WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who was the first manufacturer to go back to a full wrap around windshield?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Seems like they are the rage now and almost every manufacturer is using them. So who started the trend?

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Barbie
barbie.jpg

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I could be way off here but I want to say it's eliminator. Speedster came out in 08 I think. Can't think of anyone else doing them then.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Skater?

I don’t know just guessing

Last edited:

warlock250

Reaction score
History all ways repeats itself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GRADS

Reaction score
History all ways repeats itself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That's exactly what Bob Leach told me when he was tooling the first Speedster.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Pretty sure it was Cadillac with their ‘53 Eldo Convert???...

attitude

Reaction score
When it comes to current gen boats I would say RPM.

spectras only

Reaction score
Riva Aquaramas had wrap around windshields in the 60's, so did Barbarina in 1968 1600HP total with quad Lamborghinis to boot.
1600HP%20Barbarina.jpg

barba.jpg

Last edited:

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
Well ya, but the question was asking who was the first to go BACK to the wrap around. The answer above for RPM might be correct
Eliminator Daytona 24 had a full wrap in the late 80’s.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Seems like they are the rage now and almost every manufacturer is using them. So who started the trend?

Tunnel boat design, stepped hulls and wrap around windshields were invented over half a century ago. Get a life Grads....

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Not sure who started it but my uncles 1963 Starcraft had one.

Skiing.1.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
Look, I realize windshields have been a round since the beginning of time.:rolleyes: My question is which manufacturer started the trend as of late? Most new boats have a windshield now....just like the decade before every boat had canopies.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Look, I realize windshields have been a round since the beginning of time.:rolleyes: My question is which manufacturer started the trend as of late? Most new boats have a windshield now....just like the decade before every boat had canopies.
Who really cares? Do these type of questions keep you awake at night?

lavey jr

Reaction score
I want to say MTI ?

That's most likely the true answer because I think MTI put their wrap around windshield 39 into pleasure boat production in 2004, but I think GRADS was talking about West coast manufacturers. Too bad this thread will either die out or turn into a let's bag on GRADS post haha because I was really looking forward to this debate.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
That's most likely the true answer because I think MTI put their wrap around windshield 39 into pleasure boat production in 2004, but I think GRADS was talking about West coast manufacturers. Too bad this thread will either die out or turn into a let's bag on GRADS post haha because I was really looking forward to this debate.
Hey Jr or Uncle D, I sure like how well Lavey integrated Skater's Canopy into their 2750 race boats. Does the EVO use a modified version of Skater Canopy?
race+with+closed+cockpit.JPG
DSC01852+1500x1000.jpg

lavey 3.jpg

lavey jr

Reaction score
Hey Jr or Uncle D, I sure like how well Lavey integrated Skater's Canopy into their 2750 race boats. Does the EVO use a modified version of Skater Canopy?
View attachment 673220 View attachment 673221
View attachment 673227

Yes, back in 2005 Lavey bought a canopy directly from Peter Hledin of Skater Powerboats, I remember the day at Lavey when it arrived and it was addressed From: Peter Hledin Skater Powerboats To: Laveycraft Performance Boats. This deal was not anything like the common "splash" that a lot of manufactures have done of other peoples design. Both companies made a deal and agreement with all knowledge that Lavey will be using that base canopy design in all further production. Although, Lavey did make slight changes to the canopy to better improve the lines for the 28 EVO and they also did change the actual windshield area of the canopy. In other words, if you tried to put the Lavey canopy back into the original Skater mold, it will not fit or be exact and if you tried to use the Lavey windshields in a Skater it won't fit.

The 28 EVO model did originally start off as their 28 SVL race boat but throughout the design phase Lavey made the cockpit liner to accommodate rear seats and other pleasure use features along with a mold insert to make it an open top wraparound windshield.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Yes, back in 2005 Lavey bought a canopy directly from Peter Hledin of Skater Powerboats, I remember the day at Lavey when it arrived and it was addressed From: Peter Hledin Skater Powerboats To: Laveycraft Performance Boats. This deal was not anything like the common "splash" that a lot of manufactures have done of other peoples design. Both companies made a deal and agreement with all knowledge that Lavey will be using that base canopy design in all further production. Although, Lavey did make slight changes to the canopy to better improve the lines for the 28 EVO and they also did change the actual windshield area of the canopy. In other words, if you tried to put the Lavey canopy back into the original Skater mold, it will not fit or be exact and if you tried to use the Lavey windshields in a Skater it won't fit.

The 28 EVO model did originally start off as their 28 SVL race boat but throughout the design phase Lavey made the cockpit liner to accommodate rear seats and other pleasure use features along with a mold insert to make it an open top wraparound windshield.

I was having my first Lavey built at the same time. Either Ron Morgan or Jeff told me all about it, those were exciting times, I went and watched KC & BG(I think) race the first one up in Delta at Pittsburg. I was hooked, traded my 05' 21XTski back in to build 07' 2750……...