WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Which gps app for off-roading?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I did a iPad mount in the rzr to use as a gps I have the onx off road app right now but was wondering what else is out there I have heard of leadnav what at are you guys using by the way anyone looking to do gps for cheap this seems Like the best bang for your buck

2Driver

Reaction score
I switched to Gaia and really like it. I had leadnav and really didn’t like it. IMO it would be great if you were racing but as a GPS Nav I found it way more race course oriented then I needed. Others will chime in. BTW Motion X is no longer available

GAIA has a ton of different map overlays which is really cool Sat, Sat with labels Sat with topo, old topos from 1930-1980 ( cool for finding old stuff the new maps removed) NPS maps, recent snow pack maps. You can also turn on public routes and see where others have gone which is super helpful. I use that to find new places to go. The other cool thing is that one subscription works and syncs automatically to your desktop, iPhone and I pad. I can work on my desktop and it will be on my ipad automatically.

Most important you can download the map portion of your trip to be resident on your device so if you lose all connection you have the map.

You can download GAIA GPS and use the base topo for free. If you down load the free app and wait they will start sending you discount codes to buy the premium package If you wait a few days.

Last edited:

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I also use Gaia! I have a tablet mount in my razor and use a Samsung tablet. The amount of map overlays Gaia offers is crazy. I pay for the yearly membership which is I believe $30. I found it to be much more useful than On-x IMO. I also have a backup App on my iPhone that I also use occasionally use called guru maps. you can download specific information on a certain area just in case the satellites can't find you 😂😂

Reactions: TPC

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I also use Gaia! I have a tablet mount in my razor and use a Samsung tablet. The amount of map overlays Gaia offers is crazy. I pay for the yearly membership which is I believe $30. I found it to be much more useful than On-x IMO. I also have a backup App on my iPhone that I also use occasionally use called guru maps. you can download specific information on a certain area just in case the satellites can't find you 😂😂

Would you say it’s more user friendly then onx is?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Gaia seems the most reliable.

OnX is intermittent and can be hard to reset for a new adventure. It can be fussy and stubborn.
And it'll list old trails/turnoffs/dog legs that are long closed and over-grown and ya really need to hold that thought because that'll confuse you.
Also it's grouchy and dizzy about loading your paid memberships and upgrades. We had to call them several times and it may have defaulted back to the basic.

But the OnX people will help you almost immediately.

If an app shows Husky Monument and the Trona pinnacles and the Galena area in So Dak then chances are it's on the ball and will at least get you around the block.

Up in Sturgis/Galena 5 years ago the only app that was any good was AllTrails. That may have since changed.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
we use Gaia, I really like it. On a samsung tablet

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Had motion X and liked it but switched to lead nav this year and like it much better.
153A2C74-87AE-45BB-9E41-5C02FE451569.png

2Driver

Reaction score
Dose it work for an iPad as well

Yes read my first post.

Another cool map overlay are the cell coverage maps. they work pretty good so you can see where you have coverage should you need to make a phone call. you can see the closest point to you where you may get a bar or 2

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

DLC

Reaction score
I have the lowrance on the dash and also use my phone w/ Gaia

one is zoomed in tight and the other is zoomed out. Works great! Phone is mounted up by the rear view mirror.

Singleton

Reaction score
Been using LeadNav for a few years. Took time to get used to it and have a dedicated GPS puck for it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My main gps system is braille, second is intuition, 3rd is following someone else, 4th is google earth views.
I want a dedicated tablet & mount but not in any hurry, yet.

2Driver

Reaction score
My main gps system is braille, second is intuition, 3rd is following someone else, 4th is google earth views.
How did we get anywhere back in the day without GPS.

Of course now its not “out farting around” its overlanding 🤡

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Had motion X and liked it but switched to lead nav this year and like it much better.
0AC7296C-9203-4E1D-80D9-FCA911F2591D.png

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

There were maps, they had to be thumbed through page by page vs at your fingertips instantly.

Jonas Grumby

The Skipper
Reaction score
I’m back in the sxs game again, so setting up a older iPad with garmin glo2. Seems most peps like Gaia app. Is there anything new or thoughts on better app?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I use Gaia to build GPX files and load them on to my Garmin Zumo XT (motorcycle). I have also used Gaia with my phone on my handlebars as a backup to my Garmin, but I have since only used my Garmin. I really dig seeing public tracks on Gaia while I'm building my trip, I see what others do and someone always knows about a secret spot I should go it. I hear onxoff is great but don't know enough about it to make an opinion. Gaia is super easy to use has everything I need.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
If I have an iPad, that only works on Wi-Fi, can I use that as a GPS with one of these apps? How does that work. I have a couple iPads we don’t use. Might as well buy a case and mount and try one out.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
If I have an iPad, that only works on Wi-Fi, can I use that as a GPS with one of these apps? How does that work. I have a couple iPads we don’t use. Might as well buy a case and mount and try one out.

Yes, it works through the GPS technology on your iPad or Phone. Cell service or Wifi not needed for navigation.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Yes, it works through the GPS technology on your iPad or Phone. Cell service or Wifi not needed for navigation.

