and I've had to secure scenes of "unknown medical" calls that are self inflicted GSW, the patient is still conscious and moving reaching for the gun on the floor.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Hippocratic oath, I would imagine.
I understand from the Hippocratic oath point of view, what really irritates me is the public funding that is spent on all these losers over and over and over again.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Narcan should only be used to assist police officers, Fire Fighters, other first responder's along with innocent victims of overdose due to attack by someone using opioids as a weapon (IE Needles, Thrown in face, accidentally touched fentanyl etc.......it should never be used to bring back an over dosed POS like this guy.....I know officers that have to carry 4-5 doses because it gets that busy...

4Waters

Reaction score
Hippocratic oath, I would imagine.
Paramedics dont take that, that is why a paramedic is the one that pushes the lethal injection meds. Nurses and doctors take the oath so legally they can't push the meds.

PaPaG

Reaction score
When we have to pay $125.00 per dose and these fools are repeat ODers getting Narcan 2-3 and 4 times every week or two just think how much that costs the Tax Payer...As Robert Blake in Barretta used to say "Can't do the Time, Don't do the Crime" If you OD by being a drug user then I say let the cards fall where they may and if you end up Dead so be it, you were a waste on society anyway........I have to add in just think of the cost of all the LEO's, First Responders that have to be on site when one of these wastes of skin ODs...what a waste of resources that could be used saving the lives of innocent folks not these POS'

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Society "prolems" I guess.

Im not sayin youre wrong....just how it is.

I understand from the Hippocratic oath point of view, what really irritates me is the public funding that is spent on all these losers over and over and over again.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Paramedics dont take that, that is why a paramedic is the one that pushes the lethal injection meds. Nurses and doctors take the oath so legally they can't push the meds.

Interesting. Brings up a story from my young adulthood and riding streetbikes.

Last edited:

Husqy510

Reaction score
I don't believe that's true. We take an oath and the first rule is...

To conserve life, alleviate suffering, promote health, do no harm, and encourage the quality and equal availability of emergency medical care.

The reality is, this is a complex issue facing our country with no easy solution.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Heroin junkies have already decided to die high.
I see no reason to interfere.
In fact, if I see the particular junkie that stole my cameras and tore a hole in my wall I’ll certainly assist him in his goal towards mortality.
You reading this Jeffery?