WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What’s the deal with all the paper license plates?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
2578E821-D26D-4054-A6BE-BC09B21A3783.jpeg
Seeing these paper plates all over now. They look like you could print them off a printer at home. Anyone know what they are?

Roaddawg

Reaction score
New requirement as of January 1 All new cars will get them They have the vin and an experition date on them and can be run to get the registered owner info

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Temporary. Since dealer type paper plates are no more.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
No more running the toll roads for free.

The sole reason they did this per my GM dealership. I've got them on my new truck and hate them. I wish they would just give you your actual plates at the dealership and not have to deal with a fucking post it note style plate.

Fun fact, it is not the actual plate number you will be ultimately be provided.... only in California, lol.

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Everytime ive bought a new vehicle its taken several weeks to get plates from the DMV. Just bought a new truck couple weeks ago and had plates in about 5 days. Being in CA it kind of blew me away they came so fast.

D19

Reaction score
AZ has been doing this for as long as I can remember. I am glad CA is doing it. It helps keep people from driving like jerks, evading tolls, not paying reg fees and hit-n-runs. I can't believe some people are still running the dealer plates. If I was a cop, I would be pulling everyone over who with "dealer" plates since dealerships stopped issuing them a long time ago. LOL

Fun fact, it is not the actual plate number you will be ultimately be provided.... only in California, lol.

Wow! How dumb is that? I guess the DMV's logic is that they create more jobs by making the process more difficult and lengthy.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
New requirement as of January 1 All new cars will get them They have the vin and an experition date on them and can be run to get the registered owner info

Law went into effect as of Jan 1st but there was a grace period of 90 days for everyone to get their shit together. This is the reason you are seeing them on every Car now. Biggest problem is.... all cars leaving the dealership have to have them on the front bumper too. Well, a lot of high end buyers don’t want their front bumpers drilled. An alternative was to put a plate mount on the tow hook attachment. The problem with that is all the sensors the new cars have installed in the front bumper. The plate obstruction makes them not work and get error messages.

MohavValley

Reaction score
Burgly crews where running old school paper plates, this helps a lot to establish chain of responsibility, until they figure out how to use a printer and just started making there own. Hopefully it'll be a while until that happens.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Do the dealers print these? I noticed that the vehicle VIN # is printed on the paper along with other info that I can’t remember.

CA wanted their lost money from tolls and red light cameras.

The dealer I bought my 2017 Focus from didn’t mount the front license plate bracket. It wasn’t in the trunk, and a follow-up netted me nothing. Now I have to spend $60 for the stupid bracket to have just in case.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Also since dealership is required to put paper plates on cars they drill every single front bumper of new cars now. So ugly. Bought a Subaru a few weeks ago and it was a requirement as soon as the car came off the truck.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thanks for the information since I've wondered about that. Seems would be much easier if that was the plate number you were eventually going to be assigned.

The sole reason they did this per my GM dealership. I've got them on my new truck and hate them. I wish they would just give you your actual plates at the dealership and not have to deal with a fucking post it note style plate.

Spectra18

Reaction score
AZ has been doing this for as long as I can remember. I am glad CA is doing it. It helps keep people from driving like jerks, evading tolls, not paying reg fees and hit-n-runs. I can't believe some people are still running the dealer plates. If I was a cop, I would be pulling everyone over who with "dealer" plates since dealerships stopped issuing them a long time ago. LOL

Wow! How dumb is that? I guess the DMV's logic is that they create more jobs by making the process more difficult and lengthy.
Cops aren’t pulling anyone over !!!
Trickle effect from Sacramento to Los Angeles.

sirbob

Reaction score
Law went into effect as of Jan 1st but there was a grace period of 90 days for everyone to get their shit together. This is the reason you are seeing them on every Car now. Biggest problem is.... all cars leaving the dealership have to have them on the front bumper too. Well, a lot of high end buyers don’t want their front bumpers drilled. An alternative was to put a plate mount on the tow hook attachment. The problem with that is all the sensors the new cars have installed in the front bumper. The plate obstruction makes them not work and get error messages.

With a new purchase now they make you sign an acknowledgment that the front plate is required - more paper work so the dealer can say the buyer knew they needed plate but didn't accept it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

No different than it was before with the paper temporary taped to the windshield. Those had sequential numbers on them that had zero association to the eventual plate number too.
Difference being that now with the new temp plates the cops don't need to pull you over to check.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Did they have you sign an acknowledgement regarding leaving the Calif required front plate off at your request and that you have been provided with the necessary hardware to do so if you choose to install it at a later date?
No?
Ooopsie;);)
The dealer I bought my 2017 Focus from didn’t mount the front license plate bracket. It wasn’t in the trunk, and a follow-up netted me nothing. Now I have to spend $60 for the stupid bracket to have just in case.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
No different than it was before with the paper temporary taped to the windshield. Those had sequential numbers on them that had zero association to the eventual plate number too.
Difference being that now with the new temp plates the cops don't need to pull you over to check.

EXACLY! new system is much simpler and quick, all done online and you drive away with vehicle in your name, dealer just mails the docs in. Don't see the down side here.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Did they have you sign an acknowledgement regarding leaving the Calif required front plate off at your request and that you have been provided with the necessary hardware to do so if you choose to install it at a later date?
No?
Ooopsie;);)

Nope. Didn’t sign anything to that effect. Actually, I didn’t even request them not to put the front plate on. Somebody missed it during dealer prep and the car sat on lot for 7 months. The bracket is held on by pop rivot type fasteners, but they never punched the holes.

wiredguy

Reaction score

Just got home from Miami. They are all over Florida also and Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dribble

Reaction score
No downside. In December I was at a local upscale outdoor mall waiting for the GF to come out of Victorias Secret. Watch a newer car drop off a woman and two teenage boys. They hung out for a minute and I knew something was up. They ran in the store and grabbed bundles of stuff and ran out just as the car was pulling back up. I jumped out and ran to the back of the car and low and behold a dealer paper plate. Worthless. I was almost able to grab one of them fucks but he gave me the slip.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Going to make it a lot harder for vehicle thieves and those who never register their sales transactions. I'm sure the toll roads had a huge part of this, but it goes a lot further then that. The ghetto is going to be cleaned up of paper-plated cars real quick. No valid reason to run them now.

DaBank

Reaction score
The new plate plate make such noise in the wind when sitting at a stop light, it need to be thicker gauge.
I figured with the new paper plates would also eliminate a RS (report of sale) on the windshield but it does not so, just more work and money for the dealer and that is passed onto the buyer.
Dmv registration services,AAA stock license plates and give them to their clients it is about time dealers should be able to do the same. Would save money and time but California likes to have 8 people involved to do a one person job.

nameisbond

Reaction score
We have the paper plates for temp trips. Our DMV services are done by independent owned and operated insurance brokers. They come to the dealer to do everything including new plates. But if I buy out of province, all I need is the cars vin. The insurance agent will give paper plates good for 30 days, plus insurance. The plates and insurance are good for the USA.