Ok cool. I had no idea that would work. I’m excited to get a mount and case and check it out

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I have been using MotionX for years, It is still my go-to, but I purchased OnX this week. We'll see how that compares to MotionX. I've got a Garmin Montana with InReach as well.

hman442

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the iPad that's wifi only does not have the GPS either. IIRC a fellow has to have the cellular model in order to have the GPS "chip". You can get a deal that bluetooths GPS to your iPad though, like this one:
Screenshot_20230204_092422_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
@2Driver
Thanks for the heads up on GAIA.
Just downloaded it. I've got a different use in mind.
I'm planning a night time milky way photo shoot and the place I want to boat to is about 10 miles below walters camp.
I was trying to figure out how the hell I was going to get there and back in the middle of the night under a dark moon.
I'll try it out to get used to it, and maybe do a couple daytime runs to prior to test it . . . but this looks like exactly what I was looking for.
👍🙏

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I've been using Gaia for years but currently I am not planning on off-roading in the near or even distant future.
The 4.0 engine in my Jeep Grand Cherokee is knocking big time. Perhaps a broken piston skirt or a rod bearing. It has 200k on it and how it was treated prior to me who knows.

I have been ignoring their Premium renewal but the fuckers are relentlessly banging my Wells Fargo Card with the wrong date.
I'll have to get online and sort it out.

Best app so far that I've used

Last edited:
Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
OnX has fast customer service. Sometimes they show trails that have been closed and grown over for years but generally been really good.
Google Maps can be good in a pinch but not always showing trails.
Wife uses Ride command and loves it.

Bobs BetaMax and Bell Bottoms has a map section. Also a cigarette section where RD gets his Raleigh Filter Kings by the carton.

Wife loves to get lost out in the nowhere everything is a million miles from.
I never let the Can Am get past half a tank of gas. Trouble is at 1/4 level reading on the gauge, the tank is empty.
Lots of anxiety but I STFU,, it's her thrill.

vhiBcf5.gif

AAA used to have great maps. Detailed and on durable paper. Now tissue thin, cheapo graphics, almost one time use and nowhere near the cool landmarks and curiosity stops listed.

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the iPad that's wifi only does not have the GPS either. IIRC a fellow has to have the cellular model in order to have the GPS "chip". You can get a deal that bluetooths GPS to your iPad though, like this one:
View attachment 1196027

I was wrong… You’re right, the GPS chip is found on the cellular iPads. Bummer

RiverCruiser

Reaction score
If I have an iPad, that only works on Wi-Fi, can I use that as a GPS with one of these apps? How does that work. I have a couple iPads we don’t use. Might as well buy a case and mount and try one o
You can connect it to your phone via hotspot and it will work.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

DeLorme atlas and an 8D Mag light.
8D Mag light is enough to drive with if the Jeep headlights fail.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
OnX has fast customer service. Sometimes they show trails that have been closed and grown over for years but generally been really good.
Google Maps can be good in a pinch but not always showing trails.
Wife uses Ride command and loves it.

Bobs BetaMax and Bell Bottoms has a map section. Also a cigarette section where RD gets his Raleigh Filter Kings by the carton.

Wife loves to get lost out in the nowhere everything is a million miles from.
I never let the Can Am get past half a tank of gas. Trouble is at 1/4 level reading on the gauge, the tank is empty.
Lots of anxiety but I STFU,, it's her thrill.

vhiBcf5.gif

AAA used to have great maps. Detailed and on durable paper. Now tissue thin, cheapo graphics, almost one time use and nowhere near the cool landmarks and curiosity stops listed.

Put the 14 gallon tank in the Can Am. :)

Outdrive1

Reaction score
There’s so much you need to learn to get the most out of GAIA. I was up late last night watching videos on it. I feel like I need a class to learn how to use it properly. 😳

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I barley figured out how to post gifs and videos on here for the life of me I can figure out that fucking onx offroad app🤬🤬

v6toy4x

Reaction score
commenting so I can find this when I need it, some good info for me thx

Good Stuff

Reaction score
@2Driver
Thanks for the heads up on GAIA.
Just downloaded it. I've got a different use in mind.
I'm planning a night time milky way photo shoot and the place I want to boat to is about 10 miles below walters camp.
I was trying to figure out how the hell I was going to get there and back in the middle of the night under a dark moon.
I'll try it out to get used to it, and maybe do a couple daytime runs to prior to test it . . . but this looks like exactly what I was looking for.
👍🙏
I have used the Navionics boating app with good success at Lake Powell. I liked it because you can create a track and follow it. There was a free trial option and then I just subscribed to it for the following years. Had the entire Colorado river in it as far as I know but can’t tell you how accurate it is down in the lower river for sandbars.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I have used the Navionics boating app with good success at Lake Powell. I liked it because you can create a track and follow it. There was a free trial option and then I just subscribed to it for the following years. Had the entire Colorado river in it as far as I know but can’t tell you how accurate it is down in the lower river for sandbars.
Thanks !
I totally forgot about the Navionics app . . . . I also had a free trial years ago, but only used it in the ocean.
I would only need to have a 'Track Trail' from my run in daylight down river. . . then be able to follow it back after dark.
Thanks again for the heads up. 🙏👌

Orange Juice

Reaction score
From my understanding, You either are using cell phone towers to locate your position, or your using GPS, which needs a special antenna, like the one on top of your car.

If you are in a canyon, chances are your cell signal is not available.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
From my understanding, You either are using cell phone towers to locate your position, or your using GPS, which needs a special antenna, like the one on top of your car.

If you are in a canyon, chances are your cell signal is not available.

I ordered the Dual puck just in case.

FE7A5EFD-B0B4-4D9E-ACA5-AB572741243E.png