WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Who can help me with a winch issue???

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
I have a Superwinch Husky 10 that I can't get to work. First thing first, this thing is basically brand new and has never been mounted to a bumper or been outside more than 2 minutes. I ran it in March and it has been sitting since. I rencently moved and took all the wires off to make it easier. Last night I tried to hook it all back up with no luck. I attached it just as this wiring diagram shows. I also do not currently have a remote for it so I was just using a jumper wire to jump the solenoid. When I did that the short wire that goes from the motor ground to the battery ground went up in smoke. Any ideas what I did wrong???

which.jpg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Looking at that diagram, it says the plate the solenoids are mounted to must be grounded. The small wire that it shows going to ground is not enough ground to run the motor. If that was your only ground you probably at minimum smoked that wire by trying to draw too much current through it.

Director...
Reaction score
Also, if the front end has been repainted, with the bumper off, then the attach points will be coated with paint as well, and will not provide any ground.

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
That wire through me for a loop. The power wire is a 2-4 ga than they have the ground at an 8 ga. The way I was taught was your ground wire should at minimum be the same gauge if not bigger than your power wire.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Put the trans in free and test just the motor with jumper cables and rule out the motor. Been there done that. I have owned several winches over the years and I did have a bad motor one time and it was a superwinch.

Last edited:

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
How would I jump the motor? I tried hooking the red to ground and putting power to both the blue and yellow. Neither did anything at all. I believe that I have read something somewhere that jumping them is more complicated than how I did it.