WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where to donate clothes, golf clubs, etc? Goodwill? Salvation Army?

SHEP

Reaction score
I did some serious cleaning of my closet and garage this weekend. I have a few bags full of clothes and other random items I'd like to donate. Is one better than the other? Does it matter?

Thanks,

SHEP

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I donate to Goodwill. Get a receipt for taxes. :)

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Depending on your area and your needs. We used to drop off at our church or kids school. We dont benefit from the taxes so we do what is good for us as far as location and drop off times.

For us it is more convient to drop off at Goodwill.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Goodwill has been getting very picky about what the accept lately, but they seem to have locations everywhere. Salvation Army used to only have drop offs a couple times a week out of a container in a mall parking lot, so I stopped going there purely for convenience. The only other one I’ve been to, is in an old supermarket near my house. They do more of a drive thru to drop things off and are much nicer and more helpful than I’ve found the others to be. I think it’s called Sav-mor or something like that. I’ll look when I drive by this afternoon.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We donate to which ever one is easiest and dialed in.
Sometimes one or the other is over-whelmed with donations and we get turned away, so it's who ever lets us hit and run.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Goodwill is convenient, but it is not a charity. I’ve read it is privately owned by one guy. And he makes major bucks off of it.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Goodwill==for profit do not donate to them
Red Cross = for profit

DAV is my go place (Disabled veterans) a true nonprofit
or a local children's women center David & Margaret Youth and Family Services
if in the pomona valley area
Goodwill is convenient, but it is not a charity. I’ve read it is privately owned by one guy. And he makes major bucks off of it.
Wiki says non profit. History of Goodwill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries

4Waters

Reaction score
We have an ASPCA place here in Simi and they will gladly take anything, check and see if there is an ASPCA donation center near you.

2Driver

Reaction score
Goodwill==for profit do not donate to them
Red Cross = for profit

DAV is my go place (Disabled veterans) a true nonprofit
or a local children's women center David & Margaret Youth and Family Services
if in the pomona valley area

^ This. Kiwanis in many areas can also be good and most of the folks are volunteers, not 6 figure salary folks like many other charities, but you have to check.

I know you just want to dump some clothes but, you'd be surprised how many so called charities are not doing much charity and really most of your donations go to salaries and executives, rent, marketing T&E etc. F' if I'm giving them a pair of used underwear.

Go to Charity Navigator and by pass their ratings and read the IRS 990 filing of the charity you are considering ( you have to create a log in but its worth it) . Notice how much goes to staff and management salary, pension and health benefits to staff, advertising, fund raising marketing costs. LOL 1/2 million spent on printing and guess who owns the printing company? You'd be doing good if 40% of your dollar reaches the intended purpose you are trying to help and that is the good ones.

:)
IMG_3294.PNG

Last edited:

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Wiki says non profit. History of Goodwill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries

strait from wiki
A 2013 article on Watchdog.org reported that Goodwill's tax returns showed that more than 100 Goodwills pay less than minimum wage while simultaneously paying more than $53.7 million in total compensation to top executives.[30] Douglas Barr, former CEO of the Goodwill of Southern California, was the highest paid Goodwill executive in the country.[31] He received total compensation worth $1,188,733, including a base salary of $350,200, bonuses worth $87,550, retirement benefits of $71,050, and $637,864 in other reportable compensation.[30] "In 2011, the Columbia Willamette Goodwill, one of the largest in the country, says it paid $922,444 incommensurate wages to approximately 250 people with developmental disabilities. These employees worked 159,584 hours for an average hourly wage of $5.78. The lowest paid worker received just $1.40 per hour."[30]

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
These massive salaries for "charitable" organizations are simply outrageous and fly in the face of the meaning and sentiment of the word "charity". No problem with a "decent" salary for a hard working CEO of a charitable organization , but the millions some CEO's are making are sinful.

sirbob

Reaction score
I spread it around.

Some stuff goes to Goodwill and other stuff goes to a couple of local charities in town that run thrift stores to raise money. 1 is for homeless families and one is for kids with problems.

I like to end each year with 3-5 "golden coupons". i.e. recipes from the charities.

whipple charged

Reaction score
we used to give to some of those companies till we found out about there out for there own pockets..
we now do a yard garage sale booze fest party and its become a big deal and everyone has so much fun and we make a few bucks in our pockets..
its now twice a year with 5 households and still growing with folks that join in on the fun....

playdeep

Reaction score
Our local homeless shelter has a thrift store.
They have people who fix things that need fixing&then sell the items.
Clothes everything else is gladly accepted.
The money buys food,toiletries etc.
That's where I always take my stuff.

As others have pointed out...Goodwill=no bueno.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This leaves me in a quandary as well.
I haven’t gone through Debs stuff yet, but I know I will have to eventually.
Val doesn’t wear the style of clothes Deb did, neither does her sisters.
Deb has literally row after row and drawer after drawer of nice stuff.
She has mounds of jewelry that she made. Some of the necklaces she made would sell for over $100 easy, and she sold them all the time.
I gave away all her beading and jewelry “parts” to her best friend who beads, as well as all her tools and stuff. But still have a bunch of her finished work.
I want her clothes and jewelry to go where it might do the most good for someone, but now have no idea where that might be.
I think I might eventually contact the non denom church where we had the services, maybe that’s the best way to go?

calkid

Reaction score
We usually wait and take everything to the Hospice Retail Store in Havasu. Great people and an awesome cause.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
This leaves me in a quandary as well.
I haven’t gone through Debs stuff yet, but I know I will have to eventually.
Val doesn’t wear the style of clothes Deb did, neither does her sisters.
Deb has literally row after row and drawer after drawer of nice stuff.
She has mounds of jewelry that she made. Some of the necklaces she made would sell for over $100 easy, and she sold them all the time.
I gave away all her beading and jewelry “parts” to her best friend who beads, as well as all her tools and stuff. But still have a bunch of her finished work.
I want her clothes and jewelry to go where it might do the most good for someone, but now have no idea where that might be.
I think I might eventually contact the non denom church where we had the services, maybe that’s the best way to go?
There is always consignment stores. Then you can send the profits to any charity you like.

fmo24

Reaction score
We usually wait and take everything to the Hospice Retail Store in Havasu. Great people and an awesome cause.
X2 was going to suggest your local hospice thrift store or women’s shelter if there is a thrift store. Men’s winter type jackets we just took directly to the shelter and dropped at front desk.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
There is always consignment stores. Then you can send the profits to any charity you like.

Might be a solid option.
Ive always felt best giving to the Ronald McDonald houses.