WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

white water (morongo)

brgrcru

Reaction score
where in the hell is all that water coming from ?
its been flowing like that all year
I looked at satellite and cant see any storage lakes.
am I missing something?

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
Whitewaterrivermap.jpg

brgrcru

Reaction score
still don't see , where water is coming from down the canyon? I see no storage facility on satellite.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
On google map (non satellite) if you close in and go up towards Big Bear, you can see all the different streams

Constant840

Reaction score
The east side of San Gorgonio. 11k+ elevation.

West side can be hiked. Though I beleive the trails are officially closed through the end of the year due to to fire danger.

c_land

Reaction score
It comes from the Colorado river aqueduct. The CVWD runs it down the river to the recharge ponds and they sink it to recharge the basin.

A portion of it is runoff from the mountains, but the majority is from the aqueduct.

The CVWD has an allotment from the state water project (Delta Water from norcal), but no infrastructure to transport that water to them. So CVWD trades the State Water allotments for Colorado River Aqueduct Allotments.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
It dumps into a settling pond over by windy point and the windmills

brgrcru

Reaction score
I see that , but the snow has been melted for 5 months or longer. and I just cant seem to think springs will produce that amount of flow?
some years there is nothing. this year the entire summer it has been flowing like crazy

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
It comes from the Colorado river aqueduct. The CVWD runs it down the river to the recharge ponds and they sink it to recharge the basin.

A portion of it is runoff from the mountains, but the majority is from the aqueduct.

The CVWD has an allotment from the state water project (Delta Water from norcal), but no infrastructure to transport that water to them. So CVWD trades the State Water allotments for Colorado River Aqueduct Allotments.
Yup! About 500-600 cfs being released from the CRA [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

brgrcru

Reaction score

how far up the canyon is water being released?

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
Whitewater River (California)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Whitewater River
Country
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
State
23px-Flag_of_California.svg.png
California
Tributaries
- left Mission Creek[1],Garnet Wash [3],Thousand Palm Canyon Wash[4]
- right South Fork Whitewater River[2],San Gorgonio River,Chino Wash,Palm Canyon Wash[5],Cathedral Canyon [6]
Cities Palm Springs, Cathedral City,Palm Desert, Indio, Coachella,Mecca
Source Confluence of North and Middle Forks [7][8]
- location Near San Gorgonio Mountain, San Bernardino Mountains, San Bernardino County
- elevation 4,787 ft (1,459 m)
- coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
34°03′48″N 116°44′50″W [9]
Mouth Salton Sea
- location South of Mecca, Riverside County
- elevation −233 ft (−71 m)
- coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
33°30′30″N 116°03′26″WCoordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
33°30′30″N 116°03′26″W [9]
Length 53.9 mi (87 km) [10]
Basin 1,500 sq mi (3,885 km2)
Discharge for Indio
- average 3.53 cu ft/s (0 m3/s) [11]
- max 11,400 cu ft/s (323 m3/s)
- min 0 cu ft/s (0 m3/s)

The course of the Whitewater River highlighted on a map of the Salton Sea drainage basin
The Whitewater River is a small permanent stream in western Riverside County, California, with a small upstream section in southwestern San Bernardino County. Its headwaters are in the San Bernardino Mountains and mouth—terminus in the Colorado Desert. The Whitewater River is in the endorheic Salton Sea drainage basin.

The community of Whitewater is named after the river. In 2010 Huell Howser Productions, in association with KCET/Los Angeles, featured the river and nearby community in California's Gold.[12]

Contents
Geography[edit]
San Bernardino Mountains[edit]
The Whitewater River has three significant tributaries: the North, Middle and South Forks, all within the Sand to Snow National Monument.

The North Fork begins in the subalpine zone at about 10,000' (3,000 m.) on San Gorgonio Mountain and descends steeply southeast to the Middle Fork, which flows east through a wide arroyo. The South Fork flows northeast through a narrower wooded canyon, joining the Middle Fork lower down. The upper watershed is in the San Gorgonio Wilderness and San Bernardino National Forest, then it reaches land managed by the Bureau of Land Management. Below the confluences the arroyo is at least 1/2 mile (1 km.) wide, paved with accumulations of boulders, gravel and sand brought down by floods and brushy except in stream channels cleared by floodwaters. Due to floods and shifting channels there is almost no riparian forestdevelopment, except very locally along unnamed minor tributaries with relatively stable channels.

The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) enters the arroyo from the north and follows it downstream to a trailhead at the Whitewater Preserve, owned by The Wildlands Conservancy.[13] A few fish have escaped upstream, establishing a small population of wild but non-native Rainbow Trout. These fish are confined to places where there is shade or tributaries with cooler water. Apparently they are not sufficiently adapted to elevated summer temperatures to colonize the rest of the stream.

Coachella Valley[edit]
Below the PCT trailhead the enclosing hills fall away so the arroyo exits from the San Bernardino Mountains near Morongo Valley into the western Coachella Valley. The San Gorgonio River which rises further west on the south side of San Gorgonio Mountain then joins it. Garnet Wash, Mission Creek, Chino Canyon Wash, Palm Canyon Wash, Cathedral Canyon and Thousand Palm Canyon Wash also join, but the water mainly penetrates through the porous desert floor, providing groundwater recharging of the Coachella Valley aquifer.

Before approaching Palm Springs, the Whitewater River is fed imported water from the Colorado River Aqueduct, managed by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.[14] During rare floods, surface water may reach the endorheic basin of the Salton Sea, below sea level.

C-2

Reaction score
Informative thread guys, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Never knew that :)

3.Slow

Reaction score

good information, I knew CRA water was traded for SPW but never knew where exactly. I've been on 2 CRA inspection trips, surprised they dont point that out.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
We stopped there once when the 10 had some traffic on the way home from the lake... was pretty fun.

But heard recently that some dude got swept away and banged up on the rocks trying to save his son.

https://www.kesq.com/news/cal-fire-crews-searching-whitewater-river-for-2-3-people/790077879

We pick up loads of rocks from Bizz next door. RAider nation hangout by the bridge. I made a comment last time how powerful and fast the river was running. They use rocks to build dams to hold the water back and they lounge around, but the river around is very swift.

Brian

Reaction score
I think one year they slowed the flow down and stocked it with trout for fishing.

c_land

Reaction score
good information, I knew CRA water was traded for SPW but never knew where exactly. I've been on 2 CRA inspection trips, surprised they dont point that out.

I got to go on one trip in 2014. The pumping plant at havasu and the copper basin dam were some of the coolest things I have seen.

Dept. of Water Resources expanded state water project infrastructure from Highland to a reservoir in yucaipa earlier this year. it is called the East Branch Extension. The reservoir's elevation allows SWP water to access the San Gorgonio Pass Water Agency. Maybe one day they will expand further to the Coachella Valley.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
They gotta justify the draught

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk